Forums/Armchair-GM

Ranking Cities Most Likely to get an NHL Team

Created by: NoVaSpartan
Team: 2021-22 Custom Team
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 6, 2021
Published: Oct. 6, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
While I think the NHL is done with expansion for at least the next 10 years, when they are ready I think these will be the cities they will consider, whether in any serious capacity or not.

Let me know if I missed any big ones.
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$999,999,999$17,600,000$0$0$982,399,999
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Top Of, The List
$800,000$800,000
Definitely Still In, The Running
$800,000$800,000
Probably, Not
$800,000$800,000
Houston, Texas
$800,000$800,000
Atlanta, Georgia
$800,000$800,000
Hamilton, Ontario
$800,000$800,000
Quebec City, Quebec
$800,000$800,000
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
$800,000$800,000
Cleveland, Ohio
$800,000$800,000
Kansas City, Missouri
$800,000$800,000
Indianapolis, Indiana
$800,000$800,000
Toronto, Again
$800,000$800,000
Halifax, Nova Scotia
$800,000$800,000
Portland, Oregon
$800,000$800,000
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Need a, Miracle
$800,000$800,000
Bettman, Goes Insane
$800,000$800,000
Impossible, But fun
$800,000$800,000
Baltimore, Maryland
$800,000$800,000
New Orleans, Louisiana
$800,000$800,000
Anchorage, Alaska
$800,000$800,000
Salt Lake City, Utah
$800,000$800,000
Birmingham, Alabama
$800,000$800,000

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Oct. 6, 2021 at 9:29 a.m.
TOR V5 GM
Quebec and Halifax pls
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Oct. 6, 2021 at 9:30 a.m.
While I would love a team in Halifax I don't know how realistic that it. Milwaukee I think makes a lot of sense too
CD282 and EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Oct. 6, 2021 at 9:30 a.m.
cautious optimism
Another one that needs a miracle: Louisville, Kentucky.

i just want hockey in my hometown okay
Oct. 6, 2021 at 9:33 a.m.
saskatoon and halifax are in no way even remotly in contention to get an expansion team
Oct. 6, 2021 at 9:38 a.m.
Your RW tier would be better able to support franchises than your center tier... the Leafs would veto Toronto and Hamilton franchises though.
Oilyboy liked this.
Oct. 6, 2021 at 9:42 a.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Quoting: TheAlien
While I would love a team in Halifax I don't know how realistic that it. Milwaukee I think makes a lot of sense too

Forgot about Milwaukee. I'd have it in probably not due it's proximity to Minneapolis and it's size but I agree it would be considered.

Quoting: JaredOfLondon
saskatoon and halifax are in no way even remotly in contention to get an expansion team

Saskatoon is in the wrong category, it should be in the Probably not category. Halifax I think is more ready than more people think but given I don't see the NHL expansion for a while, I'm predicting that by that time Halifax is fully ready for a team.

Quoting: Bobcat205
Another one that needs a miracle: Louisville, Kentucky.

i just want hockey in my hometown okay

probably not large enough of an american market for the NHL unfortunately.
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Oct. 6, 2021 at 9:43 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
Quoting: CD282
Your RW tier would be better able to support franchises than your center tier... the Leafs would veto Toronto and Hamilton franchises though.

San Diego, maybe Oklahoma City, Cleveland
Oct. 6, 2021 at 9:44 a.m.
Milwaukee is a better choice than all of these. Wisconsin is a hockey hotbed. Can’t say the same for Houston and KC.

Houston has the market size but fan interest is iffy, KC has an arena but again…fan interest iffy. Quebec has sentiment and fan base but small market and lack of area corporations.

Black Hawks will block at all costs. Same with Habs and Quebec.
Oct. 6, 2021 at 9:48 a.m.
Honestly I don't want to see any more expansion franchises for a few years. I'd like to see all the current ones healthy and profitable first, which probably requires Arizona moving to Houston. Maybe Florida needs to relocate too, although I'd like to see if they can draw fans with a decent team first. Not sure there will be NHL hockey in Columbus in 15 years either...
palhal liked this.
Oct. 6, 2021 at 9:55 a.m.
Banned
Milwaukee makes sooo much sense. Natural rivals and a state of the art facility.

Seems like the NHL has flatly said that Quebec City will not happen.
Oct. 6, 2021 at 10:07 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
There are lots of NHL teams right now who are life lines from the richer NHL owners. IMO there is are no cities in Canada or the USA that would/could a NHL team financially. The only city that might is Houston, but relocation is going to be best option for them.
Oct. 6, 2021 at 10:12 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: CMcAvoy73
Milwaukee makes sooo much sense. Natural rivals and a state of the art facility.

IMO, despite the love of hockey in Quebec, it doesn't have the population/businesses to fill the arena at NHL prices, all season, long term. Think that is more of the issue for Quebec as opposed to the other NHL owners not wanting to go Canada . After all, Calgary got US based Atlanta, Winnipeg got it's team back when they got good ownership, Ottawa was an expansion in 2001 I believe.
Oct. 6, 2021 at 10:20 a.m.
IamAlwaysRight
Quoting: TheAlien

I lived in Milwaukee for 3 years and it is already a hockey city it's the near perfect city for an NHL team.
Oct. 6, 2021 at 10:21 a.m.
Quebec City should be in ''need a miracle''
Oct. 6, 2021 at 10:22 a.m.
Daws is underrated
Austin Texas maybe
Oct. 6, 2021 at 10:27 a.m.
milwaukee is such an obvious choice. houston would be the other one because of how big it is, but there’s a big hockey base in wisconsin already, feels like a no-brainer for a team
Oct. 6, 2021 at 10:30 a.m.
Jinx god
Edited Oct. 6, 2021 at 10:37 a.m.
Milwaukee has the better fan base, but Houston has almost 4 times it's population, and they can start a rivalry with Dallas, plus Arizona is a western conference team so if they get relocated it won't change much.

I feel like you can grow a fanbase in Houston.
Oct. 6, 2021 at 10:35 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Edited Oct. 6, 2021 at 10:44 a.m.
Quoting: Gofnut999
Milwaukee is a better choice than all of these. Wisconsin is a hockey hotbed. Can’t say the same for Houston and KC.

Houston has the market size but fan interest is iffy, KC has an arena but again…fan interest iffy. Quebec has sentiment and fan base but small market and lack of area corporations.

Black Hawks will block at all costs. Same with Habs and Quebec.[/quote

I really don't think the Habs would block Quebec. IMO Quebec just doesn't have the financially backing to support a team long term.

Here's a story from when the NHL and WHA merged. First, the NHL did not want a merge with going broke WHA. They wanted those WHA just to go away, and then the NHL owners would have expansion team going into some of the WHA cities so they could collect expansion fees.

Senator David Molson of the Canadians (and owner of the brewery) was the chairman of the expansion committee.

The NHL agreed to take Hartford in the merger, more due to anti trust USA laws, so they needed an American city.
Molson told the NHL owners, I'll be the most hated man in Quebec, unless the Nordiques are allowed in, so Quebec got their team.

Ben Haskin owner of the WHA Winnipeg Jets told Molson, "You will never sell another Molson product west of Ontario if Winnipeg and Edmonton don't get NHL franchises."

So Hartford, Quebec, Winnipeg, and Edmonton paid the 2m "entrance fee" to join the NHL, instead of the 8m the owners expected in expansion fees.
Oct. 6, 2021 at 10:48 a.m.
Edited Oct. 6, 2021 at 11:06 a.m.
Quoting: palhal

I’m well aware of that.

While they may be hated for awhile, it won’t have a negative impact on their bottom line. Adding a team in the region i assume can.
Oct. 6, 2021 at 11:19 a.m.

Seems like the NHL is 100% sure teams can't block expansion even in their area (50 miles from city limits), so Montreal cannot block Quebec or Chicago / Milwaukee or Toronto / Hamilton. Toronto at least has a case because Hamilton is less than 50 miles from Toronto (Buffalo has a case there too) so there would be some litigation, but the league and Canada's Competition Bureau say otherwise.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2014/09/22/maple_leafs_couldnt_veto_nhl_expansion_to_gta_bettman_says.html
https://www.si.com/hockey/news/can-the-maple-leafs-prevent-a-team-from-moving-to-southern-ontario
Gofnut999 liked this.
Oct. 6, 2021 at 11:28 a.m.
Seems like the NHL is 100% sure teams can't block expansion even in their area (50 miles from city limits), so Montreal cannot block Quebec or Chicago / Milwaukee or Toronto / Hamilton. Toronto at least has a case because Hamilton is less than 50 miles from Toronto (Buffalo has a case there too) so there would be some litigation, but the league and Canada's Competition Bureau say otherwise.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2014/09/22/maple_leafs_couldnt_veto_nhl_expansion_to_gta_bettman_says.html
https://www.si.com/hockey/news/can-the-maple-leafs-prevent-a-team-from-moving-to-southern-ontario

That, i was not aware of. Thanks for the info. 👍🏻
CD282 liked this.
Oct. 6, 2021 at 12:00 p.m.
Timelord
There are 24 states without a professional team. Of them, the one that plays in an area where hockey is popular, has an almost OK sized market:

Fargo, ND
Fargo-Moorhead/Wahpeton area will have a population of over 300K
They would draw from the Greater Grand Forks area with well over 100K
This doesn't count for all of the smaller towns nearby and even the further away Bismarck/Minot areas with over 200K

Montana and South Dakota do not have pro teams either, the closest professional (US) team from Fargo is 3.5 hours but is hours further for much of the surrounding area. there are 8 connected states without a pro team (though some of them are closer to other teams).

Midcontinent Communications alone serves about 500K people from ND, SD, Western MN, and even Kansas. I think Fargo is on the very bottom edge of market sizes that the NHL has but this would drastically increase their geographical footprint.

Amazon and Microsoft in town along with other professional corps such as Noridian insurance and health providers and Scheels sports
South Dakota with Sanford Health plus all of its dark money as an international tax shelter . . . they can do it financially.
Grand Forks sells out 12K for college hockey so there is no doubt for me that they could pull in around 20 in Fargo for the only pro team in the area.

This is very poorly put together argument because I'm working and trying to leave 2 minutes ago.
Oct. 6, 2021 at 12:22 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
I wanna see a team in Milwaukee
Oct. 6, 2021 at 1:28 p.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Quoting: Devil1122

Quoting: joeyloeffler
There are 24 states without a professional team. Of them, the one that plays in an area where hockey is popular, has an almost OK sized market:

Fargo, ND
Fargo-Moorhead/Wahpeton area will have a population of over 300K
They would draw from the Greater Grand Forks area with well over 100K
This doesn't count for all of the smaller towns nearby and even the further away Bismarck/Minot areas with over 200K

Montana and South Dakota do not have pro teams either, the closest professional (US) team from Fargo is 3.5 hours but is hours further for much of the surrounding area. there are 8 connected states without a pro team (though some of them are closer to other teams).

Midcontinent Communications alone serves about 500K people from ND, SD, Western MN, and even Kansas. I think Fargo is on the very bottom edge of market sizes that the NHL has but this would drastically increase their geographical footprint.

Amazon and Microsoft in town along with other professional corps such as Noridian insurance and health providers and Scheels sports
South Dakota with Sanford Health plus all of its dark money as an international tax shelter . . . they can do it financially.
Grand Forks sells out 12K for college hockey so there is no doubt for me that they could pull in around 20 in Fargo for the only pro team in the area.

This is very poorly put together argument because I'm working and trying to leave 2 minutes ago.

That, i was not aware of. Thanks for the info. 👍🏻

I’m well aware of that.

While they may be hated for awhile, it won’t have a negative impact on their bottom line. Adding a team in the region i assume can.

Quoting: EsoYeezus69
Milwaukee has the better fan base, but Houston has almost 4 times it's population, and they can start a rivalry with Dallas, plus Arizona is a western conference team so if they get relocated it won't change much.

I feel like you can grow a fanbase in Houston.

Quoting: bagelbob
milwaukee is such an obvious choice. houston would be the other one because of how big it is, but there’s a big hockey base in wisconsin already, feels like a no-brainer for a team

Quoting: islandersfan14
Austin Texas maybe

Quoting: Taz
Quebec City should be in ''need a miracle''

Quoting: gary_bettman
I lived in Milwaukee for 3 years and it is already a hockey city it's the near perfect city for an NHL team.

IMO, despite the love of hockey in Quebec, it doesn't have the population/businesses to fill the arena at NHL prices, all season, long term. Think that is more of the issue for Quebec as opposed to the other NHL owners not wanting to go Canada . After all, Calgary got US based Atlanta, Winnipeg got it's team back when they got good ownership, Ottawa was an expansion in 2001 I believe.

There are lots of NHL teams right now who are life lines from the richer NHL owners. IMO there is are no cities in Canada or the USA that would/could a NHL team financially. The only city that might is Houston, but relocation is going to be best option for them.

Quoting: CMcAvoy73

Honestly I don't want to see any more expansion franchises for a few years. I'd like to see all the current ones healthy and profitable first, which probably requires Arizona moving to Houston. Maybe Florida needs to relocate too, although I'd like to see if they can draw fans with a decent team first. Not sure there will be NHL hockey in Columbus in 15 years either...

Quoting: capsfan2121
San Diego, maybe Oklahoma City, Cleveland

Quoting: Devil1122

Sorry I can't respond to all of you individually, so ill be quoting all of you, but thanks for all the feedback.

Seeing all the valid points about Milwaukee I would still put it in probably, only because the NHL is trying to move into less established markets, but it makes a ton of sense.

As for Quebec, the NHL has some valid concerns about putting a team there, but 10-15 years from now, when I expect the NHL to possibly expand again, I think they just won't be able to ignore Quebec. Though who knows, they've ignored them pretty will for the last 20 years. I think its more likely a team relocates there but again there are some valid concerns.

Again, thanks for all the feedback!
EsoYeezus69, CD282, gary_bettman and 2 others liked this.
Oct. 6, 2021 at 2:57 p.m.
Late to the party, but...

Can't see Chicago signing off on Milwaukee any more than Toronto would sign off on London, even though I think Milwaukee would be a great choice. If QC were getting a team, they'd have one already (same with KC), don't think the NHL is interested in taking on the language barrier in QC. Both have already applied, and the NHL has passed them by.

Houston has to be the front runner. Massive TV market. The NHL has worked in Dallas, should pave the way for Houston or Austin.

I would put Cleveland or Hartford next on the list. Probably Cleveland, since I think the Hurricanes move back to Hartford before the decade is out.

Rounding out the top 4 would be Portland, Oregon.

Wild card would be Baltimore. Dark horse, New Orleans. And never rule out Atlanta. If the right ownership came along, the NHL would go back. Again.

Finally, you should have Helsinki, and maybe Stockholm, on that list. If the NHL ever expands off continent, Helsinki would top the list, I would think. Think of the feather that would put in Bettman's cap as he sails into retirement, being the first NA major league Commissioner to expand off continent.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll