SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Toronto Maple Leafs 2021 Depth Chart

Oct. 12, 2021 at 9:22 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Keys for this season

Matthews’ health is a huge factor for Toronto this season. They need him healthy and firing the puck from everywhere to compete in the very tough Atlantic division this season. Missing the first week or two is one thing, but having a nagging injury throughout the season is certainly different. Hopefully his wrist will be better than last year. The Leafs only go as far as Matthews carries them. He needs a great playoff performance.

Goaltending: Both goalies need to stay healthy, which hasn’t always been the case for both of them, and they need to produce. Campbell and Mrazek had really good numbers last year and will need to continue that great play for the Leafs to have success.

Secondary Scoring: They will need to have more than just their big 4 putting up points. Last season both Matthews and Marner were top-5 in the NHL in scoring, and it’s very likely both Tavares and Nylander finish the season in the top 20. After them, though, who knows. Ritchie, Kase, Bunting, and Spezza need to produce some offence to take some pressure off the big 4.

Special Team: The addition of new assistant coach Spencer Carbery to run the power play could be a huge boost for the Maple Leafs to shake up their old system, which became too predictable and teams caught on with their entries and setup. With Marner assuming the bumper role and Matthews on his off wing for a one-timer, the Maple Leafs now have a second shooting option in Nylander. With Nylander on his off wing to make the top unit less predictable.

New assistant coach Dean Chenoweth prefers an aggressive penalty kill, which should suit the Leafs’ speedy penalty killers in Engvall, Kampf, Marner, Nylander(has been given looks), Kase, and Kerfoot. Between an aggressive penalty kill that forces the opponent to make hurried choices, great underlying shot suppression numbers, and a goaltending duo that has demonstrated an ability to stop pucks at high rates while shorthanded, hopefully the Leafs see much-improved penalty kill results this season.

Potential Call Ups:
Semyonov
Robertson
Anderson
Ho-Sang (if they sign NHL deal)
SDA
Biega
Menell
Rubins
Hutchinson

TDL targets
Olofsson
Fabbri
Forsberg
Rakell
Wood
Domi
Hertl
Lyubushkin
Miller
Stecher
Ekholm
GO LEAFS GO
Oct. 12, 2021 at 9:52 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Gotta say there isn't that much on the Marlies that appear NHL good...at least this year. I hope the Leafs avoid these crazy TDL trades which haven't helped at all during the past.
Oct. 13, 2021 at 11:26 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: palhal
Gotta say there isn't that much on the Marlies that appear NHL good...at least this year. I hope the Leafs avoid these crazy TDL trades which haven't helped at all during the past.

Honestly Dubas 1 focus should be

Just trade for a LD that can properly fill in for Muzzin should he once again get hurt again in the playoffs. Cause when Muzzin is out that blue line looks real thin.

Anaheim could be a good fit for that

Dubas can target Lindholm as the Muzzin insurance and Kesler as the means to make the cap space work.

Leafs role out

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
Lindholm-Dermott

I know I know what about Sandin. Well in the playoffs its a tougher game and his last performance was not the greatest. This move ensures Leafs have greater Defensive depth going in.

They also got someone else to discuss extension with should Rielly decide he wants to go elsewhere.
palhal, oneX and Saskleaf liked this.
Oct. 14, 2021 at 8:33 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
Honestly Dubas 1 focus should be

Just trade for a LD that can properly fill in for Muzzin should he once again get hurt again in the playoffs. Cause when Muzzin is out that blue line looks real thin.

Anaheim could be a good fit for that

Dubas can target Lindholm as the Muzzin insurance and Kesler as the means to make the cap space work.

Leafs role out

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
Lindholm-Dermott

I know I know what about Sandin. Well in the playoffs its a tougher game and his last performance was not the greatest. This move ensures Leafs have greater Defensive depth going in.

They also got someone else to discuss extension with should Rielly decide he wants to go elsewhere.

This is the kind of move I hope Dubas has in mind. There's alot of people in Leaf land that think Sandin can handle the type of play that shows up in the playoffs but last playoffs basically showed that he is not ready for that.

Same goes for Lilijegren.
Saskleaf liked this.
Oct. 14, 2021 at 10:09 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: oneX
This is the kind of move I hope Dubas has in mind. There's alot of people in Leaf land that think Sandin can handle the type of play that shows up in the playoffs but last playoffs basically showed that he is not ready for that.

Same goes for Lilijegren.

Yep like honestly whether its Leddy or Lindholm or just someone who can borderline play top 4. We need Muzzin insurance for the playoffs.
oneX liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll