Forums/Armchair-GM

Eichel for Thomas

Created by: A_K
Team: 2021-22 St. Louis Blues
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 20, 2021
Published: Oct. 20, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I really like the way the Blues forward group is already built, they'd probably be better off chasing defensive upgrades than another center, but I couldn't resist taking a peek.
Trades
BUF
  1. Barbashev, Ivan
  2. Bolduc, Zachary
  3. Tarasenko, Vladimir
  4. Thomas, Robert
  5. 2023 1st round pick (STL)
Additional Details:
conditions on pick
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$74,923,849$306,349$1,675,000$6,576,151
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the St. Louis Blues
$2,800,000$2,800,000
RW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$10,000,000$10,000,000
C
UFA - 5
$5,800,000$5,800,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 4
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
NTC
UFA - 5
$1,875,000$1,875,000
C
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$866,667$866,667
LW, RW
RFA - 4
$6,500,000$6,500,000
C, LW
NTC
UFA - 7
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RW, C
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
LW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000 (Performance Bonus$1,250,000$1M)
C, RW
NTC
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
LW, RW
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,500,000$6,500,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 6
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 6
$6,000,000$6,000,000
G
NTC
UFA - 6
$3,275,000$3,275,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
LD
UFA - 1
$1,375,000$1,375,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$750,000$750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW
UFA - 1
$787,500$787,500
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Oct. 20, 2021 at 2:39 p.m.
KFTW
They’re built very well. I’m a big fan . Hoping Ottawa follows this model.
A_K liked this.
Oct. 20, 2021 at 2:39 p.m.
Lets Go Blues
@csick the forward lines are filthy. I had to keep Neighbours, he might already be Berube's favorite player.
csick liked this.
Oct. 20, 2021 at 2:40 p.m.
KFTW
Quoting: A_K
csick the forward lines are filthy. I had to keep Neighbours, he might already be Berube's favorite player.

It looks very good. Now if you can upgrade LD , it would be a top contender
Oct. 20, 2021 at 2:42 p.m.
I honestly think Buffalo will not get a better deal than this from anyone. Frankly Im not sure STL should do this.
gretzkyghosts liked this.
Oct. 20, 2021 at 2:43 p.m.
Lets Go Blues
Quoting: csick

Hampus Lindholm, come on down
Oct. 20, 2021 at 2:44 p.m.

@csick how would you feel about an Eichel to OTT trade? Do you guys have too many center prospects?
csick liked this.
Oct. 20, 2021 at 2:45 p.m.
Lets Go Blues
Quoting: F50marco
I honestly think Buffalo will not get a better deal than this from anyone. Frankly Im not sure STL should do this.

Yeah I agree - it hurts the Blues a good bit, losing a few affordable guys just to add something that isn't 100% needed. Buffalo seemingly loses leverage every day, you gotta wonder what kind of package finally gets it done. Probably not better than this.
csick liked this.
Oct. 20, 2021 at 2:46 p.m.
KFTW
Quoting: Sharkie0884
csick how would you feel about an Eichel to OTT trade? Do you guys have too many center prospects?

I’m hesitant to trade Pinto right now, he looks like a stud. I think we might even have our top 2 centres in Norris and Pinto. I’d prefer to trade for a right handed scoring RW.
Oct. 20, 2021 at 2:48 p.m.
I’m hesitant to trade Pinto right now, he looks like a stud. I think we might even have our top 2 centres in Norris and Pinto. I’d prefer to trade for a right handed scoring RW.

Yeah that's what I thought! Pinto is a great player. I thought he possibly might've edged out Caufield for Hobey Baker but Caufield is incredible. Wish the Sharks still had Norris!
csick liked this.
Oct. 20, 2021 at 2:50 p.m.
KFTW
Yeah that's what I thought! Pinto is a great player. I thought he possibly might've edged out Caufield for Hobey Baker but Caufield is incredible. Wish the Sharks still had Norris!

Pinto came in last year , had 7pts in 12 games and was playing the PK right from the get go and is great at faceoffs. The coach has him on a shutdown line with Paul and Brown this year but they’re actually the line that plays the most minutes. He’s so big and strong and a good skater too. I have 0 complaints about his game. He might even be better than Norris. These 2 fighting for the 1C is very comparable to Schenn vs ROR. 2 very good players
jt0884 liked this.
Oct. 20, 2021 at 2:51 p.m.
Pinto came in last year , had 7pts in 12 games and was playing the PK right from the get go and is great at faceoffs. The coach has him on a shutdown line with Paul and Brown this year but they’re actually the line that plays the most minutes. He’s so big and strong and a good skater too. I have 0 complaints about his game. He might even be better than Norris. These 2 fighting for the 1C is very comparable to Schenn vs ROR. 2 very good players

Yes, just imagine when both are matured and at the top of their games!
csick liked this.
Oct. 20, 2021 at 2:53 p.m.
buffdaddy8
Buffalo almost certainly has to accept this. It would be awesome to have Jack, but at this price I wouldn't sleep well at night. I'd rather invest a smaller portion of this package (or a variation) to upgrade our D, especially on the left side.
csick and A_K liked this.
Oct. 20, 2021 at 2:54 p.m.
KFTW
Yes, just imagine when both are matured and at the top of their games!

Ideally :

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Stutzle-Pinto-XXX
Formenton-White-Brown
Paul-Kelly-Watson

Chabot-XXX
Sanderson-Zub
Kleven-JBD/Thomson

Gustavsson
Murray/Sogard
Oct. 20, 2021 at 2:55 p.m.
KFTW
Quoting: HHARLAN
Buffalo almost certainly has to accept this. It would be awesome to have Jack, but at this price I wouldn't sleep well at night. I'd rather invest a smaller portion of this package (or a variation) to upgrade our D, especially on the left side.

This team has very strong depth right now and no room for everyone, Eichel at a PPG or higher is a big steal
Oct. 20, 2021 at 3:03 p.m.
Am Yisrael Chai
Love it for Buffalo tbh. Essentially 3 firsts, a nice bottom 6 center option on a cheap deal, and Tarasenko who can showcase for a trade and sell high if he plays well with our top guns (Olofsson, Skinner, and Mitts)
Oct. 20, 2021 at 4:07 p.m.
Good Opinion Haver
Quoting: A_K
Hampus Lindholm, come on down

Bring me Marcus Pettersson. Tall, speedy young defensive defenseman with term who is already one of the best in the league at suppressing high danger chances.
Oct. 20, 2021 at 4:12 p.m.
mokumboi
You already know what I'm going to say.
Oct. 20, 2021 at 4:24 p.m.
Lets Go Blues
Quoting: TheEarthmaster
Bring me Marcus Pettersson. Tall, speedy young defensive defenseman with term who is already one of the best in the league at suppressing high danger chances.

I'm not really sold on MP but he'd probably be pretty cheap to acquire and might be a fit.

Quoting: mokumboi
You already know what I'm going to say.

I appreciate your self-control tears of joy just seeing what it would look like, I think it's too steep all things considered
Oct. 20, 2021 at 5:00 p.m.
mokumboi

Hmm. That's certainly a bit of exaggeration, but the thing you're really overlooking is what a catastrophe he is getting out of the zone - about 14th percentile in success % over his career so far. That's Oleksiak territory, meaning in the long run he probably creates far more danger chances with his turnovers and bad passes than he suppresses. Any way you slice it, he's a 3rd pairing guy signed to a 4x4.

Final analysis: Diamond hard pass for me.
Oct. 21, 2021 at 12:33 p.m.
Good Opinion Haver
Edited Oct. 21, 2021 at 12:44 p.m.
Hmm. That's certainly a bit of exaggeration, but the thing you're really overlooking is what a catastrophe he is getting out of the zone - about 14th percentile in success % over his career so far. That's Oleksiak territory, meaning in the long run he probably creates far more danger chances with his turnovers and bad passes than he suppresses. Any way you slice it, he's a 3rd pairing guy signed to a 4x4.

Final analysis: Diamond hard pass for me.

That's your opinion, and that's your right to it, but I don't think it's a very informed one.

First of all, it's not an exaggeration at all- from Dom Luszczyszyn's season preview of the Penguins this year on the Athletic: "Surprisingly he [Brian Dumoulin] wasn't the best on the team last season- that honor went to Marcus Pettersson, a sometimes maligned figure on the backend. He's better than many give him credit for and I'm not quite sure where the hate stems from. He's not a great puck-mover and isn't the most physical, but he puts up great defensive numbers. He consistently allows fewer chances relative to teammates which brings him to a consistent 53 percent (!) expected goals rate and an even higher actual goals rate. Last year, no one allowed fewer expected goals against than Pettersson". Evolving Hockey likes him too (not on the power play I guess, but why would anyone use him on the power play?).

I'm also not sure where you're seeing all these turnovers and bad passes. He was #305 among defensemen in giveaways since 2017-18, his first season in the league, far far behind the typical guys people throw up there as solutions for the Blues defense like Lindholm, Scandella, or Mayfield. His teams gets more shots with him on the ice than without him on the ice, something that's only improved as he's gotten older. So even if he is bad at breaking out of the zone, the Penguins are still have more possession than not when he's on the ice. I think your concern about this one stat is unwarranted. I wish you'd apply the same reasoning every time someone recommends trading Ivan Barbashev or Oskar Sundqvist. Diamond hard opinions isn't always the best approach to stuff.

As for the third pairing thing, you're right that he doesn't get a ton of ice time (17 minutes per game, which puts him at a low end second pair option) but like Vince Dunn (although in kind of an opposite way) I think he's a guy who could benefit from a bigger role. His play style and size is extremely similar to Jay Bouwmeester and I think that's the kind of guy Parayko could use again. I don't discount that it would be a risk but every move is a risk to some degree, and I think he's significantly less risky than someone like Lindholm who is older, has tons of pedigree, and is on an expiring deal. He's definitely not going to hurt you anymore than say, Marco Scandella does.
Oct. 21, 2021 at 1:07 p.m.
mokumboi
That's your opinion, and that's your right to it, but I don't think it's a very informed one.

First of all, it's not an exaggeration at all- from Dom Luszczyszyn's season preview of the Penguins this year on the Athletic: "Surprisingly he [Brian Dumoulin] wasn't the best on the team last season- that honor went to Marcus Pettersson, a sometimes maligned figure on the backend. He's better than many give him credit for and I'm not quite sure where the hate stems from. He's not a great puck-mover and isn't the most physical, but he puts up great defensive numbers. He consistently allows fewer chances relative to teammates which brings him to a consistent 53 percent (!) expected goals rate and an even higher actual goals rate. Last year, no one allowed fewer expected goals against than Pettersson". Evolving Hockey likes him too (not on the power play I guess, but why would anyone use him on the power play?).

I'm also not sure where you're seeing all these turnovers and bad passes. He was #305 among defensemen in giveaways since 2017-18, his first season in the league, far far behind the typical guys people throw up there as solutions for the Blues defense like Lindholm, Scandella, or Mayfield. His teams gets more shots with him on the ice than without him on the ice, something that's only improved as he's gotten older. So even if he is bad at breaking out of the zone, the Penguins are still have more possession than not when he's on the ice. I think your concern about this one stat is unwarranted. I wish you'd apply the same reasoning every time someone recommends trading Ivan Barbashev or Oskar Sundqvist. Diamond hard opinions isn't always the best approach to stuff.

As for the third pairing thing, you're right that he doesn't get a ton of ice time (17 minutes per game, which puts him at a low end second pair option) but like Vince Dunn (although in kind of an opposite way) I think he's a guy who could benefit from a bigger role. His play style and size is extremely similar to Jay Bouwmeester and I think that's the kind of guy Parayko could use again. I don't discount that it would be a risk but every move is a risk to some degree, and I think he's significantly less risky than someone like Lindholm who is older, has tons of pedigree, and is on an expiring deal. He's definitely not going to hurt you anymore than say, Marco Scandella does.

1- First of all, him saying Petterson gets "hate" is just being dramatic. And secondly, he kinda immediately answers his own overdramatic question. Petterson makes people nervous because he's a problem moving out of the zone. As we all saw last season, failing to get out of the zone causes a lot of trouble.

2- I'm seeing his zone exit stats in his zone exit stats. Adding someone from the 14th percentile at exiting the zone safely doesn't work for me. I mean, I did say it was a pass for me. I'm not trying to speak for the Blues or anyone else.
Oct. 21, 2021 at 2:14 p.m.
Good Opinion Haver
1- First of all, him saying Petterson gets "hate" is just being dramatic. And secondly, he kinda immediately answers his own overdramatic question. Petterson makes people nervous because he's a problem moving out of the zone. As we all saw last season, failing to get out of the zone causes a lot of trouble.

2- I'm seeing his zone exit stats in his zone exit stats. Adding someone from the 14th percentile at exiting the zone safely doesn't work for me. I mean, I did say it was a pass for me. I'm not trying to speak for the Blues or anyone else.

If you scroll through Pens twitter at all, or look at the comments on that review, you will see that the hate thing is not being dramatic at all. The fans don't like him. He was basically their Zach Sanford, another player who was good defensively that the fans hated. And again, if you look at it, it really has nothing to do with his lack of puck movement skills, it's almost entirely because he doesn't hit people. People think defensive defensemen should hit people. The very reason that Josh Yohe (Pens beat writer on the Athletic) said that Pettersson was available was because he "wouldn't beat too many NHL players in an arm-wrestling contest". Like, it's about that and pretty much nothing else. It's not Dom being overdramatic, it's acknowledging the very thing that penguins fans (the biggest group reading a preview of the Penguins) would jump down his throat for before making the case why Pettersson is good. It's good writing and it shows he has a pulse on the fanbase.

Dom also knowledges that he's not the best puck mover and I'll admit that's true as well (again though, it's not why people don't like him, but it's a true drawback of his game). But every defensemen on this team doesn't have to be Torey Krug. We have tons of puck moving options- Faulk, Parayko, and Krug all made their name as puck moving defensemen. Walman plays a similar game, Perunovich is coming up soon. That doesn't mean every defenseman is useless because he doesn't move the puck extremely well. You need someone whose primary strength is stopping pucks from getting to your goalie. Hjalmarsson wasn't a good puck mover, nor is Micael Kempny nor was Jay Bouwmeester at 35 but they all played critical shutdown roles on cup winning teams. It's good to have a diversity of skills in your defense core.

And again, looking at one stat and determining whether that makes a player good or not is not a complete analysis of a player. And I understand that you are speaking "for yourself", but like we're talking about bringing him to the Blues and we are both Blues fans so...okay? We're clearly talking about what we think would be best "for the Blues" so I'm not sure what you're trying to say by saying "I speak for myself". This is all just opinions and I said as much in my first response that you can have this opinion, just as I can.
Oct. 21, 2021 at 3:12 p.m.
mokumboi
If you scroll through Pens twitter at all, or look at the comments on that review, you will see that the hate thing is not being dramatic at all. The fans don't like him. He was basically their Zach Sanford, another player who was good defensively that the fans hated. And again, if you look at it, it really has nothing to do with his lack of puck movement skills, it's almost entirely because he doesn't hit people. People think defensive defensemen should hit people. The very reason that Josh Yohe (Pens beat writer on the Athletic) said that Pettersson was available was because he "wouldn't beat too many NHL players in an arm-wrestling contest". Like, it's about that and pretty much nothing else. It's not Dom being overdramatic, it's acknowledging the very thing that penguins fans (the biggest group reading a preview of the Penguins) would jump down his throat for before making the case why Pettersson is good. It's good writing and it shows he has a pulse on the fanbase.

Dom also knowledges that he's not the best puck mover and I'll admit that's true as well (again though, it's not why people don't like him, but it's a true drawback of his game). But every defensemen on this team doesn't have to be Torey Krug. We have tons of puck moving options- Faulk, Parayko, and Krug all made their name as puck moving defensemen. Walman plays a similar game, Perunovich is coming up soon. That doesn't mean every defenseman is useless because he doesn't move the puck extremely well. You need someone whose primary strength is stopping pucks from getting to your goalie. Hjalmarsson wasn't a good puck mover, nor is Micael Kempny nor was Jay Bouwmeester at 35 but they all played critical shutdown roles on cup winning teams. It's good to have a diversity of skills in your defense core.

And again, looking at one stat and determining whether that makes a player good or not is not a complete analysis of a player. And I understand that you are speaking "for yourself", but like we're talking about bringing him to the Blues and we are both Blues fans so...okay? We're clearly talking about what we think would be best "for the Blues" so I'm not sure what you're trying to say by saying "I speak for myself". This is all just opinions and I said as much in my first response that you can have this opinion, just as I can.

1- I don't bother with Twitter, so I'll just take your word for it.

2- Just FYI, J-Bo was 56th percentile in zone exit % the Cup year. That's more than adequate for what he brought next to Parayko. And I never said they all had to be puck carrying wizards, but when a guy is below a certain level, it's a problem.

3- I didn't say it was the only factor I weighed. And it's not just a weakness, it's a 14th percentile sized weakness. It's perfectly fair to feel that this one thing, which is very important to our system, needs to be above a certain level, especially for a guy signed to 4x4 to very possibly end up as a 3D. There are better, more suitable LDs on better contracts we could go after if necessary.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll