Forums/NHL Trades

(STL/TOR) - Clifford for future considerations

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Nov. 16, 2021 at 6:37 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: drewjenkins
Wow Lubas gives away another potential star in Future Considerations ???

And the son of former NHL superstar Past Considerations ???

Just to get another 5'8 softie like Kyle Clifford ???

What a joke the Leaves have become !!!

Another untradeable contract !!!

Lol, that made me laugh.
drewjenkins and Trickster liked this.
Nov. 16, 2021 at 7:17 p.m.
Nah.
Another trade involving top prospect Future Considerations.
Nov. 16, 2021 at 7:45 p.m.
sensonfire
Future Considerations.

AKA diddly squat.

Toronto wins.
Saskleaf liked this.
Nov. 16, 2021 at 8:03 p.m.
cautious optimism
Quoting: dopplsan
Another trade involving top prospect Future Considerations.

Seems like this site has a bad habit of not making his name a proper noun. Future Considerations is a generational talent, put some RESPECT on his name.
Saskleaf, dopplsan and NoVaSpartan liked this.
Nov. 16, 2021 at 8:09 p.m.
Lifelong Leafs Fan
Quoting: aadoyle
Ritchie, Simmonds, Clifford

The budget Broad Street Bullies tears of joy

Good. That’ll average out the Big 4, with their high cap hits and low hit totals.
Nov. 16, 2021 at 8:11 p.m.
Lifelong Leafs Fan
Quoting: draft_em_sign_em_trade_em
Why ?

If you had to bring back an ex Leaf, why not Komarov, at least he was well liked by the core players.

I know about $1 million difference.

Bringing back “Uncle Leo” would be awesome.
Nov. 16, 2021 at 8:11 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
St.Louis wins.

They get a roster spot and someone who won't take an AHL spot away from the young players

Toronto wins if he can prove he's a half decent 4th liner, which at this point is looking unlikely.

He cleared waivers. He wasn't taking up a roster spot.

And I don't get why having him push out young players in the ahl is a bigger concern than nhl depth. Nhl depth is far more important than worrying about 4th line ahlers.

So I don't really get how this can be viewed as a St. Louis win. It just can't, because one team gets a 4th line/ahl guy (with a buryable cap hit) and the other gets nothing.
Nov. 16, 2021 at 8:55 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: Saskleaf

And I don't get why having him push out young players in the ahl is a bigger concern than nhl depth. Nhl depth is far more important than worrying about 4th line ahlers.

So I don't really get how this can be viewed as a St. Louis win. It just can't, because one team gets a 4th line/ahl guy (with a buryable cap hit) and the other gets nothing.

- He's not going to be healthy scratched in the AHL. He will be playing over somebody else (likely younger than him) that has a chance of being an NHL player.

- His analytics prove that he's an awful 4th liner and very easily replaceable. He's not a good depth option at this point in his career. High chance literally any player in the AHL plays better than him.

- St.Louis gets an extra contract spot (flexibility if they want to sign/trade for someone) and their AHL team can focus on development/giving ice time to a younger player rather than playing someone near the end of their career.

Just my thought process. We can agree to disagree.
Nov. 16, 2021 at 8:59 p.m.
Go leafs go
- He's not going to be healthy scratched in the AHL. He will be playing over somebody else (likely younger than him) that has a chance of being an NHL player.

- His analytics prove that he's an awful 4th liner and very easily replaceable. He's not a good depth option at this point in his career. High chance literally any player in the AHL plays better than him.

- St.Louis gets an extra contract spot (flexibility if they want to sign/trade for someone) and their AHL team can focus on development/giving ice time to a younger player rather than playing someone near the end of their career.

Just my thought process. We can agree to disagree.

First of all, absolutely we can agree to disagree. I just don't really understand your view here.

He's not a high quality 4th liner, I agree.

But he's still a nice depth option who can provide some grit. You honestly are telling me that ahl 4th liners are better than him? Why do you think that?
Nov. 16, 2021 at 9:07 p.m.
Canes fan
Quoting: Bobcat205
He’s no longer Clifford The Big Blue Dog.

He’s now… Clifford the Big Maple Dog?

Wait till he comes back home to Carolina at the TDL to become Clifford The Big Red Dog like he should be tears of joy
Nov. 16, 2021 at 9:13 p.m.

It's a win for the Blue ownership and management.

You don't waste $1 million of cap space for a part time Nhler and you really don't want to pay $1.3 million in real cash for an Ahler, since he has a 1way contract.

And unlike you believe, Clifford not taking up a young player spot is important.

$1 million cap space is useful to have, come TDL.

Clifford is an Ontario boy for the Blues did the classy thing and sent him home, even if it is to play for the Marlies.

The Leafs win in what way ? 4th line toughness ? Gabriel was suppose to be that extra tough guy, 1/2 a million $ cheaper.

Dubas loses, other than looking slightly better getting Clifford back who he traded for.
Nov. 16, 2021 at 9:24 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I don't think so many understand the situation. If the Leafs had claimed him on waivers, they would had to place on the NHL club. Clifford cleared waivers so the Leafs traded for him, and put on waivers, he cleared again, so the he's a Marlie.
Leafs are in big trouble if they have so many injuries to their wingers, if they have to promote him to the Leafs. I suppose the Marlies needed a winger, so why not. He was raised nearby so maybe he can see his family more than if he was on the St Louis AHL team
Nov. 16, 2021 at 9:28 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer

You don't waste $1 million of cap space for a part time Nhler and you really don't want to pay $1.3 million in real cash for an Ahler, since he has a 1way contract.

And unlike you believe, Clifford not taking up a young player spot is important.

Clifford is an Ontario boy for the Blues did the classy thing and sent him home, even if it is to play for the Marlies.

The Leafs win in what way ? 4th line toughness ? Gabriel was suppose to be that extra tough guy, 1/2 a million $ cheaper.

Dubas loses, other than looking slightly better getting Clifford back who he traded for.

Clifford in the minors doesn't affect the Leafs cap at all. It just cost the Leafs ownership money. Maybe the Marlies are weak at forward was the reason for the acquisition, really nothing to do with the Leafs/
Saskleaf liked this.
Nov. 16, 2021 at 9:44 p.m.
v5 CBJ GM
hey i remmenebeber this dude
Nov. 16, 2021 at 9:46 p.m.
Smythe.over.Hart
Quoting: palhal
Clifford in the minors doesn't affect the Leafs cap at all. It just cost the Leafs ownership money. Maybe the Marlies are weak at forward was the reason for the acquisition, really nothing to do with the Leafs/

First of all, absolutely we can agree to disagree. I just don't really understand your view here.

But he's still a nice depth option who can provide some grit. You honestly are telling me that ahl 4th liners are better than him? Why do you think that?

Lol. It’s just another gotta hate it because it’s Toronto trade. Literally nothing else. Clifford costs nothing to the leafs. And takes a spot away from a Marlie? Dear god. What if he takes Marc Michaelis outta the lineup.
palhal, Saskleaf and Trickster liked this.
Nov. 16, 2021 at 9:51 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: faulkmydzingel
Lol. It’s just another gotta hate it because it’s Toronto trade. Literally nothing else. Clifford costs nothing to the leafs. And takes a spot away from a Marlie? Dear god. What if he takes Marc Michaelis outta the lineup.

Absolutely. If it was any other team, there would be no debate about who wins this trade.
Nov. 16, 2021 at 9:54 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: Dzinger18
Wait till he comes back home to Carolina at the TDL to become Clifford The Big Red Dog like he should be tears of joy

Then we can have Clifford cranking Mrazek again and have Aryes suit up for the leafs lol
Zinger liked this.
Nov. 16, 2021 at 10:03 p.m.
Go leafs go

Blues ownership saves 1 mil. Ok? Why has nobody ever used this argument before despite the fact that there are countless trades of which see a team dealing a cap hit of 1 mil or more to another team for no cap hit? 900k is a normal amount for a guy who is called up and down, but somehow when a player gets to 1 million it's to much for a guy who is sent up and down.

And can someone please just explain to me why taking an ahl 4th liner out of his ahl spot is a bad thing?!?! AHL 4th liners rarely play in the nhl. And if they do, it's in a similar role to Clifford's.
Nov. 17, 2021 at 5:53 a.m.
WentWughes

He's not a nice depth option though. He isn't an NHL player anymore, and takes bad penalties on top of it.

I think almost any AHL player would be better than him because of how bad his analytics are.
palhal liked this.
Nov. 17, 2021 at 7:11 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
He's not a nice depth option though. He isn't an NHL player anymore, and takes bad penalties on top of it.

I think almost any AHL player would be better than him because of how bad his analytics are.

IMO the only reason the Leafs acquired was for the forward depleted Marlies. If he is ever recalled to the Leafs, the Leafs would really have serious injury problems. Leafs have few Marlies that are NHL capable. Leafs best prospects are the injured Robertson and guys in the European leagues.
KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Nov. 17, 2021 at 8:10 a.m.
Bait Post Detector
"We're going to win so much that you're going to be sick and tired. You're going to say 'Please, Please Mr. Dubas, we're sick and tired of winning. Please let us have at least one loss. Its no longer exciting to win.' and I'm going to say, 'No way, we're going to keep winning, and I don't care if you like it or not'"

Kyle Dubas aka BIG DUB DUBAS
Nov. 17, 2021 at 8:39 a.m.
Go leafs go

Do you mind showing me a chart for him?
Nov. 17, 2021 at 8:50 a.m.
WentWughes
Do you mind showing me a chart for him?

This is playing sheltered 4th line minutes, so with more time, it will get even worse
Nov. 17, 2021 at 11:47 a.m.
Absolutely. If it was any other team, there would be no debate about who wins this trade.

Quoting: palhal

Quoting: faulkmydzingel

Umm...my point Stl, wins for do the classy thing and sending Clifford back home, rather than to their Ahl team.

And Stl. wins for saving $1.3 million (probably $1 million left now) in real cash.

And Leafs had Gabriel already to extra goon and Mrazek, so Dubas looks bad for bringing in a replacement goon over his big off season signing and I'm sure Petr isn't too happy to see Clifford, if he even remembers him after the concussion he received thanks to Clifford.
Nov. 17, 2021 at 1:12 p.m.
Smythe.over.Hart
Umm...my point Stl, wins for do the classy thing and sending Clifford back home, rather than to their Ahl team.

And Stl. wins for saving $1.3 million (probably $1 million left now) in real cash.

And Leafs had Gabriel already to extra goon and Mrazek, so Dubas looks bad for bringing in a replacement goon over his big off season signing and I'm sure Petr isn't too happy to see Clifford, if he even remembers him after the concussion he received thanks to Clifford.

Yeah that offseason signing by Dubas for Gabriel had us all creaming in our pants. Rivalled the Tavares signing.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit