Forums/Armchair-GM

Trade Deadline Moves

Created by: hanson493
Team: 2021-22 Boston Bruins
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 29, 2021
Published: Oct. 29, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Obviously the 2 biggest names but I got tired of seeing lazy trades where boston gets bent to acquire someone who isnt worth it or isnt giving fair value for others. looking at all past trade deadline deals where moves were made for certain players these are the rough packages that would be sent for expiring players at the deadline.

Please note these moves would be made based on accrued space at the deadline. there may have to be cap clearing trades done i dont know the nitty gritty of daily accruable cap space and the nuances behind it.

Lastly I know this wont get read, but if you have other 2c or 1LD suggestions. on who the bruins would realistically target post in comments. I could see a minor package similar to what carter got last year for getzlaf. or maybe a chris tierney is available for rental. In terms of dmen Gio/Leddy/Lindholm are my top 3 targets for that position.
Trades
SJS
  1. Lauko, Jakub
  2. 2022 2nd round pick (BOS)
Additional Details:
maybe a first depends on where his play is at heading into the deadline. 50 or so points will really only return this as a rental. not much more.
ANA
  1. Senyshyn, Zach
  2. Vaakanainen, Urho
  3. 2023 1st round pick (BOS)
Additional Details:
probably be something like this. depends on lindholms injurys this year and how he looks production wise.

Boston would ideally be looking more for a true 2 way top pair dman.
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$87,313,452$1,956,507$125,000-$5,813,452
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$6,125,000$6,125,000
LW
NMC
UFA - 4
$6,875,000$6,875,000
C
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$6,666,667$6,666,667
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW
NMC
UFA - 4
Logo of the San Jose Sharks
$5,625,000$5,625,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$3,100,000$3,100,000
RW
UFA - 2
$3,675,000$3,675,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$2,375,000$2,375,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C, RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 5
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$2,602,778$2,602,778
LD
UFA - 1
$4,900,000$4,900,000
RD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
NMC
UFA - 4
$3,687,500$3,687,500
LD
UFA - 3
$4,100,000$4,100,000
RD
UFA - 6
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$125,000$125K)
G
RFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,050,000$1,050,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$3,800,000$3,800,000
LW, C, RW
NMC
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Oct. 29, 2021 at 2:29 p.m.
I wouldnt even take this if we were going to lose Hertl for free. Awful value
FunMustBeAlways liked this.
Oct. 29, 2021 at 2:33 p.m.
Not anywhere close for Hertl. “Tired of seeing trades where Boston gets bent” if you don’t want to pay the proper price for Hertl trade for someone else. You don’t get a teams best player, on the last year of his deal or not, for this weak package.
Oct. 29, 2021 at 2:34 p.m.
Quoting: papishark
I wouldnt even take this if we were going to lose Hertl for free. Awful value

all the main guys last year went for a 1st and a conditional pick. ide assume thats the same for hertl fwiw. but it will come down to overall play. if he continues his pace based on these 7 games hes projecting: 35 points over an 82 game season. 23 goals and 12 assists. I said asset return is based on play.
Oct. 29, 2021 at 2:36 p.m.
Quoting: hanson493
all the main guys last year went for a 1st and a conditional pick. ide assume thats the same for hertl fwiw. but it will come down to overall play. if he continues his pace based on these 7 games hes projecting: 35 points over an 82 game season. 23 goals and 12 assists. I said asset return is based on play.

You just going to ignore the .86 ppg pace he’s been on over the last two seasons?
Oct. 29, 2021 at 2:41 p.m.
Quoting: glarson17
Not anywhere close for Hertl. “Tired of seeing trades where Boston gets bent” if you don’t want to pay the proper price for Hertl trade for someone else. You don’t get a teams best player, on the last year of his deal or not, for this weak package.

teams best player? will he command more than above probably. based on play right now. no. he needs to pick it up to get more than that, and im not sure he will based on the team around him. SJS is in for a rough few years while they get out from under their bloated contracts. they should hold out for maximum value on hertl. They have to trade him though for the long term betterment of the franchise. but this is way way closer than seeing trades like debrusk moore and 2 firsts for hertl as a rental. it just wont happen.
Oct. 29, 2021 at 2:46 p.m.
teams best player? will he command more than above probably. based on play right now. no. he needs to pick it up to get more than that, and im not sure he will based on the team around him. SJS is in for a rough few years while they get out from under their bloated contracts. they should hold out for maximum value on hertl. They have to trade him though for the long term betterment of the franchise. but this is way way closer than seeing trades like debrusk moore and 2 firsts for hertl as a rental. it just wont happen.

It’s only 7 games into the season and Hertl could easily have 5 more points. He is the best player on the team and teams don’t make trades solely based on right now. He’s been a .86 ppg pace over the past two season will being hurt and getting covid.

Rasmus Ristolainen got a 1st (14th overall), 2nd and a defenseman while on the last year of his contract. Christian Dvorak just got a 1st and a 2nd and he’s never scored over 40 points in a season. Hertl, if traded, will bring more than Dvorak, certainly will bring back more than a lower prospect and late 2nd.
Oct. 29, 2021 at 2:46 p.m.
You just going to ignore the .86 ppg pace he’s been on over the last two seasons?

yeah. trade returns are what have you done lately. not what have you done past 2 years. contract negotiations take that into account. if hes on the same pace by trade deadline i wouldnt expect a high command on a return simply due to a down year. imo look at how everyone values debrusk after 1 down year. 3 straight 40+ point pace years then 1 down year and hes a dump.
Oct. 29, 2021 at 2:49 p.m.
yeah. trade returns are what have you done lately. not what have you done past 2 years. contract negotiations take that into account. if hes on the same pace by trade deadline i wouldnt expect a high command on a return simply due to a down year. imo look at how everyone values debrusk after 1 down year. 3 straight 40+ point pace years then 1 down year and hes a dump.

DeBrusk is not Hertl. My gosh, this thread is the perfect example of being a homer
It’s only 7 games into the season and Hertl could easily have 5 more points. He is the best player on the team and teams don’t make trades solely based on right now. He’s been a .86 ppg pace over the past two season will being hurt and getting covid.

Rasmus Ristolainen got a 1st (14th overall), 2nd and a defenseman while on the last year of his contract. Christian Dvorak just got a 1st and a 2nd and he’s never scored over 40 points in a season. Hertl, if traded, will bring more than Dvorak, certainly will bring back more than a lower prospect and late 2nd.

dvorak is signed for 3 more years beyond this year. he isnt a rental. rentals dont cost that much. the highest price on a rental last year was a 1st and a conditional 3rd. for palms and zacha. or a 1st and a 4th for foligno (laughable deal for toronto they got burned so hard there.) I fully expect hertl gets more. i literally said so in the trade it depends on production. but you arent getting more than what the habs sent for dvorak. even if hertls better.
DeBrusk is not Hertl. My gosh, this thread is the perfect example of being a homer

omg are you that dense its an analogy.
Oct. 29, 2021 at 2:55 p.m.

Also note these moves both happened in the offseason when cap space isnt a luxury and teams were building their roster for the whole year. not ~ 20 games. that also ups the price on returns. tdl deals are typically significantly less than what the player may have returned in the offseason. you should know this. look at the erik karlsson deal that went down.
Oct. 29, 2021 at 2:55 p.m.
VGKNation702
Maybe a first? Lol that package is terrible for Hertl
hanson493 liked this.
Oct. 29, 2021 at 2:57 p.m.
Quoting: VGKNation702

yeah maybe, depends on production. right now. doesnt project well. by mid season his value will likely rise. itll probably end up being a 1st and a 3rd/equivalent prospect for hertl.
Oct. 29, 2021 at 3:24 p.m.
Also note these moves both happened in the offseason when cap space isnt a luxury and teams were building their roster for the whole year. not ~ 20 games. that also ups the price on returns. tdl deals are typically significantly less than what the player may have returned in the offseason. you should know this. look at the erik karlsson deal that went down.

I disagree with that statement, teams will typically overspend at the deadline in hopes it wins them the cup. Karlsson would have gotten way more at the deadline than he did. just look at the last 3 TDL where guys like Goodrow returned a 1st, (good player but was he worth a 1st, no) there are a dozen deals like this over thee last 3 years alone.
Oct. 29, 2021 at 3:40 p.m.
Quoting: Rob32sjsharks
I disagree with that statement, teams will typically overspend at the deadline in hopes it wins them the cup. Karlsson would have gotten way more at the deadline than he did. just look at the last 3 TDL where guys like Goodrow returned a 1st, (good player but was he worth a 1st, no) there are a dozen deals like this over thee last 3 years alone.

karlsson would have gone for less at the deadline. you already didnt give up a boatload at the time for what was a norris dman.

there have been a few questionable returns on players. goodrow is one of them. but goodrow wasnt a rental, coleman wasnt a rental. most trades with guys on more than a year get a little more back because they have the next year too. rentals sometimes go for an overpay. but its not typical in the market. its also very very rare to see really high quality players move at the tdl. see Mark Stone trade.
Oct. 29, 2021 at 3:42 p.m.
To some extent you DO trade for what a player has done recently, especially when you are talking about a rental from a bottom half of the league team. Hertl has been very good the last two years and is off to a pretty meh start to this season but will pick up and you'll have to pay more for him. If everyone used your logic Marner would be worth Connor Clifton and a 4th because he is only on pace for 20 points...
glarson17 liked this.
Oct. 29, 2021 at 3:51 p.m.
Quoting: JNoons13
To some extent you DO trade for what a player has done recently, especially when you are talking about a rental from a bottom half of the league team. Hertl has been very good the last two years and is off to a pretty meh start to this season but will pick up and you'll have to pay more for him. If everyone used your logic Marner would be worth Connor Clifton and a 4th because he is only on pace for 20 points...

nah cuz marner is signed long term. you guys are severely discounting the notion of long term assets vs rentals. the price ive seen from many many sharks fans is consistent with what he would cost on a long term deal. youre getting a player for ~ 20 games + playoffs. if theres an extension worked into the mix then sure pay up. rentals just dont cost that much.

I.e. matt duchene for a 1st round pick, abramov (2016 3rd round pick), johnathan davidsson (2017 6th rounder), conditional first if he resigns (cba forbids that now) he had 58 in 50 the year he was traded to columbus. guys at the deadline dont get a significant amount. i could see a 1st and lauko+steen but its not gunna be much more than that. maybe ill eat my words and you guys will be right but i dont see it. especially with recent history.
Oct. 29, 2021 at 3:59 p.m.
karlsson would have gone for less at the deadline. you already didnt give up a boatload at the time for what was a norris dman.

there have been a few questionable returns on players. goodrow is one of them. but goodrow wasnt a rental, coleman wasnt a rental. most trades with guys on more than a year get a little more back because they have the next year too. rentals sometimes go for an overpay. but its not typical in the market. its also very very rare to see really high quality players move at the tdl. see Mark Stone trade.

You can’t say Hertl is only a “what have you done for me lately” and then reference that Karlsson was a Norris trophy winner when he won it years prior to the trade to San Jose. Can’t have it both ways when it only fits your beliefs.
Oct. 29, 2021 at 4:00 p.m.
nah cuz marner is signed long term. you guys are severely discounting the notion of long term assets vs rentals. the price ive seen from many many sharks fans is consistent with what he would cost on a long term deal. youre getting a player for ~ 20 games + playoffs. if theres an extension worked into the mix then sure pay up. rentals just dont cost that much.

I.e. matt duchene for a 1st round pick, abramov (2016 3rd round pick), johnathan davidsson (2017 6th rounder), conditional first if he resigns (cba forbids that now) he had 58 in 50 the year he was traded to columbus. guys at the deadline dont get a significant amount. i could see a 1st and lauko+steen but its not gunna be much more than that. maybe ill eat my words and you guys will be right but i dont see it. especially with recent history.

Marner is signed long term at a very high cost. Just because he’s signed doesn’t automatically make him more valuable. It would be better if he wasn’t signed long term because he wouldn’t be making as much money on a new contract.
Oct. 29, 2021 at 4:22 p.m.
Marner is signed long term at a very high cost. Just because he’s signed doesn’t automatically make him more valuable. It would be better if he wasn’t signed long term because he wouldn’t be making as much money on a new contract.

it doesnt heighten his value but you arent only getting one year of him either. youre trading for his entire youth/prime. which even at his cap hit is still valuable.
Oct. 29, 2021 at 4:24 p.m.
You can’t say Hertl is only a “what have you done for me lately” and then reference that Karlsson was a Norris trophy winner when he won it years prior to the trade to San Jose. Can’t have it both ways when it only fits your beliefs.

yeah he won a norris hense norris dman. he was still a norris candidate when he got traded was he not?
BsInOttawa liked this.
Oct. 29, 2021 at 4:52 p.m.
yeah he won a norris hense norris dman. he was still a norris candidate when he got traded was he not?

after fact checking... 12th in voting was traded in offseason where prior season he had 62 points as a dman. still pretty good. like i said with hertl im projecting based on the 7 games. i do expect that to change like ive continually said but based on current projections this is what i expect. if he turns it around hes going to command more pretty obvious. i dont think the bruins should pay up beyond that price for the spot though. if its clear that hertl is the only guy available for a 2c role and the team is clearly lacking that at the deadline then paying up makes sense. i already see a major hole at left d so paying for both spots to go all in wont really be feasible.
Oct. 29, 2021 at 6:11 p.m.

Quoting: VGKNation702

HAHAHA this is by far the WORST argument on this site. It's "what have you done lately"... 153 points in 175 games in the last 3 seasons while playing a great two-way game but no, he's right. Let's put all the weight on the first 7 games of the season. 35 points in 82 games, a PPG total he has surpassed every year since his rookie year. This is such a terrible take holy.
glarson17 liked this.
Oct. 29, 2021 at 6:17 p.m.
Bad Take Bot v1.02
LOL because of the first 6 games of the season, Hertl is suddenly worth a fraction of what he would get 2 weeks ago.
Oct. 29, 2021 at 6:32 p.m.
Quoting: QualityTrades1
HAHAHA this is by far the WORST argument on this site. It's "what have you done lately"... 153 points in 175 games in the last 3 seasons while playing a great two-way game but no, he's right. Let's put all the weight on the first 7 games of the season. 35 points in 82 games, a PPG total he has surpassed every year since his rookie year. This is such a terrible take holy.

THANK YOU, someone sane!
QualityTrades1 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll