SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Boston Bruins

The Charlie Coyle issue

Oct. 21, 2021 at 12:47 a.m.
Banned
Okay, so I understand that Charlie Coyle made a good impression with the Bruins when he first came over from Minnesota, but I have to ask, why did Boston re-sign him in the 2020 off-season and pay him like a no. 2 Center when they still had David Krejci. Obviously Coyle is only in his second year of his new six year contract, and there is hope that he bounces back, but paying a guy 5.25 million for a guy whom is your default no. 3 Center is extremely risky no matter how you put
Oct. 28, 2021 at 9:44 a.m.
Quoting: Knuckl3s
Okay, so I understand that Charlie Coyle made a good impression with the Bruins when he first came over from Minnesota, but I have to ask, why did Boston re-sign him in the 2020 off-season and pay him like a no. 2 Center when they still had David Krejci. Obviously Coyle is only in his second year of his new six year contract, and there is hope that he bounces back, but paying a guy 5.25 million for a guy whom is your default no. 3 Center is extremely risky no matter how you put

They wanted to keep the player around and that was the cost to do so. guys that were 2c's for other teams just got ridiculous contracts. i think when we signed the coyle deal it was pretty apparent krejci probably wouldnt be back after his contract ended.
Oct. 28, 2021 at 6:32 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: hanson493
They wanted to keep the player around and that was the cost to do so. guys that were 2c's for other teams just got ridiculous contracts. i think when we signed the coyle deal it was pretty apparent krejci probably wouldnt be back after his contract ended.

In that case, then I think it's safe to call that a mistake on Sweeney's part. I guess it's too bad Coyle wouldn't take more of a discount to stay in Boston, especially considering he is a Massachusetts boy
Oct. 29, 2021 at 8:44 a.m.
In that case, then I think it's safe to call that a mistake on Sweeney's part. I guess it's too bad Coyle wouldn't take more of a discount to stay in Boston, especially considering he is a Massachusetts boy

contract was signed PRE-Covid and flat cap. every nhl team expected cap to significantly rise with new cba. just bad timing. coyle had a significant injury all year last year. i agree he probably isnt this teams 2c but hes a very solid 3c. hes a borderline 2 winger. hindsight is always 20/20.
pinslack liked this.
Oct. 29, 2021 at 4:42 p.m.
Banned
contract was signed PRE-Covid and flat cap. every nhl team expected cap to significantly rise with new cba. just bad timing. coyle had a significant injury all year last year. i agree he probably isnt this teams 2c but hes a very solid 3c. hes a borderline 2 winger. hindsight is always 20/20.

Flat cap or not, I'd say at 5.25M per season, Coyle should be at least an elite no. 3 center in this league. He should be on the same level as guys like J-G Pageau, Yanni Gourde, and Anthony Cirelli, but he isn't which should be really frustrating for Bruins fans
Oct. 29, 2021 at 5:19 p.m.
Flat cap or not, I'd say at 5.25M per season, Coyle should be at least an elite no. 3 center in this league. He should be on the same level as guys like J-G Pageau, Yanni Gourde, and Anthony Cirelli, but he isn't which should be really frustrating for Bruins fans

I mean gourde was a top 6 player, i think cirelli is a solid 2c (again a true top 6 player) and the bruins 100% should have offersheeted him. I think pageau and coyle both have their strengths. Pageau is an elite defensive shutdown center, ive though he would have been perfect as a bruins 3c. i think coyle is better offensively as a physical presence on smaller middle 6 teams. but when he goes up against another physical line he doesnt take advantage of the speed he has either. i think coyle is an elite 3c. and a solid 2 winger. but i dont think hes a good 2c.
Oct. 29, 2021 at 5:42 p.m.
Banned
I mean gourde was a top 6 player, i think cirelli is a solid 2c (again a true top 6 player) and the bruins 100% should have offersheeted him. I think pageau and coyle both have their strengths. Pageau is an elite defensive shutdown center, ive though he would have been perfect as a bruins 3c. i think coyle is better offensively as a physical presence on smaller middle 6 teams. but when he goes up against another physical line he doesnt take advantage of the speed he has either. i think coyle is an elite 3c. and a solid 2 winger. but i dont think hes a good 2c.

That's a fair way of putting it

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll