Forums/Armchair-GM

Give him some time

Created by: Opie
Team: 2021-22 New Jersey Devils
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 4, 2021
Published: Oct. 4, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Confidence in young snipers is a funny thing, if it goes the wrong way, you could slow development. Hoping Holtz is given some time in AHL this season, as I believe rushing him would be a mistake. Sure, He has looked good in preseason, but he's been playing against (largely) fringe NHL / AHL talent & supported by NJs top line players. It will feel very different against top 4 defenders & lock down NHL quality checking lines. Why the rush, let the kid pot some goals in the AHL before feeding him to the wolves.

Mercer could be a different story, as he contributes in so many other ways. Even if he's not scoring, he can have an impact playing a sound two way game & will face better match ups on the 3rd line. If he sticks, I would understand the call & wish him the best. Given the weak / uninspiring showings of Foote, Boqvist, Clarke & some of the other young options this preseason, door has been left open for Mercer.

Really fascinating the choices Fitzgerald et al must make this preseason... balancing the pull on taking the next step to playoff contention vs making the smart calls on the long term development of the prospects. Hoping he finds goldilocks.

And for the love of God, please keep Zacha on the wing ... and find a sound 7D option
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Recapture Fees
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$70,210,569$0$3,732,500$11,289,431
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
C
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
$2,250,000$2,250,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$7,250,000$7,250,000
C
UFA - 6
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,825,000$1,825,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RW, C
RFA - 3
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LW
UFA - 1
$975,000$975,000
C
RFA - 2
$809,167$809,167 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
RW
RFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
C, LW
RFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,166,667$3,166,667
LD
UFA - 2
$9,000,000$9,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 7
$4,125,000$4,125,000
G
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$4,166,666$4,166,666
RD
UFA - 2
$2,800,000$2,800,000
G
UFA - 2
$1,125,000$1,125,000
LD
UFA - 2
$9,000,000$9,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
RD
UFA - 1
Taxi Squad
$725,000$725,000 ($0$0$0$0)
LW, LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Oct. 4, 2021 at 9:43 a.m.
I think Bahl should be our 7D no question....if Smith doesnt start next Friday due to injury then bump Siegs/Bahl up and let Okhotyuk marinate a bit in the show

Edit: either that or lets at least give Walsh a look...I know he hasn't looked the best but he's been with us for awhile.
Oct. 4, 2021 at 9:56 a.m.
Opie
Quoting: kogger
I think Bahl should be our 7D no question....if Smith doesnt start next Friday due to injury then bump Siegs/Bahl up and let Okhotyuk marinate a bit in the show

Edit: either that or lets at least give Walsh a look...I know he hasn't looked the best but he's been with us for awhile.

Agree, assume Bahl is the call if Smith is injured, but Im not sure about the 7D spot. Wouldn't they prefer Bahl gets regular ice time in AHL? I'm hoping they find a better veteran option for that spot ... maybe a waiver claim. It's an emergency start kinda thing in my eyes. The top six seem set & any long term injuries can be covered through a call up (Bahl or White seem most likely).
Walsh, Okhotyuk & the rest seem destined for a full season in Utica
Oct. 4, 2021 at 10:05 a.m.
Quoting: Opie
Agree, assume Bahl is the call if Smith is injured, but Im not sure about the 7D spot. Wouldn't they prefer Bahl gets regular ice time in AHL? I'm hoping they find a better veteran option for that spot ... maybe a waiver claim. It's an emergency start kinda thing in my eyes. The top six seem set & any long term injuries can be covered through a call up (Bahl or White seem most likely).
Walsh, Okhotyuk & the rest seem destined for a full season in Utica

Walsh perhaps, but Okhotyuk looks like a physical d-man that we need for some presence. Definitely should give him some time up in the show...I think Holtz/Mercer will make it but they might plateau at some point resulting in them to be sent to Utica for development. I see Demers is UFA but idk what he would exactly provide for us
Oct. 4, 2021 at 10:25 a.m.
Opie
Walsh perhaps, but Okhotyuk looks like a physical d-man that we need for some presence. Definitely should give him some time up in the show...I think Holtz/Mercer will make it but they might plateau at some point resulting in them to be sent to Utica for development. I see Demers is UFA but idk what he would exactly provide for us

I've always liked Okhotyuk (& Vukojevic), hope to see him continue to develop and make an impact in NJ some day. I'm not sure about Walsh yet, I fear he may never pan out, but hope I'm wrong, NJ really could use more depth at RD in system.

With Holtz & Mercer, if you fear they may plateau or burn out, would likely be more be beneficial to start them in AHL & then call them up later, than the other way around. Either way, it will be interesting to track their season & how NJ handles them.

I'm also intrigued by Misyul. Never see much about the guy in NJ, but he's a big dude with some edge & continues to wrack up KHL minutes. I believe his contract is up end 22-23. By then he will be 22 years old with several KHL seasons under his belt. Not outrageous to think he could step right into a bottom pair role in NJ for 23-24 season next to a more offensive minded guy.
Oct. 4, 2021 at 10:54 a.m.
I've always liked Okhotyuk (& Vukojevic), hope to see him continue to develop and make an impact in NJ some day. I'm not sure about Walsh yet, I fear he may never pan out, but hope I'm wrong, NJ really could use more depth at RD in system.

With Holtz & Mercer, if you fear they may plateau or burn out, would likely be more be beneficial to start them in AHL & then call them up later, than the other way around. Either way, it will be interesting to track their season & how NJ handles them.

I'm also intrigued by Misyul. Never see much about the guy in NJ, but he's a big dude with some edge & continues to wrack up KHL minutes. I believe his contract is up end 22-23. By then he will be 22 years old with several KHL seasons under his belt. Not outrageous to think he could step right into a bottom pair role in NJ for 23-24 season next to a more offensive minded guy.

Good points about them plateauing.. it would def keep them hungry and accelerate their development but who would your lines be?

Keeping up with the amount of LHD this organization has drafted is like a scavenger hunt lol
Oct. 4, 2021 at 11:35 a.m.

Good points about them plateauing.. it would def keep them hungry and accelerate their development but who would your lines be?

Keeping up with the amount of LHD this organization has drafted is like a scavenger hunt lol

I think Walsh upside is still as bottom-pair NHL pmd. A righty Will Butcher, in a way. Better than Butcher will his legs moving, less creative standing still.
I have often felt Okhotiuk is a future 7th d-man, when physicality needs to be dialed up mid-season.
Vukojevic has a ways to go.
Misyul is appears to me like a wildcard.
I don't think any of these guys are on current track to take time away from Hamilton, Smith, Severson (if he stays), Bahl, Mukhamadullin or Luke.
Ethan Edwards may be easiest guy for me to project into top-6.

If I had to predict our blueline over next few years....(assumes Severson is resigned in 2023)

Start of 2021-22
Graves -- Hamilton
Smith -- Severson
Siegenthaler -- Subban
7th: Bahl/Jaros

Start of 2022-23
Graves -- Hamilton
Bahl -- Severson
Mukhamadullin -- Smith
7th: Siegenthaler/Okhotiuk/Walsh/McCarthy

Start of 2023-24
Smith -- Hamilton
Bahl -- Severson
Edwards -- Hughes
7th: Okhotiuk/Vukojevic/Walsh/McCarthy/Misyul

Start of 2024-25
Hughes -- Hamilton
Bahl -- Smith
Edwards -- Severson
7th: Vilen/Vukojevic/Walsh/Misyul
Oct. 4, 2021 at 5:46 p.m.
Opie
Quoting: NHLfan10506
I think Walsh upside is still as bottom-pair NHL pmd. A righty Will Butcher, in a way. Better than Butcher will his legs moving, less creative standing still.
I have often felt Okhotiuk is a future 7th d-man, when physicality needs to be dialed up mid-season.
Vukojevic has a ways to go.
Misyul is appears to me like a wildcard.
I don't think any of these guys are on current track to take time away from Hamilton, Smith, Severson (if he stays), Bahl, Mukhamadullin or Luke.
Ethan Edwards may be easiest guy for me to project into top-6.

If I had to predict our blueline over next few years....(assumes Severson is resigned in 2023)

Start of 2021-22
Graves -- Hamilton
Smith -- Severson
Siegenthaler -- Subban
7th: Bahl/Jaros

Start of 2022-23
Graves -- Hamilton
Bahl -- Severson
Mukhamadullin -- Smith
7th: Siegenthaler/Okhotiuk/Walsh/McCarthy

Start of 2023-24
Smith -- Hamilton
Bahl -- Severson
Edwards -- Hughes
7th: Okhotiuk/Vukojevic/Walsh/McCarthy/Misyul

Start of 2024-25
Hughes -- Hamilton
Bahl -- Smith
Edwards -- Severson
7th: Vilen/Vukojevic/Walsh/Misyul

The only guys I feel solid on are the obvious ... Hamilton, Smith, Sever, Hughes. The rest, regardless of how much I like them, I see as far from certain ... but I like the law of numbers principle, they are all legit prospects & you have to figure at least two of them can have an impact in Newark.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll