SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021/2022 NHL Season Discussion Thread - #7

Dec. 4, 2021 at 2:40 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: yikes
p o v e r t y

and now Sens fans can't wait until he's shipped off to Russia after trying to throw it in our face that we lose him for nothing
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Dec. 4, 2021 at 2:42 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
and now Sens fans can't wait until he's shipped off to Russia after trying to throw it in our face that we lose him for nothing

He was a good claim but also a bad claim.

He played well and took a spot that shoulda been given to Brannstrom but now they see he’s just meh overall and he really shouldn’t be getting reps over Brannstrom. Brannstrom still needs developmental time but at the same time he’s never been given a leash and Mete took a lot of time that he shoulda seen. Brannstrom still has flashes of brilliance but he struggles overall and coulda used more time last year when games didn’t matter as much; instead Mete took that spot.

And now they didn’t claim Clague lmfao to probably keep playing Del Zotto, JBrown, Mete lmfao
KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Dec. 4, 2021 at 2:55 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: capsfan2121
I have an idea. What if Arizona relocated to Houston. They could use the astrodome for games and make that area of Houston a professional sports complex or something like this. Add stores, restaurants, and attractions to this area and then you got a nice hub of entertainment. I know the astrodome is huge so they can add stuff in it. I don’t know. Give me feedback

I mean there was a running gag here all last season where tons of us referred to the Coyotes as the Houston Coyotes.

I'd wager a lot of money that the league already has a plan to relocate the desert dogs to Houston and simply hasn't to save face with those currently in Arizona. I suspect the announcement goes live as soon as the season ends.
capsfan2121, EsoYeezus69, Saskleaf and 3 others liked this.
Dec. 4, 2021 at 2:58 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
I mean there was a running gag here all last season where tons of us referred to the Coyotes as the Houston Coyotes.

I'd wager a lot of money that the league already has a plan to relocate the desert dogs to Houston and simply hasn't to save face with those currently in Arizona. I suspect the announcement goes live as soon as the season ends.

Where would they play. Where the rockets play?
Dec. 4, 2021 at 3:03 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Where would they play. Where the rockets play?

I think the Toyota Center is probably the better bet yeah. A few of arenas across the league split their usage with the NBA - Scotiabank Arena and Staples Center to name two - and given the cost and time to build a new barn, it wouldn't fit the timeline of the Coyotes relocating as early as this offseason. it's not incredibly old either, only 18 years, so it should work fine. If memory serves correct, I think the Aeros played there until 2013.
capsfan2121 and aadoyle liked this.
Dec. 4, 2021 at 3:07 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
I think the Toyota Center is probably the better bet yeah. A few of arenas across the league split their usage with the NBA - Scotiabank Arena and Staples Center to name two - and given the cost and time to build a new barn, it wouldn't fit the timeline of the Coyotes relocating as early as this offseason. it's not incredibly old either, only 18 years, so it should work fine. If memory serves correct, I think the Aeros played there until 2013.

I was thinking the astrodome because it’s just sitting there. They could make that area into something really nice and a entertainment hub. But the toyota center makes more sense and is probably cheaper
Dec. 4, 2021 at 3:13 p.m.
What in tarnation

Good times, good times.
BeterChiarelli, capsfan2121, zk97 and 5 others liked this.
Dec. 4, 2021 at 3:20 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

Yep, honestly though even if not Houston they got plenty of options

Quebec has an arena, Saskatchewan apparently has an NHL qualified arena, Hartford has one, and there are many others

Good test to for Bettman to see what City could be worth exploring next expansion
capsfan2121 and Saskleaf liked this.
Dec. 4, 2021 at 3:20 p.m.
v5 CBJ GM
Malcolm Subban wearing 47
whats with goalies starting to use these funky numbers
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Dec. 4, 2021 at 3:24 p.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
Quoting: SevenLeg

First Gorton W

Makes it even better
A_Habs_fan, capsfan2121, zk97 and 3 others liked this.
Dec. 4, 2021 at 3:28 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: SevenLeg

Makes it even better

He makes sense for MTL as depending on the direction they go they will need guys to fill in spots and why rush your prospects when there is someone who can fill in
zk97 liked this.
Dec. 4, 2021 at 3:38 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: aadoyle

Quebec has an arena, Saskatchewan apparently has an NHL qualified arena, Hartford has one, and there are many others

Good test to for Bettman to see what City could be worth exploring next expansion

I don't think the Regina-Saskatoon corridor has the population to sustain an NHL franchise but I've long advocated at the AHL should have the Oilers' and Flames' farm teams in each city. The Oilers could have Saskatoon and the Flames, Regina and you could simulate the Battle of Alberta an entire province over. Quebec City and Hartford probably fall into this category as well, and I personally question the validity of a team in the Hamilton area until both the league becomes far more marketable and the Leafs suck again: you need a catalyst to cause a draw of fans to another Ontario-based team less you get another Ottawa Senators.

Houston and Milwaukee would be my priority targets. If you were to draw lines from the westernmost and easternmost points of Texas' borders and run them north into Canada, there's a region where there isn't much in the works for professional hockey team "representation" despite having some of the more notable NCAA teams. Granted, neither Houston or Milwaukee really fill that pocket of landmass, but there needs to be consideration for that unique blend of marketability and population.
capsfan2121, oilersguy and Saskleaf liked this.
Dec. 4, 2021 at 3:48 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
If Karlsson is still out, that works, if he is back, they're still 5mil short

He is supposed to be back in January. Maybe he does not come back till game 1 lul

Really surprised Vegas aint trying to slow Eichel down like Tampa did with Kucherov and get him back via game 1 of the playoffs

As in order to make it work should everyone return

Janmark, Smith, Carrier and one of Brooks or Amadio got to go. Allowing for a 21 man team

Or trade Dadanov too
Dec. 4, 2021 at 3:50 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
I don't think the Regina-Saskatoon corridor has the population to sustain an NHL franchise but I've long advocated at the AHL should have the Oilers' and Flames' farm teams in each city. The Oilers could have Saskatoon and the Flames, Regina and you could simulate the Battle of Alberta an entire province over. Quebec City and Hartford probably fall into this category as well, and I personally question the validity of a team in the Hamilton area until both the league becomes far more marketable and the Leafs suck again: you need a catalyst to cause a draw of fans to another Ontario-based team less you get another Ottawa Senators.

Houston and Milwaukee would be my priority targets. If you were to draw lines from the westernmost and easternmost points of Texas' borders and run them north into Canada, there's a region where there isn't much in the works for professional hockey team "representation" despite having some of the more notable NCAA teams. Granted, neither Houston or Milwaukee really fill that pocket of landmass, but there needs to be consideration for that unique blend of marketability and population.

Portland, Oregon is one of the largest markets, but the city has only one big-four franchise. The Rose Garden in Portland could house and NHL team.

Wisconsin maybe especially with the Bucks new arena.

Salt Lake City is a small market, but it is very much a winter-sports city.

Being a former maritimer I would love to see an NHL franchise in Atlantic Canada. Most likely Halifax.
BeterChiarelli liked this.
Dec. 4, 2021 at 3:51 p.m.
Quoting: MatthewsFan
Portland, Oregon is one of the largest markets, but the city has only one big-four franchise. The Rose Garden in Portland could house and NHL team.

Being a former maritimer I would love to see an NHL franchise in Atlantic Canada. Most likely Halifax.

Yeah, Halifax wouldn't be able to support an NHL team, let's be real, however AHL team would probably work
MatthewsFan and BeterChiarelli liked this.
Dec. 4, 2021 at 3:53 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Devil1122
Or trade Dadanov too

M-NTC harder to move than Smith who is up this year anyways
Dec. 4, 2021 at 3:54 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
I have an idea. What if Arizona relocated to Houston. They could use the astrodome for games and make that area of Houston a professional sports complex or something like this. Add stores, restaurants, and attractions to this area and then you got a nice hub of entertainment. I know the astrodome is huge so they can add stuff in it. I don’t know. Give me feedback

The Astrodome is 50+ years old and isn't suited for hockey. The Toyota Center is a much better option in my opinion
capsfan2121 liked this.
Dec. 4, 2021 at 4:03 p.m.
Speak of the Devil

These are the top 10 cities/areas with the best chances to get an NHL team in my opinion (no order)
Quebec City
Hartford
Halifax
Atlanta
Greater Toronto Area
Houston
Saskatchewan
Kansas City
Portland
Milwaukee
capsfan2121 liked this.
Dec. 4, 2021 at 4:03 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
The Astrodome is 50+ years old and isn't suited for hockey. The Toyota Center is a much better option in my opinion

I was thinking they could do something with the astrodome. Make it fit for a nhl team and make that area around it a professional sport center and a entertainment hub. Add stores restaurants and attractions then you have a nice center to go too. It’s just sitting there. Also they could use the nrg arena for a practice center.
Dec. 4, 2021 at 4:04 p.m.
I make typos
Quoting: Zuki9797
Malcolm Subban wearing 47
whats with goalies starting to use these funky numbers

nothing will ever look weirder on a goalies back then 19, I have no idea why Koskinen wears that number
Dec. 4, 2021 at 4:11 p.m.
v5 CBJ GM
Quoting: oilersguy
nothing will ever look weirder on a goalies back then 19, I have no idea why Koskinen wears that number

imagine a goalie wearing 99 lol
capsfan2121 and oilersguy liked this.
Dec. 4, 2021 at 4:13 p.m.
Ban Price trades
These are the top 10 cities/areas with the best chances to get an NHL team in my opinion (no order)
Quebec City
Hartford
Halifax
Atlanta
Greater Toronto Area
Houston
Saskatchewan
Kansas City
Portland
Milwaukee

I cannot for the life of me see the NHL try the Atlanta experiment for a third time. The Flames and Thrashers both failed in that market. Sometimes it doesn't work out. I'd cap them and every non-GTA Canadian market to an AHL team at max.

The Canadian dollar is never strong enough to justify putting more markets in Canada, especially as the population sizes aren't very large to begin with. These small markets already have a dedication to their CHL teams that there'd honestly be considerable competition with them for advertising rights and scheduling that I couldn't see anything more than NHL exhibition games being played in such cities.

I think Hartford and Kansas City are 50-50 shots honestly. They probably mix in well with places earlier mentioned like Salt Lake City and Wisconsin as "secondary" markets the NHL would explore after having filled the major population centers.

The odds are much more in favour for the GTA, Houston, Portland, and Milwaukee. If we assume that Arizona relocates to Houston, then there's only going to be room for one more of Hartford, Kansas, SLC, and Wisconsin in order for the league to maintain a league divisible by four or six (for divisions). In all likelihood, Hartford wins out to maintain an East-West balance and Nashville ends up a part of the Eastern Conference.
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Dec. 4, 2021 at 4:13 p.m.
I make typos
HUGE relief in Oil Country today as Darnell Nurse participated in practice and expected to be in line up for tomorrows game
Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Dec. 4, 2021 at 4:17 p.m.
Quoting: oilersguy
HUGE relief in Oil Country today as Darnell Nurse participated in practice and expected to be in line up for tomorrows game

LFG, one less injured player for my fantasy team
Dec. 4, 2021 at 5:11 p.m.
Go leafs go
Engvall getting traded or sent to the Marlies still doesn’t create enough cap space for a 22 man roster. The thing to keep in mind is the holiday roster freeze comes into effect Dec 19. The Leafs would have to send down one of Liljegren/Sandin to get both guys off LTIR.

That makes Dec 19 the deadline to make a trade if they want to keep both guys on the roster for the western road trip and the 2 games after Christmas.

IMO one of Ritchie / Dermott / Holl will be traded

Oh my bad. I though getting rid of Engvall cleared enough space for a 22 man roster.

It does clear a roster spot though.

At the end of the day it might have to be Holl.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll