SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021/22 NHL Season Discussion thread #2

Oct. 24, 2021 at 7:37 p.m.
Quoting: PointStamkosVasilevskiy219188
Sure, watch any Canucks game from this year and compare the Elias Pettersson in them to the EP of two years ago. You'd think you were watching an estranged identical twin of Pettersson's play in his stead. He just hasn't been the same since the injury, which is why his production is falling off a cliff. Now, as some mentioned earlier, this isn't to say anything along the lines of "He'll never recover, throw the towel in, he'll never live up to his potential", but his slow start stands out from others due to his injury history. I wouldn't take Pettersson higher than 17th at best (short-term, not long) if I had my choice of centers in the league right now. For what it's worth, here's how I'd rank the top 15:
1) Connor McDavid
2) Nathan MacKinnon
3) Leon Draisaitl
4) Auston Matthews
5) Alexsander Barkov
6) Brayden Point
7) Sidney Crosby
8) Sebastian Aho
9) Ryan O'Reilly
10) Mark Scheifele
11) Mathew Barzal
12) Patrice Bergeron
13) Sean Couturier
14) Nicklas Backstrom
15) Mika Zibanejad
If EP was playing like the EP of two years ago, it would be an entirely different story, but he's not.

His production is falling off a cliff lol - let’s check back in a month. I don’t trust any of your eye tests - most of you on here have no clue what to look for when watching hockey.

Zibanejad , scheifele and Backstrom ahead of Pettersson 🤣
Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Oct. 24, 2021 at 7:39 p.m.
Brace for the Storm
Here's what I believe the Leafs need:

First, fire Dubas and Keefe, two of the worst people in hockey right now, they haven't accomplished anything and the team has stalled ever since they've been running the show.

Second, when a new GM comes in, he should accept that this core has failed and will not work out so move at least one and maybe two of AM and MM. Launch a 2-3 transition period while building cap space and coming back stronger in a few seasons, cause the way the team is currently built is not a recipe for success
Oct. 24, 2021 at 7:43 p.m.
Farewell
Quoting: KakkoForMauriceRichardAward

First, fire Dubas and Keefe, two of the worst people in hockey right now, they haven't accomplished anything and the team has stalled ever since they've been running the show.

Second, when a new GM comes in, he should accept that this core has failed and will not work out so move at least one and maybe two of AM and MM. Launch a 2-3 transition period while building cap space and coming back stronger in a few seasons, cause the way the team is currently built is not a recipe for success

The problem is that they won't admit that, until Matthews leaves and they're forced to rebuild. Leafs have a phenomenally stubborn front office.
Oct. 24, 2021 at 7:51 p.m.
Brace for the Storm
Quoting: PointStamkosVasilevskiy219188
The problem is that they won't admit that, until Matthews leaves and they're forced to rebuild. Leafs have a phenomenally stubborn front office.

yeah indeed.

Dubas screwed himself with that **** ''we can and we will mentality''

Look at the Leafs' depth... Spezza, Engvall, Kerfoot, Kase, Ritchie, Mikheyev(if his glass body doesn't break(and even then he's been as useful as a swimsuit in Antarctica recently)), Kampf and Bunting... and the Leafs call this dump ''depth''?????????????????
Oct. 24, 2021 at 7:51 p.m.
Farewell
Quoting: Db1899
His production is falling off a cliff lol - let’s check back in a month. I don’t trust any of your eye tests - most of you on here have no clue what to look for when watching hockey.

Zibanejad , scheifele and Backstrom ahead of Pettersson 🤣

Well, I'd be happy to be wrong-EP is a fun player to watch when fully healthy.
Oct. 24, 2021 at 7:54 p.m.
Farewell
yeah indeed.

Dubas screwed himself with that **** ''we can and we will mentality''

Look at the Leafs' depth... Spezza, Engvall, Kerfoot, Kase, Ritchie, Mikheyev(if his glass body doesn't break(and even then he's been as useful as a swimsuit in Antarctica recently)), Kampf and Bunting... and the Leafs call this dump ''depth''?????????????????

Agreed 100%
Oct. 24, 2021 at 8:05 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
I thought bertuzzi isn’t allowed to play
zk97 liked this.
Oct. 24, 2021 at 8:12 p.m.
You’re using Jfresh model that has Bunting WAR % extremely high after 20 games and low ice time. Not even close to the same thing as two years of Pettersson and 100+ games. Just admit you don’t understand analytics instead of trying to BS.

xG are good for predicting breakouts, Pettersson has been increasing the rate his team scores actual goals at an elite rate (GF/60).

Idk what model you use but I’m certain there are anomalies with it as well because no model is perfect, which was the point I was trying to illustrate, glad to see your ability to reason is so low that you immediately miss the point and jump to me not knowing anything. The lack of critical thinking really explains a lot. I do understand analytics, which means I understand that they’re a fantastic tool for evaluating talent, specifically concerning underrated players that do more than just score and projecting breakouts (which I previously mentioned so I guess thanks for agreeing there), but not the only possible way to define a player’s value. For elite talent the results are plain and the analytics aren’t as important. Nobody’s giving McDavid or Draisaitl (much) sh*t for being some of the worst defensive players in the league for example, they’re still both (rightfully) regarded as top 5 players. Pettersson’s underlying numbers are great, but there’s more to hockey than WAR. Looking at his numbers you can say that yeah, he has the potential to break out and become a top 5 centre in the league, assuming he stays healthy and everything clicks perfectly, but looking at his results plainly shows that he’s not there yet. There’s a difference between “could be” top 5 and “is” top 5.
Ah it’s the stats that counts. Only two players have scored goals at a higher rate than Gallagher over the last 3 years. Results! Scoring goals at a higher rate than most of the league only makes you a good top 6 winger?

Why doesn’t he have a Rocket then? You’re literally taking one underlying number and extrapolating that to mean he’s among the top players at his position. Brannstrom was like 12th in P/60 among defenseman with 400+ min TOI at 5v5 last year, does that make him the 12th best defenseman in the league? Gallagher’s results show that he is consistently a shot machine, physical 30 goal guy. He’s too old to breakout, and has been fairly consistent in recent years. Good top 6 winger, probably 1st line on several teams. Not a top 10 RW in the game.
Oct. 24, 2021 at 8:14 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
MAF deserves better than this

If this is his final year in the NHL and it goes down this way

Man that's gonna be sad
Oct. 24, 2021 at 8:16 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle

Man that's gonna be sad

He’ll probably retire a Penguin. Whether that means signing with them in the summer or getting dealt there mid-season if Chicago continues to suck, I bet that’s where he ends up.
aadoyle liked this.
Oct. 24, 2021 at 8:18 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Alfie11
He’ll probably retire a Penguin. Whether that means signing with them in the summer or getting dealt there mid-season if Chicago continues to suck, I bet that’s where he ends up.

I really hope so. Like honestly trade him on any other team IDC, just get him off the Hawks

Cause man if he ends his career with the worst goalie numbers seen since Ken McAuley it will be a feels bad moment
Oct. 24, 2021 at 8:26 p.m.
Farewell
Quoting: aadoyle

Man that's gonna be sad

I know, right? I can't believe this-they're getting shellacked AGAIN, they're going to be the only team besides the Coyotes-the Coyotes!!!-without a win. Wow, this is just sad.
In fairness, he's playing with an abysmal D in front of him, but that doesn't explain it all-some of these goals he's letting up are so uncharacteristic.
aadoyle liked this.
Oct. 24, 2021 at 8:29 p.m.
Quoting: Alfie11
Idk what model you use but I’m certain there are anomalies with it as well because no model is perfect, which was the point I was trying to illustrate, glad to see your ability to reason is so low that you immediately miss the point and jump to me not knowing anything. The lack of critical thinking really explains a lot. I do understand analytics, which means I understand that they’re a fantastic tool for evaluating talent, specifically concerning underrated players that do more than just score and projecting breakouts (which I previously mentioned so I guess thanks for agreeing there), but not the only possible way to define a player’s value. For elite talent the results are plain and the analytics aren’t as important. Nobody’s giving McDavid or Draisaitl (much) sh*t for being some of the worst defensive players in the league for example, they’re still both (rightfully) regarded as top 5 players. Pettersson’s underlying numbers are great, but there’s more to hockey than WAR. Looking at his numbers you can say that yeah, he has the potential to break out and become a top 5 centre in the league, assuming he stays healthy and everything clicks perfectly, but looking at his results plainly shows that he’s not there yet. There’s a difference between “could be” top 5 and “is” top 5.

Why doesn’t he have a Rocket then? You’re literally taking one underlying number and extrapolating that to mean he’s among the top players at his position. Brannstrom was like 12th in P/60 among defenseman with 400+ min TOI at 5v5 last year, does that make him the 12th best defenseman in the league? Gallagher’s results show that he is consistently a shot machine, physical 30 goal guy. He’s too old to breakout, and has been fairly consistent in recent years. Good top 6 winger, probably 1st line on several teams. Not a top 10 RW in the game.

The results actually are there for Pettersson, you just put way too much emphasis on points (which is wrong). With your logic you must think Patrick Kane has been better than Mark Stone over the past 3 seasons.

Goals per 60 is not an underlying number lol. You’re really comparing a large sample size of 3 seasons to Brannstroms 30 games in sheltered minutes. Gallagher plays some of the toughest minutes in the league and only plays 15-16 minutes per game, which isn’t 1st line minutes. Despite that he still ranks 4th in 5v5 goals and 23 in all situations goals over the past 3 seasons. Context matters, I’m not going to fault Gallagher because his coach doesn’t play him the minutes he deserves. When he’s on the ice, he scores goals at an elite rate and he’s been doing it for a long time. Congrats to Brannstrom tho
Oct. 24, 2021 at 8:43 p.m.
torontos finest

Really glad you decided to stop pretending to be a Toronto fan because these are some pretty abysmal takes 6 games into a season.
Alfie11 liked this.
Oct. 24, 2021 at 8:48 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Oct. 24, 2021 at 8:54 p.m.
Quoting: mondo
Really glad you decided to stop pretending to be a Toronto fan because these are some pretty abysmal takes 6 games into a season.

Yep, 6 games in and people act like its 0-82

Teams go through their slumps, the good news for us its happening now and not towards the end of the season where its to late to do anything

Once the big boyz get going and the passion and confidence return I got a feeling things will improve.

As for the fire Dubas Keefe talks. People got to realize firing them could potentially change nothing

Lets say they fire Dubas and hire GMJR and he does a worse job within his first year then what, K fire Keefe and hire Torts alright he comes in and leafs end up missing the playoffs then what, trade marner alright but it ends up as another Kadri trade. Looks good on paper but blows up in our face while Marner with his new team goes on to win the cup.

Stability is key, we cant just go around firing people just because they make one or two mistakes or the results are not what we wanted. If that was the case Benning would have been fired years ago.
Oct. 24, 2021 at 8:51 p.m.
Seth Jones is trash

Oct. 24, 2021 at 8:53 p.m.
Seth Jones is trash

In other news, the sky is blue.
Oct. 24, 2021 at 8:55 p.m.
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
In other news, the sky is blue.

The guy has a lot of diehard fans.
Oct. 24, 2021 at 9:00 p.m.
The guy has a lot of diehard fans.

Oh, I know. I believe it was you that I had an earlier exchange with where I stated that the Ristolainen trade return was the biggest shock of the offseason for me and I thought he would be the exception to the 'Big RHD = good' mentality.

I was under no such illusion with Jones. The saga with him was worse than the Ristolainen situation by a wide margin, imo. But more surprising? Not a chance.
Db1899 liked this.
Oct. 24, 2021 at 9:01 p.m.
Farewell
Seth Jones is trash

At least we agree on this and Trotz smile
Db1899 liked this.
Oct. 24, 2021 at 9:03 p.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain

Biggest Sens-Sharks trade of all-time
A_Habs_fan and KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Oct. 24, 2021 at 9:06 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: SevenLeg

Why didnt they just claim him for free

I know its a 7th but he was available

Who knows that 7th could have became the next Kubalik, Johnsson (in his prime) or Weegar lul
Oct. 24, 2021 at 9:06 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: Zuki9797
didnt he just get suspended without pay for not being vaxxed

Quoting: capsfan2121
Yes

He's not playing in Montreal, yes, but the red wings aren't clear on his is or isn't getting payed for it, at least if this article is to be believed.

https://www.detroitnews.com/videos/sports/nhl/red-wings/2021/10/23/wings-jeff-blashill-wont-say-if-tyler-bertuzzi-technically-suspended-tonights-game/6159402001/
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Oct. 24, 2021 at 9:07 p.m.
Quoting: SevenLeg

Wasn’t he on waivers like a week ago? Not sure why we didn’t just claim him, or half a dozen other guys of similar value (ABB?) on waivers rather than give up a 7th
aadoyle liked this.
Oct. 24, 2021 at 9:08 p.m.
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
Oh, I know. I believe it was you that I had an earlier exchange with where I stated that the Ristolainen trade return was the biggest shock of the offseason for me and I thought he would be the exception to the 'Big RHD = good' mentality.

I was under no such illusion with Jones. The saga with him was worse than the Ristolainen situation by a wide margin, imo. But more surprising? Not a chance.

I would really like Lou to sell high on Mayfield next summer. He’s a 6’5 RHD, physical and good defensively. He should start the bidding at two 1sts.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll