SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021/22 NHL Season Discussion thread #2

Oct. 20, 2021 at 2:37 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
The Sharks have 3 of the most important games of the first half of the season coming up now imo.

Starting 2-0 is great for a team that had low public expectations. But now SJ has a real chance to go on a good run.

Ottawa is a great test especially because it’s Tkachuks first game back and if Ottawa does surprise everyone and names him captain before the game, it will be wild regardless. (Also I’m going to the game so let’s****ingo). Then we have the Leafs; an even harder test because the Leafs will be the highest octane offensive to test our goalies and D. If we can get 3-0 and even somehow 4-0, the Sharks than go against a rock solid Bruins team which will be another big test.

If the Sharks then can come away from this road trip 4-1 or 5-0 they go to Nashville before the trip ends. This could lead the Sharks 6-0. If the Sharks have any hopes to make a case for the playoffs; which they do want to, they must go 6-0. Maybe 5-1. But this will be interesting to watch because a hot start will go a long way in this pretty bad Pacific division. If there’s any reason to be excited about how weak the Pacific is; this is the Sharks chance to expose that weakness. Because they want to make the playoffs, and this is a huge stepping stone.
Oct. 20, 2021 at 2:43 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
So I was listening to the 32 thoughts podcast and Elliotte Friedman said that “everyone hates the salary cap”. I know that players and agents would dislike it, but I’m surprised that someone as in the loop as Elliotte thinks that. Or are people like me who enjoy the cap even more outnumbered than I think?

I know that I for one am 100% certain that I wouldn’t be nearly as big of a hockey fan if the salary cap didn’t exist. I’m curious to see what everyone else thinks, even though I’d expect most people on here to disagree with Elliotte.

I posted a thread about it here: https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/522246

One could argue why a luxury tax could be beneficial for the NHL but others could say well you know teams A,B,C will have an unfair advantage so...yeah nobody wins

In general if team owners would agree to put 5% more of their money into the league within new CBA agreements the cap would have still been going up even in covid times. But the majority be Scrooge McDucks so yeah never gonna happen lul. Instead they go leave it to the players to pay off the debts lul.

Let us all pray for the cap to at least go up by a mill in 2022
EsoYeezus69, zk97 and Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Oct. 20, 2021 at 4:46 p.m.
If anyone gets an injury update on Jack Hughes, please post in response to this comment. Thx.
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Oct. 20, 2021 at 4:49 p.m.
v5 CBJ GM
Quoting: Brian2016
If anyone gets an injury update on Jack Hughes, please post in response to this comment. Thx.

day to day with shoulder injury is what google is telling me

idk if thats what you wanted but im not a devils fan and idk how much everyone knows
BuFfaLOFaN and EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Oct. 20, 2021 at 4:55 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
So super early but do you all think Jake Debrusk gets his QA

Oh and in case you dont know it

His QA is 4.85mill

Personally I think hes another candidate not to get it but the season is still young.
Oct. 20, 2021 at 4:56 p.m.
v5 CBJ GM
Quoting: aadoyle
So super early but do you all think Jake Debrusk gets his QA

Oh and in case you dont know it

His QA is 4.85mill

from the way bruins fans talk about him i'd assume not
aadoyle and EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Oct. 20, 2021 at 5:01 p.m.
Quoting: Zuki9797
day to day with shoulder injury is what google is telling me

idk if thats what you wanted but im not a devils fan and idk how much everyone knows

Thx. I actually just saw that he missed practice today and they shuffled their lines in preparation for the game against the Caps tomorrow night. Looks like he's gonna miss at least one game.
zk97 and EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Oct. 20, 2021 at 5:02 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: aadoyle
One could argue why a luxury tax could be beneficial for the NHL but others could say well you know teams A,B,C will have an unfair advantage so...yeah nobody wins

In general if team owners would agree to put 5% more of their money into the league within new CBA agreements the cap would have still been going up even in covid times. But the majority be Scrooge McDucks so yeah never gonna happen lul. Instead they go leave it to the players to pay off the debts lul.

Let us all pray for the cap to at least go up by a mill in 2022

The luxury tax removes all that’s good about the salary cap and makes it all about actual money. It’s phenomenal that teams have set rules and set parameters that they need to fit in, and it isn’t different for only some teams.

And you can’t blame the owners for the cap not going up. The 50-50 split in revenue was negotiated back in 2005 when the cap was introduced I think, and if you want to blame the NHLPA for agreeing to it then, thats fine, but not overly fair. (Since there was no way to predict the league’s revenue would go down from year to year, or even lose money) If the cap were to go up now the escrow would be so high that all you’d be doing is taking money away from players who have already agreed to contracts and giving it to free agents.
A_Habs_fan and EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Oct. 20, 2021 at 5:30 p.m.
Speak of the Devil

I have a feeling that the injury will be bad

Considering there haven't been any updates
EsoYeezus69 and MitchMarner_16 liked this.
Oct. 20, 2021 at 5:57 p.m.
Quoting: Devil1122
I have a feeling that the injury will be bad

Considering there haven't been any updates

The way he was moving his arms after the fall suggests that his shoulder isn't dislocated at least. But, I could be wrong. I'm just trying ti stray optimistic.
Oct. 20, 2021 at 6:30 p.m.
Speak of the Devil

EsoYeezus69, A_Habs_fan, zk97 and 2 others liked this.
Oct. 20, 2021 at 6:32 p.m.
Speak of the Devil

Saskleaf, A_Habs_fan and yikes liked this.
Oct. 20, 2021 at 6:33 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
The way he was moving his arms after the fall suggests that his shoulder isn't dislocated at least. But, I could be wrong. I'm just trying ti stray optimistic.

I'll donate my shoulder to him so he can play lol

Also Chase Stillman is now injured
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Oct. 20, 2021 at 6:44 p.m.
@AndrewLadd 😂

EsoYeezus69, A_Habs_fan, MitchMarner_16 and 1 other person liked this.
Oct. 20, 2021 at 7:57 p.m.
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
So I was listening to the 32 thoughts podcast and Elliotte Friedman said that “everyone hates the salary cap”. I know that players and agents would dislike it, but I’m surprised that someone as in the loop as Elliotte thinks that. Or are people like me who enjoy the cap even more outnumbered than I think?

I know that I for one am 100% certain that I wouldn’t be nearly as big of a hockey fan if the salary cap didn’t exist. I’m curious to see what everyone else thinks, even though I’d expect most people on here to disagree with Elliotte.

I posted a thread about it here: https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/522246

I don’t hate the cap at all. Without it, teams like Toronto, Montreal, NYR etc would run away with the league and have a monopoly. There was a reason it was put in

Sometimes tho it can be annoying esp for my fav team, but it is 100% completely necessary and I support it
Saskleaf, zk97, EsoYeezus69 and 3 others liked this.
Oct. 20, 2021 at 8:09 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
For the people that go to school. Is everyone playing retro bowl
Oct. 20, 2021 at 8:22 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: capsfan2121
For the people that go to school. Is everyone playing retro bowl

Is it an American thing because I quite honestly have never heard of it.
EsoYeezus69, zk97 and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Oct. 20, 2021 at 8:44 p.m.
Brace for the Storm
Serious question: why do the Pens play better with injuries than without?
Oct. 20, 2021 at 8:46 p.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
Quoting: KakkoForMauriceRichardAward

It's hard to tell honestly. I think it's because they have a great system regardless of the players they ice. Whoever is put wherever performs as he should, like Heinen, Simon and Rodrigues are all producing at top 6 rates.
Saskleaf liked this.
Oct. 20, 2021 at 8:48 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith

Quoting: SevenLeg
It's hard to tell honestly. I think it's because they have a great system regardless of the players they ice. Whoever is put wherever performs as he should, like Heinen, Simon and Rodrigues are all producing at top 6 rates.

^

Also Sullivan is a great coach - and I believe when you have Crosby on your team still nearby practicing it has an effect. Crosby may not be the best player in the world anymore but he arguably still carries the strongest “gravity” in the league. At least imo, Crosby still has the strongest “atmosphere”, close by is Ovi, not guys like McDavid or Mackinnon. Crosby just has such a heavy gravity/ presence, that’s why you can never count that Pens out even if Crosby is temporarily “out”. And Malkin holds that notion because he consistently steps up when Crosby is out. And that teams learned from those two and that always competitive mentality.
Oct. 20, 2021 at 8:49 p.m.
Brace for the Storm
Quoting: yikes
^

Also Sullivan is a great coach - and I believe when you have Crosby on your team still nearby practicing it has an effect. Crosby may not be the best player in the world anymore but he arguably still carries the strongest “gravity” in the league. At least imo, Crosby still has the strongest “atmosphere”, close by is Ovi, not guys like McDavid or Mackinnon.

He's still the guy I'd want on the ice for a game 7
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Oct. 20, 2021 at 8:51 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

Its in their DNA

Like the reason I cant see the penguins ever miss the playoffs is Crosby. He somehow always makes them good enough to make it

Yeah goaltending is iffy but I got a feeling MAF will be a penguin come playoff time. I know hes not doing well in Chicago but man is Chicago's defense ass.
Oct. 20, 2021 at 8:51 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
He's still the guy I'd want on the ice for a game 7

For me I may have to argue Kucherov or Vasi (but Vasi doesn’t count really as a he’s a goalie) but Crosby is far ahead of Matthews or McDavid for me, I agree.
Oct. 20, 2021 at 8:57 p.m.
cautious optimism
Recently downloaded Bally Sports on my Xbox, but we’re fumbling around with the information with my dad’s cable provider. Hopefullly this gets fixed before tomorrow so I can actually watch games instead of listening to them on the radio. That way, my post game notes section will be more detailed
Oct. 20, 2021 at 9:01 p.m.
Brace for the Storm
NHL 22 just dropped and I couldn't care less.

They've lost me at NHL19. Screw these money grabbing bas*ards.

That's it, that's my rant for tonight. Thx for reading.
EsoYeezus69, yikes, SevenLeg and 2 others liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll