Forums/Armchair-GM

TDLs Part 7

Created by: nintendofan721
Team: 2021-22 Chicago Blackhawks
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 11, 2021
Published: Dec. 11, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I knew the Blackhawks were in need of some big changes once the season started, and they made the right moves. Stan Bowman is gone (due to off-ice issues) and Jeremy Colliton was fired. Bowman has not been a good GM since after they won the cup in 2015. The team admitted to a rebuild at the end of the 2020 season, but this past offseason made it look like they were trying to contend, and that did not work out well! My approach to this team would be to start actually rebuilding because they need it, making them sellers at TDL. It looks to me that wiping out the organization has helped them get away from their abysmal start, but they should still be selling. I think it would be the right move for them to soon trade Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews, but due to their NMCs, that probably won’t be until the offseason. Kane can especially get them a really big return for the long run.
Trades
CHI
  1. Koskinen, Mikko
  2. Turris, Kyle
  3. 2022 1st round pick (EDM)
EDM
  1. Fleury, Marc-André ($3,500,000 retained)
  2. Nylander, Alexander
Additional Details:
Edmonton is looking for a goalie, and I’ve seen a lot of Fleury to Edmonton trades here. Hawks can get a first round pick for him, mainly since they’re retaining on him and taking a couple expiring cap dumps. If you think this is a bad return then remember, Hawks got him for nothing.
CHI
  1. Mrázek, Petr
  2. Ritchie, Nick
  3. 2022 2nd round pick (TOR)
TOR
  1. De Haan, Calvin ($2,275,000 retained)
Additional Details:
Leafs if they need another defenseman. Hawks can retain and take a couple cap dumps from them too if that can get them at least a second round pick.
CHI
  1. 2022 2nd round pick (BOS)
  2. 2023 3rd round pick (BOS)
BOS
  1. Strome, Dylan
Additional Details:
Anyone who can use a middle 6 forward. I’m sure he’ll have a better opportunity somewhere else than in Chicago.
CHI
  1. Fagemo, Samuel
  2. 2023 2nd round pick (LAK)
LAK
  1. Kubalik, Dominik
Additional Details:
Anyone who is interested in him. A prospect and a second should do it.
CHI
  1. 2022 5th round pick (COL)
COL
  1. Lankinen, Kevin
Additional Details:
Anyone needing a depth goaltender.
CHI
  1. 2022 5th round pick (TBL)
TBL
  1. Gustafsson, Erik
Additional Details:
Anyone needing a depth defenseman.
CHI
  1. 2022 7th round pick (OTT)
OTT
  1. Carpenter, Ryan
Additional Details:
Anywhere
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the COL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$65,375,047$452,439$4,265,000$16,124,953
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$6,400,000$6,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C, RW
RFA - 1
$2,625,000$2,625,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW
UFA - 3
$10,500,000$10,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 2
$842,500$842,500 (Performance Bonus$32,500$32K)
LW, C, RW
RFA - 1
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C
RFA - 2
$880,833$880,833
RW, C
RFA - 1
$912,500$912,500
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$811,667$811,667 (Performance Bonus$32,500$32K)
LW, C
RFA - 1
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$1,650,000$1,650,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,350,000$1,350,000
LD
RFA - 3
$5,400,000$5,400,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$3,800,000$3,800,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$3,850,000$3,850,000
RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$4,500,000$4,500,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$750,000$750,000
RW
UFA - 1
$975,000$975,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LD
UFA - 1
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C, RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 11, 2021 at 1:51 p.m.
If the leafs want a terrible defense man there are much cheaper ways to get one
Dec. 11, 2021 at 1:57 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: JaredOfLondon

That's a rather terrible assessment of De Haan. I don't think he's the defenceman that Toronto needs for what it's worth - I'd still put more money on a Manson- or Severson-type being more the need (or just less Holl in general) - but De Haan isn't terrible. His name should be up more with the Lindholm-esque names being touted as rental defenders, especially over guys like Chiarot.

I think Edmonton accepts, at least they'd be getting more than just Fleury for their first? Not keen on that pick being used on a netminder but it's better than most Fleury-to-Edmonton deals I see.
Dec. 11, 2021 at 2:02 p.m.
Number 1 Kahun Fan

You havent watched CDH then lol he actually plays defense and can play both sides. Plus youre getting rid of terrible contracts in Mrazek and Ritchie while we're retaining. Hawks decline this trade anyway Mrazek/Ritchie arent worth the second.
Dec. 11, 2021 at 2:03 p.m.
I actually like all of these trades a lot. The values are really fair and well-thought out with really good explanations.

The only one I'd reconsider is Kubalik. I feel like he might actually be worth a little more to a team in need of secondary scoring. But I could definitely see him going for that package too.

Extremely well done
nintendofan721 liked this.
Dec. 11, 2021 at 2:08 p.m.
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
That's a rather terrible assessment of De Haan. I don't think he's the defenceman that Toronto needs for what it's worth - I'd still put more money on a Manson- or Severson-type being more the need (or just less Holl in general) - but De Haan isn't terrible. His name should be up more with the Lindholm-esque names being touted as rental defenders, especially over guys like Chiarot.

I think Edmonton accepts, at least they'd be getting more than just Fleury for their first? Not keen on that pick being used on a netminder but it's better than most Fleury-to-Edmonton deals I see.

no, DeHaan is terrible. it's very simple. He cant defend, he cant put up offence and comparing him to Lindholm is a huge insult to Lindholm. Just because some dumb GM is gonna over pay for chariot doesnt make DeHaan a good option
Dec. 11, 2021 at 2:10 p.m.
Quoting: CFMan
You havent watched CDH then lol he actually plays defense and can play both sides. Plus youre getting rid of terrible contracts in Mrazek and Ritchie while we're retaining. Hawks decline this trade anyway Mrazek/Ritchie arent worth the second.

yes. i have watched him. And he's awful. And no, the Mrazek deal isnt a terrible contract just because he got hurt. Hell, Ritchie even has something like 8 points in his last 10 games, maybe you should watch them play!
The leafs arnt trading you Mrazek for Dehaan straight up let alone adding
Dec. 11, 2021 at 2:17 p.m.
Number 1 Kahun Fan
yes. i have watched him. And he's awful. And no, the Mrazek deal isnt a terrible contract just because he got hurt. Hell, Ritchie even has something like 8 points in his last 10 games, maybe you should watch them play!
The leafs arnt trading you Mrazek for Dehaan straight up let alone adding

Maybe new prescriptions would help then? Everyone in your fanbase laments about how bad Ritchie, I think ill go with the majority of people on this one and how historically he is bad. Mrazek in limited games has 4.00+ GAA in both the NHL and the AHL and he has 3 years left at 3.8 mil not money you want.
Dec. 11, 2021 at 2:24 p.m.
Quoting: CFMan
Maybe new prescriptions would help then? Everyone in your fanbase laments about how bad Ritchie, I think ill go with the majority of people on this one and how historically he is bad. Mrazek in limited games has 4.00+ GAA in both the NHL and the AHL and he has 3 years left at 3.8 mil not money you want.

yeah, it's not like Mrazek has an entire year outside the 12.5 game sample size of the last two seasons or something. As far as Ritchie goes, he hasnt been great by any standard but he's still doing more this season than DeHaan is.
DeHaan is bad and the leafs dont need bad defenders, especially if it takes away from their forward depth and leaves them with no back up and then on top of that includes a pick.
Like I said, terrible defenders can be had much cheaper
Dec. 11, 2021 at 2:28 p.m.
Ban Price trades
no, DeHaan is terrible. it's very simple. He cant defend, he cant put up offence and comparing him to Lindholm is a huge insult to Lindholm. Just because some dumb GM is gonna over pay for chariot doesnt make DeHaan a good option

Look, I'm not going to blow smoke up your ass and profess I bother to watch Blackhawks games - I don't - but you're clearly trying to paint an independent narrative here without considering any facts other than your own feelings regarding the player.

In terms of Blackhawks regulars De Haan has been their best defenceman since acquiring him from Carolina bar none. There hasn't been a defenceman on this roster to crack a 50% in any advanced metric, which speaks volumes to both how poor the team has been and how awful the coaching has been up until late. Keep in Mind De Haan has done so while riding a career-low PDO. He's a very sneaky good defenceman on an otherwise bankrupt franchise and a new environment anywhere else would prove that. If you subscribe to anything JFresh publishes, his WAR is absolutely insane and is immediately comparable with the likes of Lindholm. If another team acquires De Haan to be an overqualified third-pair LHD or a competent second-pair option, they'll be more than happy with their investment, as he will cost less than Chiarot and bring more value.
Dec. 11, 2021 at 2:36 p.m.
Look, I'm not going to blow smoke up your ass and profess I bother to watch Blackhawks games - I don't - but you're clearly trying to paint an independent narrative here without considering any facts other than your own feelings regarding the player.

In terms of Blackhawks regulars De Haan has been their best defenceman since acquiring him from Carolina bar none. There hasn't been a defenceman on this roster to crack a 50% in any advanced metric, which speaks volumes to both how poor the team has been and how awful the coaching has been up until late. Keep in Mind De Haan has done so while riding a career-low PDO. He's a very sneaky good defenceman on an otherwise bankrupt franchise and a new environment anywhere else would prove that. If you subscribe to anything JFresh publishes, his WAR is absolutely insane and is immediately comparable with the likes of Lindholm. If another team acquires De Haan to be an overqualified third-pair LHD or a competent second-pair option, they'll be more than happy with their investment, as he will cost less than Chiarot and bring more value.

DeHaan isnt even cracking 50% in any 5v5 stats this year and has negative rel numbers in all situations too, so being "better" is pretty subject to whatever stat you wanna look at. As for PDO, well he's getting over 50% offensive zone starts. The Black hawks are bad, but he's not exempt from those issues.
Dec. 11, 2021 at 2:43 p.m.
Trad Breliving
De Haan isn’t a bad player, but that’s a big no from the Leafs.

Ritchie hasn’t been amazing, but he has been solid (especially as of late).

Mrazek has been injured. That doesn’t make him a cap dump.
Maybe not worth his contract, sure. But cap dump, no.
Dec. 11, 2021 at 2:46 p.m.
Ban Price trades
DeHaan isnt even cracking 50% in any 5v5 stats this year and has negative rel numbers in all situations too, so being "better" is pretty subject to whatever stat you wanna look at. As for PDO, well he's getting over 50% offensive zone starts. The Black hawks are bad, but he's not exempt from those issues.

What part of nobody on the Blackhawks has been above 50% in the past two seasons do you need me to re-emphasize for you to look past your own biases? It hasn't been since Koekkoek was a Blackhawk and Gustafsson had a career year that the Blackhawks had a defenceman winning any statistical battle. There's a filter you must look at these players with to account for how awful Collition was behind the bench. That's why I very much prefer using WAR for judging defencemen on poor teams as it compares them against all defenders in the league. De Haan is a value player on a team that has no business in being anything more than draft lottery fodder.

I'm not arguing the point any further: if you want to continue to be obnoxiously biased and unwilling to take any form of criticism or feedback (god forbid someone notices something you haven't) then please go find another hobby that allows you to better capitalize on those strengths.
nintendofan721, Beetlejuice, CFMan and 1 other person liked this.
Dec. 11, 2021 at 2:52 p.m.
I realize you said to anyone, but Kubalik definitely won't be coming back to LA after the fiasco surrounding his ELC.
Dec. 11, 2021 at 2:53 p.m.
What part of nobody on the Blackhawks has been above 50% in the past two seasons do you need me to re-emphasize for you to look past your own biases? It hasn't been since Koekkoek was a Blackhawk and Gustafsson had a career year that the Blackhawks had a defenceman winning any statistical battle. There's a filter you must look at these players with to account for how awful Collition was behind the bench. That's why I very much prefer using WAR for judging defencemen on poor teams as it compares them against all defenders in the league. De Haan is a value player on a team that has no business in being anything more than draft lottery fodder.

I'm not arguing the point any further: if you want to continue to be obnoxiously biased and unwilling to take any form of criticism or feedback (god forbid someone notices something you haven't) then please go find another hobby that allows you to better capitalize on those strengths.

yes, and i was emphasizing that DeHaan is part of the issue. Decent players put up half decent numbers even with terrible coaches and terrible teams. I prefer to use all stats including WAR because it gives a full picture, if someone has bad stats everywhere else and a juiced WAR then something fishy is going on.
Now, if you wanna put your foot down and not argue, fine, but come off the mic drop and just leave it, because when you follow it up with "unwilling to take any form of criticism or feedback" when you're doing the exact same thing it comes off pretty weak. Now, if you wanna talk hockey I'll talk hockey, but leave that stuff out of it, unless you're gonna start telling everyone in the thread.
BeterChiarelli liked this.
Dec. 11, 2021 at 3:03 p.m.
The only trade that is egregiously over valued is probably Strome, if anybody offered the Hawks a 2nd I think he would already be gone.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll