Avoiding a MTL offer sheet on LAF

Created by: aecliptic
Team: 2022-23 New York Rangers
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 10, 2021
Published: Dec. 10, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The idea behind this is simple.

Come the 2023 off-season, Alexis LaFreniere will become a restricted free agent. The Rangers will still be on a tight financial squeeze on resigning players. MTL has shown they are not shy about extending an offer sheet, and I dont think this situation is any different. I could easily see them extending an offer sheet that would price out the Rangers from resigning LAF and the compensation would be pennies on the dollar compared to what it would cost. Im sure MTL would happily give up a 1st and a 3rd to get their second son back home.

Heres the summary of things.
Strome, Kakko, Gauthier and Rooney are signed. A veteran goalie is brought in as a back up.
Blais, because of financial constraints is not resigned. He has a qualifying offer of 1.6m and with seeing how good Hunt is, plus how talented our kids are (Othmann and Cuylle) its not good for us financially.
Miller would be the only free agent needing to be resigned the following year giving us some much needed financial stability for 2 years with the hope that the salary cap will go up more.

Say what you want, but this would be the time to consolidate all the pieces and prospects they have for a bonafide #1 center of the future.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$2,750,000
2$1,250,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$5,650,000
3$1,200,000
2$1,200,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Wright, Shane
3$925,000
Trades
NYR
  1. 2022 1st round pick (ARI)
Additional Details:
1OA (Shane Wright)
ARI
  1. Blais, Samuel [RFA Rights]
  2. Chytil, Filip
  3. Lafrenière, Alexis
  4. Lundkvist, Nils
  5. 2022 1st round pick (NYR)
  6. 2023 2nd round pick (NYR)
Additional Details:
Conditional 2nd round pick, could become a 1st round pick.
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$82,500,000$82,338,969$0$882,500$161,031
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the New York Rangers
$6,500,000$6,500,000
LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$8,500,000$8,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 8
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RW
RFA - 2
$11,642,857$11,642,857
LW
NMC
UFA - 4
$5,650,000$5,650,000
RW, C
UFA - 5
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW
UFA - 1
$828,333$828,333 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
LW
RFA - 3
Wright, Shane
$925,000$925,000
$894,167$894,167
LW
RFA - 4
$3,641,667$3,641,667
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$1,200,000$1,200,000
C
UFA - 2
$1,750,000$1,750,000
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LD
RFA - 2
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RD
UFA - 7
$5,666,667$5,666,667
G
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
LD
RFA - 1
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 4
$1,200,000$1,200,000
G
UFA
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RD
RFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$900,000$900,000
LD
UFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
LW, RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 10, 2021 at 11:27 a.m.
That is A LOT to trade away man
Dec. 10, 2021 at 11:28 a.m.
Save Mcdavid
Yeah man good idea but I don't think u need that much laf still holds a fair amount of value as he was a former no.1 overall pick
Dec. 10, 2021 at 11:29 a.m.
Rangers decline. Rangers will find a way to make it work whether it is trading Nemeth, Lindgren or not signing Strome.
dlt_hfu2847whsba and nyrfan81 liked this.
Dec. 10, 2021 at 11:35 a.m.
FrankFurter48
You'd have to do this after the lottery right?
Dec. 10, 2021 at 11:35 a.m.
aecliptic
Quoting: FrankFurter48
You'd have to do this after the lottery right?

Yes would happen after the lottery.
Dec. 10, 2021 at 11:39 a.m.
aecliptic
Quoting: hero9154
Rangers decline. Rangers will find a way to make it work whether it is trading Nemeth, Lindgren or not signing Strome.

It makes zero sense to do so, playing a stud player behind Panarin and Kreider, devaluing him year after year.

I find it highly unlikely they dont resign Strome. The gamble is too high to not bring back Panarin's wingman.

Theyre not going to get rid of Lindgren. Trading Nemeth away wont be enough. An offer sheet of 5m from MTL is beyond anything we can do, especially because we would need to resign Miller as well the same year.
Dec. 10, 2021 at 11:40 a.m.
aecliptic
Quoting: Drshnuckels91
Yeah man good idea but I don't think u need that much laf still holds a fair amount of value as he was a former no.1 overall pick

Youre probably right, however, this is how far Id go with an offer to get the right to draft Shane Wright.
NucksnOilers liked this.
Dec. 10, 2021 at 11:40 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
The 2023 season is going to be such a cap crunch for so many teams.
NucksnOilers and Fox_Czar_Cup liked this.
Dec. 10, 2021 at 11:55 a.m.
Quoting: aecliptic
It makes zero sense to do so, playing a stud player behind Panarin and Kreider, devaluing him year after year.

I find it highly unlikely they dont resign Strome. The gamble is too high to not bring back Panarin's wingman.

Theyre not going to get rid of Lindgren. Trading Nemeth away wont be enough. An offer sheet of 5m from MTL is beyond anything we can do, especially because we would need to resign Miller as well the same year.

Strome - it all depends on what cap hit they can get him at. I agree it is a gamble not to bring him back unless he comes in at around $5M AAV for 3-4 years.

Lindgren - he has 2 years left on his deal after this season which he will be due another raise. We can replace him in the lineup with Robertson (and/or Jones). Realistically our LHD is Lindgren, Miller, Jones, Robertson so someone is going to have to go. It is also quite possible they buy out Trouba or Goodrow after next season.
nyrfan81 liked this.
Dec. 10, 2021 at 12:12 p.m.
aecliptic
Strome - it all depends on what cap hit they can get him at. I agree it is a gamble not to bring him back unless he comes in at around $5M AAV for 3-4 years.

Lindgren - he has 2 years left on his deal after this season which he will be due another raise. We can replace him in the lineup with Robertson (and/or Jones). Realistically our LHD is Lindgren, Miller, Jones, Robertson so someone is going to have to go. It is also quite possible they buy out Trouba or Goodrow after next season.

The contract I put up for Strome is what I understand the Rangers are targeting. If you can find me a center in the league with 126 points in 147 games played (.857 PPG avg) who seems to be as willing to take a sub-6m contract as Strome seems to be please let me know.

Now, you talk about our left defense as if we have some sort of abundance of riches there. We dont. Lindgren is our only solid LD. I dont think Miller is as good as people hype him up to be. Nemeth is a fine 3rd pairing defenseman. Jones is a 5'9 offensive defenseman. Robertson, who I like, could be good, but who knows. Through that you want to toss away our stalwart left defenseman, and most importantly Fox's partner. Thats not happening.

Think about this for a second, youre talking about gutting some very important things that make this team successful today to hold on to (and potentially over pay because of an offer sheet) LaFreniere who could be a 3rd liner for the next 3-4 years. Or you trade him, get what some people think is one of the best C prospects in years, play for today but play for tomorrow as well.
Dec. 10, 2021 at 12:13 p.m.
No longer a Virgin
the guy that made the canadiens oversheet is gone so don't worry.
Dec. 10, 2021 at 12:15 p.m.
aecliptic
Quoting: Marshallchapman9
the guy that made the canadiens oversheet is gone so don't worry.

Well, my question to you then even if hes gone. Is it worth it to offer sheet LAF at 4m to 5m where the compensation is only a 1st and 3rd?
Dec. 10, 2021 at 12:17 p.m.
No longer a Virgin
Well, my question to you then even if hes gone. Is it worth it to offer sheet LAF at 4m to 5m where the compensation is only a 1st and 3rd?

I'd pass
Dec. 10, 2021 at 12:33 p.m.
Arizona has fully committed to a tank. They aren't making that trade
Dec. 10, 2021 at 12:34 p.m.
The contract I put up for Strome is what I understand the Rangers are targeting. If you can find me a center in the league with 126 points in 147 games played (.857 PPG avg) who seems to be as willing to take a sub-6m contract as Strome seems to be please let me know.

Now, you talk about our left defense as if we have some sort of abundance of riches there. We dont. Lindgren is our only solid LD. I dont think Miller is as good as people hype him up to be. Nemeth is a fine 3rd pairing defenseman. Jones is a 5'9 offensive defenseman. Robertson, who I like, could be good, but who knows. Through that you want to toss away our stalwart left defenseman, and most importantly Fox's partner. Thats not happening.

Think about this for a second, youre talking about gutting some very important things that make this team successful today to hold on to (and potentially over pay because of an offer sheet) LaFreniere who could be a 3rd liner for the next 3-4 years. Or you trade him, get what some people think is one of the best C prospects in years, play for today but play for tomorrow as well.

I've heard the Rangers are targeting $4.75-$5.25M but we are within ballpark of each other. I don't know why you are arguing with me about Strome (I never said he wasn't good or a 2C).

Technically we do have an abundance of riches at LHD as we could trade any of Lindgren, Miller, Jones and Robertson at any point with ease. Ideally the best defense we could probably atm ice is Miller/Fox, Jones/Trouba and Lindgren/Lundkvist with Nemeth being the 7th.

Now i'm going to use the same phrase you used on me with Robertson. Wright could be good, but who knows. We don't really know what we have yet in any of our young players (Laffy, Jones, Robertson) If we could get Wright, I would rather keep Chytil and trade Strome. Chytil for 2C for a year or two and then Wright 2C and Chytil 3C. Use the cap savings between Strome and Wright/Chytil elsewhere.
nyrfan81 liked this.
Dec. 10, 2021 at 12:45 p.m.
aecliptic
Now i'm going to use the same phrase you used on me with Robertson. Wright could be good, but who knows. We don't really know what we have yet in any of our young players (Laffy, Jones, Robertson) If we could get Wright, I would rather keep Chytil and trade Strome. Chytil for 2C for a year or two and then Wright 2C and Chytil 3C. Use the cap savings between Strome and Wright/Chytil elsewhere.

If you dont resign Strome and play Chytil with Panarin. You can forget the playoffs. Panarin will never score more than 80 pts ever again. Chytil isnt a center no matter how hard the Rangers brass has tried to brainwash you to believe it.

Theres a lot less guessing when it comes to the talent of Wright. At no point does anyone think that he wont be a star. Theyve been scouting and grooming this kid since he was like 10 yo.

I think Miller is overrated, and you saw it against the Avs when he got burned ugly twice.
Jones is a really good offensive prospect however, I dont think he is apart of the future here. I dont think the team wants another small offensive guy out there.
Personally I think Schneider is better than Lundkvist as far as fielding our best D.
Dec. 10, 2021 at 12:49 p.m.
If you dont resign Strome and play Chytil with Panarin. You can forget the playoffs. Panarin will never score more than 80 pts ever again. Chytil isnt a center no matter how hard the Rangers brass has tried to brainwash you to believe it.

Theres a lot less guessing when it comes to the talent of Wright. At no point does anyone think that he wont be a star. Theyve been scouting and grooming this kid since he was like 10 yo.

I think Miller is overrated, and you saw it against the Avs when he got burned ugly twice.
Jones is a really good offensive prospect however, I dont think he is apart of the future here. I dont think the team wants another small offensive guy out there.
Personally I think Schneider is better than Lundkvist as far as fielding our best D.

I've been personally saying on here and other boards that Chytil is a winger so I agree with you there.

Agree with Wright but we were also told that Laffy was going to be a star too. Nobody knows how these 18/19 year old kids will develop.

Yeah Miller did get beat bad twice but the tools are there...I'm not ready to give up on him yet. I agree that Jones is probably the odd man out and he will be moved for forward help whether this trade deadline or in the offseason. Schneider i believe is going to replace Trouba down the road.
Fox_Czar_Cup and nyrfan81 liked this.
Dec. 10, 2021 at 1:04 p.m.
aecliptic
I've been personally saying on here and other boards that Chytil is a winger so I agree with you there.

Agree with Wright but we were also told that Laffy was going to be a star too. Nobody knows how these 18/19 year old kids will develop.

Yeah Miller did get beat bad twice but the tools are there...I'm not ready to give up on him yet. I agree that Jones is probably the odd man out and he will be moved for forward help whether this trade deadline or in the offseason. Schneider i believe is going to replace Trouba down the road.

Schneider will replace him, but theres still a lot of time until that NMC becomes a NTC and we can do it.
Honestly, the reason I think why were not seeing what we expected out of LAF is because were not playing a system conducive to his talents. No matter what we do, he will always be paired/centered with below average people who may not be able to play with him.

Theres 2 guys who may become available at the deadline, Giroux and Pavelski. Lets say we pull in a guy like Giroux, awesome but it doesnt help LAF because he will likely be centering (and winging as Id expect it to be a fluid position between Strome and whomever, hypothetically speaking) Strome and Panarin. In an ideal world, Id like to see LAF, Giroux, Kreider - Panarin, Zib, Strome... however unfortunately it bumps Kreider to his off wing and Kakko to the 3RW. What can we do, how much can we do to facilitate putting LAF in a position to succeed?
Dec. 10, 2021 at 1:11 p.m.
Schneider will replace him, but theres still a lot of time until that NMC becomes a NTC and we can do it.
Honestly, the reason I think why were not seeing what we expected out of LAF is because were not playing a system conducive to his talents. No matter what we do, he will always be paired/centered with below average people who may not be able to play with him.

Theres 2 guys who may become available at the deadline, Giroux and Pavelski. Lets say we pull in a guy like Giroux, awesome but it doesnt help LAF because he will likely be centering (and winging as Id expect it to be a fluid position between Strome and whomever, hypothetically speaking) Strome and Panarin. In an ideal world, Id like to see LAF, Giroux, Kreider - Panarin, Zib, Strome... however unfortunately it bumps Kreider to his off wing and Kakko to the 3RW. What can we do, how much can we do to facilitate putting LAF in a position to succeed?

I like both Giroux and Pavelski but would hate sending any prospects to Philly and facing them in the future. Lafrenière — Mika — Giroux and Panarin — Strome — Kakko would be a really good top 6 but then we are breaking up Kreider and Mika.

Pavelski would be my target and we have recent history trading with Dallas (though not Drury).
nyrfan81 liked this.
Dec. 10, 2021 at 1:18 p.m.
aecliptic
I like both Giroux and Pavelski but would hate sending any prospects to Philly and facing them in the future. Lafrenière — Mika — Giroux and Panarin — Strome — Kakko would be a really good top 6 but then we are breaking up Kreider and Mika.

Pavelski would be my target and we have recent history trading with Dallas (though not Drury).

Yea no matter what we do, someone is getting bumped down the line up with a trade and trying to position LAF. Its nice to have, but I think were in a very good position to consolidate some pieces.
hero9154 liked this.
Dec. 10, 2021 at 5:33 p.m.
B
Offer sheets don't and won't happen. Molson heard loud & clear what Dundon & owners think about stealing kids & spiking rfa salaries

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll