Forums/Armchair-GM

Since The NHL Makes Players Police Themselves

Created by: Agent_Of_R9
Team: 2021-22 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 7, 2021
Published: Dec. 7, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I am among the vocal majority that believe teams like Toronto and Pittsburgh are not physically abrasive enough to overcome the heavy forechecking and disciplined defensive teams that excel during the playoffs. While I still maintain that belief, I don't blame the players for what happened against the Jets on Sunday. As much as I support the notion of engaging in physicality as a way of intimidating star players, I don't agree if the opposition is directly infringing the rules of the game.

When Dubois grabbed Matthews, he should've been called for interference since he was nowhere near the puck when that happened. Pionk's trip on Sandin was a blatant slew foot (not the first time he's done something like this), so it was inevitable that Spezza and Simmonds would retaliate since the officials didn't do anything.

Honestly, this is not the first time something like this has happened. For example, last season, Artemi Panarin had to fight Tom Wilson because the Caps player was cross-checked Buchnevich on the head before punching the neck area multiple times. During the playoffs, the Penguins' entire 1st forward line and defense pairing got misconducts because Scott Mayfield cross-checked Crosby in the head when the Penguins player was protecting his goalie from giving up a rebound.

It seems like a common theme now that weaker teams try to intimidate or injure the opposing team's top players by playing extremely physical. I don't mind this type of strategy, but it has to be in accordance to the written rules of the game. Cross checking someone after the whistle or away from the puck, intentionally jumping at opposing players with elbows and slew footing are not examples of this.

At this point it really feels like the NHL is trying to encourage teams to play against the rules. The amount of missed calls that happen every season is shocking. I think the fact that McDavid hasn't drawn any penalties in the last 2 playoffs is all we need to know, Crosby has faced a similar issue throughout his career. The NHL puts the onus on the players to protect themselves and that is ultimately going to be the downfall of their health.
Trades
NYI
  1. Holl, Justin
  2. Ritchie, Nick
Additional Details:
*Holl has fallen off a cliff and Ritchie is just lazy
NYR
  1. Kämpf, David
  2. Tverberg, Ryan [Reserve List]
  3. 2022 1st round pick (TOR)
Additional Details:
*Love Kampf but he is a black hole on offence and not very intimidating
TOR
  1. Strome, Dylan ($1,000,000 retained)
Additional Details:
*Strome is not physical but plays good alongside linemates who are physical. Plus Leafs will need a Spezza replacement as he is out.
TOR
  1. Reilly, Mike ($1,000,000 retained)
Additional Details:
*TOR needs a 2RD
BOS
  1. 2022 2nd round pick (TOR)
TOR
  1. Rasmussen, Michael
Additional Details:
*Mike is a good defensive forward who plays extremely physical. He has pedigree.
TOR
  1. Crouse, Lawson
Additional Details:
*Crouse is a big physical power forward
ARI
  1. Abruzzese, Nick [Reserve List]
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$81,431,449$0$3,250,000$68,551

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$950,000$950,000
LW
UFA - 2
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 3
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 4
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 4
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 3
Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
$1,533,333$1,533,333
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$1,460,000$1,460,000
LW, C
UFA - 3
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the New York Rangers
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
LW, RW
RFA - 2
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 3
$3,800,000$3,800,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
$1,650,000$1,650,000
G
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RD
RFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,645,000$1,645,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Taxi Squad
$1,250,000$1,250,000 ($125,000$125K$125,000$125K)
RW, LW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 7, 2021 at 9:41 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: JaredOfLondon
Lol, you of all people gonna talk about ignoiring evidence.

What evidence did I ignore? I presented you the stats from ineffective math and evolving hockey. It’s you who keeps ignoring every argument with claims like “you made the team worse.”
Saskleaf and Devil liked this.
Dec. 7, 2021 at 9:43 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: CMcAvoy73
Ritchie is as soft as they come.

How is Ritchie soft? He has tons of hits and fights.

Quoting: Penguins_Legend_Sheary
I don’t count hits for a defenceman, physicality is more important for forwards because of their forechecking role. Crouse and Ritchie are pretty much the same, but Crouse is a much better player

First of all, a hit is a hit.

Second of all, this was a post saying they need to bring in "toughness". In terms of toughness, Ritchie more or less = Crouse.
Dec. 7, 2021 at 9:44 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Saskleaf

Second of all, this was a post saying they need to bring in "toughness". In terms of toughness, Ritchie more or less = Crouse.

Have you seen him play?

Hits are a pretty useless stat. He’s soft as puppy crap.
Dec. 7, 2021 at 9:48 p.m.
Go leafs go
Have you seen him play?

Hits are a pretty useless stat. He’s soft as puppy crap.

Yes, I have seen him play. He's not "soft as puppy crap".

Also, explain why hits are a useless stat.
Dec. 7, 2021 at 9:53 p.m.
Banned
Yes, I have seen him play. He's not "soft as puppy crap".

Also, explain why hits are a useless stat.

What constitutes a hit?
Dec. 7, 2021 at 9:58 p.m.
What evidence did I ignore? I presented you the stats from ineffective math and evolving hockey. It’s you who keeps ignoring every argument with claims like “you made the team worse.”

You ignore evidence in every single trade thread you make, especially the marner ones. And no, you didn't provide evidence that strome was a play driver you cherry picked his two best seasons using the single most flattering stat you could find and ignored everything else.
And you get told you made the team worse because you always make the team worse.
You also love to move the goalposts like crazy. I opened with the team being slower (it is) and not more intimidating (it isnt) the latter was your whole point of the thread but then when you had nothing on that you jumped to the one stat you saw about strome that made you start an obsession with him.
Dec. 7, 2021 at 10:02 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast

Ritchie isn’t soft, he is just lazy.
Saskleaf liked this.
Dec. 7, 2021 at 10:03 p.m.
Go leafs go
What constitutes a hit?

I guess there's a bit of a gray area. But I mean, how else are you going to measure "toughness"?
Dec. 7, 2021 at 10:09 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
You ignore evidence in every single trade thread you make, especially the marner ones. And no, you didn't provide evidence that strome was a play driver you cherry picked his two best seasons using the single most flattering stat you could find and ignored everything else.
And you get told you made the team worse because you always make the team worse.
You also love to move the goalposts like crazy. I opened with the team being slower (it is) and not more intimidating (it isnt) the latter was your whole point of the thread but then when you had nothing on that you jumped to the one stat you saw about strome that made you start an obsession with him.

I cherry picked stats? I showed you his 5v5 points per 60, his on ice results and his iXG from a 3 season sample size. What other evidence are you looking for from a forward that measures their ability to generate offence? That’s about as detailed as can get.
Dec. 7, 2021 at 10:21 p.m.
I cherry picked stats? I showed you his 5v5 points per 60, his on ice results and his iXG from a 3 season sample size. What other evidence are you looking for from a forward that measures their ability to generate offence? That’s about as detailed as can get.

Moving the goal posts again eh? You said driving play. Offensive abilities were never in question and he only generates offence with great scorers. His numbers tank the moment he steps away from kane or debrinecat
Dec. 7, 2021 at 10:24 p.m.
Banned
I guess there's a bit of a gray area. But I mean, how else are you going to measure "toughness"?

By watching. There’s a reason teams give up on him. It’s because he’s ridiculously soft, and just an all around horrible player that isn’t NHL caliber.
Dec. 7, 2021 at 10:34 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Moving the goal posts again eh? You said driving play. Offensive abilities were never in question and he only generates offence with great scorers. His numbers tank the moment he steps away from kane or debrinecat

Well not really he had 10 points in 126 minutes last season with Kubalik & Kurashev last season but my understanding of play driving is ability to create scoring chances. He does need a goal scoring talent in order to produce but the results he generates in general isn’t poor for a depth C.
Dec. 7, 2021 at 10:36 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
By watching. There’s a reason teams give up on him. It’s because he’s ridiculously soft, and just an all around horrible player that isn’t NHL caliber.

I think you are being a little salty. Ritchie does a lot of things well, he hits, goes into the dirty areas, has good net front ability, passes well but he’s just so lazy. Never wins a puck battle and doesn’t process the game fluently enough to be consistent.
Saskleaf liked this.
Dec. 7, 2021 at 10:37 p.m.
Well not really he had 10 points in 126 minutes last season with Kubalik & Kurashev last season but my understanding of play driving is ability to create scoring chances. He does need a goal scoring talent in order to produce but the results he generates in general isn’t poor for a depth C.

You said he was, and i quote "a very strong play driver" and now he "isnt poor for a depth c" those are very very different things
Dec. 7, 2021 at 10:41 p.m.
Banned
I think you are being a little salty. Ritchie does a lot of things well, he hits, goes into the dirty areas, has good net front ability, passes well but he’s just so lazy. Never wins a puck battle and doesn’t process the game fluently enough to be consistent.

I had to watch him as the worst player to put on a Bruins sweater in my lifetime for a year+? Salty? I’m just elated he’s gone.
Dec. 7, 2021 at 10:59 p.m.
Go leafs go

Whatever you say... he looks tough to me.
Dec. 7, 2021 at 11:19 p.m.
Drover006
Why? Because you’re a Kampf fan?

Tverberg is good and so is Kampf.
Dec. 7, 2021 at 11:20 p.m.
Banned
Whatever you say... he looks tough to me.

Not sure what sport you’re watching.
Dec. 8, 2021 at 1:47 a.m.
Fair enough. But honestly I think the top 6 is fine, they just need some guys at the bottom who can do some physical puck retrieving for them.

If you want the team to play a grittier style, its not the guys playing 10 minutes a night on the 4th line who are going to set the style for the team. If the Leafs want 'grit', it needs to come from the guys who are actually on the ice.
Faulk_my_Dzingel and Barilko14 liked this.
Dec. 8, 2021 at 8:33 a.m.
Smythe.over.Hart
Quoting: Byrr
If you want the team to play a grittier style, its not the guys playing 10 minutes a night on the 4th line who are going to set the style for the team. If the Leafs want 'grit', it needs to come from the guys who are actually on the ice.

One of the better comments I’ve seen. This is 100% true. It’s all fine to acquire gritty 10 min a nighters. But until your top 2 lines play with edge nothing changes. I will never forget one game against the Oilers last year, Matthews randomly played this game aggressively. He hit. He used his body. He looked like Lemieux out there. Actually using his size. He was absolutely dominant. I remember thinking, finally! Then he stopped. Now of course Matthews is a great player, goal scorer etc. but just imagine what he could be if he actually used his body. I even saw Nylander throw his body around a few times early this season.
Dec. 8, 2021 at 9:30 a.m.
Marner Enthusiast
You said he was, and i quote "a very strong play driver" and now he "isnt poor for a depth c" those are very very different things

I think we just disagreed with what play driving means. For you it is someone who puts up a lot of points as the main player on his line, for me it is someone with good on ice results relative to his team.
Dec. 8, 2021 at 9:31 a.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: Byrr

Yeah that’s true, but my intention was using the Crouse-Rasmussen/Kampf-Kase line to match up other teams’ top players similarly to TBL’s third line.
Dec. 8, 2021 at 9:36 a.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: faulkmydzingel
One of the better comments I’ve seen. This is 100% true. It’s all fine to acquire gritty 10 min a nighters. But until your top 2 lines play with edge nothing changes. I will never forget one game against the Oilers last year, Matthews randomly played this game aggressively. He hit. He used his body. He looked like Lemieux out there. Actually using his size. He was absolutely dominant. I remember thinking, finally! Then he stopped. Now of course Matthews is a great player, goal scorer etc. but just imagine what he could be if he actually used his body. I even saw Nylander throw his body around a few times early this season.

Tbh I don’t know if the top players need to change their style, maybe Matthews could use throw hits more but I think they are hardworking and aggressive on the forecheck. At this point I feel what happens in the playoffs is not really their fault cuz the opposition repeatedly tries to injure our top players or find ways to take them out of the game. And it’s the referees and league administrators that allow players to break the written rules to do this.
Dec. 8, 2021 at 9:44 a.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: Barilko14
Lemieux used to have to play with two guys draped on his back for pretty well entire games.

Yeah I know that, but I feel it was just a different era back then compared to now. There was a bigger gap in skill level and talent between the best players and depth pieces. If you had elite skating and agility you could pull away from the physical intimidators that marked you. Plus every team had a goon on their team to protect those star players. Compared to today in which the gap between matchup players and elite players are closer than the past, it makes it easier to win when the rulebook gets thrown out.
Dec. 8, 2021 at 5:25 p.m.
Yeah that’s true, but my intention was using the Crouse-Rasmussen/Kampf-Kase line to match up other teams’ top players similarly to TBL’s third line.

This is actually a common misconception amongst Leafs fans right now. They think Kampf's line is going against top competition while its not. Kampf still has the 3rd highest quality of competition amongst Leafs centers.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll