Forums/Armchair-GM

My guys

Created by: Prison_Goalie_Rick
Team: 2022-23 Columbus Blue Jackets
Initial Creation Date: Nov. 30, 2021
Published: Dec. 1, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Sillinger is going to be a really good NHL center, but not elite. Petterson is/can be elite. Laine is an elite scorer, but doesn’t play center, so his value is less the Pete’s. Woo has the potential to be a really good RHD, but not as high of a ceiling as Sillinger and also doesn’t play center. I think this trade balances out and is worth the risk to finally acquire an elite 1C that this franchise has never had.

Seattle needs some more offensively talented guys on the wing, but don’t want to marry themselves to term. Enter Gus Nyquist with one year at 4m. I think a year of Gus is worth about a 3rd, but some salary retention is affordable for one year and could get that pick upgraded to a 2nd.

Liam Foudy still has potential to be a good bottom-6 forward. Minnesota will need some cheaper players to make the most of their limited cap space after the Parise and Suter buyouts. They also can gain some cap room by moving Talbot on the last year of his deal. They can roll with Kappo in net, or sign a cheaper veteran.

Bemstrom has shown some serious flashes, but he is getting squeezed out of the lineup by Marchenko and Chinakov. Stenlund is big and smart, can play center or wing, and is decent depth player. Both guys seem destined for Europe if they can’t find some playing time in the NHL. Arizona is rebuilding and going to be trying to acquire some good young players with potential. Bemstrom is worth about a 3rd, Stenlund gets thrown in for the opportunity to compete for a spot on an NHL roster, and he boosts the value just enough to get a 2nd. This feels like a good trade for the pick to be conditional.

A Marchenko-Johnson-Chinakov line could be extremely offensively potent, and being the 3rd line can be shielded a bit and given 70-75% offensive zone starts.

Boone moves back to the wing, but centers the PP1 and PK2 to win face offs.

Folio Forsberg has been a man crush of mine since he was drafted. I wanted CBJ to take him No.2 overall instead of Murray. He always plays really well against the Jackets, which reminds me of how Panarin would always light it up against NYR, because he admired the team/organization and wanted to impress them. I know this is a stretch, but maybe he’d sign if CBJ ponied up the AAV and term. The deal would take him to age 34, but would be getting some of his best years.

The thought behind signing Russell is, he loved Columbus and Columbus loved him. Lots of guys who played in Columbus retire there, and this seems like a good fit. Also, he’s the all time shot blocker, and hopefully his mentality can rub off on Peeke. After the season he can retire and join the organization as a player development coach.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$925,000
2$925,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,000,000
4$2,650,000
2$950,000
2$800,000
2$800,000
2$900,000
8$9,000,000
2$900,000
2$1,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
7$8,000,000
1$1,000,000
Trades
CBJ
  1. 2023 2nd round pick (WPG)
SEA
  1. Nyquist, Gustav ($1,500,000 retained)
CBJ
  1. Talbot, Cam
  2. 2022 2nd round pick (MIN)
MIN
  1. Foudy, Liam
  2. 2023 7th round pick (CBJ)
CBJ
  1. 2024 2nd round pick (FLA)
Additional Details:
2024 2nd is conditional on Bemstrom and Stenlund playing in a combined 100 games in the 2023-24 season. If condition is not met, the pick becomes the lower of Arizona’s 2024 3rd rounders.
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$75,762,500$0$700,000$5,737,500

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
$8,000,000$8,000,000
LW
UFA - 8
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$7,350,000$7,350,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
$8,250,000$8,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$3,750,000$3,750,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$2,650,000$2,650,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$5,400,000$5,400,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$925,000$925,000
RW
RFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LW, C
RFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$700,000$700K)
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$1,600,000$1,600,000
LW
UFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,525,000$1,525,000
LW, C, RW
RFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$9,583,333$9,583,333
LD
UFA - 6
$2,333,333$2,333,333
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$5,400,000$5,400,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$2,800,000$2,800,000
LD
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
RFA - 3
$787,500$787,500
RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$3,666,667$3,666,667
G
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LD/RD
UFA
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$900,000$900,000
LD
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
RW
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 1, 2021 at 8:56 p.m.
I'm not sure I would give up a 2nd for Foudy, let alone on top of our starting goaltender.
Dec. 1, 2021 at 8:56 p.m.
The only way the Canucks trade Pettersson to Columbus is if Kent Johnson is part of the package the other way
Dec. 1, 2021 at 8:57 p.m.
That's a better offer value wise than most others I've seen, but the Canucks still decline. We already have Boeser as a right handed sniper so Laine wouldn't be in a position to be maximized fully here.

Werenski one for one probably doesn't work for either team.
Dec. 1, 2021 at 9:05 p.m.
Banned
So Minnesota gives up their starting G, much less a 2nd round pick for bottom line player Minnesota doesn't need when they have cheaper players in AHL. Minnesota says no. No, they aren't giving up their starting Good G to sign more expensive, worse one
Dec. 1, 2021 at 9:09 p.m.
All this is really not necessary.
Yes, the biggest problem CBJ has is down the middle.
They should keep Laine long term.
They need a bona fide scorer.
Keep Sillinger. He will be very solid 1/2 center.
Just remember how good Dubois was?
Keep in mind they sent Dubois back to Juniors his 1st year after being drafted. Then the year after that Dubois made the team and thrived in the NHL. Granted he did have Panarin for a couple years. But…
Next year Johnson will probably make the team out of camp. Another true center. They also may get a top tier draft pick from either their own or Chicago’s pick in 2022.
That will leave Sillinger, Jenner, Johnson and Kuraly/Roslovic down the middle.
Trade Foudy (he was overhyped by Torts).
Don’t resign Hofmann unless he improves to warrant it.

Top wingers in 2022…Laine, Voracek, Bjorkstrand and Domi/Nyquist.
Bottom wingers…Chinakhov, Marchenko, Robinson & Bemstrom.
Dec. 1, 2021 at 9:22 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
What do Jackets fans think Domi is worth?
Dec. 1, 2021 at 9:28 p.m.
A-toad-a-so
Quoting: CAPDumba
So Minnesota gives up their starting G, much less a 2nd round pick for bottom line player Minnesota doesn't need when they have cheaper players in AHL. Minnesota says no. No, they aren't giving up their starting Good G to sign more expensive, worse one

It’s not like Talbot is something stellar. .914 career Sv%. Not bad, but not impressive. Many netminders have done just as well behind that defense. Talbot isn’t special, and he’s money that could be moved out.

Who said anything about signing a more expensive option? Read the description. It’s a move to save them money.
Dec. 1, 2021 at 9:35 p.m.
A-toad-a-so
Edited Dec. 1, 2021 at 10:51 p.m.
Quoting: Bluejackets2000
All this is really not necessary.
Yes, the biggest problem CBJ has is down the middle.
They should keep Laine long term.
They need a bona fide scorer.
Keep Sillinger. He will be very solid 1/2 center.
Just remember how good Dubois was?
Keep in mind they sent Dubois back to Juniors his 1st year after being drafted. Then the year after that Dubois made the team and thrived in the NHL. Granted he did have Panarin for a couple years. But…
Next year Johnson will probably make the team out of camp. Another true center. They also may get a top tier draft pick from either their own or Chicago’s pick in 2022.
That will leave Sillinger, Jenner, Johnson and Kuraly/Roslovic down the middle.
Trade Foudy (he was overhyped by Torts).
Don’t resign Hofmann unless he improves to warrant it.

Top wingers in 2022…Laine, Voracek, Bjorkstrand and Domi/Nyquist.
Bottom wingers…Chinakhov, Marchenko, Robinson & Bemstrom.

Yeah, if we still had Dubois we wouldn’t need a 1C, but he’s gone. Sillinger ain’t Dubois. He is 5’10, 200lbs. His dads 5’10”, his brother is 5’10”, his grandpa is 5’10”. Dubois was a man child. Nothing against Sillinger, he’ll be a fine player, but he ain’t Dubois.

You gotta give to get. Laine is an elite scorer, we all know, but he is not a complete player by any stretch of the imagination. His value as an elite scorer is what it will take to land a 1C.

Johnson looks great! On the wing. I hope he’s our 1C too, but right now his ability to play center in the NHL is a complete unknown, and plenty of scouts think he’s a better wing already.
Dec. 1, 2021 at 10:02 p.m.
Quoting: pwisch17
Yeah, if we still had Dubois we would need to a 1C, but he’s gone. Sillinger ain’t Dubois. He is 5’10, 200lbs. His dads 5’10”, his brother is 5’10”, his grandpa is 5’10”. Dubois was a man child. Nothing against Sillinger, he’ll be a fine player, but he ain’t Dubois.

You gotta give to get. Laine is an elite scorer, we all know, but he is not a complete player by any stretch of the imagination. His value as an elite scorer is what it will take to land a 1C.

Johnson looks great! One the wing. I hope he’s our 1C too, but right now his ability to play center in the NHL is a complete unknown, and plenty of scouts think he’s a better wing already.

Ok, trade Laine and package including Marchenko or Bemstrom, but need to keep Sillinger. His maturity and compete level are what will set him apart, not his height.

I was thinking there was no way that the Jackets could land Shane Wright with the Chicago pick in 2022, since the condition is that if Chicago win either of the 2 lottery draws, they can keep the pick. Well, if Chicago finishes last in NHL (not likely, but possible), and doesn’t win either of the drawings (and the top pick drawing goes to a team below 10th, then the Jackets would land that top pick from Chicago and take Shane Wright.

Game changer. I think that would definitely lead to Bowman’s firing. And a new era in Columbus.
Dec. 1, 2021 at 10:22 p.m.
Hockey Fan13
Wallstedt will definitely have to be killing it for the Wild to consider this.
Wild would also need to be convinced Foudy could stick at center, even then though they may feel that Wild have better, cheaper in house options.
Prison_Goalie_Rick liked this.
Dec. 1, 2021 at 10:36 p.m.
Nah.
Ok, trade Laine and package including Marchenko or Bemstrom, but need to keep Sillinger. His maturity and compete level are what will set him apart, not his height.

I was thinking there was no way that the Jackets could land Shane Wright with the Chicago pick in 2022, since the condition is that if Chicago win either of the 2 lottery draws, they can keep the pick. Well, if Chicago finishes last in NHL (not likely, but possible), and doesn’t win either of the drawings (and the top pick drawing goes to a team below 10th, then the Jackets would land that top pick from Chicago and take Shane Wright.

Game changer. I think that would definitely lead to Bowman’s firing. And a new era in Columbus.

We’ve already gone over this - Capfriendly’s terms are incorrect. CHI keeps the pick if it is top two, straight up. https://www.nhl.com/news/seth-jones-traded-to-blackhawks-by-blue-jackets/c-325758614

Sillinger is listed at 6’0. And he’s 18. He’s going to grow a bit. Regardless, he’s not being moved - the team is immensely high on his potential.

I think VAN would be foolish to sell low on EP right now, and CBJ likely aren’t going to make a splash move without seeing what the draft holds - if CHI ends up with a Top 10 pick, I imagine they’ll be happy rolling the dice with what they have, particularly if their pick is in a similar range.

Foudy doesn’t have that much trade value on his own - he’s likely a sweetener add on to another trade. Bemstrom is likely the same, and Stenlund has little value - he’s gone through waivers twice now, and no team has claimed him.

I think the only trade of these that could happen is the Nyquist trade - even then, CBJ would have to retain the full 50%, most likely; but, I’d be down for that.
Prison_Goalie_Rick liked this.
Dec. 1, 2021 at 10:42 p.m.
A-toad-a-so

That’s an insane scenario to rely on as a counter argument. Also, it’s impossible as dopplsan pointed out. Also Bowman is already gone. Did you miss the whole sexual abuse cover up?
Dec. 1, 2021 at 10:43 p.m.
A-toad-a-so
Quoting: dopplsan
We’ve already gone over this - Capfriendly’s terms are incorrect. CHI keeps the pick if it is top two, straight up. https://www.nhl.com/news/seth-jones-traded-to-blackhawks-by-blue-jackets/c-325758614

Sillinger is listed at 6’0. And he’s 18. He’s going to grow a bit. Regardless, he’s not being moved - the team is immensely high on his potential.

I think VAN would be foolish to sell low on EP right now, and CBJ likely aren’t going to make a splash move without seeing what the draft holds - if CHI ends up with a Top 10 pick, I imagine they’ll be happy rolling the dice with what they have, particularly if their pick is in a similar range.

Foudy doesn’t have that much trade value on his own - he’s likely a sweetener add on to another trade. Bemstrom is likely the same, and Stenlund has little value - he’s gone through waivers twice now, and no team has claimed him.

I think the only trade of these that could happen is the Nyquist trade - even then, CBJ would have to retain the full 50%, most likely; but, I’d be down for that.

He’s listed as 6’0” but he’s shorter than everyone he stands nexts to. I think that’s a bit generous. And given his lineage, it is a much safer bet that he’s not getting taller. Height is not everything, and I’m high on him too, but he’s not Petterson. Elite center talent is needed to compete for cups. Sillinger isn’t going to be elite.
Dec. 1, 2021 at 10:48 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: pwisch17
It’s not like Talbot is something stellar. .914 career Sv%. Not bad, but not impressive. Many netminders have done just as well behind that defense. Talbot isn’t special, and he’s money that could be moved out. Many netminder? Please tell me who? Dubnyk, he literally wasn't goid. Who else? No one

Who said anything about signing a more expensive option? Read the description. It’s a move to save them money.

He may not be anything special, but he wins game fir Minnesota. Minnesota doesn't need to move out their cheap #1G to save money. If you watch Talbot,, you would actually know he's good. Save percentage isn't all rhe story. So no chance Minnesota is moving their #1G and 2nd round pick for a bottom line guy
Dec. 2, 2021 at 11:52 a.m.
A-toad-a-so
Quoting: CAPDumba
He may not be anything special, but he wins game fir Minnesota. Minnesota doesn't need to move out their cheap #1G to save money. If you watch Talbot,, you would actually know he's good. Save percentage isn't all rhe story. So no chance Minnesota is moving their #1G and 2nd round pick for a bottom line guy

So has Dubnyk, Kuemper, Stalock… they can sign an average NHL goaltender for less than 3.6m, and they will need to in order to extend guys and pay Parise and Suter to play against them.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll