Forums/Armchair-GM

If this keeps up

Created by: rgwhite17
Team: 2021-22 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 26, 2021
Published: Oct. 26, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Maybe this will end up making the most sense for both teams after all. Can’t see the leafs getting a better player than eichel in a Marner deal. And same goes for Buffalo.
Both players come with different risks so maybe straight up makes sense too.

Eichel probably spends the year on LTIR so the leafs could look to add some money to fill some holes this year. Just rentals that can be traded for at a low cost.
But this deal would be more so geared towards next year and the future, I just can’t see how you get a strong return for Marner in a package deal, at least this way there’s a chance Eichel gets healthy and is elite again.
Trades
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$71,210,116$0$400,000$10,289,884
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW
UFA - 2
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 3
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 4
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 3
$950,000$950,000
LW
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 2
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 3
$3,800,000$3,800,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,650,000$1,650,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RD
RFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
G
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,645,000$1,645,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$10,000,000$10,000,000
C
UFA - 5

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Oct. 26, 2021 at 9:34 a.m.
so the issue isn't the overly top heavy forward salary structure, its marner?

While I agree one of the big 3 contracts HAS TO GO, I dont think replacing it with another forward on a 10mil+ cap hit is the answer
gretzkyghosts liked this.
Oct. 26, 2021 at 9:37 a.m.
I mean, honestly I could see this happening. The further the Eichel situation goes on, the more I believe that a player swap makes more sense. Like with laine and Dubois this swap may lineup pretty well.
Saskleaf and gretzkyghosts liked this.
Oct. 26, 2021 at 9:39 a.m.
Shibbal18
Sabres are not interested in Marner
Oct. 26, 2021 at 9:42 a.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: tsyls
I mean, honestly I could see this happening. The further the Eichel situation goes on, the more I believe that a player swap makes more sense. Like with laine and Dubois this swap may lineup pretty well.

The thing is, it doesn't really help either team.

From the leafs perspective, you are trading a guy who sucks in the playoffs for a guy... who's never even played in the playoffs. No thanks.

But in term of likelyhood, I agree it's slowly getting more likely as both teams are probably getting very desperate and need to make a splash.
tsyls and gretzkyghosts liked this.
Oct. 26, 2021 at 9:44 a.m.
Go leafs go
Edited Oct. 26, 2021 at 9:51 a.m.
Quoting: Shibbal18
Sabres are not interested in Marner

You do realize that Eichel is probably going to be trade for like Kaliev and a first rounder at this point, right? You aren't getting Byfield and Turcotte. Nobody wants to pay a lot for Eichel.
gretzkyghosts liked this.
Oct. 26, 2021 at 9:50 a.m.
Quoting: Saskleaf
The thing is, it doesn't really help either team.

From the leafs perspective, you are trading a guy who sucks in the playoffs for a guy... who's never even played in the playoffs. No thanks.

But in term of likelyhood, I agree it's slowly getting more likely as both teams are probably getting very desperate and need to make a splash.

There’s going to be a point where the process is sped up quite a bit, and I think that’ll be when Eichel files a grievance.

I know this move doesn’t necessarily help either team but it’s a solution to a problem. Like you mentioned in another comment on here, Eichel has lost a ton of value being out as long as he’s been, still needing surgery and all the question marks around his recovery. Buffalo has seriously shot themselves in the foot with this situation. They’re going to have to settle for a bit less than they’re expecting. Which is why getting a player of marners caliber would be great.
Saskleaf, gretzkyghosts, BigDaddyOvech and 1 other person liked this.
Oct. 26, 2021 at 9:50 a.m.
You do realize that Eichel is probably going to be trade for like Kaliev and a first rounder at this point, right? You aren't getting Byfield and Turcotte. Nobody wants Eichel.

nobody wants eichel? nobody wants to pay the crazy 4 first for him, but plenty of teams would want Eichel.
Saskleaf and gretzkyghosts liked this.
Oct. 26, 2021 at 9:51 a.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: habs_need_Scoring
nobody wants eichel? nobody wants to pay the crazy 4 first for him, but plenty of teams would want Eichel.

True, that was bad wording on my part. I agree.
Oct. 26, 2021 at 9:54 a.m.
Go leafs go
There’s going to be a point where the process is sped up quite a bit, and I think that’ll be when Eichel files a grievance.

I know this move doesn’t necessarily help either team but it’s a solution to a problem. Like you mentioned in another comment on here, Eichel has lost a ton of value being out as long as he’s been, still needing surgery and all the question marks around his recovery. Buffalo has seriously shot themselves in the foot with this situation. They’re going to have to settle for a bit less than they’re expecting. Which is why getting a player of marners caliber would be great.

Ya, I don't know a lot about that grievance but it certainly seems like a potential turning point.

And if Marner still sucks 5-10 games from now... maybe the leafs want to shake it up. It would be kind of like a PLD Laine situation.
gretzkyghosts and tsyls liked this.
Oct. 26, 2021 at 9:57 a.m.
both players have weak value at the moment, but I really dont think its in either teams interest to acquire those guys
Oct. 26, 2021 at 9:59 a.m.
Shibbal18
You do realize that Eichel is probably going to be trade for like Kaliev and a first rounder at this point, right? You aren't getting Byfield and Turcotte. Nobody wants to pay a lot for Eichel.

better than Marner, and Eichel will get more than that, there are at least 5 teams actively in on him
Oct. 26, 2021 at 10:02 a.m.
Marner isn't enough to land Eichel.
Even then, he shouldn't be overly of interest to the Sabres.
Oct. 26, 2021 at 10:04 a.m.
Ya, I don't know a lot about that grievance but it certainly seems like a potential turning point.

And if Marner still sucks 5-10 games from now... maybe the leafs want to shake it up. It would be kind of like a PLD Laine situation.

ya i think moving marner in a one for one with another player that brings his own drama isnt necessarily the best move. I would be looking to create a bit more depth with that move if you can bring in a solid top 6 winger and a solid top 4 dman, i think leafs could come out the other side more balanced and a better team.
Saskleaf liked this.
Oct. 26, 2021 at 10:06 a.m.
Save Ukrane, end war
better than Marner, and Eichel will get more than that, there are at least 5 teams actively in on him

The handling of Eichel and the complete lack of respect the ownership and GM seem to have for his treatment plan and his own body is disgusting. I hope the Sabres only get a bag of pucks back for him.
tsyls liked this.
Oct. 26, 2021 at 10:20 a.m.
Shibbal18
Quoting: BigDaddyOvech
The handling of Eichel and the complete lack of respect the ownership and GM seem to have for his treatment plan and his own body is disgusting. I hope the Sabres only get a bag of pucks back for him.

I agree that no one should have any say in what you do or inject in your body, other than yourself
BigDaddyOvech liked this.
Oct. 26, 2021 at 10:21 a.m.
The problem with Eichel is the fact that the treatment he wants stands a good chance of ending his career. You're paying for a 10 million on LTIR player who might be able to play again and insurance won't cover. The Leafs obviously won't care about what they have to pay him because to them it honestly doesn't matter. That being said LTIR isn't free money and it's better to have the cap space than LTIR so at this point if the Leafs are going to let him have the surgery meaning the Sabres would have to pay the Leafs to take him. It makes zero sense to pay assets for a player who very likely will never play another game.
Oct. 26, 2021 at 10:25 a.m.
I agree that no one should have any say in what you do or inject in your body, other than yourself

The issue is Eichel expecting a team to pay him after he get's a surgery doctors agree will likely end his career. Should he be able to get the surgery? Sure, he can. He just needs to breach the contract allowing the team to put him in noncompliance and nullify the contract. If he's out and can't play the team is off the hook. If he can play the team just says they are happy for him and life goes on. He wouldn't be the first player to be in noncompliance, and all it does is nullify the contract so the team doesn't have his cap hit on the roster.
Oct. 26, 2021 at 10:39 a.m.
Shibbal18
Quoting: Onslaught77
The issue is Eichel expecting a team to pay him after he get's a surgery doctors agree will likely end his career. Should he be able to get the surgery? Sure, he can. He just needs to breach the contract allowing the team to put him in noncompliance and nullify the contract. If he's out and can't play the team is off the hook. If he can play the team just says they are happy for him and life goes on. He wouldn't be the first player to be in noncompliance, and all it does is nullify the contract so the team doesn't have his cap hit on the roster.

Doctors dont agree it will likely end his career, what are you talking about
BigDaddyOvech liked this.
Oct. 26, 2021 at 11:20 a.m.

A fusion severely limits mobility and commits Eichel to many surgeries ahead of him. It would definitely affect his playing career, might not end it but he’d never be the same player. Talk to anyone who’s had a fusion and they’ll tell you how much it limits mobility.

I don’t get why they’re so hung up on the ADR. Eichel has multiple doctors and surgeons on his side saying it’s safe and effective. The Sabres are the laughing stock of the league right now. It’s absurd how they’re treating Eichel. Have fun getting players to come to Buffalo after this. They could’ve effectively ruined the entire franchise with how they’ve handled this.

Eichel should just be going and getting the surgery. Screw the contract and the team, go get the right surgery.
Oct. 26, 2021 at 11:34 a.m.
Shibbal18
A fusion severely limits mobility and commits Eichel to many surgeries ahead of him. It would definitely affect his playing career, might not end it but he’d never be the same player. Talk to anyone who’s had a fusion and they’ll tell you how much it limits mobility.

I don’t get why they’re so hung up on the ADR. Eichel has multiple doctors and surgeons on his side saying it’s safe and effective. The Sabres are the laughing stock of the league right now. It’s absurd how they’re treating Eichel. Have fun getting players to come to Buffalo after this. They could’ve effectively ruined the entire franchise with how they’ve handled this.

Eichel should just be going and getting the surgery. Screw the contract and the team, go get the right surgery.

Eichel isnt getting fusion, thats the hang up
tsyls liked this.
Oct. 26, 2021 at 11:39 a.m.
Eichel isnt getting fusion, thats the hang up

Is that not what the team doctors are recommending? I was under the impression that this whole thing started because he wanted the ADR but they wanted him to get the fusion.

What I’m saying is that it’s a joke that they’re trying to strong arm him into getting a fusion, which commits him to a lifetime of further surgeries and limits his mobility.

I think we’re both arguing the same point.
Oct. 26, 2021 at 12:25 p.m.
Quoting: Hammerwise
so the issue isn't the overly top heavy forward salary structure, its marner?

While I agree one of the big 3 contracts HAS TO GO, I dont think replacing it with another forward on a 10mil+ cap hit is the answer

I agree. I’m just not sure a deal for say a top 6 forward and top 4 d will be out there. Maybe it is. I would really like to know what offers were on the table for Marner this summer. Hopefully he picks it up or his trade value is going to nose dive.
Oct. 26, 2021 at 12:45 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Is that not what the team doctors are recommending? I was under the impression that this whole thing started because he wanted the ADR but they wanted him to get the fusion.

What I’m saying is that it’s a joke that they’re trying to strong arm him into getting a fusion, which commits him to a lifetime of further surgeries and limits his mobility.

I think we’re both arguing the same point.

Swore I read somewhere that it was Eichel that wanted the riskier surgery, who even knows anymore with this Sabres soap opera.. Lol
Oct. 26, 2021 at 1:04 p.m.
Quoting: MisstheWhalers
Swore I read somewhere that it was Eichel that wanted the riskier surgery, who even knows anymore with this Sabres soap opera.. Lol

In the eye of the Sabres the ADR that Eichel wants is the more risky surgery, because it’s never been done on a hockey player. But it’s been done on tons of athletes in much harder contact sports. Combat athletes have had this done before and their bodies go through a lot more wear and tear and they’ve been successful.

The Sabres want Eichel to get a fusion, a much less risky surgery, but also a worse potential outcome considering his mobility could be severely hindered and he’ll have to have multiple follow up surgeries later in life.
MisstheWhalers liked this.
Oct. 26, 2021 at 1:19 p.m.

They agree there is a significant risk it could. I've looked at the trial report. Athletes in high impact sports reported that they experienced significant issues that required them to avoid major impacts. That's not exactly possible with hockey. Not all doctors consider hockey a vital part of Eichels life.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll