SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Prospect Discussion Thread

Jan. 24, 2022 at 2:42 p.m.
Not gonna lie, I’m shocked that Wheeler has the Rangers ranked 18th. I know a lot of their young talent (Laf, Kakko, Chytil, Miller, Lundkvist) is in the NHL, but their pipeline is still super deep. Their #9 prospect is an OHL captain that made Canada’s WJC team. Their #13 prospect would have been Sweden’s 1C at last year’s WJC if not for COVID. I think Wheeler may emphasize starpower more than I expected, like the Rangers have a likely 2LW, full 2nd pair, and 10 guys that could be bottom 6 guys at least, vs. a team like Philly with one top 4 LD, a middle six C, and like 5 guys that are probably bottom 6 (a couple could be middle 6). He must be a real Cam York believer is basically what I’m saying lol
yikes liked this.
Jan. 24, 2022 at 2:45 p.m.
Quoting: Alfie11
Not gonna lie, I’m shocked that Wheeler has the Rangers ranked 18th. I know a lot of their young talent (Laf, Kakko, Chytil, Miller, Lundkvist) is in the NHL, but their pipeline is still super deep. Their #9 prospect is an OHL captain that made Canada’s WJC team. Their #13 prospect would have been Sweden’s 1C at last year’s WJC if not for COVID. I think Wheeler may emphasize starpower more than I expected, like the Rangers have a likely 2LW, full 2nd pair, and 10 guys that could be bottom 6 guys at least, vs. a team like Philly with one top 4 LD, a middle six C, and like 5 guys that are probably bottom 6 (a couple could be middle 6). He must be a real Cam York believer is basically what I’m saying lol

Tuomaala has good potential, Foerster and Wisdom are decent, Philly has a bit more than just York.
yikes and BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Jan. 24, 2022 at 4:22 p.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Tuomaala has good potential, Foerster and Wisdom are decent, Philly has a bit more than just York.

York is great, surefire top 4 guy who runs a PP. Frost is gonna be a middle six centre. Tuomalaa might have 2nd line upside, probably 3rd line. Foerster, Wisdom, and Zamula are probably bottom six/bottom pair guys. I don’t think Brink is skilled enough to overcome his size at this point, if he makes it he’ll be a top 6 guy, but so far I think he’s more likely to just be a Bracco-esque player than a Gaudreau-esque player. They have a couple other interesting prospects, like Andrae and Desnoyers, but imo the majority of the rest of their pipeline is a whole lotta nothing, maybe a couple guys that turn into tweeners. I’m much higher on the Rangers pipeline, Othmann is probably a 2LW, Jones-Schneider is a good 2nd pair in 3 years. Kravtsov, Robertson, Berard, Cuylle, Korczak, Pajuniemi, Skinner, and Henriksson all have as good of a shot (or better) at making the NHL as Wisdom, so the Rangers depth is clearly better, and while York is the best prospect between the two teams, I don’t think he’s far enough ahead to carry the whole pipeline that much. Plus the Rangers have a legitimate goalie prospect in Dylan Garand. It’s gonna be interesting how he justifies Philly higher than this. Imo it’s either because he thinks Brink is a surefire 2nd liner (boosting the higher end of the Flyers pipeline) or he thinks York is a #1 D, because otherwise I just don’t see it.
Jan. 24, 2022 at 4:32 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
York is great, surefire top 4 guy who runs a PP. Frost is gonna be a middle six centre. Tuomalaa might have 2nd line upside, probably 3rd line. Foerster, Wisdom, and Zamula are probably bottom six/bottom pair guys. I don’t think Brink is skilled enough to overcome his size at this point, if he makes it he’ll be a top 6 guy, but so far I think he’s more likely to just be a Bracco-esque player than a Gaudreau-esque player. They have a couple other interesting prospects, like Andrae and Desnoyers, but imo the majority of the rest of their pipeline is a whole lotta nothing, maybe a couple guys that turn into tweeners. I’m much higher on the Rangers pipeline, Othmann is probably a 2LW, Jones-Schneider is a good 2nd pair in 3 years. Kravtsov, Robertson, Berard, Cuylle, Korczak, Pajuniemi, Skinner, and Henriksson all have as good of a shot (or better) at making the NHL as Wisdom, so the Rangers depth is clearly better, and while York is the best prospect between the two teams, I don’t think he’s far enough ahead to carry the whole pipeline that much. Plus the Rangers have a legitimate goalie prospect in Dylan Garand. It’s gonna be interesting how he justifies Philly higher than this. Imo it’s either because he thinks Brink is a surefire 2nd liner (boosting the higher end of the Flyers pipeline) or he thinks York is a #1 D, because otherwise I just don’t see it.

FJpdBVPXsAAl1xO?format=jpg&name=large

If I’m EDM or any other team looking to add some goalie depth, I’d be targeting Ivan. Not sure if PHI sees him in their long term plans
capsfan2121 and EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Jan. 24, 2022 at 4:35 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Quoting: MatthewsFan

If I’m EDM or any other team looking to add some goalie depth, I’d be targeting Ivan. Not sure if PHI sees him in their long term plans

That’s a great idea. Also that man is 6,8

👀
MatthewsFan and yikes liked this.
Jan. 24, 2022 at 4:36 p.m.

These prospect rankings are only U23, but yeah Fedotov does look decent. He’s also huge lol
capsfan2121 and MatthewsFan liked this.
Jan. 24, 2022 at 4:42 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
These prospect rankings are only U23, but yeah Fedotov does look decent. He’s also huge lol

Only pic I could find. Ivan is currently averaging a 2.00 GAA and a 0.919 save percentage with CSKA Moscow. His KHL contract ends this year. Could be a hot commodity especially if he leads Russia to Gold.
capsfan2121 and BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Jan. 24, 2022 at 5:00 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Edited Jan. 24, 2022 at 5:05 p.m.

If the Sharks can keep Hertl but begin moving some pieces out (like Labanc, Simek, float Balcers (hes been good tho)) - it'll be very interesting to watch the Sharks offseason/ camp next year. There is gonna be a lot of prospects looking at NHL roster spots next year. A best case scenario for me is:

Eklund - Hertl - Meier (a legit top NHL line)
Dahlen - Couture - Barabanov
Gregor - Bordeleau/ Bonino - Bordeleau/ Bonino
Raska/ Coe - Weatherby - Balcers/ Ozzy

Ferraro - Burns
Middleton - Karlsson
Knyzhov - Merkley
Hatakka

Reimer - Hill

But I'm very interested in following Gushchins transition to pro hockey, a kid whos idol is Datsyuk; with his hands, he can actually pay homage to that idol.
zk97, BuFfaLOFaN, MatthewsFan and 1 other person liked this.
Jan. 25, 2022 at 8:10 a.m.
So far I’ve just had VAN/PIT swapped and BOS/WSH swapped. Pretty decent so far. I wonder what my biggest miss will be. My guess is probably one of Calgary/Edmonton/Winnipeg, I think I might overrate them a little based on really liking the top 3-5 prospects.

You number 5 just got ranked 17th...
Jan. 25, 2022 at 8:10 a.m.

And 17 is more crazy...
Jan. 25, 2022 at 9:08 a.m.
Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN
You number 5 just got ranked 17th...

Well a decent amount of Ottawa's good prospects have graduated but that's a bit low
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Jan. 25, 2022 at 11:04 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

Eligible for the 2022 NHL Draft, Daniel Hauser sets a new CHL record for games started in a career without a regulation loss. Hauser went 20-0-2 before suffering his first regulation loss this past Saturday in Saskatoon. Through 16 games, Hauser sports a 13-1-1 record, 2.18 goals against average, .913 save percentage and three shutouts.
BuFfaLOFaN, AndrewLadd, capsfan2121 and 1 other person liked this.
Jan. 25, 2022 at 1:38 p.m.
Edited Jan. 25, 2022 at 2:11 p.m.
Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN
And 17 is more crazy...

Well a decent amount of Ottawa's good prospects have graduated but that's a bit low

Honestly it’s pretty unbelievable. Sanderson is a top 3 prospect in the sport, and I’d take him alone over the entire prospect pool of some teams that have yet to be posted. Brannstrom is a 2nd pair D today with the right partner, Greig looks like a 3C at worst, JBD/Thomson look like they’re on track to be top 4 guys, and there’s also Sokolov/Jarventie/Boucher/Kleven/Sogaard. I can see them maybe being a little lower than 5, but I’m really confused by this. Like York/Frost vs. Brannstrom/Grieg seems pretty close but then Sanderson beats everything else on his own, and I would still prefer Ottawa’s prospect pool to Philly’s without him. Several other prospect pools I reckon Sanderson has a significant edge at #1, #2-4 might be a slight edge to the other team, and then Ottawa’s #5 onwards is still better. Even with a terrible 2021 draft and several graduates.
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Jan. 25, 2022 at 5:45 p.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Honestly it’s pretty unbelievable. Sanderson is a top 3 prospect in the sport, and I’d take him alone over the entire prospect pool of some teams that have yet to be posted. Brannstrom is a 2nd pair D today with the right partner, Greig looks like a 3C at worst, JBD/Thomson look like they’re on track to be top 4 guys, and there’s also Sokolov/Jarventie/Boucher/Kleven/Sogaard. I can see them maybe being a little lower than 5, but I’m really confused by this. Like York/Frost vs. Brannstrom/Grieg seems pretty close but then Sanderson beats everything else on his own, and I would still prefer Ottawa’s prospect pool to Philly’s without him. Several other prospect pools I reckon Sanderson has a significant edge at #1, #2-4 might be a slight edge to the other team, and then Ottawa’s #5 onwards is still better. Even with a terrible 2021 draft and several graduates.

Sanderson is good, but I feel like your really overrating him
capsfan2121 liked this.
Jan. 25, 2022 at 5:56 p.m.
Quoting: AndrewLadd
Sanderson is good, but I feel like your really overrating him

Not really. If anything top 3 outside the NHL is underrating him. Among guys that are still classified as prospects by Wheeler’s rules, Sanderson was #2 on Pronman’s U23 list of all players behind only Power. He was in Tier 3, and the highest ranked of the 3 prospects there (Luke Hughes and Byfield were the other two in Tier 3, and Power was in Tier 2). He’s always been excellent defensively, and is now putting up Makar-esque offensive numbers this year to go with it, on top of being big and an excellent skater. I really think he’s the complete package, future #1 D, and there aren’t many teams that can claim to have a prospect that will be as impactful as Sanderson, and certainly not 16 teams. Like I said, I wouldn’t trade Sanderson for all of Philadelphia’s prospects, so I really don’t see how their prospect pool could possibly be better than Ottawa’s, especially because there’s still excellent depth in the Sens pipeline, even if most of the stars have graduated.
Jan. 25, 2022 at 6:39 p.m.
If the Habs pick 2nd or 3rd overall I wonder if they pick Nemec instead of one of the forwards.
Saskleaf and capsfan2121 liked this.
Jan. 25, 2022 at 6:45 p.m.
Quoting: Db1899
If the Habs pick 2nd or 3rd overall I wonder if they pick Nemec instead of one of the forwards.

At 2 assuming Wright goes 1, it's Nemec or whoever we like more between Savoie and Cooley, we need centers and RD's
Jan. 25, 2022 at 7:07 p.m.
At 2 assuming Wright goes 1, it's Nemec or whoever we like more between Savoie and Cooley, we need centers and RD's

I’m starting to think Nemec is BPA at 2. He’s having an incredible season. Habs can build around suzuki, caufield, and Nemec
capsfan2121 and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Jan. 25, 2022 at 7:11 p.m.
I’m starting to think Nemec is BPA at 2. He’s having an incredible season. Habs can build around suzuki, caufield, and Nemec

With the way this draft class is, there's not exactly BPA's just players of close to equal talent with different positions, like Wright, Nemec, Savoie, Cooley, Kemell, Yurov, Lambert, Jiricek, Slafkovsky, Miro ( if someone doesn't see the flags/reallllllly like the upside ) I could all see going top 5
Db1899 liked this.
Jan. 25, 2022 at 7:33 p.m.

That wouldn’t be too surprising tbh. I think that after Wrightt at 1, the next 3 players off the board are going to be Cooley, Nemec, and Savoie, probably in that order as it stands. I could see Savoie at 2 if a team believes he will be a centre in the NHL, but right now Cooley looks like the #2 centre available and Savoie projects as an NHL winger according to a lot of scouting reports I’ve read (a high end, skilled winger for sure, but centres are more valuable). Regardless I think Nemec goes top 3, I wouldn’t be surprised if the best two centres and best D (especially best RD) are the first 3 off the board (it happened last year, it happened in 2014 and 2017, the first two Cs and best D were off the board in the top 4 in 2019 and 2013, etc.). I think Nemec is probably the best pick for them (especially if Cooley is gone), but I really wouldn’t be surprised if they took Savoie, because he has a French name and the draft is in Montreal, and then just try to develop him as their future 1C.
Db1899 liked this.
Jan. 26, 2022 at 8:58 a.m.
Well my prediction that I overrated some Canadian prospect pools has come to pass as both the Oilers and Flames have shown up, I wonder if Winnipeg will be next lol. The Flyers are still inexplicably absent, and I get more sour on their prospect pool with every passing day out of spite.
NoVaSpartan, TZ11, BuFfaLOFaN and 2 others liked this.
Jan. 26, 2022 at 7:06 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Wheelers Top Prospect Pools

32. Seattle - Basement
New York Isles - Limbo
Tampa - Cup Contender
Pittsburgh - Playoff Contender
— these 4 I firmly agree with. The Isles have Raty, Seattle has Beniers, Tampa has Hugo, Pitt has Poulin. Some names but barebones after that.

Vancouver - Limbo
Boston - Playoff Contender
Washington - Playoff Contender
Chicago - Basement (not a good look to be here)
St Louis - Playoff Contender
Florida - Cup Contender
Vegas - Cup Contender
Colorado - Cup Contender
— I agree with most of these. All have some good names and kids but slim pickings. The standout teams at this point are the Isles, Chicago, and Vancouver. Chicago is just a dumpster, but VAN isn’t good or “bad” (they’re bad tho but you get what I mean lol) and their pool is weak, the Isles are the same. Not great situations but manageable. Every other team are contenders (or previous cup contenders like Pitt) or basement dwellers. Chicago I highlight the most here - this is a poverty franchise.

20. Arizona - Actually Tanking
Edmonton - Playoff Hopefuls (lmao)
New York Rags - Playoff Contender
Ottawa - Basement
16. Calgary - Playoff Contenders
— Arizona, flat out tanking is going heavy on this draft so they will shoot you (if they make good selections), but Ottawa didn’t make good selections last draft and fell hard. Maybe it’s a bit aggressive of Wheeler but I slightly (only slightly) agree with it. Calgary has some great pieces (Coronato 🔥) and they’re a contender who needs to right their ship and get back into a form position. Meanwhile the Rags are riding Igor and their PP to death (but into a firm playoff spot) but they have some good pieces outside to be happy with. Meanwhile Edmonton despite having a strong prospect pool, has said they won’t be willing to trade their top prospects… which is idiotic imo with how expendable their prospects are (and they have plenty of decent guys).

Will be updating this later as he goes along.

WHOS LEFT?
San Jose
LA
Anaheim
Toronto
Detroit
Buffalo
Montreal
Carolina
Columbus
Devils
Philadelphia
Nashville
Minnesota
Dallas
Winnipeg
capsfan2121, Saskleaf, zk97 and 2 others liked this.
Jan. 26, 2022 at 7:40 p.m.
v5 CBJ GM
Quoting: yikes

32. Seattle - Basement
New York Isles - Limbo
Tampa - Cup Contender
— these 4 I firmly agree with. The Isles have Raty, Seattle has Beniers, Tampa has Hugo, Pitt has Poulin. Some names but barebones after that.

Vancouver - Limbo
Florida - Cup Contender
Vegas - Cup Contender
Colorado - Cup Contender
— I agree with most of these. All have some good names and kids but slim pickings. The standout teams at this point are the Isles, Chicago, and Vancouver. Chicago is just a dumpster, but VAN isn’t good or “bad” (they’re bad tho but you get what I mean lol) and their pool is weak, the Isles are the same. Not great situations but manageable. Every other team are contenders (or previous cup contenders like Pitt) or basement dwellers. Chicago I highlight the most here - this is a poverty franchise.

Ottawa - Basement
— Arizona, flat out tanking is going heavy on this draft so they will shoot you (if they make good selections), but Ottawa didn’t make good selections last draft and fell hard. Maybe it’s a bit aggressive of Wheeler but I slightly (only slightly) agree with it. Calgary has some great pieces (Coronato 🔥) and they’re a contender who needs to right their ship and get back into a form position. Meanwhile the Rags are riding Igor and their PP to death (but into a firm playoff spot) but they have some good pieces outside to be happy with. Meanwhile Edmonton despite having a strong prospect pool, has said they won’t be willing to trade their top prospects… which is idiotic imo with how expendable their prospects are (and they have plenty of decent guys).

WHOS LEFT?
San Jose
LA
Anaheim
Toronto
Detroit
Buffalo
Montreal
Carolina
Columbus
Devils
Philadelphia
Nashville
Minnesota
Dallas
Winnipeg

14a.jpg
Saskleaf, A_Habs_fan, EsoYeezus69 and 3 others liked this.
Jan. 27, 2022 at 6:54 a.m.
Speak of the Devil

6 Foot 8 goalie??? Damn
Jan. 27, 2022 at 6:54 a.m.
Speak of the Devil
Quoting: yikes

32. Seattle - Basement
New York Isles - Limbo
Tampa - Cup Contender

Vancouver - Limbo
Florida - Cup Contender
Vegas - Cup Contender
Colorado - Cup Contender

Ottawa - Basement

WHOS LEFT?
San Jose
LA
Anaheim
Toronto
Detroit
Buffalo
Montreal
Carolina
Columbus
Devils
Philadelphia