Forums/Armchair-GM

NJD camp notes and lineup - Mercer has earned it

Created by: NHLfan10506
Team: 2021-22 New Jersey Devils
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 2, 2021
Published: Oct. 2, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
My thoughts on Devils after two meaningless pre-season games, so all may go out the window after two more meaningless pre-season games.

Notable players on roster

1. DAWSON MERCER: Mercer is a very good hockey player...its like we cloned Nico Hischier. Probably not yet as good along the boards, but a little better in open ice. And could probably use some improvement on the draw. They both put in similar defensive effort, both explosive when changing directions, both can be crafty with puck in tight spaces. Both high-energy and fearless in offensive zone. If roster is set today, I think he has to make this team.

2. ALEXANDER HOLTZ: The shot is as advertised. The play-making is also an asset. Looks more comfortable on left side. There were some mild goofs in neutral zone that could be cleaned up but has overall shown he can play at this level. I don't think its a guarantee he makes the roster out of camp, but if not, he shouldn't be too far off. I have him on Hughes line here since that is how they have lined up in pre-season, but could also swap him with Tatar.

3. YEGOR SHARANGOVICH: Sharangovich appears ready to have taken another level in his skating and is on-ice awareness. Last year, he showed huge strides. I think the best is yet to come and could see a major break-out. He is also playing more confident than we saw at beginning of last year. It doesn't look like they will move him back to center anytime soon. I am convinced he will be stapled to Jack Hughes to begin season on top-line.

4. NICO HISCHIER: Looks like usual self so far. Good to see him healthy. He will appear as 3C here, but in reality lines 2 and 3 will likely get similar playing time (2a and 2b).

5. TOMAS TATAR: So far so good. Looks to be patient and smart with the puck and could have easily had 2 more goals last night as he got a couple passes that missed his stick near net. What surprised me was his defense and forechecking/puck-gathering along the boards. I had always viewed him as more of an open-ice floater type and he looks to be one who will go to corners, dirty areas near net.

6. JIMMY VESEY: So far, appears to be in-line to make this team as 4th liner. Has filled up the stat sheet with takeaways, hits, shot attempts. Has played high energy, grinding role. Its not pretty at times, but still makes impact.

Won’t make team

7. GRAEME CLARKE: At this point, he is probably my final cut for this roster. It is between Clarke and Vesey for the last spot on 4th line. And Clarke could still win it, but Vesey fits more style-wise for 4th line. Quick release, shot-volume type. Nothing special on defensive side of puck. Probably starts year in top-6 in AHL (at C or RW), but sees NHL action soon.

8. TYCE THOMPSON: I am more bullish now for Tyce and his future. I think he needs to add a little size and get a little more control on his movement, but looks like he will be NHL middle-sixer. He was more aggressive than I expected, agitating a bit, blocking shots, playing physical. My guess is that he returns to AHL in top-6 center role to start.

9. MICHAEL VUKOJEVIC: He is sill a good year or two away. But you can see the tools are there. The positioning is a liability at this point. There were a few occasions where he gave away his line too easily and another where he was out of position for a back-end pass. Looks like he could be useful bottom-pair type in a couple of years.

10. JESPER BOQVIST: Played his usual fast game last night, but didn’t seem to get any results. Sometimes I got the feeling he is back to 2019 Boqvist, just skating around aimlessly. He has one more trip to AHL without going through waivers, and I think Devils use it. So much ability, just needs a role that suits him.

11. REILLY WALSH: Didn’t really see enough of him other than what we would expect. Unlikely to be more of 8th/9th d-man on depth chart right now. Did not look very confident. Clearly needs some time in AHL working on defensive side.

12. FABIAN ZETTERLUND: Showed some forechecking and attacking style play. Probably ends up fairly high on list of depth players and looks like will be be a potential call-up this season. He isn’t far from bottom-6 NHL level.

13. NOLAN FOOTE: Its the skating. He has played 13 minutes in one pre-season game, so maybe small sample sizes and all, but he did not look good - and actually worse than his limited NHL action last year. There is little chance he gets into the roster without a big improvement in skating. The rest of his game looks ready.

14. MARIAN STUDENIC: Did not appear to make much of an impact on either side of ice. Could make him as healthy scratch just based on his status as waivers eligible player. But my guess is they hope he passes through and send him down.

15. CHRISTAN JAROS: Did not look great. Had some good moments near his net, but is a traffic cone in open ice. He could make team as 7th d-man since he has to pass through waivers to go to AHL, but I do not think he has a chance if Bahl has another good showing.

16. NIKITA OKHOTIUK: I guess its “Okhotiuk” now and not “Okhotyuk”. Looks to be smart defensive player without a ton of puck skills. But need to see more. I think I’d like to see him paired with Walsh as AHL top-pair and see if he can develop into a stay-at-home LD.

AHL lineup

Foote - Boqvist - Clarke
Greer - Thompson - Zetterlund
Gambardella - Schnarr -Studenic
De Leo - Talvitie - Flynn

Okhotiuk - Walsh
Vukojevic - Jaros
White - Russo

Wedgement
Daws

Stillman returned to juniors
Schmid, Groleau to ECHL
Free Agent Signings
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$750,000
1$750,000
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Recapture Fees
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$70,146,402$0$3,757,500$11,353,598
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
RFA - 4
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
C
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
$2,250,000$2,250,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RW, C
RFA - 3
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$7,250,000$7,250,000
C
UFA - 6
$1,825,000$1,825,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$975,000$975,000
C
RFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$9,000,000$9,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 7
$2,800,000$2,800,000
G
UFA - 2
$795,000$795,000 (Performance Bonus$107,500$108K)
LD
RFA - 2
$4,166,666$4,166,666
RD
UFA - 2
$4,125,000$4,125,000
G
UFA - 2
$3,166,667$3,166,667
LD
UFA - 2
$9,000,000$9,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,125,000$1,125,000
LD
UFA - 2
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
C, LW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Oct. 2, 2021 at 9:02 a.m.
Speak of the Devil
Mercer reminds me of Coleman a little
Both Holtz and Mercer have looked good so far
Not a fan of putting Nico on the third line and splitting him up from Bratt and Zacha.
I agree that Boqvist and Foote have been disappointing

My lines would be
Holtz-Hughes-Sharangovich
Tatar-Nico-Bratt
Zacha-Mercer-Janne
Wood-McLeod-Vesey
Johnsson, Jankowski

Graves-Dougie
Ty-Severson
Bahl-Subban
Siegenthaler

Blackwood
Bernier
NJDevils1317 and Erkadurk347 liked this.
Oct. 2, 2021 at 9:08 a.m.
Quoting: Devil1122
Not a fan of putting Nico on the third line and splitting him up from Bratt and Zacha.

My lines would be
Tatar-Nico-Bratt
Zacha-Mercer-Janne
Wood-McLeod-Vesey
Johnsson, Jankowski

Graves-Dougie
Ty-Severson
Bahl-Subban
Siegenthaler

Blackwood
Bernier

Wholeheartedly agree on these lines, although I feel AJ is given a chance before Vesey fully steals it. I'm not team AJ, if he sits I am fine, but I feel he gets the chance.
Devil liked this.
Oct. 2, 2021 at 9:18 a.m.

My lines would be
Tatar-Nico-Bratt
Zacha-Mercer-Janne
Wood-McLeod-Vesey
Johnsson, Jankowski

Graves-Dougie
Ty-Severson
Bahl-Subban
Siegenthaler

Blackwood
Bernier

I think this works too and is consistent with everything from above. (It’s basically just swapping Bratt and Jane).
Those middle two lines can be interchangeable.
And equal TOI.
If Holtz doesn’t work out as 1LW, swap him with Tatar.

Also I should have mentioned above. There is a chance Jaros doesn’t clear waivers. So Bahl really has to take his job as 6/7 dman in next few days. Because sending Jaros down may mean losing him for good.
Devil liked this.
Oct. 2, 2021 at 9:47 a.m.
Speak of the Devil
Quoting: NJDevils1317
Wholeheartedly agree on these lines, although I feel AJ is given a chance before Vesey fully steals it. I'm not team AJ, if he sits I am fine, but I feel he gets the chance.

Agreed
I would prefer Vesey though. Vesey deserves a shot
Oct. 2, 2021 at 9:48 a.m.
Speak of the Devil
Quoting: NHLfan10506
I think this works too and is consistent with everything from above. (It’s basically just swapping Bratt and Jane).
Those middle two lines can be interchangeable.
And equal TOI.
If Holtz doesn’t work out as 1LW, swap him with Tatar.

Also I should have mentioned above. There is a chance Jaros doesn’t clear waivers. So Bahl really has to take his job as 6/7 dman in next few days. Because sending Jaros down may mean losing him for good.

I wouldn't mind seeing Holtz second line with Nico and Bratt either. And move Tatar up (if Holtz isn't ready)
Merkley is also on waivers which is pretty funny.
Oct. 3, 2021 at 2:56 a.m.
Opie
I wouldn't mind seeing Holtz second line with Nico and Bratt either. And move Tatar up (if Holtz isn't ready)
Merkley is also on waivers which is pretty funny.

Holtz for Tatar on the Hughes line is the way to go (if they keep him up for opening night). Very interested to see what Management decides to do with Holtz & Mercer (among others) out of the gate.
NHLfan10506 and Devil liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll