SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Vancouver Canucks signed Quinn Hughes (6 Years / $7,850,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Oct. 1, 2021 at 8:44 p.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: Gmonwy
Okay thats why you hate him. Why do you hat him

spelling mistake 😠
Oct. 1, 2021 at 10:18 p.m.
I make Articals.
YESSSSSSS
Oct. 1, 2021 at 10:54 p.m.
I can't stress enough what a huge disadvantage it would have been for Vancouver to miss these two for the entirety of camp. If they're gonna bounce back this season, they need their best players on the ice now. Glad to see the two sides compromise.
Oct. 2, 2021 at 10:11 a.m.
This is really bad news for Seattle. QH43 is easily the best offensive defenseman in the league and is getting paid $1.85M more than Tyler Myers.
Oct. 2, 2021 at 12:40 p.m.
VanFan12
Quoting: Roysboy72
You know, I’m almost a little happy Detroit passed on Hughes and got Zadina instead. A full-on offensive defenseman with limited to no defense that gets paid like Hedman feels like a great player to watch, but a headache overall. I hope he fixes his defense (it’s in the position, defenseman), and if he does this deal should look great for Vancouver down the line. For now, though, I would hate to be Demko on a team whose best defensemen are Hughes, Ekman-Larsson, and Myers.

lol. Yah I'm so happy we drafted Olli Juolevi instead of Matt Tkachuck. I'd hate to have pay Tkachuk. What a smart move by Benning taking McCann instead of Pastrnak as well.
CSStrowbridge and doogiski liked this.
Oct. 2, 2021 at 10:43 p.m.
Quoting: Roysboy72
You know, I’m almost a little happy Detroit passed on Hughes and got Zadina instead. A full-on offensive defenseman with limited to no defense that gets paid like Hedman feels like a great player to watch, but a headache overall. I hope he fixes his defense (it’s in the position, defenseman), and if he does this deal should look great for Vancouver down the line. For now, though, I would hate to be Demko on a team whose best defensemen are Hughes, Ekman-Larsson, and Myers.

That's an interesting take. You'd rather have the guy who's been drafted to be a sniper, yet scored *checks notes* 3 more goals last season than the defender you'd rather not have.
PrisonBull liked this.
Oct. 3, 2021 at 10:40 a.m.
sen krak fan
Overpayment.
Oct. 3, 2021 at 9:37 p.m.
Considering the big dollars that defensemen have been getting this off season, this contract seems pretty reasonable. There’s a lot of talk about him being weak defensively, but even without defensive skills an offensive defenseman who can consistently put up around .75 points per game is a hot commodity. At age 21 there’s no reason to think he can’t continue that for another six years, and there’s a chance that he’ll improve in other areas. Offensive defensemen are most effective when paired with a guy who’s strong defensively. The Canucks may not have a guy like that, but you can’t expect Hughes to take less money because of that. Get him signed and build around him.

I also like that this contract apparently doesn’t have any no-trade/no-move clauses or signing bonuses, but I find it interesting that the Canucks seem to like to give back-end loaded contracts. In a league where most teams care more about cap hit than salary, I guess it’s a way to stick the other team with a greater share of the actual cash outlay if they trade him before the end of the contract.
Oct. 4, 2021 at 9:29 a.m.
#1D money for a guy who isn't a #1D and probably never will be.

I'm happy.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit