SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Armchair-GM

Trading Getzlaf and Perry! .......AKA Rebuild Time!

Created by: Mr_cap
Team: 2017-18 Anaheim Ducks
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 18, 2017
Published: Mar. 18, 2017
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
*This is with their permission of waiving their NMC's. And the Ducks notify them that they are going in a rebuilding mode.*
Free Agent Signings
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$2,500,000
Trades
ANA
  1. Hayes, Jimmy
  2. Senyshyn, Zach
Additional Details:
This helps the Ducks with the expansion draft.

They get an exempt forward and a depth forward (mainly for cap space though).
ANA
  1. Coyle, Charlie
  2. Eriksson Ek, Joel
  3. 2018 1st round pick (MIN)
Additional Details:
This happens AFTER the expansion draft.

Ducks get a top prospect stud. A 1st line winger. And a 1st.

MIN
  1. Getzlaf, Ryan
Additional Details:
Wild get a franchise C (granted on the wrong end of his 30's, but he's still on of the best in the league).

Keeps their 'window' open longer with Getzlaf.

Wild can afford this because salary cap increases and they shed salary from the expansion draft (i.e Zucker or Scandella).
ANA
  1. Bjugstad, Nick
  2. Hunt, Dryden
  3. Jokinen, Jussi
  4. 2018 1st round pick (FLA)
  5. 2018 6th round pick (FLA)
Additional Details:
Ducks get a pretty good top-6 forward. Also get a decent bottom six forward for a year (for cap space sake). And a good prospect.
FLA
  1. Perry, Corey
Additional Details:
Panthers get a superstar RW (again, granted he's on his wrong end of his 30's, but they are on the uprise).
ANA
  1. Jenner, Boone
  2. Karlsson, William
Additional Details:
AFTER the expansion draft.

Ducks get two really good top-6 forwards.
CBJ
  1. Kesler, Ryan ($900,300 retained)
Additional Details:
Jackets get a second line C. One of the best defensive/faceoff forwards in the league. Him and Torts are buddies. Fits in the system perfectly.

Helps them get further into the playoffs and start contending.
ANA
  1. Ennis, Tyler
  2. Reinhart, Sam
Additional Details:
Ennis is in this deal to make salary work.
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$75,500,000$49,072,605$0$2,862,500$26,427,395

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
$2,463,139$2,463,139
RW, LW
UFA - 5
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$2,650,000$3M)
RW
UFA - 1
$3,200,000$3,200,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$2,900,000$2,900,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
C
UFA - 2
$670,000$670,000
RW
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C
UFA - 1
$2,050,000$2,050,000
C, RW
UFA - 4
$700,000$700,000
RW
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW
NTC
UFA - 1
$1,750,000$1,750,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,600,000$4,600,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$900,000$900,000
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$2,437,500$2,437,500
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$2,300,000$2,300,000
G
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
RD
UFA - 1
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LD
UFA - 1
$825,000$825,000
RD
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
G
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$3,700,000$3,700,000
RD
UFA - 4

Special Teams

Power Play 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 18, 2017 at 4:35 p.m.
Banned
I wouldn't do this if I was any of those teams.
Mar. 18, 2017 at 4:42 p.m.
Banned
Yeah too bad that Kesler, Perry and Getzlaf all have NMC those guys aren't going anywhere.
Mar. 18, 2017 at 4:43 p.m.
Getzlaf is very solid, and has many good years left, and would really help the wild, but the wild will have to resign Granlund and Nino this summer, so taking on the Getzlaf contract would be difficult, even with losing Coyle and Scandella contracts
Hard to say what trading Getzlaf and Perry would look like
Also if I'm the ducks GM and am rebuilding, I don't trade LIndholm smile
Mar. 18, 2017 at 4:53 p.m.
columbus & wild do have cap problems why bother making a series of trades with nmc players who are not leaving LA.
Mar. 18, 2017 at 4:56 p.m.
NBABound
Quoting: Larkinisking
Yeah too bad that Kesler, Perry and Getzlaf all have NMC those guys aren't going anywhere.

It clearly says in the description that IF they waived.
graderman liked this.
Mar. 18, 2017 at 4:56 p.m.
NBABound
Quoting: jccamps18
Getzlaf is very solid, and has many good years left, and would really help the wild, but the wild will have to resign Granlund and Nino this summer, so taking on the Getzlaf contract would be difficult, even with losing Coyle and Scandella contracts
Hard to say what trading Getzlaf and Perry would look like
Also if I'm the ducks GM and am rebuilding, I don't trade LIndholm smile

True, yeah I wouldn't trade Lindholm either but this was just showing what his return would be.
Mar. 18, 2017 at 4:59 p.m.
NBABound
Quoting: clark
columbus & wild do have cap problems why bother making a series of trades with nmc players who are not leaving LA.

Read the description.

Also Getzlaf is from Ontario. So I don't think he would mind the cold. Kesler on the other hand played in Vancouver and has a relationship (I think) with Torts.
Mar. 18, 2017 at 5:02 p.m.
Banned
getzlaf is from Saskatchewan not Ontario.
Mar. 18, 2017 at 5:05 p.m.
NBABound
Quoting: DirtyDangles
getzlaf is from Saskatchewan not Ontario.

Oh oops my bad. Perry is from Ontario.
Mar. 18, 2017 at 5:48 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Mr_cap
Quoting: Larkinisking

It clearly says in the description that IF they waived.

Yeah and we all know they wont, Both Getzlaf and Perry love playing in Anaheim and Kesler left Vancouver and chose to go to Anaheim no way are those guys going to waive their NMC. Minny can't afford Perry and i doubt Columbus could afford Kesler either.
Mar. 18, 2017 at 6:04 p.m.
Congrats, you made the team worse, even if it were trying to rebuild......

Realistically though, in what world would this team want to rebuild? They are stacked for a long time and have good depth at all levels. Its like saying "Lets see what a Pittsburgh rebuild would look like with trading Crosby and Malkin"....... Its kind of pointless.

Rebuilds are for teams that need to reset. Anaheim is just getting started and Perry and Getszaf are aging just fine. They aren't their mid 20's selves but they are still really good.
Mar. 18, 2017 at 6:54 p.m.
This makes no sense for any of the other teams
Mar. 18, 2017 at 7:28 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
i wouldn't call Perry a superstar.
Mar. 18, 2017 at 7:37 p.m.
NBABound
You guys make me laugh...

"If this was realistic". This obviously isn't.

55a939f6d301485dd75e3d30ecff7345e8edfced
Mar. 18, 2017 at 7:40 p.m.
NBABound
Quoting: phillyjabroni

Explain to me how it wouldn't make sense to any of the other teams?

Boston: Needs another offensive forward
Minnesota: Needs a 1C
Florida: Needs a little of everything (granted Perry isn't a little so to speak). Offensive winger, and Goalie
Columbus: Needs another C that can play exactly like their style
Buffalo: Needs another big time Dman

Doesn't look like you know what you are talking about. Like at all.
Mar. 18, 2017 at 8:27 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: phillyjabroni

Explain to me how it wouldn't make sense to any of the other teams?

Boston: Needs another offensive forward
Minnesota: Needs a 1C
Florida: Needs a little of everything (granted Perry isn't a little so to speak). Offensive winger, and Goalie
Columbus: Needs another C that can play exactly like their style
Buffalo: Needs another big time Dman

Doesn't look like you know what you are talking about. Like at all.

That's a lot for Perry. I really wouldn't call Perry a superstar.
Mar. 18, 2017 at 11:56 p.m.
Perry and Getzlaf are good but they are far from superstars and both slowly declining. For an 8+ cap on those terms, you're not going to get anywhere near as much. The Wild trade is laughable in every regard given Coyle is a young and versatile forward who the Wild love and is signed to a ridiculously good contract, and JEE is proving that he could be a 1/2 C, so I don't see why they'd give up both of them PLUS a first for an aging centre who could possibly never get his footing in another city.
Perry getting all of that is a little more understandable, since Bjugy is having a down season and Jokinen is a larger cap at 4 mil, but I still think at the end of the day the Ducks won't get that first rounder, no matter how low it is, given Perry's cap and term, but that one is a little more understandable.
Kesler to Columbus is not gonna happen again for cap reasons, unless they take on another bad cap hit as well, since Atkinson is going to command a huge pay day and same with Werenski in a few years. Also, Silfverberg is a great young forward with OODLES of potential, and now that you're trading away all these NMC's (another major problem) why are you going to move him for 'expansion' reasons, and on top of that, who do you even LOSE in the expansion?
I don't see the need to move out LIndholm and I also am not sure that would really be the return for him. He's good, no doubt, but Reinhart is a great young forward I think Buffalo loves. It's possible.
Aside from that, you don't have to be argumentative and attacking in your replies to people, it'll bring out the trolls who'll pile on crap on top of you. At the end of the day, you've started a rebuild with a team not in need of one and you've gotten absolutely nothing for it. You've done more of a fragile restructuring that could backfire and force the team into a Maple Leaf-esque decades long rebuild. If you're gonna rebuild, commit to the picks and prospects, if you're gonna restructure, than commit to the younger guys at a higher value and strategic free agency signings (which you have not done)
Mar. 19, 2017 at 12:28 a.m.
NBABound
Quoting: BStone67
Perry and Getzlaf are good but they are far from superstars and both slowly declining. For an 8+ cap on those terms, you're not going to get anywhere near as much. The Wild trade is laughable in every regard given Coyle is a young and versatile forward who the Wild love and is signed to a ridiculously good contract, and JEE is proving that he could be a 1/2 C, so I don't see why they'd give up both of them PLUS a first for an aging centre who could possibly never get his footing in another city.
Perry getting all of that is a little more understandable, since Bjugy is having a down season and Jokinen is a larger cap at 4 mil, but I still think at the end of the day the Ducks won't get that first rounder, no matter how low it is, given Perry's cap and term, but that one is a little more understandable.
Kesler to Columbus is not gonna happen again for cap reasons, unless they take on another bad cap hit as well, since Atkinson is going to command a huge pay day and same with Werenski in a few years. Also, Silfverberg is a great young forward with OODLES of potential, and now that you're trading away all these NMC's (another major problem) why are you going to move him for 'expansion' reasons, and on top of that, who do you even LOSE in the expansion?
I don't see the need to move out LIndholm and I also am not sure that would really be the return for him. He's good, no doubt, but Reinhart is a great young forward I think Buffalo loves. It's possible.
Aside from that, you don't have to be argumentative and attacking in your replies to people, it'll bring out the trolls who'll pile on crap on top of you. At the end of the day, you've started a rebuild with a team not in need of one and you've gotten absolutely nothing for it. You've done more of a fragile restructuring that could backfire and force the team into a Maple Leaf-esque decades long rebuild. If you're gonna rebuild, commit to the picks and prospects, if you're gonna restructure, than commit to the younger guys at a higher value and strategic free agency signings (which you have not done)

The fact that you said all that aaannddd you're still wrong... is laughable. "Perry and Getzlaf are far from superstars"? In terms of points - Perry has had a down season, sure. But for Getzlaf who has 58 points in 64 is not considered a superstar (on a points level)? You have got to be downright crazy. Minnesota is a win now team. With Staal as your first line C, they won't win a cup. Having Getzlaf provides them with having that dominate C. Sure it might be much because you're giving up a large portion of your future but do you want to win today or tomorrow?

I undervalued Perry on that trade. So... you're STILL wrong.

Well seeming as though the Jackets receive 2 million back in salary, and since they will lose someone - might even lose Johnson. Hartnell could be gone (traded), and they shed 1 million from Korpikoski. I think it could work, but maybe you're right with this one where they have too many other players to worry about. Though Kesler would be perfect with Dubinsky.

Why am I going to move him? Uhh because he is going to get taken? What kind of dumb question is that? The Ducks could lose Hayes, Cogliano, Vermette, Ennis, Bieksa, or Bernier in this situation.

That would 100% be the return. Or it's Nylander and something else.

Commit to picks and prospects you say? ..You good? Clearly, I have done exactly that. Senyshyn, JEE, Coyle (he's still young), Hunt, Jenner, Karlsson, Reinhart, two 1sts and a 6th. Read the trades next time.

Sometimes I just don't care. cheers
Mar. 19, 2017 at 4:16 a.m.
Quoting: BStone67

The fact that you said all that aaannddd you're still wrong... is laughable. "Perry and Getzlaf are far from superstars"? In terms of points - Perry has had a down season, sure. But for Getzlaf who has 58 points in 64 is not considered a superstar (on a points level)? You have got to be downright crazy. Minnesota is a win now team. With Staal as your first line C, they won't win a cup. Having Getzlaf provides them with having that dominate C. Sure it might be much because you're giving up a large portion of your future but do you want to win today or tomorrow?

I undervalued Perry on that trade. So... you're STILL wrong.

Well seeming as though the Jackets receive 2 million back in salary, and since they will lose someone - might even lose Johnson. Hartnell could be gone (traded), and they shed 1 million from Korpikoski. I think it could work, but maybe you're right with this one where they have too many other players to worry about. Though Kesler would be perfect with Dubinsky.

Why am I going to move him? Uhh because he is going to get taken? What kind of dumb question is that? The Ducks could lose Hayes, Cogliano, Vermette, Ennis, Bieksa, or Bernier in this situation.

That would 100% be the return. Or it's Nylander and something else.

Commit to picks and prospects you say? ..You good? Clearly, I have done exactly that. Senyshyn, JEE, Coyle (he's still young), Hunt, Jenner, Karlsson, Reinhart, two 1sts and a 6th. Read the trades next time.

Sometimes I just don't care. cheers

Again, attacking in your replies.

Everyone agrees they aren't superstars and the fact they have been slowly going down just confirms it. At the end of the day, you made bad trades for some not so great prospects and some that were too much overvalue for what you were offering. Just because it looks good on paper, doesn't mean it works well with the team chemistry, the long term cap or even the mindset of the GMs.
- Minny would want to keep JEE and Coyle, possibly move out the first for a rental or a young player with a possibly good future. NOT an aging 'superstar' on the decline.
- Florida, with Jagr as one of their top 6 wingers, might be willing to take on Perry, since he isn't THAT old yet, but his cap still might be too much. You fail to realize just how much of a dealbreaker 8 MILLION DOLLARS CAN BE
- Kesler is having a great season this year, and is a superb two way forward, but before this year he was struggling and it could be the same way in a change of system again, even though he has history with Torts (whom a lot of former players seem to dislike).
- Uhhh why is he going to get taken? What is your protection list? There is permission from the league to make deals in order to protect players not on the protection list, but I asked why you couldn't protect him after moving these NMC contracts (WHERE THE PLAYERS WILL NOT WAIVE ANYWAYS). You didn't clarify when the Perry trade is made, so if you make that pre-expansion, that leaves you with the ability to PROTECT Silfverberg, given the fact that Bjugstad and Jokinen won't be taken either because of cap or struggling seasons, and Hunt is exempt. In this scenario, if you trade Perry pre-expansion, then you can protect SIlfverberg, Kesler, Getzlaf and Rakell, along with Lindholm, Vatanen, Manson and Fowler and Gibson in net. I also see value in trading Cogliano which is where you once again fail to truly understand the hockey world, since he's been a dominant two way forward who has found a scoring touch in recent years and is on a really good contract.
- I see who you got (even though most of it won't be feasible because you're asking way too much in the Minny trade) and I don't think it's that special. The Minny trade won't happen, and if it does, that's the only really good haul you got. Hunt and Senyshyn are B- prospects if not C prospects, was already let go from ANA a few years ago and will be a bottom six role forward, Jenner is proving to be more of a third line player, and lacks in defensive ability (although he does fit Carlyle's aggressive coaching mindset), Reinhart is good, but Buffalo won't let him go for that and don't dare cite the Hall-Larsson trade because that was a complete crap trade (also Nylander is NEVER leaving, if you're talking about WIlliam). You got two low firsts and a sixth which is usually more miss than hit unless you have an amazing scouting team.
End of the day, you were a jerk in your reply even though everyone says these trades are way out in looney land, and you're horrible and responding well to constructive criticism.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll