SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Prospect Discussion Thread

Nov. 11, 2021 at 8:19 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Michkov might be under a KHL contract though which could restrict his ability to come over

Edit: I do also agree that most prospects should be able to develop in the AHL or elsewhere before reaching the NHL but there are of course exceptions to that

K i checked he has an NHL out clause should he be drafted in 2023 that comes into effect in 2024. But if he decides to continue his deal it ends in 2026

So the earliest he can join is 2024 but I think its safe to assume he will do what Kaprizov did and come once his KHL deal is done.
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Nov. 11, 2021 at 8:20 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
K i checked he has an NHL out clause should he be drafted in 2023 that comes into effect in 2024. But if he decides to continue his deal it ends in 2026

That may affect his draft stock, if Michkov stays in the K until 2026, even though he's super talented, teams may pass on his for someone with a more immediate impact and still a good ceiling
yikes liked this.
Nov. 11, 2021 at 9:28 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
Call me crazy, but I don't think there's any player from the upcoming draft class I'd be in a hurry to rush to the NHL, even Wright.

I'm a firm believer in NHLe being a strong indicator, not necessarily an end-all-be-all metric, of an undrafted prospect's potential. Using NHLe, Wright doesn't appear to be anything profoundly special, at least not yet. Shane Wright projects to an NHLe of 34.484 points per 82GP.

Looking at the NHe for previous first-overall forwards in their first season and their actual production, we see:
Lafreniere - 48.591 points per 82GP (30.750pts / 82GP actual)
Hughes - 32.374 points per 82GP (28.230pts / 82GP actual)
Hischer - 36.077 points per 82GP (52pts / 82GP actual)
Matthews - 53.596 points per 82GP (69pts / 82GP actual)
McDavid - 64.084 points per 82GP (87.467pts / 82GP actual)

and should expect Wright to fall between with the likes of Hughes and Hischier more than in the camp with McDavid and Matthews. Many people believed Hughes wasn't ready, should Wright be expected to be ready?

Considering the unspectacular debuts for many players recently selected within the top-3 of their draft class and the most-likely teams Wright would end up on (ARI, MON, CHI, OTT, and SEA total to 66.9% or about two-thirds), I think any team looking to call Shane's name first overall at this upcoming draft - possibly with Chicago and Ottawa being the exceptions - I wouldn't rush Wright in the NHL beyond his 9 games to start the season. Between the quality of teammates he would be forced to play alongside and likely getting hammered by quality of opposition, giving Wright the extra year to develop alongside his peers or in Europe makes a lot more sense to me.

The NHL and AHL really need to work out some other system for the CHL age agreement. The transfer system is broken and disparages the top of every draft class.

Like this a lot, just going to talk on the final point.

There are players that would likely benefit from being able to play at the AHL level at 18 or 19 years old. Putting up over two points-per-game at the CHL level is impressive but it’s not necessarily the best thing for a prospect. But the catch 22 is the sustainability of the CHL and the three leagues. If teams were allowed to take their drafted players out of their junior team’s hands at will when they are hitting their peak junior hockey years, you strip them of the reason many fans are in the buildings. The CHL is dependant on gate revenue and people being in the building and in a typical year, they would feel the hit of losing a star.

Not sure what the right answer is, cause the NHL NEEDS the CHL to be prosperous as it sends the most players to the NHL.
A_Habs_fan, yikes and dilldoughs liked this.
Nov. 11, 2021 at 9:38 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Nov. 11, 2021 at 9:54 p.m.
K we did potential modern draft steals for our teams so lets up the game

Undrafted modern prospects who your team signed and are looking like a steal (basically was not drafted and has looked solid in your team's system)

For Toronto got to go with Alex Steeves.

Still early but the kids got 5 goals and an assist in 4 AHL games. His 2-way game is solid, his speed is pretty good, and his shot looks pretty good. And ironically the main reason he wasnt drafted was his skating but his skating has looked pretty good so far
Nov. 11, 2021 at 9:46 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Edited Nov. 11, 2021 at 9:54 p.m.

Undrafted modern prospects who your team signed and are looking like a steal (basically was not drafted and has looked solid in your team's system)

Still early but the kids got 5 goals and an assist in 4 AHL games. Not bad

Knyzhov - projects to be a 2nd pair ceiling two way D but that is a great; could become a version of Methot for Karlsson, a little less physical but a little more offence. When Knyzhov is playing well he is, not an exaggeration, a fantastic hockey player; and honestly last year he played well almost every single game that he was in. If he didn’t get injured and had a chance to play this year with Karlsson he woulda been a 2-3m x 4y extension.

However Middleton has basically brought this back full circle. He is just trying to be Methot. And it is working so far this year. And despite Karlsson and Middleton being out (soon coming back), Knyzhov is no where close and Middleton is basically gonna get 40-70 games of Karlsson without Knyzhov even getting a chance to play a minute. Knyzhov has a tough road ahead this year but he has high expectations for a reason.

Too top this all off, this kid came outta nowhere. I don’t think anyone covering/ inside the Sharks even knew his name let alone most of the NHL world and this kid comes in and earns a job on the 2nd pair and stays.
A_Habs_fan and aadoyle liked this.
Nov. 11, 2021 at 9:59 p.m.
There are 2 players in 2023 who I think can challenge that assumption. Bedard and Michkov who in my eyes are the next big thing and wont require any seasoning to make it to their respective teams. I think these two are gonna be huge (potential generational talent). Some people have them as the second coming of Crosby and Ovie which may be a stretch but it could very well happen. After all Michkov broke Ovie's record and Bedard got exceptional status at 14 years old. I think these 2 will basically be true #1 and #2 picks just like Matthews and Laine were back in 2016.

Like Laine and Matthews only Bedard and Michkov are both good as opposed to Matthews and Laine where there was only 1 good player drafted. More like McDavid and Eichel.
Nov. 11, 2021 at 11:24 p.m.
I make typos
I just gotta say it sucks when possibly your teams best prospect is injured, I was and still am so looking forward to all the highlight clips, stats, and just general talk for Dylan Holloway in his first season in Bako, they say he is going to be out till at least until December, one of the bones in his hand broken and apparently it takes a while to heal and they also have to be careful cuz the break can get worst if the hand is put under pressure
Nov. 11, 2021 at 11:45 p.m.
What prospect do you see becoming a steal for your team

Rn I got (Topi Niemela) for Toronto

Jamieson Rees
Nov. 12, 2021 at 4:41 a.m.
Edited Nov. 12, 2021 at 4:46 a.m.
Underrated prospects:
For Ottawa, I’m a big fan of Maxence Guenette. He was a 7th round flyer in 2019 who slipped a few rounds on draft day, but had some pedigree beforehand (5th overall pick in the QMJHL draft in 2017). He had a couple really nice seasons to end his career in the Q, earning a pro contract, and performed well in the Sens rookie camp. He’s very solid all-around, good at moving the puck, and responsible defensively. Not flashy by any means, but as a big RHD I’m excited to see what he can do in the AHL. If he can become a solid, reliable 3rd pair guy after 2 or 3 years in Belleville that would be a huge win for a 7th round pick.

For Calgary, I’m not sure he counts as underrated anymore but Dustin Wolf is crazy good, what a steal in the 7th. I don’t think the CHL gave out goalie of the year last year because the OHL didn’t play, but he won CHL goalie of the year the year prior, and coulda become only the 2nd guy ever to win back to back titles (the other was Carter Hart). He did win WHL goalie of the year back to back.

I also like Simon Knak from Nashville, he’s a Swiss player and I really liked his game at the WJC despite playing on a mediocre team. I’ll probably talk about some more Flames/Sens prospects on here eventually but these were the first two that came to mind, a couple nice pickups in the 7th round.
MatthewsFan liked this.
Nov. 12, 2021 at 5:06 a.m.

Still early but the kids got 5 goals and an assist in 4 AHL games. His 2-way game is solid, his speed is pretty good, and his shot looks pretty good. And ironically the main reason he wasnt drafted was his skating but his skating has looked pretty good so far

Calgary has a few undrafted free agent signings that look really good.

Connor Mackey is an excellent puck-mover who has been great in Stockton. The organization is super high on him, but we have a bit of a logjam at LD right now (Hanifin, Kylington, Zadorov, and Valimaki are ahead of him) so he’s just getting some AHL experience for now, which can’t hurt. Not totally sure what his ceiling is, put he could maybe be a 3LD PP2 guy next year.

We also signed a RD out of Sweden last year, Johannes Kinnvall. He’s a slick puck-mover who performed well in rookie camp this year and ran the power play,m. Unfortunately he’s injured right now, but he should be a big part of our AHL team once he’s healthy (bolstering an already solid team, Stockton’s been on fire to start the year).

Finally our college free agent signing this year was Walker Duehr, a big right shot power forward, who fits the mold of the type of player this organization has been dying for for years. I’m not saying he’s the next Iggy or anything but he’s been solid so far (couple goals in the AHL, recently earned a callup to the NHL but has yet to get in a game). I’m really hoping he cracks the team as a middle six RW, we could really use a player like him in our lineup if his skills are up to scratch. He’s an exciting guy to keep an eye on.

For the Sens, Parker Kelly was an undrafted signing and he’s turned out to be a very nice 4th line energy player. He’s not gonna bring much offense, but he’s been solid in that role, which is obviously more than you could hope for from an undrafted signing. He spent a few years marinating in the AHL but it’s nice to have a guy like that earn some NHL games out of the blue.
Nov. 12, 2021 at 10:29 a.m.
cautious optimism
Quoting: EsoYeezus69
Just a personal example, this year I’m playing Midget A hockey instead of High School. I’m entering Midget from Bantam so it’s a jump, just like Juniors to the Pro’s.

>eliteprospects covers both Bantam and Midget hockey

5txojj.jpg
EsoYeezus69, yikes, A_Habs_fan and 1 other person liked this.
Nov. 12, 2021 at 10:31 a.m.
Jinx god
Quoting: Bobcat205
>eliteprospects covers both Bantam and Midget hockey

5txojj.jpg

Sadly they only cover AAA, I play A/AA.
Bobcat205, yikes and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Nov. 12, 2021 at 10:36 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

Jake Christiansen (CLB) - Offensive minded defender who carries an above-average shot and solid puck-moving capabilities. Potential top-4 on the back end. Had a breakout year with Everett then signed with Columbus. 11 points in 10 games this year.

Brady Lyle (BOS) - Offense-minded defenseman with a heavy shot, good size (6-foot-3, 213 pounds) and a potent offensive skillset. Had a great year last year (14 points in 25 games) off to a slow start this year but it's early.

Daniil Miromanov (VGS) - started out as a RW when he played in the QMJHL (Acadie-Bathurst who then moved him to RD), played in the ECHL for the Kings then went back to the KHL. He is an offensive defenceman, but it is rare to see this kind of production from a player with such a huge frame. He has been able to produce in multiple leagues, and it all starts with his shot.
SevenLeg, A_Habs_fan and Bobcat205 liked this.
Nov. 12, 2021 at 10:42 a.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain

The Canadiens don't have many undrafted prospects, but Joël Teasdale is probably the only one with NHL upside, most likely 4th line upside. He's been slowed down by multiple injuries and didn't play for a year and a half (he's still injured right now). He was the CHL Memorial Cup MVP with the Rouyn-Noranda Huskies not so long ago.
A_Habs_fan, MatthewsFan and zk97 liked this.
Nov. 12, 2021 at 10:42 a.m.
Quoting: MatthewsFan
Jake Christiansen (CLB) - Offensive minded defender who carries an above-average shot and solid puck-moving capabilities. Potential top-4 on the back end. Had a breakout year with Everett then signed with Columbus. 11 points in 10 games this year.

Brady Lyle (BOS) - Offense-minded defenseman with a heavy shot, good size (6-foot-3, 213 pounds) and a potent offensive skillset. Had a great year last year (14 points in 25 games) off to a slow start this year but it's early.

Daniil Miromanov (VGS) - started out as a RW when he played in the QMJHL (Acadie-Bathurst who then moved him to RD), played in the ECHL for the Kings then went back to the KHL. He is an offensive defenceman, but it is rare to see this kind of production from a player with such a huge frame. He has been able to produce in multiple leagues, and it all starts with his shot.

I know Christiansen looks promising, doesn't have the highest ceiling imo, but looks close to NHL ready and will be a good bottom pairing guy
MatthewsFan liked this.
Nov. 12, 2021 at 10:49 a.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Edited Nov. 12, 2021 at 10:55 a.m.
One player that is often forgot about not only in his own organizations fan base but also the NHL is Lassi Thomson who just played 22 minutes last night in his first NHL game when the Sens only had FIVE Dmen playing in the game and he actually played very well. @alfie11 and @csick could talk more but that’s real exciting for the Sens. With Zub now MIA we could see Thomson stay longer and JBD may need to be called up or Guenette (Alfie11 just talked about)
csick, Alfie11 and MatthewsFan liked this.
Nov. 12, 2021 at 10:52 a.m.
KFTW
Quoting: yikes
One player that is often forgot about not only in his own organizations fan base but also the NHL is Lassi Thomson who just played 22 minutes last night in his first NHL game when the Sens only had FIVE Dmen playing in the game and he actually played very well. alfie11 and csick could talk more but that’s real exciting for the Sens. With Zub now MIA we could see Thomson stay longer and JBD may need to called up or Guenette (Alfie11 just talked about)

At this point I’m more concerned if there’s enough bodies to play the next few games haha. But yeah Lassi played great. Trent Mann said he was our most ready D prospect
Alfie11 liked this.
Nov. 12, 2021 at 10:57 a.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Quoting: csick
At this point I’m more concerned if there’s enough bodies to play the next few games haha. But yeah Lassi played great. Trent Mann said he was our most ready D prospect

Well I think the Sens just need to have their games delayed at this point. You don’t have an actual NHL team playing. The Sharks have played like 5 games now and the team despite picking up some wins is showing signs of fatigue/ just poor play because they can’t keep up with an AHL lineup/ entirely youth d core. The Sens have EVEN MORE players out than the Sharks so the Sens shouldn’t have to play this weekend and maybe more.
csick liked this.
Nov. 12, 2021 at 10:58 a.m.
KFTW
Well I think the Sens just need to have their games delayed at this point. You don’t have an actual NHL team playing. The Sharks have played like 5 games now and the team despite picking up some wins is showing signs of fatigue/ just poor play because they can’t keep up with an AHL lineup/ entirely youth d core. The Sens have EVEN MORE players out than the Sharks so the Sens shouldn’t have to play this weekend and maybe more.

I really want them to bottom this year. They could use another top forward prospect that is ready to step in right away
Nov. 12, 2021 at 11:04 a.m.
One player that is often forgot about not only in his own organizations fan base but also the NHL is Lassi Thomson who just played 22 minutes last night in his first NHL game when the Sens only had FIVE Dmen playing in the game and he actually played very well. alfie11 and csick could talk more but that’s real exciting for the Sens. With Zub now MIA we could see Thomson stay longer and JBD may need to called up or Guenette (Alfie11 just talked about)

I wasn’t able to watch the game last night, but Thomson has played his way back into being a very promising prospect with top 4 potential. Coming back to North America was the best thing for him, he had a very bad start to his D+2 year in Finland and was entering bust territory with how poorly he was playing, but he’s really rebounded in the AHL and looks poised to be a solid 2-way RD. Last night is probably more of an anomaly than what should be expected, but it gives a glimpse into his potential. He could make the team next year, him and JBD should be a nice competition in camp for 3RD. He’s a very good skater.

I really want them to bottom this year. They could use another top forward prospect that is ready to step in right away

I would kill for Joakim Kemell. Shane Wright would be okay too I suppose.
csick liked this.
Nov. 12, 2021 at 11:07 a.m.
KFTW
Quoting: Alfie11
I wasn’t able to watch the game last night, but Thomson has played his way back into being a very promising prospect with top 4 potential. Coming back to North America was the best thing for him, he had a very bad start to his D+2 year in Finland and was entering bust territory with how poorly he was playing, but he’s really rebounded in the AHL and looks poised to be a solid 2-way RD. Last night is probably more of an anomaly than what should be expected, but it gives a glimpse into his potential. He could make the team next year, him and JBD should be a nice competition in camp for 3RD. He’s a very good skater.

I would kill for Joakim Kemell. Shane Wright would be okay too I suppose.

I just have a feeling they’d pass on Kemell for Geekie lol. 6’4 215lbs centre at 17 year old, over a PPG in the WHL. I wouldn’t mind him as a pick , just would rather have Savoie or Kemell. But they’re both smaller guys
yikes and Alfie11 liked this.
Nov. 12, 2021 at 11:13 a.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
I just have a feeling they’d pass on Kemell for Geekie lol. 6’4 215lbs centre at 17 year old, over a PPG in the WHL. I wouldn’t mind him as a pick , just would rather have Savoie or Kemell. But they’re both smaller guys

Stutzle just needs a pure scorer imo. Like just someone who wants to fill the net.
csick liked this.
Nov. 12, 2021 at 11:14 a.m.
KFTW
Stutzle just needs a pure scorer imo. Like just someone who wants to fill the net.

He really does.
Nov. 12, 2021 at 11:14 a.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
He really does.

Could be Kemell tho he doesn’t give me that vibe. Maybe Ivan?
csick liked this.
Nov. 12, 2021 at 11:23 a.m.
KFTW
Could be Kemell tho he doesn’t give me that vibe. Maybe Ivan?

He has 12 goals in 16 games in Liga as a 17 year old. Button says he has them :

1) Wright
2) Kemell
3) Cooley

He’s not super high on Lambert , implying that he’s overrated and just too hyped up cuz he’s been on ppls radar for like 4 years

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll