Forums/Armchair-GM

Trying to make a sensible trade

Created by: mvp13
Team: 2021-22 Calgary Flames
Initial Creation Date: Nov. 3, 2021
Published: Nov. 3, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I'm really shocked to hear CGY is still in the running for Eichel and making a competitive offer with Chucky, Gaudreau, and Mangiapagne likely getting considerable raises next year. I would assume they want to keep all three, but of course Gaudreau could be part of it. For now, I'm going to assume all three are staying.

Obviously this trade centers around Monahan waiving his NTC. I don't see how it's possible for this trade to happen without him waiving. So, let's just assume Monahan is fine with it, whether BUF promises to flip him elsewhere, or whatever happens. There's just no way to do it otherwise. Unless they get Backlund to waive his clause... either way...

Dube centering Mangiapagne opens doors for Lindholm's exit, I think.

If Lucic can be part of the trade, maybe CGY adds more pieces. But, I think the cap still works even with Lucic staying. Or, he could be bought out in the summer.

Next year: 11 roster spots signed with 32million in space. Chucky gets ~9mil, Gaudreau gets ~8mil, Mangiapagne gets ~5mil. 14 roster spots signed with 10million in space for the 7-9 remaining spots. It's pretty doable, even without Lucic being moved or bought out. Kylington is probably the only one you'd spend over 1million on.
Trades
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$72,250,000$0$0$9,250,000
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$6,750,000$6,750,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$10,000,000$10,000,000
C
UFA - 5
$7,000,000$7,000,000
RW
UFA - 1
$2,425,000$2,425,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$2,300,000$2,300,000
LW, RW, C
RFA - 3
$4,900,000$4,900,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 6
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LW, RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$5,350,000$5,350,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,750,000$1,750,000
RW
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
C
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
RW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,237,500$1,237,500
LD
UFA - 3
$4,550,000$4,550,000
RD
UFA - 5
$6,000,000$6,000,000
G
NMC
UFA - 5
$750,000$750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$1,125,000$1,125,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 2
$3,750,000$3,750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$1,950,000$1,950,000
RD
UFA - 1
$912,500$912,500
LD
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Nov. 3, 2021 at 3:17 p.m.
GO FLAMES GO
Absolutely horrible for Calgary. Who would our centers be when Eichel is out?
Nov. 3, 2021 at 3:17 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Assuming that Eichel won't be back on the ice until February (at the earliest), do you think that this squad will stay within reach of a successful push for the playoffs once he is?
Gmonwy liked this.
Nov. 3, 2021 at 3:18 p.m.
Quoting: Gmonwy
Absolutely horrible for Calgary. Who would our centers be when Eichel is out?

... that's how you judge a team? Who would be your centers when Lindholm is out? lmfao... literally the same problem...

EDIT: Eh, you might have meant during the surgery. Well, I really don't think you get him for anything else, if Mangiapagne is allegedly an untouchable. Gaudreau being a UFA isn't really a worthy piece for BUF. VGK and CGY both seem to think it'll be worth the risk decimating their teams until he is healthy. It is a weak division. I think they'll still squeeze by
Nov. 3, 2021 at 3:19 p.m.
Quoting: OldNYIfan
Assuming that Eichel won't be back on the ice until February (at the earliest), do you think that this squad will stay within reach of a successful push for the playoffs once he is?

Pacific division, I think so. VGK or CGY will be decimated by this trade regardless. Both seem to still think it'll be worth it
Nov. 3, 2021 at 3:22 p.m.
seeing Valimaki makes this completely not sensible, the sabres already have a log jam at D
Nov. 3, 2021 at 3:22 p.m.
Quoting: Sabres_Insider
seeing Valimaki makes this completely not sensible, the sabres already have a log jam at D

LD
Nov. 3, 2021 at 3:24 p.m.
Ryan Miller Is God
As a Sabres fans, that's wayyy too much for Eichel. You have zero offensive centers until Eichel is healthy again in late January. Don't do this to yourself.

Monahan (flipped immediately), Zary, Zadorov (cap dump), Coronato, and a 2022/23 1st for Eichel and Butcher (@1.4M, 50% retained). That's my "let's see if we can get the flames to pay TOO MUCH" ask.

Buffalo will not value Valimaki nearly as high as you'd like, as he is a LHD and we are stacked there.
soooonk liked this.
Nov. 3, 2021 at 3:28 p.m.
Quoting: Sabres_Insider

He's played RD plenty. Unfortunately CGY also is pretty flush with LD and I don't see any better options at RD to suggest. He can also be flipped, I suppose

I think fans and whatnot care more about LD vs RD, more so than the coaches and players do. The Rangers have been having this "problem" also with defensemen and wings playing their off sides, and all the interviews the players say they don't care which side, they can adjust and figure it out.

Regardless, if there were any young right handed defenseman to offer, I would
Nov. 3, 2021 at 3:30 p.m.
Quoting: mvp13
He's played RD plenty. Unfortunately CGY also is pretty flush with LD and I don't see any better options at RD to suggest. He can also be flipped, I suppose

I think fans and whatnot care more about LD vs RD, more so than the coaches and players do. The Rangers have been having this "problem" also with defensemen and wings playing their off sides, and all the interviews the players say they don't care which side, they can adjust and figure it out.

Regardless, if there were any young right handed defenseman to offer, I would

id take rasmus andersson but IK u wont do that
Nov. 3, 2021 at 3:32 p.m.
Quoting: AudioCats
As a Sabres fans, that's wayyy too much for Eichel. You have zero offensive centers until Eichel is healthy again in late January. Don't do this to yourself.

Monahan (flipped immediately), Zary, Zadorov (cap dump), Coronato, and a 2022/23 1st for Eichel and Butcher (1.4M, 50% retained). That's my "let's see if we can get the flames to pay TOO MUCH" ask.

Buffalo will not value Valimaki nearly as high as you'd like, as he is a LHD and we are stacked there.

I made this trade assuming you only keep Lindholm and Zary long term, and you get what you can out of Valimaki before deciding... so in your suggestion, you only want Zary and a 1st and whatever junk Monahan gets you for Eichel? That's pretty crazy. I imagine 30 NHL teams have fielded better offers than that. Regardless, the team's cap situation next year will be tight with Eichel, and either Lucic needs to be fully moved or Lindholm/Backlund need to be moved. I made a "year two" of this team, and there's just barely any room for Lindholm there.
Nov. 3, 2021 at 3:37 p.m.
Values way off. Given Eichel's injuries and their respective contracts, I wouldn't move Lindholm alone for Eichel
Nov. 3, 2021 at 3:40 p.m.
Ryan Miller Is God
Quoting: mvp13
I made this trade assuming you only keep Lindholm and Zary long term, and you get what you can out of Valimaki before deciding... so in your suggestion, you only want Zary and a 1st and whatever junk Monahan gets you for Eichel? That's pretty crazy. I imagine 30 NHL teams have fielded better offers than that. Regardless, the team's cap situation next year will be tight with Eichel, and either Lucic needs to be fully moved or Lindholm/Backlund need to be moved. I made a "year two" of this team, and there's just barely any room for Lindholm there.

Coronato??? Your 1st rd pick who's tearing it up in the NCAA? He's a major piece for evening the scales in my offer.

Look, if this were real life I'd jump for joy and name all my children Kevyn Adams. I would 100% love to somehow get the deal you put above, but it's so bad for Calgary, and a steep overpayment even for one of the best centers in the league.

If Lindholm is a huge problem, I think you exhaust any avenue of removing Lucic, Backund, Tanev, or even Dube/Mangiapane before you lose him. Pay them off to other teams with picks if you have to. He's nearly a ppg center himself, which makes him more valuable than nearly anybody in the league.
Nov. 3, 2021 at 4:14 p.m.
Quoting: AudioCats
Coronato??? Your 1st rd pick who's tearing it up in the NCAA? He's a major piece for evening the scales in my offer.

Look, if this were real life I'd jump for joy and name all my children Kevyn Adams. I would 100% love to somehow get the deal you put above, but it's so bad for Calgary, and a steep overpayment even for one of the best centers in the league.

If Lindholm is a huge problem, I think you exhaust any avenue of removing Lucic, Backund, Tanev, or even Dube/Mangiapane before you lose him. Pay them off to other teams with picks if you have to. He's nearly a ppg center himself, which makes him more valuable than nearly anybody in the league.

I don't know anything about Corranto. Flames aren't my #1. If he's the next coming of McJesus, time will tell. But I missed him in your offer, my fault

I still feel it's an even trade, and I root for CGY haha... I think people are being far too unrealistic with Eichel trades. He's a top 5 center in the league and will be far above a PPG on a good team like CGY, much better than Lindholm. Monahan is a cap dump, Lindholm is your current NHL player, Zary is your future NHL player, Valimaki is a defense position player that can be flippable if necessary, and a first round pick. I don't see how it isn't fair, but it's whatever

The problem isn't so much paying off other teams for those contracts, it's that Lucic and Backlund and Tanev also have trade clauses. So you have to try to find a suitor they wouldn't veto, AND pay them off. That's difficult in today's NHL. It's easy for us to pawn everything off on ARI... it's hard for an actual GM to circumvent around the clauses and whatnot. I typically do not try to trade clause players in armchair GM because of this (outside of Monahan here with a long explanation of why)

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll