re-tool re-stock compete price retires

Created by: Drakin1978
Team: 2021-22 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 30, 2021
Published: Oct. 30, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
just feels like he is going to retire.

please add something positive not the standard troll . "decline" "hang up" please add reasons and if there would be a deal to make and how
Trades
TOR
  1. Lehkonen, Artturi
  2. 2022 4th round pick (TBL)
Additional Details:
use lehkonen this year he is better defensively, a step down offensive ly but contract ends this year and you can decide what to do at that point. If i was the leafs i would take a roster player on an expiring contract over just a pick. If its just a pick it will most likely be a third. Please discuss if im not close
CHI
  1. Poehling, Ryan
  2. 2022 3rd round pick (CAR)
  3. 2023 3rd round pick (MTL)
MTL
  1. 2023 4th round pick (OTT)
OTT
  1. Byron, Paul
Additional Details:
not a cap dump, a versatile forward that has speed , can play up and down the lineup and play two ways
MTL
  1. Bellows, Kieffer
  2. 2023 4th round pick (NYI)
NYI
  1. Chiarot, Ben ($1,500,000 retained)
LAK
  1. Kulak, Brett
  2. 2022 3rd round pick (MTL)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$62,996,202$597,561$1,475,000$18,503,798
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,450,000$4,450,000
C
UFA - 4
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 6
$2,125,000$2,125,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$537,500$538K)
C
UFA - 1
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 6
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW
UFA - 3
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C
UFA - 1
$880,833$880,833 (Performance Bonus$300,000$300K)
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$950,000$950,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 1
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 2
$3,400,000$3,400,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$950,000$950,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$875,000$875,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$2,343,750$2,343,750
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
$2,875,000$2,875,000
G
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$637,500$638K)
LD
RFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RD
UFA - 4
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
$3,333,225$3,333,225
LD
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$7,857,143$7,857,143
RD
UFA - 5
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 5

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Oct. 30, 2021 at 6:04 p.m.
aecliptic
Krav for a 3rd is laughable.
Riley816 liked this.
Oct. 30, 2021 at 6:13 p.m.
Quoting: aecliptic

do you have anything of value to add to a discussion or just the useless comment? what do you think ny is looking for? What do you think they will get as a return?
Oct. 30, 2021 at 6:17 p.m.
Quoting: Drakin1978
do you have anything of value to add to a discussion or just the useless comment? what do you think ny is looking for? What do you think they will get as a return?

allegedly they're looking for value equivalent to a first round pick or top six forward. i guess they have no reason to trade him until they get it? but i doubt anyone will offer that. my guess is they use him as part of a package for another player.
Drakin1978 and Billy739 liked this.
Oct. 30, 2021 at 6:18 p.m.
Nuck Fan
Price might LTIRetire but I doubt he outright retires with that much money on the table.

As far as the deals go:

I would think Krav is worth at least a second but it's hard to say based on his treatment in NY.

The package for Strome seems light but also Colliton seems to have it out for him.

Byron seems like an ok deal, maybe to Arizona instead because Melnyk is cheap.
Drakin1978 liked this.
Oct. 30, 2021 at 6:18 p.m.
Quoting: bagelbob
allegedly they're looking for value equivalent to a first round pick or top six forward. i guess they have no reason to trade him until they get it? but i doubt anyone will offer that. my guess is they use him as part of a package for another player.

fair , thank you for the feed back i will adjust
Oct. 30, 2021 at 6:20 p.m.
Quoting: ragger_lord
Price might LTIRetire but I doubt he outright retires with that much money on the table.

As far as the deals go:

I would think Krav is worth at least a second but it's hard to say based on his treatment in NY.

The package for Strome seems light but also Colliton seems to have it out for him.

thanks for the input
ragger_lord liked this.
Oct. 30, 2021 at 6:24 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
If Byron is so valuable as you indicate in your narrative , why would the Habs trade him for so little. 3.4m is too high for 3rd/4th liner winger.
Leafs need the security of Kerfoot at centre, not another winger, though your logic in your narrative makes sense.
DarcyTucker and TheBoyDuddus liked this.
Oct. 30, 2021 at 6:25 p.m.

As far as the deals go:

i hope he doesnt but I just feel the last playoff run and defeat took so much out of him, I feel like he is losing the desire.

Arizona or Ottawa. I live in ottawa and know he could help make their team better. I deleted the Krav deal I would do a second but a previous poster said they are looking for 1st equivalent and I'm not sure I would do that for unproven player.

Strome only has a year left so i dont want to give up too much and i seen anywhere from a 2nd and 3rd to 3rd and 4th. so thats how i came up with my offer
Oct. 30, 2021 at 6:44 p.m.
Quoting: palhal
If Byron is so valuable as you indicate in your narrative , why would the Habs trade him for so little. 3.4m is too high for 3rd/4th liner winger.
Leafs need the security of Kerfoot at centre, not another winger, though your logic in your narrative makes sense.

I think those are referring to two different parts.

Im not saying byron is super valuable. I am saying he has the versatility a young team needs to play all over in all situations. Do i think we could get more? Maybe but if its a 3rd or 4th the probability of those picks making it to the nhl are 22% for a 4th and 27% for a 3rd so why squabble over 5% when the deal helps both teams and asking for the 4th makes it more attractive

there were better options for a 3rd/4th line center out there that i might have targeted but i looked at whole situations of both teams I did the kerfoot trade to help the habs if strome didnt re-sign. I thought with ritchie being able to play up and down the lineup, kamph looking real good at center in the 3c spot engvaile, rithie and lehkonen could play any spot on the left side from the 2nd line down depending on the need. I felt as versatile as Kerfoot is next year the leafs have to make some tough decisions with that big contract coming in. 2.5 mil increase to him alone is kase and engvail expiring contracts (need to replace them as roster players or keep them but still need to pay someone) campbell (need to resign, probably needs a raise to 2mil ish or let him walk and save 900 k), sandin (resign ,needs a raise ??? how much that will cost) spezza prob stays for another minimum deal or he can be replaced by some other vet. I thought the 3.5 mil was the best option and you would still get a player that makes you more defensively sound this year and his contract situation helps with the issues the leafs will face next offseason.
Oct. 30, 2021 at 6:45 p.m.
Billy739

He wont
That would put in Jeopardy his Signing Bonus's
He'd be giving up 24.25m in Signing Bonus's if he retires

I just cant see that happening
Of the 96m he's earned in his career thus far
He has 45/45m he has made in Signing Bonus's the past 4 years
Not including the additional 7m he earned in that 4 years or
The previous 44m he had earned before this contract

That tells me if he retired today spending like he does now he'd no longer be a millionaire within 5 years
That's assuming he doesnt find another Business or Career and just lives off his Hockey Salary like a lot of Retired NHL players have.

My Point is i just cant see it making Sense Financially after arguing to get that Contract which was 80% Signing Bonus's seeing him as probably
The highest paid player in the Pandemic as a result. You dont just walk away from an Ironclad NMC with that % of Bonus money whether you start,are benched or buried.
If it was a standard Contract sure maybe.
But you dont twist ownerships arm like that for a deal just to walk away from it.(if they did PK Subban would be retired by now)
Oct. 30, 2021 at 6:48 p.m.
Quoting: Billy739
He wont
That would put in Jeopardy his Signing Bonus's
He'd be giving up 24.25m in Signing Bonus's if he retires

I just cant see that happening
Of the 96m he's earned in his career thus far
He has 45/45m he has made in Signing Bonus's the past 4 years
Not including the additional 7m he earned in that 4 years or
The previous 44m he had earned before this contract

That tells me if he retired today spending like he does now he'd no longer be a millionaire within 5 years
That's assuming he doesnt find another Business or Career and just lives off his Hockey Salary like a lot of Retired NHL players have.

My Point is i just cant see it making Sense Financially after arguing to get that Contract which was 80% Signing Bonus's seeing him as probably
The highest paid player in the Pandemic as a result. You dont just walk away from an Ironclad NMC with that % of Bonus money whether you start,are benched or buried.
If it was a standard Contract sure maybe.
But you dont twist ownerships arm like that for a deal just to walk away from it.(if they did PK Subban would be retired by now)

very valid statements i like your facts. Do you see him as a forever LTIR guy and the insurance pays for it? So he could essentially retire without retiring. Do get me wrong i love the guy and hope he doesn't
Oct. 30, 2021 at 7:26 p.m.

Byron, passed thru waivers 3,trois, times not being a cap dump and getting back a 4th makes it more laughable.....
Oct. 30, 2021 at 7:32 p.m.
Billy739
very valid statements i like your facts. Do you see him as a forever LTIR guy and the insurance pays for it? So he could essentially retire without retiring. Do get me wrong i love the guy and hope he doesn't

That could be a possiblity 100%
It all depends on if the league allows it
If they do , who wouldnt honestly as you can always opt out of retirement on the same deal without a pay decrease really(well much of one )
They made NYI Eat Dipietro's contract until they were forced to Buy him out
They dont like teams giving out big contracts its bad for the league.

Bettmans NHL is alot like his NBA model was.
He wanted to end the days of players retiring with their draft teams.
Free Agency and changes of scenary create nothing but positive from his NHL's POV.

They were concerned whether or not the NHL was going to let Weber go on LTIR this year for the same reason.
They dont aim to reward teams or players for making these deals that 9/10 dont end with the player finishing his contract with the team they signed with anyways.

That said hypothetically barring the NHL Self Interest it is possible.
I just dont see Price doing it though
Not only is his life in MTL but so is his Wife's entire business and livlihood.
A Fashion Designer leaving MTL is a step down unless you're moving to New York or out of North America
So its safe to assume his Wife and Kids wont be relocating if he does retire anyways

There's a lot of Variable for why he'd want to Retire
I just dont think they hold up under further observation for rather simplistic Human reason
I mean he could retire but whats the motivation?

Pro Retire:
Time off
Ability to be in BC more

Con Retire:
Forfeit 24.25m in bonus's alone you'd get for just showing up to Training camp and giving a doctors note after Pre season ends
His Wife's entire Business is built in MTL so they'll still be traveling and living there same as now unless she gives up her dream or stifles it moving to a market that isnt known for Fashion.
You only got about 5 years of Revenue at the pace you spend
Your ability to continue to Break historic Records on a Historic Franchise ends

I just dont see Price being Mentally ready to let go
If this was a question of Physical ability or injury i think there's no doubt it change's everything.
But this seems to be from seeing a Rejuvenated Drouin and realizing he shared similar symptoms despite being a master as managing them.
I think right now he's figuring out how to Adapt and Adjust because he seems to take great pride in making history as a Native and a Canadian helping bridge the divide
Drakin1978 liked this.
Oct. 30, 2021 at 7:40 p.m.
That could be a possiblity 100%
It all depends on if the league allows it
If they do , who wouldnt honestly as you can always opt out of retirement on the same deal without a pay decrease really(well much of one )
They made NYI Eat Dipietro's contract until they were forced to Buy him out
They dont like teams giving out big contracts its bad for the league.

Bettmans NHL is alot like his NBA model was.
He wanted to end the days of players retiring with their draft teams.
Free Agency and changes of scenary create nothing but positive from his NHL's POV.

They were concerned whether or not the NHL was going to let Weber go on LTIR this year for the same reason.
They dont aim to reward teams or players for making these deals that 9/10 dont end with the player finishing his contract with the team they signed with anyways.

That said hypothetically barring the NHL Self Interest it is possible.
I just dont see Price doing it though
Not only is his life in MTL but so is his Wife's entire business and livlihood.
A Fashion Designer leaving MTL is a step down unless you're moving to New York or out of North America
So its safe to assume his Wife and Kids wont be relocating if he does retire anyways

There's a lot of Variable for why he'd want to Retire
I just dont think they hold up under further observation for rather simplistic Human reason
I mean he could retire but whats the motivation?

Pro Retire:
Time off
Ability to be in BC more

Con Retire:
Forfeit 24.25m in bonus's alone you'd get for just showing up to Training camp and giving a doctors note after Pre season ends
His Wife's entire Business is built in MTL so they'll still be traveling and living there same as now unless she gives up her dream or stifles it moving to a market that isnt known for Fashion.
You only got about 5 years of Revenue at the pace you spend
Your ability to continue to Break historic Records on a Historic Franchise ends

I just dont see Price being Mentally ready to let go
If this was a question of Physical ability or injury i think there's no doubt it change's everything.
But this seems to be from seeing a Rejuvenated Drouin and realizing he shared similar symptoms despite being a master as managing them.
I think right now he's figuring out how to Adapt and Adjust because he seems to take great pride in making history as a Native and a Canadian helping bridge the divide

thanks its nice to get informed with good conversation vs most of the stuff you find on here lol
Billy739 liked this.
Oct. 30, 2021 at 7:45 p.m.
Quoting: Riley816
Byron, passed thru waivers 3,trois, times not being a cap dump and getting back a 4th makes it more laughable.....

Teams needs change and players values to said teams change. There is no point explaining when ignorant people just use the forum to try and knock everyone ideas down without adding any value to the conversation
so its easy for your scenario, then we keep him, no big deal, your input added nothing to the conversation and was useless. Next time don't bother offering up your opinion if you have anything of value. Thanks for helping find the trolls to block
Billy739 liked this.
Oct. 30, 2021 at 7:46 p.m.
sensonfire
Last season, Paul Byron was placed on waivers 3 times.

He went unclaimed all 3 times.

Also, he's a patient on LTIR right now.

If you want Ottawa to take Byron, you will be paying draft picks instead of receiving them.

Ottawa declines.
Billy739 and Xspyrit liked this.
Oct. 30, 2021 at 7:50 p.m.
Billy739
Quoting: Riley816

He also Lead the NHL's best PK a HUGE factor in why MTL a nobody underdog team went to the Stanley Cup Final.
Without his Unit and without his Short handed offense with Armia and others
MTL doesnt make the playoffs , make it out of Toronto , Hold off WPG before their top Center got back from suspension , Takeout Paciorettys team or make the SCF
Sure they didnt do much in the SCF but really who did. They did hold it off from being an absolute Slaughter like it could of been with all the PP we gave them.

My Point is before last year Byron was a bottom 6 Depth guy who never really did much in the playoffs.
Last year he put up 6 points including a SH GWG with 66 hits ,15 blocked shots and my favorite stat he was on ice for 14 goals in those 22 playoff games.
His contract is also now just a year after this one where as when we waived him last year it was a 3 season commitment starting from the minute they claimed him
The Player isnt whats scary, even the cap cant be rationalized but Term ends conversations a lot of time.

I mean look at Perry who was i think MTL's 5th best producer in the playoffs.
All he wanted was 2 years but MTL wouldnt budge from 1 despite him being willing to take the league minimum basically.
We lost a great Leader we could have used to help fill the Void Shea left as a Locker Room Leader or Helped Gallagher transition at the very least
Its not just MTL guilty of this as more and more teams are scared of a NSH situation 16m in 2 centers not playing well enough to earn that among others
Oct. 30, 2021 at 7:57 p.m.
Billy739
Quoting: sensonfire

If you want Ottawa to take Byron, you will be paying draft picks instead of receiving them.

Ottawa declines.

Unclaimed due to Term not his play
His Contracts Term was just to much to justify which i think MTL did on purpose giving him 500k over his max overpay value of 2.9m IMO
Point is the player is a welcome addition to any team as his Offense and ability to Lead a PK responsibly with success is not as easy to find in that comination as people pretend.
Its one thing to be fast , its another thing to be Fast and be a good enough Stick Handler and Goal Scorer to do something with it.
Pauls best feature is he may not always get the Goal or the Point but he charges in the OZ with the puck and creates great Rebounds for his teammate's before cycling off for a line change to stay fresh.

If this were Chess he's be you're Knight
Those who know how to use 'em see the Value in their play and utilize their strengths
Those that dont. . . .Dont
Oct. 30, 2021 at 7:58 p.m.
Quoting: sensonfire

Ottawa declines.

last season your team was in no place to need him, they were horrible, this year you are better, next year when he is healthy and your team has the need to fill gaps in skillsets he would be of value, last year there was no kraken, as he would suit them as well. Arizon was in a different position. Last years waivers don't exclude a player from present day needs or future needs

I though he would be able to fill the roles the sens would be missing, give vet support, speed and the ability to play in all scenarios. If not, no problem. Lots of players clear waivers and are still solid nhl players on teams today
Oct. 30, 2021 at 8:00 p.m.
He also Lead the NHL's best PK a HUGE factor in why MTL a nobody underdog team went to the Stanley Cup Final.
Without his Unit and without his Short handed offense with Armia and others
MTL doesnt make the playoffs , make it out of Toronto , Hold off WPG before their top Center got back from suspension , Takeout Paciorettys team or make the SCF
Sure they didnt do much in the SCF but really who did. They did hold it off from being an absolute Slaughter like it could of been with all the PP we gave them.

My Point is before last year Byron was a bottom 6 Depth guy who never really did much in the playoffs.
Last year he put up 6 points including a SH GWG with 66 hits ,15 blocked shots and my favorite stat he was on ice for 14 goals in those 22 playoff games.
His contract is also now just a year after this one where as when we waived him last year it was a 3 season commitment starting from the minute they claimed him
The Player isnt whats scary, even the cap cant be rationalized but Term ends conversations a lot of time.

I mean look at Perry who was i think MTL's 5th best producer in the playoffs.
All he wanted was 2 years but MTL wouldnt budge from 1 despite him being willing to take the league minimum basically.
We lost a great Leader we could have used to help fill the Void Shea left as a Locker Room Leader or Helped Gallagher transition at the very least
Its not just MTL guilty of this as more and more teams are scared of a NSH situation 16m in 2 centers not playing well enough to earn that among others

why i thought he had value to a young team on the rise.
Oct. 30, 2021 at 8:12 p.m.
Serf
Ottawa declines, again and again and again. It’s been stated why so many times now, this is silly. Just because Byron is from Ottawa doesn’t make Ottawa a good trade partner for him.
TheBoyDuddus liked this.
Oct. 31, 2021 at 12:10 a.m.
Byron is still a cap dump. Pass.
sensibleguy liked this.
Oct. 31, 2021 at 1:06 a.m.
Serf

I don't see a trade for any Krav listed, but if it's a 3rd round pick for Vitali Kravtsov, laughable is being too polite. Are you insane thread starter, offering a 3rd for a 9th overall pick just because there's a request to be traded? You want reasons why a 3rd round pick isn't enough for a 9th overall that has 20 NHL games at age 21? grimace
Oct. 31, 2021 at 10:50 a.m.
Edited Oct. 31, 2021 at 11:53 a.m.
Why would Carey Price retire?

Don't think he's going to let go 30+ M$

He would need to have a legit injury for that to happen... You can't just sit on LTIR if you are cleared to play by officials

Or would his mental health problems last for 5 seasons? I hope not for his sake.

I live in ottawa and know he could help make their team better.

There's no spot for Byron once the team is fully healthy

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Stutzle - Pinto - Brown
Formenton - Paul - White
Crookshank - Tierney - Watson
Sanford/Ennis/Gambrell

No chance I'd want Byron over anyone in that top-9

Watson is needed on the 4th line. Tierney is having a good start so far and we need to re-up his trade value for the trade deadline. When is the last time Byron played center?

Crookshank was most likely making the Sens this year but unfortunately got injured. He's coming back in january and will just add to the logjam. Will probably have to stay in the AHL until the deadline since they have acquired Sanford and signed Ennis since. Oh and now Gambrell too. White comes back in February I think. Watson and Pinto very soon.

Sens fans have been explaining that for a while, there is no point in adding a high salary (4 M$ this season, 2.8 M$ next) to add to the logjam. If you want to trade a Top-6 RW or Top-4 RD, let us know.

Ottawa (Melnyk) sign Tyler Ennis (0.9) and acquire Dylan Gambrell (1.1) then they run into injury problem. They don't acquire a very small player owed 6.8 in his last 2 years.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll