Logo of the Calgary Flames
$912,500$912,500
LD
UFA - 2
$1,950,000$1,950,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$750,000$750,000
RD
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
RW
UFA - 1
$827,500$827,500
RW
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Nov. 4, 2021 at 6:45 p.m.
I have no idea how Calgary couldn't beat that offer, Buffalo must either be extremely high on Tuch or Monahan wouldnt waive and they couldnt find a 3rd team
Flamecity and palhal liked this.
Nov. 4, 2021 at 6:47 p.m.
Shibbal18
Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy
I have no idea how Calgary couldn't beat that offer, Buffalo must either be extremely high on Tuch or Monahan wouldnt waive and they couldnt find a 3rd team

Krebs > Zary
0 need > Valimaki
Ntc > Monahan
Nov. 4, 2021 at 6:48 p.m.
Flamecity

Fr Buffalo got fleeced and I think that first round pick is top 10 protected too
Nov. 4, 2021 at 6:49 p.m.
Flamecity
Quoting: Shibbal18
Krebs > Zary
0 need > Valimaki
Ntc > Monahan

Sub dube for valimaki
Nov. 4, 2021 at 6:49 p.m.
Quoting: Shibbal18
Krebs > Zary
0 need > Valimaki
Ntc > Monahan

Im not talking about the trade above specifically. But Krebs vs Zary is highly debatable, and Monahan has a 10 team NTC only

I would have moved Coronato as well if push came to shove
Flamecity, Shibbal18 and soooonk liked this.
Nov. 4, 2021 at 6:51 p.m.
Treliving did that and Calgary doesn't win a Cup in 2 years he's looking for a new job.
Nov. 4, 2021 at 6:52 p.m.
Vegan Commie Hipster
All that truculence wears your brain down

Ugh
Nov. 4, 2021 at 6:53 p.m.
Flamecity
Quoting: Boltsbeathabs
Treliving did that and Calgary doesn't win a Cup in 2 years he's looking for a new job.

Nah if he did the trade involving chucky it would result in that
Nov. 4, 2021 at 7:58 p.m.
Im not talking about the trade above specifically. But Krebs vs Zary is highly debatable, and Monahan has a 10 team NTC only

I would have moved Coronato as well if push came to shove

Agreed. I can’t believe Treliving couldn’t find a way to get this done. A 3-way deal is a bit more complex, but it’s definitely not impossible to pull off to move Monahan somewhere else.

You had one job, Brad. He’s either too lazy to turn over every possible rock to get Eichel, or not competent to pull of the 3-way deal to get this done. Either way, it’s brutal for CGY fans. VGK has ponied up for Stone and Eichel while Brad just watches. A division rival has those two guys for the next 5+ years.

Would he have paid more if CGY was 4-5-0 to start the season? Yeah, probably. A 9-game sample size probably impacted his offer. And that is just bogus.
Gmonwy liked this.
Nov. 4, 2021 at 8:23 p.m.
CGY
Quoting: Tkachinla
Agreed. I can’t believe Treliving couldn’t find a way to get this done. A 3-way deal is a bit more complex, but it’s definitely not impossible to pull off to move Monahan somewhere else.

You had one job, Brad. He’s either too lazy to turn over every possible rock to get Eichel, or not competent to pull of the 3-way deal to get this done. Either way, it’s brutal for CGY fans. VGK has ponied up for Stone and Eichel while Brad just watches. A division rival has those two guys for the next 5+ years.

Would he have paid more if CGY was 4-5-0 to start the season? Yeah, probably. A 9-game sample size probably impacted his offer. And that is just bogus.

Lots to unpack here.

Would you have been ok with 18 regular season games for Mark Stone? Because he wasn't signing an extension with Calgary. It would have cost Andersson or Valimaki. Flames would still have lost in 5 to the Avs.

Regarding Eichel, here's the big thing. Monahan's trade value is almost zero. If he could fetch anything worthwhile, he would not be in Calgary. He's been on the block for two seasons for a reason, there's not a lot of interest in him. It sounds like Buffalo wanted Tkachuk and not Monahan.

Look, I'm frustrated too, I wanted Eichel. Vegas had a much easier time making this deal due to their LTIR situation. Easy to say the Flames deal Monahan and Zadorov to make it work, but it takes two to make a deal. I doubt Buffalo would want either. Vegas is taking a significant amount of risk, they *should* make the playoffs, but they are so banged up that it's not a slam dunk.
Nov. 4, 2021 at 8:27 p.m.
Quoting: ItWasIn
Lots to unpack here.

Would you have been ok with 18 regular season games for Mark Stone? Because he wasn't signing an extension with Calgary. It would have cost Andersson or Valimaki. Flames would still have lost in 5 to the Avs.

Regarding Eichel, here's the big thing. Monahan's trade value is almost zero. If he could fetch anything worthwhile, he would not be in Calgary. He's been on the block for two seasons for a reason, there's not a lot of interest in him. It sounds like Buffalo wanted Tkachuk and not Monahan.

Look, I'm frustrated too, I wanted Eichel. Vegas had a much easier time making this deal due to their LTIR situation. Easy to say the Flames deal Monahan and Zadorov to make it work, but it takes two to make a deal. I doubt Buffalo would want either. Vegas is taking a significant amount of risk, they *should* make the playoffs, but they are so banged up that it's not a slam dunk.

Adams confirmed today that Tkachuk was never in the trade talks, It was very likely Monahan.
Nov. 4, 2021 at 8:28 p.m.
Quoting: Boltsbeathabs

Treliving contract ends after next season so he's probably looking for a new job regardless
Nov. 4, 2021 at 8:30 p.m.
CGY
Adams confirmed today that Tkachuk was never in the trade talks, It was very likely Monahan.

That's the big thing. Buffalo likely didn't really want Monahan. They'd take him, but the Flames better pay up.

Again, Monahan's value is very low right now. With the cap being what it is, I have a hard time seeing teams lining up to acquire him. So for fans that think they should have done a 3 way deal, that's crazy to me.
Nov. 4, 2021 at 9:07 p.m.
Quoting: ItWasIn
That's the big thing. Buffalo likely didn't really want Monahan. They'd take him, but the Flames better pay up.

Again, Monahan's value is very low right now. With the cap being what it is, I have a hard time seeing teams lining up to acquire him. So for fans that think they should have done a 3 way deal, that's crazy to me.

Ok from what i heard, with Buffalo's start to the season they became more interested in acquiring a player that can help them now and not 2-3 years down the road. Tuch kinda fills that role and so does Monahan. I do agree that Monahan's value is pretty bad right now, however I do not think that is a good reason for a 3rd team no not try and buy low on him. SM is still a solid player and has shown to have been returning to himself in recent games. I like to use Boston as an example here since they really don't have reliable center depth. They do have a relatively young but proven NHL winger that has struggled as of recently in Jake DeBrusk. Lets say Buffalo agreed to retain 50% of Monahan's contract for DeBrusk and Boston's 1st this year. That would provide Boston with a reliable 2C that would likely have decent chemistry with Hall, and would take some workload off of Bergeron as well as allow Coyle to play a more defensive role. This is all purely hypothetical though.

For me at least a return of DeBrusk, 2 1sts, Zary, another good young prospect, and a 2nd is definitely a better return than they got today.
Nov. 4, 2021 at 9:50 p.m.
CGY
Ok from what i heard, with Buffalo's start to the season they became more interested in acquiring a player that can help them now and not 2-3 years down the road. Tuch kinda fills that role and so does Monahan. I do agree that Monahan's value is pretty bad right now, however I do not think that is a good reason for a 3rd team no not try and buy low on him. SM is still a solid player and has shown to have been returning to himself in recent games. I like to use Boston as an example here since they really don't have reliable center depth. They do have a relatively young but proven NHL winger that has struggled as of recently in Jake DeBrusk. Lets say Buffalo agreed to retain 50% of Monahan's contract for DeBrusk and Boston's 1st this year. That would provide Boston with a reliable 2C that would likely have decent chemistry with Hall, and would take some workload off of Bergeron as well as allow Coyle to play a more defensive role. This is all purely hypothetical though.

For me at least a return of DeBrusk, 2 1sts, Zary, another good young prospect, and a 2nd is definitely a better return than they got today.

That does make sense.

With Tuch, I think he had a ton of appeal for Vegas. 4 full years of control on a great contract for a big RW. He's also an upstate NY guy, grew up a Sabre fan. For as bad as things have been in Buffalo, there is a TON of value in getting players that want to be there. In terms of a Flames comp, you would probably be talking about Lindholm, term and cap hit or Mangiapane, no term but maybe better than Tuch. Both are non-starters.
soooonk liked this.
Nov. 5, 2021 at 9:50 a.m.

I think the Flames wanted players with more term. Sure, they could trade Monahan, but they might not get the return they would want to build their team.

That's definitely a trade that I originally thought would happen. The fact it didn't makes me think Buffalo was more interested in Mang or Lindholm, which were probably non-starters with how the team is playing, plus, wouldn't work cap wise.
Nov. 5, 2021 at 10:18 a.m.
Quoting: soooonk
I think the Flames wanted players with more term. Sure, they could trade Monahan, but they might not get the return they would want to build their team.

That's definitely a trade that I originally thought would happen. The fact it didn't makes me think Buffalo was more interested in Mang or Lindholm, which were probably non-starters with how the team is playing, plus, wouldn't work cap wise.

Friedge said on TJMS that he's pretty sure it was around Monahan and 3 of Calgary's top prospects as well as picks (3 top prospects doesnt mean Flames top 3 prospects, likely 3 of the top 10 and at least 1 of the top 3)

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll