SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Prospect Discussion Thread

Jan. 7, 2022 at 7:21 p.m.
Quoting: Saskleaf
How about Connor Brown to Toronto for Nick Ritchie, Travis Dermott and Toronto's 2022 first?

PS. Ottawa is currently 3rd last, meaning if they don't improve mid season they are guaranteed a top 5 pick. In which case they probably don't pick Slafovsky.

Yeah, I doubt they pick Slavkosky in the top 5. They'd probably have their sights set on some 3rd round talent that threw a hit once.
Saskleaf and zk97 liked this.
Jan. 7, 2022 at 7:25 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
Yeah, I doubt they pick Slavkosky in the top 5. They'd probably have their sights set on some 3rd round talent that threw a hit once.

LOL
BuFfaLOFaN, A_Habs_fan and zk97 liked this.
Jan. 7, 2022 at 7:25 p.m.
Quoting: Saskleaf
How about Connor Brown to Toronto for Nick Ritchie, Travis Dermott and Toronto's 2022 first?

PS. Ottawa is currently 3rd last, meaning if they don't improve mid season they are guaranteed a top 5 pick. In which case they probably don't pick Slafovsky.

I think the Sens would probably be looking for something like 1st+Robertson for C. Brown half-retained (he’s not a rental, he has an extra year that would be at 1.8mil as well). That’s pretty comparable to the Coleman trade tbh, Robertson is pretty comparable to Foote and the late 1st would be the same. The Edmonton example is a slightly worse prospect (I’d have Lavoie a bit behind Robertson/2019 Foote) because Edmonton probably finishes lower in the standings. I don’t think the Sens would have any interest in Dermott unless we either trade Mete, J Brown, and Holden first, or can immediately trade him on for a pick, and Ritchie would be considered a negative asset, and his contract is back-loaded so Melnyk would hate it.
Saskleaf liked this.
Jan. 7, 2022 at 7:29 p.m.

Lucky thing Slafkovsky is 6’4” and a good skater lol, it seems like that’s all Ottawa has cared about recently (emphasis on guys like Stutzle, Sanderson, Jarventie who are great skaters, Sanderson, Jarventie, Sokolov, Kleven, Boucher are big guys, Slafkovsky fits both criteria with high end skill). I’d prefer Wright/Savoie/Kemell/Cooley/Lambert (in that order for now, Cooley may pass Kemell though) but Slafkovsky is probably the most intriguing prospect in the draft tbh. His toolkit is unique and his upside is sky high.
Jan. 7, 2022 at 7:32 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Alfie11
I think the Sens would probably be looking for something like 1st+Robertson for C. Brown half-retained (he’s not a rental, he has an extra year that would be at 1.8mil as well). That’s pretty comparable to the Coleman trade tbh, Robertson is pretty comparable to Foote and the late 1st would be the same. The Edmonton example is a slightly worse prospect (I’d have Lavoie a bit behind Robertson/2019 Foote) because Edmonton probably finishes lower in the standings. I don’t think the Sens would have any interest in Dermott unless we either trade Mete, J Brown, and Holden first, or can immediately trade him on for a pick, and Ritchie would be considered a negative asset, and his contract is back-loaded so Melnyk would hate it.

Not gonna lie if that was the offer I would not mind it with the only nagging question of "what if"

As I like Robertson but Brown was also a great player for us and he seems to have rebounded from his final year in Toronto.
Jan. 7, 2022 at 7:45 p.m.
Lucky thing Slafkovsky is 6’4” and a good skater lol, it seems like that’s all Ottawa has cared about recently (emphasis on guys like Stutzle, Sanderson, Jarventie who are great skaters, Sanderson, Jarventie, Sokolov, Kleven, Boucher are big guys, Slafkovsky fits both criteria with high end skill). I’d prefer Wright/Savoie/Kemell/Cooley/Lambert (in that order for now, Cooley may pass Kemell though) but Slafkovsky is probably the most intriguing prospect in the draft tbh. His toolkit is unique and his upside is sky high.

Slafkovsky would be nice, but then what if that potential 3rd line grinder isn't there at pick 59? Better to just be safe and nab him at 4th overall.

Seriously though, I applaud the Sens commitment to trying to build an identity through the draft, but they could certainly go about it better at times.
Alfie11, zk97 and Saskleaf liked this.
Jan. 7, 2022 at 7:57 p.m.
Slafkovsky would be nice, but then what if that potential 3rd line grinder isn't there at pick 59? Better to just be safe and nab him at 4th overall.

Seriously though, I applaud the Sens commitment to trying to build an identity through the draft, but they could certainly go about it better at times.

Yeah I think the time to build an identity is NOT the 1st round. Like while I would have taken other guys at the time, picks like Jarventie, Kleven, and Sokolov are fine if that's the identity you want to build (Kleven does look a little iffy though, he does look solid personally, but Hirvonen and Niemela look great). And in general they've turned out okay, but Boucher was a massive reach and hasn't looked good, Jarventie and Sokolov looked like good picks in hindsight, and even though at the time I probably would have taken Drysdale and Holtz over Sanderson, he has looked incredible in hindsight as well, but Boucher was a massive reach and then struggled out of the gate at BU. That could be a massive flop, with potentially large impacts (you don't see many top 10 picks flop for teams that become contenders, like we could've had Sillinger, Coronato, Lucius, Svechkov, Wallstedt, or Cossa there, all of whom will probably be more impactful than Boucher, which was my take before the draft and my take now).
Jan. 7, 2022 at 8:05 p.m.

Slafkovsky is definitely intriguing, the potential is there but his consistency and acceleration needs a bit of help, there is definitely an appeal to a big PWF though
capsfan2121 and Alfie11 liked this.
Jan. 7, 2022 at 8:12 p.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Slafkovsky is definitely intriguing, the potential is there but his consistency and acceleration needs a bit of help, there is definitely an appeal to a big PWF though

Yeah his tools are unreal. Like if he's developed properly, learns to use his body more, and puts it all together at the NHL level, he could be like a faster, more skilled Tkachuk, which is crazy, that's the type of player every team would kill to have come playoffs.
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Jan. 7, 2022 at 8:45 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: A_Habs_fan

Another big bodied LW I’m starting to like more is Jani Nyman. Good goal scoring touch and great vision with his playmaking ability. One of the more exciting Finish prospects this year. Still growing into his body but could be a nice 2nd round selection.

If they Leafs do keep their 1st, kinda hoping they trade back to get some more picks. Unless Marco Kasper or Nathan Gaucher are there when they pick, IMO Leafs need an impact C, trading back would be wise.
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Jan. 7, 2022 at 8:49 p.m.
Quoting: MatthewsFan
Another big bodied LW I’m starting to like more is Jani Nyman. Good goal scoring touch and great vision with his playmaking ability. One of the more exciting Finish prospects this year. Still growing into his body but could be a nice 2nd round selection.

If they Leafs do keep their 1st, kinda hoping they trade back to get some more picks. Unless Marco Kasper or Nathan Gaucher are there when they pick, IMO Leafs need an impact C, trading back would be wise.

I think i had Nyman around 28 in my latest rankings, he’s definitely a player to watch, you want an impact C, maybe hope Ostlund falls to you, Kasper’s an option, Mesar can play everywhere
capsfan2121 and MatthewsFan liked this.
Jan. 7, 2022 at 10:37 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

Good cause I want to see him play soon
zk97 liked this.
Jan. 7, 2022 at 11:09 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
So Logan Mailloux played tonight and did pretty well for his fist game but not surprisingly him being allowed to return to the OHL and play started infighting amongst the fanbase and hockey community.

But hey hes got a pretty nice Wrist shot though I will give him that. (avgd 90mph)

I dont think though I have ever seen a prospect divide a fanbase as much as he has.
BuFfaLOFaN and zk97 liked this.
Jan. 8, 2022 at 10:48 a.m.
Go leafs go

That's fair. I think the leafs would consider such a trade. It's a bit more than I'd like to pay for Brown (I think Coleman is slightly better) but I'd probably still do it. Brown (ironically) would be a great fit on the leafs.
Jan. 8, 2022 at 2:31 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
I think it’s really interesting to watch Ryan Merkley for those who care in watching a prospect trying to punch his NHL ticket.

He stepped up and play fantastic given the situation in his COVID games when the Sharks had 10+ players out for COVID a couple months ago.

Then he comes in the other night and played damn well being the 2nd pair guy (he took Karlssons spot in the roster). And his performance earned a ton of praise. And tonight’s he’s expected to still be the Sharks “3rd man” behind Ferraro and Burns. Ryan Merkley - often forgotten and long “ignored” has contributed to the belief that he can still be a dynamic NHL mainstay OFD. And tonight is going to be a another big step for him. The more Merkley performs the more you wonder if the Sharks keep him around to finish the year and begin scratching Vlasic (which tbh should start happening).
MatthewsFan liked this.
Jan. 8, 2022 at 6:44 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

Video game numbers
capsfan2121, PointStamkosVasilevskiy219188, zk97 and 1 other person liked this.
Jan. 8, 2022 at 6:46 p.m.
Tintin over 1122

Video game numbers

LIU baby. I think there green yellow and white. But Long Island university
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Jan. 8, 2022 at 7:24 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: capsfan2121
LIU baby. I think there green yellow and white. But Long Island university

Can’t make this **** up, crazy
capsfan2121, EsoYeezus69 and zk97 liked this.
Jan. 8, 2022 at 7:26 p.m.
Tintin over 1122

Why did he fall to the seventh round
Jan. 8, 2022 at 7:33 p.m.
Why did he fall to the seventh round

I think it's mainly because of the league he played in. He didn't play in the CHL, NCAA, USHL or somewhere in Europe but in the CCHL.
Jan. 8, 2022 at 7:37 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Quoting: TZ11
I think it's mainly because of the league he played in. He didn't play in the CHL, NCAA, USHL or somewhere in Europe but in the CCHL.

When I grow up I want to be as dominant Devon Levi in the world juniors. Is .75 Gaa a record.
Jan. 8, 2022 at 7:42 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith

I said the Sharks shoulda tried trading for him after those World Juniors. He just looked like a good bet NHL’er.

Tho he was used in a really great trade for both teams.
capsfan2121 and MatthewsFan liked this.
Jan. 8, 2022 at 7:56 p.m.
When I grow up I want to be as dominant Devon Levi in the world juniors. Is .75 Gaa a record.

yeah it is lol
capsfan2121 liked this.
Jan. 8, 2022 at 9:06 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

With Knies (second assist of the game, a deflection off his wrist shot. That brings him to exactly a point per game with 20 points in 20 games) and Niemelä Leafs have two legit top end prospect coming up in the next couple of years.

Not giving up on Robertson or Amirov but both need to stay healthy and in Rodin case, start to develop in NA.
Jan. 8, 2022 at 9:08 p.m.

With Knies (second assist of the game, a deflection off his wrist shot. That brings him to exactly a point per game with 20 points in 20 games) and Niemelä Leafs have two legit top end prospect coming up in the next couple of years.

Not giving up on Robertson or Amirov but both need to stay healthy and in Rodin case, start to develop in NA.

Knies is having a great game. Just barely missed a 'michigan' attempt, and created several other chances in addition to his assists.
MatthewsFan liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll