Forums/Armchair-GM

Deadline - End of College Season

Created by: tmann10
Team: 2021-22 Minnesota Wild
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 1, 2021
Published: Dec. 7, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I know Rask comes off at the end of the year, but I just can't stand to have him on our team anymore. And I would love to make room for one of the young centers, in this case McBain (who is having a stellar season in the NCAA), who I believe can contribute in a way that Rask cannot.

Dont Think Guerin messes with this team too much. Feel like there is too much chemistry and camaraderie in that room to touch, unless things take a turn for the worse.

Lines according to Daily Faceoff (besides a few changes).
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
2$925,000
Trades
MIN
  1. 2023 4th round pick (BUF)
BUF
  1. Rask, Victor
  2. 2022 5th round pick (SJS)
  3. 2023 2nd round pick (MIN)
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$75,048,086$0$132,500$6,451,914

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$9,000,000$9,000,000
LW
UFA - 5
$1,700,000$1,700,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$3,100,000$3,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$2,100,000$2,100,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C
UFA - 8
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 3
$917,831$917,831
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,200,000$1,200,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$5,100,000$5,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$725,000$725,000
C
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 7
$7,575,000$7,575,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 6
$3,666,667$3,666,667
G
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NMC
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$725,000$725,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,125,000$1,125,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$925,000$925,000
C, LW
RFA - 2
$795,000$795,000 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
RD
RFA - 2
$900,000$900,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
Taxi Squad
$894,167$894,167 ($0$0$0$0)
C
RFA - 4
$894,167$894,167 ($0$0$0$0)
LW
RFA - 3
$880,833$880,833 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$600,000$600K)
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$825,833$825,833 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
LW, C
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 7, 2021 at 11:09 a.m.
IamAlwaysRight
Do you think Fiala gets moved?
Dec. 7, 2021 at 11:09 a.m.
I think it’s very unlikely the wild spend assets to move Rask. He’s proven that he can step in and be serviceable, even after long stretches of sitting in the press box. He’s not perfect, but he’s versatile enough to keep around. Plus we’re not desperate for his cap space.
TanSor, Lightman13, GophersBenJ and 2 others liked this.
Dec. 7, 2021 at 11:11 a.m.
Patient gm
As frustrating as rask is, this would be a horrible mis allocation of resources. If it was just a 5th to drop him or something- sure. But rask is also somehow very clutch as a scorer. No idea why he is but he is and that shouldn’t be discounted either.
TanSor, MNCountryClub, jnowariak and 1 other person liked this.
Dec. 7, 2021 at 11:12 a.m.
Why can't you stand him? He's slow as ****, but other than that he's a really smart player. Plus, he has chemistry with Kaprizov and Fiala. Doesn't make sense to use picks to get rid of a servicable player that isn't handcuffing us with his cap hit.
MNCountryClub, GophersBenJ, jnowariak and 1 other person liked this.
Dec. 7, 2021 at 11:16 a.m.
14m in dead cap
Quoting: TanSor
Why can't you stand him? He's slow as ****, but other than that he's a really smart player. Plus, he has chemistry with Kaprizov and Fiala. Doesn't make sense to use picks to get rid of a servicable player that isn't handcuffing us with his cap hit.

This ACGM in a nutshell is why I'm glad GMs don't listen to fans. lol

Rask is a lot like Prosser really: serviceable player that doesn't do anything special but the world also doesn't implode if he plays. Doesn't seem to complain if he's in the pressbox and haven't heard of him being a locker room problem. If he made around $1m, I'd be fine with them bringing him back next year if they can't somehow acquire a better forward to replace him. He's really not as bad as people act.
TanSor, jnowariak, gretzkyghosts and 1 other person liked this.
Dec. 7, 2021 at 11:22 a.m.
Quoting: gary_bettman
Do you think Fiala gets moved?

high possibility if he keeps struggling. I believe the goals will start to come here soon, he's going to erupt again and as we have seen before he plays very well at the end of the year. But there is a higher likelihood he gets moved than anyone on the team.
Dec. 7, 2021 at 11:25 a.m.

Its 5 on 4 everytime hes out there. he cant keep up with Kap and Zuc. Hence why he doesn't even play with them anymore. It 4 mil for a guy who should maybe be paid 1 mill.
Dec. 7, 2021 at 11:35 a.m.
Quoting: tmann10
Its 5 on 4 everytime hes out there. he cant keep up with Kap and Zuc. Hence why he doesn't even play with them anymore. It 4 mil for a guy who should maybe be paid 1 mill.

I'm not arguing he isn't overpaid, he isn't worth the $4M cap hit. If it's always 5 on 4 with him, why is he 9th on the team in +/- with a +7 rating? Again, he's a really slow player, but he's not a net negative when he's on the ice.
gretzkyghosts liked this.
Dec. 7, 2021 at 11:45 a.m.
I'm not arguing he isn't overpaid, he isn't worth the $4M cap hit. If it's always 5 on 4 with him, why is he 9th on the team in +/- with a +7 rating? Again, he's a really slow player, but he's not a net negative when he's on the ice.

He was + 4 vs. Dallas on Nov 18th, which he was playing w/ Zuc and Kap. He got/gets carried by who he plays with. Yeah maybe im overreacting a bit, but I just think one of our younger, upcoming players would benefit from some time in the league and can contribute the same if not more than Rask can, at a fraction of the price. Also a stretch of how much I had the Wild give up to move him.
Dec. 7, 2021 at 11:56 a.m.
Banned
He was + 4 vs. Dallas on Nov 18th, which he was playing w/ Zuc and Kap. He got/gets carried by who he plays with. Yeah maybe im overreacting a bit, but I just think one of our younger, upcoming players would benefit from some time in the league and can contribute the same if not more than Rask can, at a fraction of the price. Also a stretch of how much I had the Wild give up to move him.

He's literally a free agent at end of year! And serviceable like others say like @Tansor
Rookies are never going to come in , and play . Bill Guerin doesn't feel comfortable with them. Jack mcbain isn't coming in and playing. Wild don't have cap issues thus year
TanSor liked this.
Dec. 7, 2021 at 12:05 p.m.
high possibility if he keeps struggling. I believe the goals will start to come here soon, he's going to erupt again and as we have seen before he plays very well at the end of the year. But there is a higher likelihood he gets moved than anyone on the team.

He’s not struggling… He’s on a 60 pt pace with a 4% shooting pct and has a 57% xG pct.
TanSor liked this.
Dec. 7, 2021 at 12:07 p.m.
Hot take, McBain is either traded at the deadline or doesn’t sign with the Wild. He’s a UFA, no point in going to play in IA for2 years when he could have a shot at the show immediately with some other team.
TanSor liked this.
Dec. 7, 2021 at 12:18 p.m.

Well the player you suggested is still in the NCAA, so we can't call him up. And even if we could, McBain is only 21. It's pretty rare for players drafted late to play in the NHL before ages 22-23, especially if they haven't played in the AHL.

I feel like the Fletcher era really ruined a majority of our fanbase's outlook on how prospects should be handled. For most of these young players, they benefit greatly from at least a year in the AHL before being sent to the wolves in the NHL even if many of them don't realize it at first. They get bigger minutes down there, play against better opponents than they're used to, but not so much that they're overwhelmed, and learn the ins and outs of professional hockey.

I feel much more comfortable having someone like Rask come in and out of the lineup as our 13th forward than someone like McBain who is still developing and could really use big minutes in Iowa once he's done with his NCAA career, even if the player is always going to want to get to the NHL ASAP.
JayTea liked this.
Dec. 7, 2021 at 12:26 p.m.
Well the player you suggested is still in the NCAA, so we can't call him up. And even if we could, McBain is only 21. It's pretty rare for players drafted late to play in the NHL before ages 22-23, especially if they haven't played in the AHL.

I feel like the Fletcher era really ruined a majority of our fanbase's outlook on how prospects should be handled. For most of these young players, they benefit greatly from at least a year in the AHL before being sent to the wolves in the NHL even if many of them don't realize it at first. They get bigger minutes down there, play against better opponents than they're used to, but not so much that they're overwhelmed, and learn the ins and outs of professional hockey.

I feel much more comfortable having someone like Rask come in and out of the lineup as our 13th forward than someone like McBain who is still developing and could really use big minutes in Iowa once he's done with his NCAA career, even if the player is always going to want to get to the NHL ASAP.

So Billy G is at BC this weekend. They need to decide if McBain is worth the hassle of trying to sign but it also makes him trade bait by making him look more NHL possible. All of these things are good for the Wild since McBain is having his one exemplary season when you need to make decisions.

IMO, the decision they make with Nesterenko is more important
TanSor liked this.
Dec. 7, 2021 at 1:55 p.m.
I dont really want rask, but this would basically be buying a 2nd for about 2.5m. So why not, sure, hopefully our gm doesnt do anything crazy like resign him.
gretzkyghosts liked this.
Dec. 7, 2021 at 1:59 p.m.
14m in dead cap

You have to wonder how the Wild would look today if Fletcher hadn't signed Parise/Suter and felt compelled to rush prospects to compete while Parise/Suter were in their peak years. Granlund only played 29 games in the AHL, Brodin only played 9, Haula 37, Kuemper could have used more time for sure if they hadn't painted themselves into the corner with Backstrom. You really have to wonder what could have been if they didn't need to justify signing Parise/Suter and going for it.
TanSor liked this.
Dec. 7, 2021 at 4:22 p.m.
Quoting: jnowariak
He’s not struggling… He’s on a 60 pt pace with a 4% shooting pct and has a 57% xG pct.

Goal scoring struggling. You cant tell me that 3 goals for him right now is good. Hes obviously very valubale and don't see this lack of goal scoring continue. I just said it was a poosibility.
Dec. 7, 2021 at 4:34 p.m.
Goal scoring struggling. You cant tell me that 3 goals for him right now is good. Hes obviously very valubale and don't see this lack of goal scoring continue. I just said it was a poosibility.

The lack of goals would be a problem if he wasn’t scoring points. But he is. And he’s tilting the ice in the team’s favor. If they sell, it’ll be for an overpay on his “actual” value. The team should reasonably expect his scoring rate to double over the course of the rest of the season.
Dec. 7, 2021 at 4:52 p.m.
Quoting: jnowariak
The lack of goals would be a problem if he wasn’t scoring points. But he is. And he’s tilting the ice in the team’s favor. If they sell, it’ll be for an overpay on his “actual” value. The team should reasonably expect his scoring rate to double over the course of the rest of the season.

Not disagreeing with you but he has been a name in trade talks. I don't see them dealing him as I didn't trade him above. Im just saying it could happen, especially if we feel we cant resign him. which has a high likelihood that we won't be able to.
jnowariak liked this.
Dec. 7, 2021 at 5:48 p.m.
Quoting: JayTea
You have to wonder how the Wild would look today if Fletcher hadn't signed Parise/Suter and felt compelled to rush prospects to compete while Parise/Suter were in their peak years. Granlund only played 29 games in the AHL, Brodin only played 9, Haula 37, Kuemper could have used more time for sure if they hadn't painted themselves into the corner with Backstrom. You really have to wonder what could have been if they didn't need to justify signing Parise/Suter and going for it.

Of that list only Coyle is the one I think could have benefited from more AHL time.

They would have been the same as the Bluejackets under Richards. Just a bunch of meh and not much of a way to get out of it. UFAs wouldn't have signed here as easily either.
Dec. 7, 2021 at 6:00 p.m.
Quoting: wabit
Of that list only Coyle is the one I think could have benefited from more AHL time.

They would have been the same as the Bluejackets under Richards. Just a bunch of meh and not much of a way to get out of it. UFAs wouldn't have signed here as easily either.

Granny, Haula and Kuemper definitely all needed more time down in the AHL to start out with. Brodin is the only one there who was pretty much ready to go right away.

Only Dumba had more than enough AHL games under his belt, but probably could have benefited from an additional 20-30 games down there.
Dec. 7, 2021 at 6:11 p.m.

It's pretty common to give a college guy looking at FA status in a few months a few NHL games, as part of getting him signed instead of losing him.

If BC goes to the Frozen-4 then there is only like 3 weeks of of the season left for McBain. AHL pay is like $350-$400/day so that is less than $10k in money. NHL pay would be $4500/day. If he is paid for 21 days it would be it would be $8k from the AHL compared to about $95k in the NHL. It's much easier to walk away from $8k and play where you want next year compared signing and making to $95k for a months worth of work. His ELC would be a 2 year deal if he signs next season. It's a 3 year deal if he signs this season. It's an ELC so the money/year will be the same. So no real gain/loss there for him.

You are forgetting how much of a tire fire Iowa was during those years. MN called guys up just to get them away from that bad team and losing culture. Nobody developed into anything in Iowa until Fenton made it a priority and cleaned house there a couple of years ago.
Dec. 7, 2021 at 6:46 p.m.
Quoting: RazWild
Granny, Haula and Kuemper definitely all needed more time down in the AHL to start out with. Brodin is the only one there who was pretty much ready to go right away.

Only Dumba had more than enough AHL games under his belt, but probably could have benefited from an additional 20-30 games down there.

Kemps problems were in his head. Being in Iowa longer wouldn't have fixed that. he was .930+ sv% in the AHL, came in and was .915 sv% in the NHL. Harding's MS is what got him called up and he ran with it. He also preformed well in the Playoffs that year, getting injured sunk the team vs CHI.

Granny had nothing more to gain from the AHL. He was a PPG, had already been playing is a men's pro hockey for a few years before that. Trying to make him a center, when he was a natural winger was the mistake MN made with him.

Haula was an injury callup, and forced his way into the lineup. He made the team better and looked like he belonged in the NHL (he lead all FWDs in +/- that season). The bottom-6 was a disaster without him in the lineup.

Prospects don't develop at the same rate. Some need no AHL time, some need half a season's worth, and others need multiple years. It's the (non-elite) kids from the CHL that tend to need longer in the AHL compared to the guys coming from Euro pro leagues or college. The competition level is less of a jump from them into the AHL.
tmann10 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll