SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(BUF/VGK) - Eichel, 2023 3rd for Krebs, Tuch, 2022 1st, 2023 2nd

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Mar. 26, 2023 at 3:41 p.m.
Quoting: Saskleaf
Yah my take on this trade hasn’t changed much. I still think it looks better for Buffalo but Eichel has been excellent lately too. I’d say it’s a win win to be honest.

Yup. I really dont get why Sabres fans can't just be happy and let it rest yet claim a win out of nowhere among such a tough streak. Are they really happy with their current reality? They are historically bad defensively. Historic. That aint good.
Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 26, 2023 at 3:43 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: Koskinen_The_Great
Yup. I really dont get why Sabres fans can just be happy and claim a win out of nowhere. Are they really happy with their current reality? They are historically bad defensively. Historic. That aint good.

Yah right now they aren’t great, but they definitely have a bright future ahead of them. They are the leagues youngest team after all.
Andy_Dick liked this.
Mar. 26, 2023 at 3:44 p.m.
Yah right now they aren’t great, but they definitely have a bright future ahead of them. They are the leagues youngest team after all.

The trade worked out well, for sure, for them. But to say Vegas isnt happy is kinda crazy. Eichel is going to the playoffs for the first time and Vegas is drastically better defensively than last year under Cassidy. Devon Levi's stats are also overblown in a defensive system at NorthEastern. Style of play matters.
Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 26, 2023 at 5:44 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: Koskinen_The_Great
The trade worked out well, for sure, for them. But to say Vegas isnt happy is kinda crazy. Eichel is going to the playoffs for the first time and Vegas is drastically better defensively than last year under Cassidy. Devon Levi's stats are also overblown in a defensive system at NorthEastern. Style of play matters.

Oh for sure, Vegas did well in this deal. I like it better long term for Buffalo but it’s a win win trade.
McGruff liked this.
Jun. 13, 2023 at 11:09 p.m.
I make typos
sorry to break it to Sabres fans but they so far they aren't winning this trade for the same reason they aren't winning the O'Rielly trade. No cup, only way that changes if they win a cup in like the next 10-15 years
Rolfadinho, Saskleaf and Andy_Dick liked this.
Jun. 13, 2023 at 11:59 p.m.
Quoting: oilersguy
sorry to break it to Sabres fans but they so far they aren't winning this trade for the same reason they aren't winning the O'Rielly trade. No cup, only way that changes if they win a cup in like the next 10-15 years

Pretty strong outcome bias on this one. Think the return is more than fair considering Eichel wasn't ever going to play for the Sabers since they refused to okay his neck surgery. They made a great trade a year and a half ago and Vegas also benefits. Trades aren't zero sum.
Jun. 14, 2023 at 8:59 a.m.
Bedard23
Quoting: phillyjabroni
Pretty strong outcome bias on this one. Think the return is more than fair considering Eichel wasn't ever going to play for the Sabers since they refused to okay his neck surgery. They made a great trade a year and a half ago and Vegas also benefits. Trades aren't zero sum.

You don’t lose a trade, if you win a cup with the player you traded for, and they made a big impact in winning
Jun. 14, 2023 at 11:04 a.m.
Quoting: IconicHawk
You don’t lose a trade, if you win a cup with the player you traded for, and they made a big impact in winning

That's the whole point of trading, it's positive sum. Everyone who made the trade benefits. But saying a year and a half later Vegas "won" the trade because they won the cup has no justification on if they should have made the trade in the first place. The trade already accounted for the opportunity cost and the speculation that Vegas would be a cup contender.
Jun. 14, 2023 at 2:25 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: phillyjabroni
That's the whole point of trading, it's positive sum. Everyone who made the trade benefits. But saying a year and a half later Vegas "won" the trade because they won the cup has no justification on if they should have made the trade in the first place. The trade already accounted for the opportunity cost and the speculation that Vegas would be a cup contender.

On top of that, I still think Vegas wins even if they didn't make this trade... That doesn't mean Eichel didn't help their chances, just that they didn't NEED him like Draisaitl was to EDM when they were getting past the Kings
Jun. 14, 2023 at 8:54 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: oilersguy

I will admit I liked the trade for Buffalo and still do but yah, no question Vegas won this trade.
Andy_Dick liked this.
Jun. 15, 2023 at 8:10 a.m.
I will admit I liked the trade for Buffalo and still do but yah, no question Vegas won this trade.

Where are all the Sabres fans now?
Going to be fun watching a team with no defence and goaltending, try to compete in the toughest division in hockey while a destination no player wants to take part unless forced to Buffalo but the Sabres 'won the trade' so its all meaningless amirite

Pure semantics. Vegas got the best player as was said so they won the trade. Vegas winning it all was the icing on the Cup errr cake.
Saskleaf liked this.
Jun. 19, 2023 at 4:46 p.m.
The real winners in this trade were the three players. Eichel because he got the surgery he wanted and a Stanley Cup, Tuch because he got to play in a situation where he could reach his full potential, and Krebs because he got to establish himself as an NHL regular. It's very likely none of these would have happened without this trade.

From a pure hockey trade perspective, it seemed that Buffalo didn’t get as much as they should have for Eichel, but if keeping him was not an option, they probably did as well as they could have. Not many teams would be willing and able to take on a guy with a 5x$10M cap hit and an uncertain future.
Saskleaf, HockeyScotty and RawDeal liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit