Forums/Armchair-GM

Fire Dubas

Created by: Stabs32
Team: 2021-22 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 29, 2021
Published: Oct. 29, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Lets revisit Kyle Dubas transactions as GM, he dug a hole early by signing unproven players to mid term contracts pretty much the worst outcome, either sign for 8 or bridge, he choose otherwise...
Signed JT to an 11 mill aav, I like the signing not the cap hit but overall good signing
Traded away Matt Martin who remains in the league on a good team...
Waived 2 Goaltenders to make way for Sparks only to watch C Mac win a cup in Tampa
Botched the Nylander signing took way to long in the end a good signing
Traded for Muzzin, great trade
Signed AM34, while a no brainer Dubas got schooled. Sign to 8 year or hold to a bridge player has no leverage and he's never signing more then McDavid. Stupid precedent set for Marner.
Traded a 1st round pick and Marleau to save cap space, complete idiot.
Signed Kapp and Johnnson to decent deals could have squeezed them more
Resigned Marincin WTF
Signed Spezza, has turned out to be gold. Give all the credit here to spezza.
Traded away Zeitzev and Brown for nothing all because Dubas doesn't know hockey. How good would connor brown look now on our team and he would have signed a reasonable 8 year deal to stay a Leaf...
Trade away Kadri for Tyson Barrie and Kerfoot, this was the tipping point of Leaf failures
Leafs Sign Marner to the most ridiculous contract in Leaf history and then Dubas proclaims Marner will be Bronze statue one day...
Traded for Jack Campbell, looks like one of few good decisions.
Trade away Kapanen for nothing
Sign TJ Brodie as a FA looks like a good signing
Sign Zach Bogosian as FA was a great depth signing but let him walk after 1 year
Trade Johnnson for nothing
Spent the last part of last year forcing Sandin into the lineup to find out if he can replace Reilly, and continue to force him in the first Round Loss part due to his terrible play.
Traded big for Nick Foligno and well never know how that could have worked out
Trades
TOR
  1. Mangiapane, Andrew
  2. Monahan, Sean
  3. 2022 1st round pick (CGY)
  4. 2022 2nd round pick (FLA)
TOR
  1. 2022 2nd round pick (CBJ)
  2. 2022 4th round pick (TOR)
TOR
  1. Hyman, Zach ($1,100,000 retained)
Additional Details:
With proper cap management or balls to trade in the summer we could still have Hyman at a discount.
EDM
TOR
  1. Bogosian, Zach
Additional Details:
Should have resigned him even at a million only 31
TBL
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$79,390,949$0$400,000$2,109,051
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$4,400,000$4,400,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 7
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 3
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 3
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$2,425,000$2,425,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$6,375,000$6,375,000
C, LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW
UFA - 1
$950,000$950,000
LW
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C
UFA - 2
$900,000$900,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 3
$3,800,000$3,800,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 3
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,650,000$1,650,000
G
UFA - 1
Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
$850,000$850,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RD
RFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,645,000$1,645,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Oct. 29, 2021 at 1:45 p.m.
If Hyman was going to accept 4.4x7 he'd still be a Leaf
Oct. 29, 2021 at 1:48 p.m.
Let Him Cook
we traded kapanen for nothing?. pretty sure we got a 15# overall which could of been mercer. sandin for a second and a 4th .... im done here
Oct. 29, 2021 at 1:49 p.m.
im sorry but youre not very good at this armchair gm thing. yes trade away your best prospect for a 2nd and 4th LMAO
JAKE6 liked this.
Oct. 29, 2021 at 1:51 p.m.
Banned
people who dont have a clue what they are talking about and go on a rant thinking they do is hilarious
Mcdavidssocks, Barbs, Barilko14 and 2 others liked this.
Oct. 29, 2021 at 1:52 p.m.
Mcdavidssocks
Quoting: futureanybody
im sorry but youre not very good at this armchair gm thing. yes trade away your best prospect for a 2nd and 4th LMAO

is sandin even a prospect anymore? He played most of last year did he not? I don't watch leafs hockey so idk
Oct. 29, 2021 at 1:53 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
You seem to put a all the blame on Dubas. The Leaf executive team headed by Shanahan deserve blame for their poor contract negotiations. Sure I wish the Leafs could have kept Connor Brown. But he was the sweetener to rid themselves on Zaitsev and his long term contract....a Lou signing.
Kapanen wasn't traded for nothing. I'm glad the cap strapped Leafs got a 13th overall pick for him.
And please, it silly to say the Leafs let Bogosian walk. He was a UFA....it's a players' choice.
Oct. 29, 2021 at 1:54 p.m.
Mcdavidssocks
Hyman wanted out anyways. Dude even said the leafs would rather party than win. Hyman made a b line to edmonton straight away. He was never staying in Toronto no matter how much you leaf fans say he would. He wouldn't.
Oct. 29, 2021 at 1:56 p.m.
Bait Post Detector
So this is bait right guys?
Barilko14 liked this.
Oct. 29, 2021 at 1:56 p.m.
take your meds...

He's done a decent job. Not great, but decent. For me his biggest fault (if you can put it that way) is he put his faith in a young and uber talented core and it slapped him in the face so far. I don't fault him for having faith in the players you expect the team to have faith in. He'll probably pay with his job at seasons end if this team doesn't turn it around. And that's part of being a GM in this league.

Get over it. Find a hobby.
Oct. 29, 2021 at 1:59 p.m.
Leafs Sufferer
Sure, I'll bite.

- JT is a good signing, most UFA who sign the big deals as UFAs won't live up to their contracts late in their years. See Karlsson for example.
- Matt Martin, reason why NYI has had success? Sure....
- Mac was a backup for a cup winner, not a starter.
- Takes two sides to sign a contract, people love to focus on Dubas rather than Nylander. His contract is also fantastic.
- Magic man Lou gave Marleau that much money, Dubas needed room to sign guys who aren't geriatrics.
- Dubas got a 1st round pick bac for Kap, Johnsson is a non factor on a rebuilding team.
- Marincin at league minimum and played very little with the big club, huge L for Dubas there....
- Offloaded a long term contract in Zaitsev, sometimes you need to pay to do so.
- Avs trade was decent at the time, didn't work out in the long run. It happens. TOR needed a RHD, Barrie had success in COL and it didn't translate here, it happens.
- Bogo literally came out and said he didn't want to play in Canada because of the restrictions, is Dubas supposed to handcuff him to the arena?
- Got a younger player cheap and with term for Johnsson, who again is a non factor on a rebuilding team.
- Massive reach on Sandin, maybe give him a full season before coming to these types of conclusions.
- Teams pay big for rentals, Foligno ended up being hurt and it didn't work out. AGAIN, it happens.
VancLOSERCaSUCKS and Barilko14 liked this.
Oct. 29, 2021 at 1:59 p.m.
Quoting: palhal
You seem to put a all the blame on Dubas. The Leaf executive team headed by Shanahan deserve blame for their poor contract negotiations. Sure I wish the Leafs could have kept Connor Brown. But he was the sweetener to rid themselves on Zaitsev and his long term contract....a Lou signing.
Kapanen wasn't traded for nothing. I'm glad the cap strapped Leafs got a 13th overall pick for him.
And please, it silly to say the Leafs let Bogosian walk. He was a UFA....it's a players' choice.

I mean the most of the issues they had in the playoffs and this year are on the core. AM and MM disappeared last year and the year prior when it counted most. Do I think they should be traded? Maybe Marner, but I doubt you get anything close to his value. Trading superstar players like Matthews will only hurt you.
palhal liked this.
Oct. 29, 2021 at 2:00 p.m.
Richie
LOL you're a troll. Marner for garbage and Sandin for a 2nd and 4th.

Being a GM is easier said than done. Dubas definitely could have handled things better but you're just ignoring some facts. Matthews wanted 8 years but the cap hit goes up when you're buying more UFA years. Leafs couldn't afford to do that given how team is currently constructed

Marleau was signed by Lou so how can you blame Dubas for having to get rid of his bad contract? Zeitsev was also bad contract signed by Lou and Connor Brown was included so Sens would take the contract. Was also getting no mins with Marner, Nylander, Kapanen playing RW

Kapanen was traded for a 2nd round prospect and a top 15 pick in a deep draft. Certainly not nothing as you say

Only bad trades by Dubas IMO were Kadri trade (which another deal was in place before but got vetoed by Kadri) and Folingo trade which would have looked fine if he didn't get hurt
Oct. 29, 2021 at 2:07 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: tony135420
I mean the most of the issues they had in the playoffs and this year are on the core. AM and MM disappeared last year and the year prior when it counted most. Do I think they should be traded? Maybe Marner, but I doubt you get anything close to his value. Trading superstar players like Matthews will only hurt you.

I'm constantly amazed that so many Leaf fans blame Mikheyev, Kerfoot, Engvall Holl and Dermot,,,,a 1.9m average for all the Leafs misfortunes. Leafs have really tied themselves to now five players making 48m so the team is so dependent on others playing above their contract.
I floated the idea of leaving Marner exposed by Leafs and have Seattle select him in the draft. Maybe just maybe the Leafs could have spent 11m better for the remaining four years of his contract.
tony135420 liked this.
Oct. 29, 2021 at 2:10 p.m.
Still a Leafs Fan
Critiquing whatever this jumbo was:

Lets revisit Kyle Dubas transactions as GM, he dug a hole early by signing unproven players to mid term contracts pretty much the worst outcome, either sign for 8 or bridge, he choose otherwise... Most signings were excellent signings. Marner only one that could have been done at a lower AAV or longer term

Signed JT to an 11 mill aav, I like the signing not the cap hit but overall good signing ... Free agent premium Signings of course its going to be above cap

Traded away Matt Martin who remains in the league on a good team... No way you suppor this signing brudda..

Waived 2 Goaltenders to make way for Sparks only to watch C Mac win a cup in Tampa ... Fluke as Mc outperformed and Sparks unfortuante with bad luck

Botched the Nylander signing took way to long in the end a good signing ... Great signing but could have been done earlier

Traded for Muzzin, great trade

Signed AM34, while a no brainer Dubas got schooled. Sign to 8 year or hold to a bridge player has no leverage and he's never signing more then McDavid. Stupid precedent set for Marner. Done before offseason and eliminated risk of offersheet

Traded a 1st round pick and Marleau to save cap space, complete idiot. ... Agree dubas worse move

Signed Kapp and Johnnson to decent deals could have squeezed them more

Resigned Marincin WTF... whatever

Signed Spezza, has turned out to be gold. Give all the credit here to spezza.

Traded away Zeitzev and Brown for nothing all because Dubas doesn't know hockey. How good would connor brown look now on our team and he would have signed a reasonable 8 year deal to stay a Leaf... Zaitsev was the wrose contract in the league you pig it the ask to get rid of him would have been so much worse.

Trade away Kadri for Tyson Barrie and Kerfoot, this was the tipping point of Leaf failures... Good trade at the time and kadri time was up due to playoff blunders.. Barrie jsut didnt work out

Leafs Sign Marner to the most ridiculous contract in Leaf history and then Dubas proclaims Marner will be Bronze statue one day...wont even get into it

Traded for Jack Campbell, looks like one of few good decisions.

Trade away Kapanen for nothing ... farted at the fact that you think the return is nothing...

Sign TJ Brodie as a FA looks like a good signing

Sign Zach Bogosian as FA was a great depth signing but let him walk after 1 year ... bogosian had no part in returning to play in canada as he came out and said.

Trade Johnnson for nothing... hes very poor

Spent the last part of last year forcing Sandin into the lineup to find out if he can replace Reilly, and continue to force him in the first Round Loss part due to his terrible play... huh?

Traded big for Nick Foligno and well never know how that could have worked out

Overall... you might be the biggest R on the platform G
Oct. 29, 2021 at 2:13 p.m.
retired
Quoting: Jakeixdeep
we traded kapanen for nothing?. pretty sure we got a 15# overall which could of been mercer. sandin for a second and a 4th .... im done here

Quoting: futureanybody

all jake bean got was a 2nd. seems pretty comparable.
Oct. 29, 2021 at 2:23 p.m.
In Pridham we trust
I'm constantly amazed that so many Leaf fans blame Mikheyev, Kerfoot, Engvall Holl and Dermot,,,,a 1.9m average for all the Leafs misfortunes. Leafs have really tied themselves to now five players making 48m so the team is so dependent on others playing above their contract.
I floated the idea of leaving Marner exposed by Leafs and have Seattle select him in the draft. Maybe just maybe the Leafs could have spent 11m better for the remaining four years of his contract.

You hate other teams players, you are always saying the grass is greener on every Leaf trade proposed on here, but your deadset on a couple $5M of 27/28/29 year old UFAs >>> 24 yo top 20 player in the league. I don't get it.

Personally I'll take Marner at $11M over Hyman + granlund or something along those lines.

2 yrs from now Granlund's a 32 pt player and Hyman can't play a whole season, while Marner is top 5 in scoring again.
Oct. 29, 2021 at 2:46 p.m.

Leaving Marner exposed would have been a bad move. He's still a top 5 winger in this league. He's just having a tough year. I think he would be much better off on a team that doesn't have the coverage the Leafs do. But I fully agree there's entirely too much riding on a small group of players. The core 5 make or break this team. There's no depth to make up for the ebs and flows a player goes through in season.
Oct. 29, 2021 at 5:06 p.m.
Awful trade for Calgary
Oct. 29, 2021 at 5:09 p.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: Yari
So this is bait right guys?

Worried if it's genuine.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll