SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Tampa Bay Lightning

Ryan McDonagh

Oct. 20, 2021 at 6:05 p.m.
Banned
Okay, so back at the 2018 trade deadline, the Lightning brought over Ryan McDonagh from the Rangers along with J.T. Miller in a big blockbuster trade. In 2018-19, McDonagh's first full year with the Lightning, he had a strong season playing 82 games, and putting up 9 goals and 46 points. It's worth noting that he was in a contract year, so he would have had extra motivation to perform well, and good on him, because it earned himself a 7 year 42.5 million dollar contract carrying an AAV of 6.75M

Since signing his new contract, McDonagh's offensive production has fallen off a cliff. McDonagh has played just 50 games in both the past two seasons and in both seasons, he has only recorded 12 points. Now before everyone scurries over to argue that McDonagh isn't relied on for offense but contributes more so defensively, let me tell you that I don't care what he contributes defensively. In my book, if I defenseman is making an AAV of $5 million or more this season, they should be contributing at least a little something offensively. Even though I'm not a big Lightning fan, it still bothers me that this guy is making more than defensemen like Tyler Myers and Nate Schmidt, two other guys who have gotten their far share of flack in recent years. Overall, I think this is one contract that isn't ageing well for the Lightning, and I still don't understand why they chose to protect him in the expansion draft, because I wouldn't have
Oct. 20, 2021 at 6:58 p.m.
I want Gourde back
Quoting: Knuckl3s
Okay, so back at the 2018 trade deadline, the Lightning brought over Ryan McDonagh from the Rangers along with J.T. Miller in a big blockbuster trade. In 2018-19, McDonagh's first full year with the Lightning, he had a strong season playing 82 games, and putting up 9 goals and 46 points. It's worth noting that he was in a contract year, so he would have had extra motivation to perform well, and good on him, because it earned himself a 7 year 42.5 million dollar contract carrying an AAV of 6.75M

Since signing his new contract, McDonagh's offensive production has fallen off a cliff. McDonagh has played just 50 games in both the past two seasons and in both seasons, he has only recorded 12 points. Now before everyone scurries over to argue that McDonagh isn't relied on for offense but contributes more so defensively, let me tell you that I don't care what he contributes defensively. In my book, if I defenseman is making an AAV of $5 million or more this season, they should be contributing at least a little something offensively. Even though I'm not a big Lightning fan, it still bothers me that this guy is making more than defensemen like Tyler Myers and Nate Schmidt, two other guys who have gotten their far share of flack in recent years. Overall, I think this is one contract that isn't ageing well for the Lightning, and I still don't understand why they chose to protect him in the expansion draft, because I wouldn't have

I get it your not a Lightning fan, but most of us Lightning fans on here that watch almost every game know that he's insanely important. At worst he's the 6th most important player on the team. He may not get a ton of points, but he still provides offense. He was probably 4th in line for Conn Smythe last year. And you can't tell me Nate Schmidt or Tyler Myers is even close to as good at defense as Ryan McDonagh
Oct. 20, 2021 at 7:57 p.m.
Rutta 4ever
Sure he's overpaid, but do we get to the Stanley Cup Final and win in back-to-back seasons without him? My answer would be no. Overpaid, but his role is still very important to the team, especially when things need to be locked down on defense in the playoffs.
Oct. 20, 2021 at 9:42 p.m.
I want Gourde back
Quoting: CoopsTroops
Sure he's overpaid, but do we get to the Stanley Cup Final and win in back-to-back seasons without him? My answer would be no. Overpaid, but his role is still very important to the team, especially when things need to be locked down on defense in the playoffs.

I wouldn't say he's overpaid. I would say that he got too much term, but for now he's not overpaid
Oct. 22, 2021 at 4:25 p.m.
Farewell
Quoting: imawesome
I get it your not a Lightning fan, but most of us Lightning fans on here that watch almost every game know that he's insanely important. At worst he's the 6th most important player on the team. He may not get a ton of points, but he still provides offense. He was probably 4th in line for Conn Smythe last year. And you can't tell me Nate Schmidt or Tyler Myers is even close to as good at defense as Ryan McDonagh

This is exactly right. McDonagh is a lockdown defender and crucial PK'er who rarely takes penalties and constantly gets the team through rough patches. His offense isn't what it used to be, but he's still enormously important to the team; there's no way the Lightning win the 2021 Cup (and probably not the 2020 one either) without him-he was so incredibly consistent throughout the playoffs, and had enormous assist after enormous assist (to Brayden Point to win Game 1 against the Panthers, to Savard who then found Colton in front of a yawning cage to win the Cup) while being nearly impossible to beat in the D zone. He's terrific.
Oct. 22, 2021 at 5:02 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: PointStamkosVasilevskiy219188
This is exactly right. McDonagh is a lockdown defender and crucial PK'er who rarely takes penalties and constantly gets the team through rough patches. His offense isn't what it used to be, but he's still enormously important to the team; there's no way the Lightning win the 2021 Cup (and probably not the 2020 one either) without him-he was so incredibly consistent throughout the playoffs, and had enormous assist after enormous assist (to Brayden Point to win Game 1 against the Panthers, to Savard who then found Colton in front of a yawning cage to win the Cup) while being nearly impossible to beat in the D zone. He's terrific.

Fair enough, not saying he doesn't have any value, but I still don't know about him being under contract at that number for five more years, cause before he is up, a bunch of the young guys are going to need to be re-signed or traded. Hopefully their is cap space for the Lightning

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll