Prospect Discussion Thread

Dec. 13, 2021 at 4:50 p.m.
HutsonNorlinderGuhle
YES YES YES STANKOVEN MADE IT

ZELLWEGER TOO YES YES YES
capsfan2121 and EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Dec. 13, 2021 at 5:10 p.m.
Tintin over 1122

zk97, MatthewsFan and Roysboy72 liked this.
Dec. 13, 2021 at 5:16 p.m.
v5 CBJ GM
Quoting: capsfan2121

some elite company there
capsfan2121, BuFfaLOFaN, MatthewsFan and 1 other person liked this.
Dec. 13, 2021 at 5:19 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Quoting: Zuki9797
some elite company there

How was jay when he was young
Roysboy72 liked this.
Dec. 13, 2021 at 5:20 p.m.
v5 CBJ GM
How was jay when he was young

not old enough to know tears of joy
Dec. 13, 2021 at 5:23 p.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain

capsfan2121, BeterChiarelli, MatthewsFan and 2 others liked this.
Dec. 13, 2021 at 5:25 p.m.
v5 CBJ GM
Quoting: SevenLeg

dylan larkin :O
capsfan2121 and Roysboy72 liked this.
Dec. 13, 2021 at 5:27 p.m.

Let's hope closest comparable doesn't apply to personality...
capsfan2121, SevenLeg and Roysboy72 liked this.
Dec. 13, 2021 at 8:53 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Dec. 13, 2021 at 9:05 p.m.

Im surprised he was cut as he was good with Bedard and Guenther

In general team Canada has been weirdly constructed this year. Not sure how I feel considering we got no right shot D lul
zk97 and Roysboy72 liked this.
Dec. 13, 2021 at 8:58 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Dec. 13, 2021 at 9:08 p.m.
Interesting development on the Amirov front Dubas is furious with recent events involving his KHL team

Apparently he is working on a way to get him out and with either the Marlies or another KHL team.

Still early but lets see how this develops
zk97 liked this.
Dec. 13, 2021 at 9:19 p.m.
HutsonNorlinderGuhle

this makes me sad

curious, did Ronan Seeley get cut earlier? Because he's not on the team as far as I know
capsfan2121 liked this.
Dec. 13, 2021 at 9:28 p.m.
Quoting: Remus
curious, did Ronan Seeley get cut earlier? Because he's not on the team as far as I know

He made the team, though who’s Seeley? Never heard of him before
capsfan2121 liked this.
Dec. 13, 2021 at 11:21 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
He made the team, though who’s Seeley? Never heard of him before

Seeley is one of the most frustrating players to play against since he always seems to be in the right place to disrupt the play. Elite skating speed, very smooth stride, and given how the Canes like the playe with a lot of pace, he is going to fit in nicely there. How he dropped to pick 208 is crazy. Honestly, nobody better at drafting then CAR
SevenLeg, zk97, capsfan2121 and 1 other person liked this.
Dec. 14, 2021 at 12:44 a.m.
I would've thought Lapierre would've made the cut, considering he's played on an NHL team and scored a goal. I guess that shows the incredible depth of draft eligible and pre-draft eligible player(s).
zk97, capsfan2121 and Roysboy72 liked this.
Dec. 14, 2021 at 11:35 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

Tough break for Aatu Räty. Will miss the World Juniors. Jukurit has postponed games and the team is in quarantine due to COVID.

Roni Karvinen will go as a replacement.
capsfan2121, A_Habs_fan and zk97 liked this.
Dec. 14, 2021 at 11:40 a.m.
Quoting: MatthewsFan

Tough break for Aatu Räty. Will miss the World Juniors. Jukurit has postponed games and the team is in quarantine due to COVID.

Roni Karvinen will go as a replacement.

Oof, seems like Raty isn't allowed to play at WJC lol
MatthewsFan liked this.
Dec. 14, 2021 at 11:47 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Oof, seems like Raty isn't allowed to play at WJC lol

I’d put Bordeleau in that company too. Just brutal luck

A_Habs_fan, zk97 and yikes liked this.
Dec. 14, 2021 at 1:46 p.m.
Big blow for Finland with Raty out. Hirvonen probably slides to 1C now, which gives Jarventie a shot to jump up to 1LW (Simontaival stays 1RW). Probably a bigger opportunity for Lambert too, he's probably guaranteed to play C now (I kinda hope they play him and Kemell on the same line, probably a solid 2nd line with someone like Koivunen or Kapanen).
zk97 liked this.
Dec. 14, 2021 at 8:21 p.m.
I'm about to check if Ottawa has all the right names for the prospect pyramid sheet, wish me luck, Ottawa has to be one of the teams with the most
zk97 liked this.
Dec. 14, 2021 at 10:52 p.m.
I'm about to check if Ottawa has all the right names for the prospect pyramid sheet, wish me luck, Ottawa has to be one of the teams with the most

Can you add the link to that to the initial post? I’m not sure where to find it anymore, I think it got lost a couple pages back. Also the descriptions of the tiers/what a prospect is if you don’t mind. You can get it to hyperlink by creating the link properly in a new post (the chainlink button), then copying the output and pasting it in via edit (because you don’t get the buttons when editing, but the code still works in an edit).

And yeah, Ottawa’s prospect pool is super deep lol, so many picks over the last few years.
Dec. 15, 2021 at 6:20 a.m.
Quoting: Alfie11
Can you add the link to that to the initial post? I’m not sure where to find it anymore, I think it got lost a couple pages back. Also the descriptions of the tiers/what a prospect is if you don’t mind. You can get it to hyperlink by creating the link properly in a new post (the chainlink button), then copying the output and pasting it in via edit (because you don’t get the buttons when editing, but the code still works in an edit).

And yeah, Ottawa’s prospect pool is super deep lol, so many picks over the last few years.

Actually Ottawa’s wasn’t too long to input, they have 19 players on their reserve list and 6 were ineligible, I’ll link it when I can and of course, when I’m done, there’ll be this huge post containing all the rules, the link though the rules are actually on the sheet
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Dec. 15, 2021 at 7:24 a.m.

Link

The first page of the sheet should hopefully answer your question on tiers and what's considered a prospect
Dec. 15, 2021 at 11:00 a.m.
For Sens prospects, I have a few proposals:

Sanderson B-->A
I legitimately think he's the best defenseman outside of the NHL right now, right up there with Power, and he's putting up crazy numbers on a significantly less stacked team. He's always been elite defensively, and this year he's showing that there's an element of offense to his game that makes him the complete package (his points per game in college both last year and this year are better than Makar's points per game in his DY+1/2 years). He's got elite skating, he's got the size, he's got the physicality, and from what I've seen (mostly last year's WJC) he very rarely makes mistakes and knows exactly when to step into the play (for example, in the gold medal game last year, he stepped up into the play and hit I believe Cozens, and that directly led to the USA's 2nd goal). This WJC will be very interesting, him vs. Power for best D outside the NHL is an underrated storyline imo, and I really think one of them is coming out with the best D of the tournament (all respect to Topi Niemela but I think he's #3, maybe he continues to improve and makes that conversation a 3-way storyline though, he'll definitely have the opportunity to step up on a Finnish team that just lost their 1C).

Pinto-->B or off the list
He's an NHLer now. If you want to keep him on the list though, he should be B Tier.
19-20: NCHC Rookie of the Year, led USA in scoring at the 2020 WJC
20-21: Top 3 in Hobey Baker voting, NCHC Player of the Year, NCHC Forward of the Year, NCHC Defensive Forward of the Year, Western Conference First Team all-conference, Western Conference regular season scoring leader
If those accolades don't convince you I don't know what will lol. With the chemistry shown by the Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson line, he's poised to be on a line with Stutzle long term, and I think that line is going to be our long term 1st line (Stutzle, Pinto, and literally whoever we draft in 2022, assuming it's a forward in the top 12, which is a pretty safe bet).

JBD and Thomson C-->B
I think both guys easily have top 4 upside. JBD has had success at every level (WJC gold as the ice team leader for Canada at the 2020 WJC, NCHC Defensive Defenseman of the Year last year, etc.), he's just a rock defensively, and masters every level before moving on. He's been pegged as the long term potential partner for Chabot for years and has done nothing to show that he won't eventually get there (maybe 1 more year in the AHL, 1 year on the 3rd pair, then he could step into the top 4 by 24-25, seems like a pretty reasonable projection with the potential to get there quicker). Thomson looked poor in Finland, but has really bounced back on track in his development in North America. He's been really good in the AHL, and has looked pretty good filling in at the NHL level as well (I believe he played 22 minutes in his first game lol). It's pretty reasonable to expect him to take a 2nd pair role in the next couple years. Future top 4 of Chabot-JBD / Sanderson-Thomson is entirely possible.

Guenette, Roger, Kastelic, Crookshank, Mandolese, Reinhardt EE-->D
Guenette and Roger I think both have the upside of being a 3RD. Crookshank has been hurut this year but he was near point-per-game as an AHL rookie last year, he's played himself up into fringe NHLer one day status. Kastelic fits the mold of a 4C perfectly and has been solid in the AHL, he'll probably be a fringe lineup guy in a couple years. Reinhardt is kinda in the same boat, plus I believe he had an impressive training camp this year so he has that going for him. Mandolese was QMJHL Goalie of the Year in 2020 and has been solid in the AHL this year for a middling Belleville team, he could probably be an NHL backup in like 2-3 years.

Engstrand D--->EE
Drafted as a double overager in the 5th round in 2020 and then hasn't been impressive in the SHL. Maybe he succeeds if he comes over to the AHL, but for now I don't think he really has an NHL future, he's just big but without even being physical.

If you want to move other guys down you could maybe bump Latimer from D to EE, he was fairly mediocre on Edmonton, but he does have 6 points in 4 games for Prince Albert after going the other way in the Guhle trade, so maybe opportunity was the only issue, he's one to keep an eye on at least. Johansson is point per game in the Swedish U20 league through 14 games but pointless in 12 SHL games so take that how you will. Probably another case of reserving judgment for now given he's only 18. He needs more play time. If the Sens really believe in him, I wouldn't be surprised if they try to bring him over to play in the AHL next year, and develop him under Troy Mann's watchful eye.

Thoughts? @csick @Claesson4Norris @sensonfire anything you guys have to add on these guys?
Dec. 15, 2021 at 11:10 a.m.

Sanderson B-->A
I legitimately think he's the best defenseman outside of the NHL right now, right up there with Power, and he's putting up crazy numbers on a significantly less stacked team. He's always been elite defensively, and this year he's showing that there's an element of offense to his game that makes him the complete package (his points per game in college both last year and this year are better than Makar's points per game in his DY+1/2 years). He's got elite skating, he's got the size, he's got the physicality, and from what I've seen (mostly last year's WJC) he very rarely makes mistakes and knows exactly when to step into the play (for example, in the gold medal game last year, he stepped up into the play and hit I believe Cozens, and that directly led to the USA's 2nd goal). This WJC will be very interesting, him vs. Power for best D outside the NHL is an underrated storyline imo, and I really think one of them is coming out with the best D of the tournament (all respect to Topi Niemela but I think he's #3, maybe he continues to improve and makes that conversation a 3-way storyline though, he'll definitely have the opportunity to step up on a Finnish team that just lost their 1C).

He's an NHLer now. If you want to keep him on the list though, he should be B Tier.
20-21: Top 3 in Hobey Baker voting, NCHC Player of the Year, NCHC Forward of the Year, NCHC Defensive Forward of the Year, Western Conference First Team all-conference, Western Conference regular season scoring leader
If those accolades don't convince you I don't know what will lol. With the chemistry shown by the Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson line, he's poised to be on a line with Stutzle long term, and I think that line is going to be our long term 1st line (Stutzle, Pinto, and literally whoever we draft in 2022, assuming it's a forward in the top 12, which is a pretty safe bet).

JBD and Thomson C-->B
I think both guys easily have top 4 upside. JBD has had success at every level (WJC gold as the ice team leader for Canada at the 2020 WJC, NCHC Defensive Defenseman of the Year last year, etc.), he's just a rock defensively, and masters every level before moving on. He's been pegged as the long term potential partner for Chabot for years and has done nothing to show that he won't eventually get there (maybe 1 more year in the AHL, 1 year on the 3rd pair, then he could step into the top 4 by 24-25, seems like a pretty reasonable projection with the potential to get there quicker). Thomson looked poor in Finland, but has really bounced back on track in his development in North America. He's been really good in the AHL, and has looked pretty good filling in at the NHL level as well (I believe he played 22 minutes in his first game lol). It's pretty reasonable to expect him to take a 2nd pair role in the next couple years. Future top 4 of Chabot-JBD / Sanderson-Thomson is entirely possible.

Guenette and Roger I think both have the upside of being a 3RD. Crookshank has been hurut this year but he was near point-per-game as an AHL rookie last year, he's played himself up into fringe NHLer one day status. Kastelic fits the mold of a 4C perfectly and has been solid in the AHL, he'll probably be a fringe lineup guy in a couple years. Reinhardt is kinda in the same boat, plus I believe he had an impressive training camp this year so he has that going for him. Mandolese was QMJHL Goalie of the Year in 2020 and has been solid in the AHL this year for a middling Belleville team, he could probably be an NHL backup in like 2-3 years.

Engstrand D--->EE
Drafted as a double overager in the 5th round in 2020 and then hasn't been impressive in the SHL. Maybe he succeeds if he comes over to the AHL, but for now I don't think he really has an NHL future, he's just big but without even being physical.

If you want to move other guys down you could maybe bump Latimer from D to EE, he was fairly mediocre on Edmonton, but he does have 6 points in 4 games for Prince Albert after going the other way in the Guhle trade, so maybe opportunity was the only issue, he's one to keep an eye on at least. Johansson is point per game in the Swedish U20 league through 14 games but pointless in 12 SHL games so take that how you will. Probably another case of reserving judgment for now given he's only 18. He needs more play time. If the Sens really believe in him, I wouldn't be surprised if they try to bring him over to play in the AHL next year, and develop him under Troy Mann's watchful eye.

Thoughts? csick Claesson4Norris sensonfire anything you guys have to add on these guys?

I've placed all of these on the comments/suggestion page, I'll look at them after I'm done inputting every team. Pinto will be off the list as soon as he plays 41 NHL games as he hasn't passed that yet. Of course, the more people who give opinions on the players, the higher likelihood they get moved around, this won't be just me looking at other suggestions, it should be everyone giving their input
Dec. 15, 2021 at 11:10 a.m.
KFTW

Sanderson B-->A

JBD and Thomson C-->B

Engstrand D--->EE

Thoughts? csick Claesson4Norris sensonfire anything you guys have to add on these guys?

I think Pinto should be A- and Sanderson A+. Pinto will be a 2 way 2C as his floor and Sanderson will be a #1D. Thomson and JBD will be top 4D men
Alfie11 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll