SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

502021/2022 NHL Season Discussion Thread - #8

Dec. 12, 2021 at 6:25 p.m.
Quoting: Saskleaf
He plays for the habs now I guess?

Yep, he's pretty much a journeyman fringe NHL guy that's more suited to be an AHLer
zk97, Saskleaf and BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Dec. 12, 2021 at 6:26 p.m.
Daddy
Anyone else get really frustrated when ppl say goalies shouldn't come out to play pucks? Was Lankinen's decision ill advised last night? Absolutely, late in a game, puck ringing around the glass, poor decision. Anyone who has played the game at a high enough level though knows how much easier zone exits are for dmen when the goalie comes out to play the puck. There's a reason why every goalie in the best league in the world does it.
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Dec. 12, 2021 at 6:29 p.m.
Quoting: AustonMatthews3443
Anyone else get really frustrated when ppl say goalies shouldn't come out to play pucks? Was Lankinen's decision ill advised last night? Absolutely, late in a game, puck ringing around the glass, poor decision. Anyone who has played the game at a high enough level though knows how much easier zone exits are for dmen when the goalie comes out to play the puck. There's a reason why every goalie in the best league in the world does it.

Goalies shouldn't play the puck unless it's a safe play, also depends on the goalie, some are better puck handlers than others
yikes and EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Dec. 12, 2021 at 6:34 p.m.
Daddy
Edited Dec. 12, 2021 at 6:54 p.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Goalies shouldn't play the puck unless it's a safe play, also depends on the goalie, some are better puck handlers than others

Agreed but most goalies are capable of playing the puck adequately enough in the NHL. Like a rim around the glass is an absolute no go, but all we see are these bloopers of goalies coughing it up but ppl don't notice how many times in every game a goalie comes out to stop a dump in creating a much easier zone exit. Like if a goalie doesn't come out to stop a normal dump in it makes it much harder for his dmen to retrieve the puck and a lot easier for the forecheckers to win that puck back. Like Steve Dangle is super entertaining but his hockey knowledge is limited so while his "tend the goal" is funny when looking at goalie puck handling bloopers, in the overall scheme of things he's wrong.
capsfan2121 liked this.
Dec. 12, 2021 at 6:35 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
I’m mentioned this before but I need more opinion on it so here it is. Another shootout win yesterday. We got to see tj Sochi score a shootout goal five hole. We are very depleted right now so maybe we try to go out and get someone. Also can a nhl team loan a player to another team. For example, the caps want Clayton Keller who we don’t need this is just an example, and Arizona loans him to us to win games and for Arizona to help the tank. Then before the deadline we trade him back with a pick for the price of the loan. It’s just trading for someone for free then sending them back to the original team with a pick for the price of it.
Dec. 12, 2021 at 6:42 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Edited Dec. 12, 2021 at 6:53 p.m.
Quoting: capsfan2121
I’m mentioned this before but I need more opinion on it so here it is. Another shootout win yesterday. We got to see tj Sochi score a shootout goal five hole. We are very depleted right now so maybe we try to go out and get someone. Also can a nhl team loan a player to another team. For example, the caps want Clayton Keller who we don’t need this is just an example, and Arizona loans him to us to win games and for Arizona to help the tank. Then before the deadline we trade him back with a pick for the price of the loan. It’s just trading for someone for free then sending them back to the original team with a pick for the price of it.

For this hypothetical, this is how “your idea” would work;

You cannot loan a player like this really so you’d have to trade (you’d have other GMs pointing out how unfair it is), you’d have to waiver him which means any team in the reverse league order could claim him (and WSH is good so they’d be nearly last to claim him).
So you would have to,

Trade For Keller

(Arizona would not be allowed to get Keller back until a year has passed, it’s a rule).

So then you could trade Keller back AFTER A YEAR.

But you’d have to
Make the trades fair and just.

If you traded a 7th for Keller

Than a year later tried traded him back for an actual fee to Arizona for “doing this”, there likely would be an uproar amongst GMs and the league could just decline the trade (the NHL has to approve every trade so if it looks like a clear collusion the, the trade would just be axed).

The idea would really only work if the trades are legitimate both times (which isn’t loaning, they’re actual trades).

Like maybe

Keller

For

2021 1st 2022 1st

Then a year later

2022 1st 2022 2nd blah blah

For

Keller going back. Then I guess it would “work”. But maybe Arizona doesn’t want him back a year from now, maybe one team walks back on their “verbal” agreement. I doubt any team would commit without an actual incentive so the Arizona Yotes would demand an ACTUAL return to trade him and not some IOU. So it really wouldn’t be an easy to “predict” situation.
capsfan2121 and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Dec. 12, 2021 at 6:48 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Quoting: yikes
For this hypothetical, this is how “your idea” would work;

You cannot loan a player of this extent really so you’d have to trade (you’d have other GMs pointing out how unfair it is),
So you would:

Trade For Keller

(Arizona would not be allowed to get Keller back until a year has passed, it’s a rule).

So then you could trade Keller back AFTER A YEAR.

But you’d have to
Make the trades fair and just.

If you traded a 7th for Keller

Than a year later tried traded him back for an actual fee to Arizona for “doing this”, there likely would be an uproar amongst GMs and the league could just decline the trade (the NHL has to approve every trade so if it looks like a clear collusion the, the trade would just be axed).

The idea would really only work if the trades are legitimate both times (which isn’t loaning, they’re actual trades).

Like maybe

Keller

For

2021 1st 2022 1st

Then a year later

2022 1st 2022 2nd blah blah

For

Keller going back. Then I guess it would “work”. But maybe Arizona doesn’t want him back a year from now, maybe one team walks back on their “verbal” agreement. I doubt any team would commit without an actual incentive so the Arizona Yotes would demand an ACTUAL return to trade him and not some IOU. So it really wouldn’t be an easy to “predict” situation.

I didn’t know there was a rule. Thank you for that. Thanks for the feed back
Dec. 12, 2021 at 8:16 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Does anyone think Jeff skinner can be his 40 goal self again
Dec. 12, 2021 at 8:19 p.m.
Imagine Clutterbuck having more TOI than Wahlstrom.. whew thank god thats just my imagination, that’s just not realistic.

😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫

capsfan2121 and Saskleaf liked this.
Dec. 12, 2021 at 8:34 p.m.
Yup

capsfan2121 and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Dec. 12, 2021 at 8:46 p.m.
Quoting: AustonMatthews3443
Agreed but most goalies are capable of playing the puck adequately enough in the NHL. Like a rim around the glass is an absolute no go, but all we see are these bloopers of goalies coughing it up but ppl don't notice how many times in every game a goalie comes out to stop a dump in creating a much easier zone exit. Like if a goalie doesn't come out to stop a normal dump in it makes it much harder for his dmen to retrieve the puck and a lot easier for the forecheckers to win that puck back. Like Steve Dangle is super entertaining but his hockey knowledge is limited so while his "tend the goal" is funny when looking at goalie puck handling bloopers, in the overall scheme of things he's wrong.

Made this point yesterday. There are plenty of situations in which the goaltender should not play the puck. However, like you mentioned anyone that has played a high level of hockey knows that a goaltender playing the puck is a must. On my Junior team there was a session during tryouts specifically for the goaltenders to showcase their puck playing ability. Typically one of the goaltenders would get cut after this day as it is that important. No one is asking the goalie to make unreal 60ft passes. stopping the puck behind the net greatly improves zone exits (plus the dmen love it). Vasy on Tampa is not an excellent puck player but he is very good at stopping the puck behind the net. The production team/commentators in the conference finals last year went out of their way to showcase how well Vasy was at stopping the puck which was limiting the Islanders ability to get their cycle game going. The puck takes bad bounces, it happens and is unavoidable.

There are even examples where the goalie does stay in the night and it takes a bounce off the stantion and the dman is out of position because of said bounce which still leads to a goal. High level players are always anticipating. Cant tell them not to do routine plays that help the team immensely just because it might "take a bounce". Plus pucks take bad bounces even if they are not on the stantions.
Dec. 12, 2021 at 11:39 p.m.
Quoting: Sklikly
Made this point yesterday. There are plenty of situations in which the goaltender should not play the puck. However, like you mentioned anyone that has played a high level of hockey knows that a goaltender playing the puck is a must. On my Junior team there was a session during tryouts specifically for the goaltenders to showcase their puck playing ability. Typically one of the goaltenders would get cut after this day as it is that important. No one is asking the goalie to make unreal 60ft passes. stopping the puck behind the net greatly improves zone exits (plus the dmen love it). Vasy on Tampa is not an excellent puck player but he is very good at stopping the puck behind the net. The production team/commentators in the conference finals last year went out of their way to showcase how well Vasy was at stopping the puck which was limiting the Islanders ability to get their cycle game going. The puck takes bad bounces, it happens and is unavoidable.

There are even examples where the goalie does stay in the night and it takes a bounce off the stantion and the dman is out of position because of said bounce which still leads to a goal. High level players are always anticipating. Cant tell them not to do routine plays that help the team immensely just because it might "take a bounce". Plus pucks take bad bounces even if they are not on the stantions.

Nobody’s saying goalies should stop playing the puck altogether. But there are very specific, identifiable situations where the default right now is to just play the puck, and that should not be the case, namely when it’s shot above boards height (more likely to take a funny bounce off of a stanchion) and the other team’s forechecker is the first player in. Giving this player a low danger wrap-around chance (and forcing the forechecker to retrieve the puck also allows a trailing D the time to get back into position in the middle of the ice so maybe there isn’t a scoring opportunity altogether) seems like a much better option in this situation than trying to play it and getting burned for a free goal 1 in 100 times or whatever (if you can isolate this specific situation it’s probably more common honestly). I trust the goalie to save a wrap around 100 times with the D getting back in position more than any player to miss an open net once.

Also goalies should be making simple passes, they screw up their passes far more often than forwards, so going for passes up the middle, or 50+ ft passes, with opposing players in between, is just a poor decision. It doesn’t work out nearly enough to justify the risk. Defensemen will screw up that pass far less (because they can actually grip their stick better and it’s smaller, obviously) so just let them build the play 95% of the time.
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Dec. 12, 2021 at 11:53 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: Db1899

I look forward to when this dude gets 18-19min a night. Look out
Db1899 and MitchMarner_16 liked this.
Dec. 13, 2021 at 12:10 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: MatthewsFan

With Kadri playing his way out of Colorado due to money Newhook at 2c could be necessary and I think he will thrive in the role
Dec. 13, 2021 at 12:34 a.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Canucks W. Y’all aren’t ready for Boudreau hockey 😈
capsfan2121 and zk97 liked this.
Dec. 13, 2021 at 12:54 a.m.
https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/536540
My WJC predictions thread
Dec. 13, 2021 at 1:32 a.m.
Quoting: MatthewsFan

Stutzle’s 2nd goal in that game was nicer lol
Dec. 13, 2021 at 5:21 a.m.
Gotta love Burakovsky's post game interview. Dropping an f-bomb in front of a live tv audience is always fun! But, the dude scored a hat, so I think he gets a pass.
Dec. 13, 2021 at 6:02 a.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: aadoyle
With Kadri playing his way out of Colorado due to money Newhook at 2c could be necessary and I think he will thrive in the role

It's really up to Kadri... would he rather money or cups? If he signed in the region of 6.5 Million I think he could stay with Colorado. Anymore and Colorado will say goodbye.
Dec. 13, 2021 at 6:36 a.m.
Kansler
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
It's really up to Kadri... would he rather money or cups? If he signed in the region of 6.5 Million I think he could stay with Colorado. Anymore and Colorado will say goodbye.

Cups? What cups?
They have yet to been even close, and if history repeats itself-> injured goalies + not enough grit results into early exit.
Dec. 13, 2021 at 8:09 a.m.
Tintin over 1122

zk97 liked this.
Dec. 13, 2021 at 8:25 a.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Bordeleau the most unlucky guy man, sucks.

Dec. 13, 2021 at 8:29 a.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
Bordeleau the most unlucky guy man, sucks.

One less Québécois at WJC.

Lapierre, Roy, Dufour were also cut

Only Bourque, Bourgault, Desnoyers made the team
Dec. 13, 2021 at 8:29 a.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
delete
Dec. 13, 2021 at 8:31 a.m.
Quoting: SevenLeg
One less Québécois at WJC.

Lapierre, Roy, Dufour were also cut

Only Bourque, Bourgault, Desnoyers made the team

To be fair, it’s weird that Desnoyers made the team and Lapierre didn’t and the other decisions made sense so it woulda been the same number on Canada anyway
A_Habs_fan and zk97 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll