Forums/Armchair-GM

Habs Players Value

Created by: Reff
Team: 2021-22 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 17, 2021
Published: Dec. 17, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
What is the market value of some Habs players? This is the question asked by journalist Marc-Antoine Godin of The Athletic to five professional recruiters from other NHL teams in an attempt to get the facts straight on the perception of their value across the league.

Carey Price: 1st round pick and A prospect (with retaining part of his salary and / or receive a bad contract)
Jake Allen: 1st round pick
Jeff Petry: 2nd round pick, 3rd round pick and B prospect
Ben Chiarot: 1st round pick with retention
Brendan Gallagher: 1st round pick and A prospect (with 50% salary retention)
Tyler Toffoli: 1st round pick and B prospect
Mike Hoffman: not much value
Jonathan Drouin: 2nd round pick and B prospect
Joel Armia: 4th round pick
Arturri Lehkonen: 2nd round pick and C prospect

What do you think of these values?
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
26$81,500,000$70,760,893$597,561$1,475,000$10,739,107
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$537,500$538K)
C
UFA - 1
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 6
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW
UFA - 3
$750,000$750,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$3,400,000$3,400,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$1,150,000$1,150,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 1
$950,000$950,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$950,000$950,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 1
$880,833$880,833 (Performance Bonus$300,000$300K)
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$880,833$880,833
RW, LW
RFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,343,750$2,343,750
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 5
$925,000$925,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RD
UFA - 4
$2,875,000$2,875,000
G
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$637,500$638K)
LD
RFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
RD
UFA - 1
$880,833$880,833
G
RFA - 1
$761,250$761,250
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 6
$7,857,143$7,857,143
RD
UFA - 5
$4,450,000$4,450,000
C
UFA - 4
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$2,125,000$2,125,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$875,000$875,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 17, 2021 at 9:57 a.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
I think you're overvaluing all players not named Joel Armia or Mike Hoffman.

A 50% salary retention on Brendan Gallagher isn't realistic, not over 5 seasons and half.
mastersp4 and Windjammer liked this.
Dec. 17, 2021 at 10:00 a.m.
Yep u can't retain half on gallagher if u already retain on Price. that,s too much retention for the habs.
Dec. 17, 2021 at 10:01 a.m.
Be Constructive
Overvaluing Petry and Drouin. Petry is awful this year and Drouin is good on paper but isn't like since he his never in the dangerous zones

Gallagher won't have retention, so value wise it is good, but because of the salary it will be less

Price it'll depend on how he returns from his injury. If he his good, you can have 1st, A prospect and B prospect for him if you retain his salary
Dec. 17, 2021 at 10:02 a.m.
There is no way Jake Allen gets a 1st round pick, and that isn't an attack on him or his play. Goalies just don't really fetch a 1st. The highest I remember a goalie being traded for recently was Murray for a 2nd and a prospect, and that was coming off 2 stanley cups in 4 years. For similar reasons, Price doesn't get a 1st especially with his age and health up in the air in addition to the contract. Mayyybe if, like you said, a bad contract comes back I could see it. But its a stretch.

Chiarot I could see getting a 1st similar to Savard getting one. Petry I think could go either way, good last year, this year ehhh but he is also a RHD which makes him attractive. Gallagher, no way he gets both of those things with his style of play which lends itself to aging very poorly. One or the other imo. Toffoli I think is more likely, though last year he had a career year. Definitely could see that going through sinc he's under control. I think a team would take Hoffman if he had 1 year, but I agree I think he's stuck there rn. Drouin makes sense to me. I think Armia may also be stuck, could definitely have gotten more if he had 1-2 years left. I think Lehkonen makes sense, mayybe a lower pick. Depends on his play.
DirtyDangle liked this.
Dec. 17, 2021 at 10:06 a.m.
Way off:

Price even at 50% retention does not get a 1st, simply because he has 5 yrs left at age 36 and no one knows if hes still got "it", or was his game partly enhanced by his problems/mental state. He is a great playoff performer, but was not great in the regular season last year. Age, contract length/salary, term, mental health are all a concern and I cant see too many teams having interest or paying top dollar (contenders dont have the cap space, rebuilding teams are not going to want a 36 yr old goalie).
Jake Allen does not get a 1st, hes a quality backup
Gallagher does not get a 1st, hes a 29 yr old making 6.5mil based on his past performances for 6 yrs and plays a game not built to last for a smaller player, on a healthy MTL team, hes probably not even a top 6 forward. Like Price, gallagher is a poor bet to live out and produce for even 2/3rds of his expensive contract.

Arguable, but Drouin, Hoffman and Armia have more value than stated
Dec. 17, 2021 at 10:24 a.m.
Quoting: SevenLeg
I think you're overvaluing all players not named Joel Armia or Mike Hoffman.

A 50% salary retention on Brendan Gallagher isn't realistic, not over 5 seasons and half.

I don't think this is his valuing, read the description it says 5 recruiters across the NHL were asked by Marc-Antoine Godin to set values on these players. So literally these are other teams scouts setting the values.
Shanesaw9, bluspy88 and ColonelX liked this.
Dec. 17, 2021 at 10:29 a.m.
Quoting: Korax
Overvaluing Petry and Drouin. Petry is awful this year and Drouin is good on paper but isn't like since he his never in the dangerous zones

Gallagher won't have retention, so value wise it is good, but because of the salary it will be less

Price it'll depend on how he returns from his injury. If he his good, you can have 1st, A prospect and B prospect for him if you retain his salary

Quoting: bluspy88
There is no way Jake Allen gets a 1st round pick, and that isn't an attack on him or his play. Goalies just don't really fetch a 1st. The highest I remember a goalie being traded for recently was Murray for a 2nd and a prospect, and that was coming off 2 stanley cups in 4 years. For similar reasons, Price doesn't get a 1st especially with his age and health up in the air in addition to the contract. Mayyybe if, like you said, a bad contract comes back I could see it. But its a stretch.

Chiarot I could see getting a 1st similar to Savard getting one. Petry I think could go either way, good last year, this year ehhh but he is also a RHD which makes him attractive. Gallagher, no way he gets both of those things with his style of play which lends itself to aging very poorly. One or the other imo. Toffoli I think is more likely, though last year he had a career year. Definitely could see that going through sinc he's under control. I think a team would take Hoffman if he had 1 year, but I agree I think he's stuck there rn. Drouin makes sense to me. I think Armia may also be stuck, could definitely have gotten more if he had 1-2 years left. I think Lehkonen makes sense, mayybe a lower pick. Depends on his play.

Quoting: Hammerwise
Way off:

Price even at 50% retention does not get a 1st, simply because he has 5 yrs left at age 36 and no one knows if hes still got "it", or was his game partly enhanced by his problems/mental state. He is a great playoff performer, but was not great in the regular season last year. Age, contract length/salary, term, mental health are all a concern and I cant see too many teams having interest or paying top dollar (contenders dont have the cap space, rebuilding teams are not going to want a 36 yr old goalie).
Jake Allen does not get a 1st, hes a quality backup
Gallagher does not get a 1st, hes a 29 yr old making 6.5mil based on his past performances for 6 yrs and plays a game not built to last for a smaller player, on a healthy MTL team, hes probably not even a top 6 forward. Like Price, gallagher is a poor bet to live out and produce for even 2/3rds of his expensive contract.

Arguable, but Drouin, Hoffman and Armia have more value than stated

See my above comment to SevenLeg

This just goes to show how much bias goes into this site when fans are asked to evaluate player values lol
Shanesaw9 liked this.
Dec. 17, 2021 at 10:31 a.m.
retired
Edited Dec. 17, 2021 at 10:38 a.m.
Quote:
Carey Price: 1st round pick and A prospect (with retaining part of his salary and / or receive a bad contract)
Jake Allen: 1st round pick
Jeff Petry: 2nd round pick, 3rd round pick and B prospect
Ben Chiarot: 1st round pick with retention
Brendan Gallagher: 1st round pick and A prospect (with 50% salary retention)
Tyler Toffoli: 1st round pick and B prospect
Mike Hoffman: not much value
Jonathan Drouin: 2nd round pick and B prospect
Joel Armia: 4th round pick
Arturri Lehkonen: 2nd round pick and C prospect

price with retention - maybe a 2nd.
allen - late 2nd, more likely 3rd.
petry - 3rd round pick. 2nd with rentention.
chiarot - late 1st, maybe 2nd + b prospect
gallagher with 50% rentention - 1st, 3rd + b prospect
toffoli - 1st, 3rd, b- prospect. maybe 2 x2nds.
hoffman - 3rd + mid pick.
drouin - 3rd + c prospect
armia - similar cap dump, or with a 2nd + b prospect for a 7th.
lehky - late 2nd, or 3rd + c prospect.
Dec. 17, 2021 at 10:33 a.m.
Be Constructive
Quoting: Campabee
See my above comment to SevenLeg

This just goes to show how much bias goes into this site when fans are asked to evaluate player values lol

lol I thought you were intelligent and came up with these values that I considered fair compaired to other fan's blockbuster trades yourself.
My bad
Dec. 17, 2021 at 10:35 a.m.
Quoting: Korax
lol I thought you were intelligent and came up with these values that I considered fair compaired to other fan's blockbuster trades yourself.
My bad

Not my thread, was just commenting on the reply to point out these values were from scouts not the OP lol
Dec. 17, 2021 at 10:35 a.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
I don't think this is his valuing, read the description it says 5 recruiters across the NHL were asked by Marc-Antoine Godin to set values on these players. So literally these are other teams scouts setting the values.

I read the article and for most players they were not stating actual values, just whether or not the player would garner interest across the league
Hammerwise and Roysboy72 liked this.
Dec. 17, 2021 at 10:40 a.m.
If these were five independt scouts from other teams, I'd love to know who, because some of these values are just off in a salary capped league
DirtyDangle liked this.
Dec. 17, 2021 at 10:40 a.m.
I read the article and for most players they were not stating actual values, just whether or not the player would garner interest across the league

I see, I only read the OP's description I am not a subscriber to The Athletic sorry. The way he made it sound was the values were set by the scouts lol.
Hammerwise liked this.
Dec. 17, 2021 at 10:46 a.m.
Habs 2010

They gave values for every player??? Should probably read it again. These were my notes from the article:

Carey Price:
- Colorado?
- Retention / take back money
- 1st + Prospect

Jake Allen:
- A 1st (Maybe)... likely less

Petry:
- Nashville
- 2nd + 3rd + B Prospect

Savard:
- Prefer taking back a contract over retaining

Toffoli:
- 1st + Prospect / Young Player
- Take back a contract

Hoffman:
- No value, just signed, would have to meet specific needs (PP).

Drouin:
- mixed: a 4th half Retained or a 2nd + Prospect

Armia:
- 4th
- 2nd if Retaining

Lehkonen:
- 2nd + Prospect

I didn't take a note on Gallagher because retaining on him just isn't feasible nor is the return worth it if they don't retain.

They gave value for everyone except Hoffman and Savard... who probably wont be moved anyways.

Edit:

Thanks for sharing OP. I think I'll make a post later trying to hammer out some more specific deals based off this article.
Roysboy72, Campabee and bluspy88 liked this.
Dec. 17, 2021 at 11:12 a.m.

Seeing this now I get where he is coming from and I hope I did not come off as attacking the thread starter's intelligence or anything. I went through each one and responded to each, some I thought were fair and others I thought were a bit rich. I agree with you that none of us really know. I gave some examples such as with the goalies when I thought of one. I disagree with others saying they're all bad and no one will trade for them, one of my biggest gripes on here are people insisting their team wouldn't do this or that unless they give up nothing for it.
Shanesaw9 liked this.
Dec. 17, 2021 at 11:15 a.m.
Quoting: bluspy88
Seeing this now I get where he is coming from and I hope I did not come off as attacking the thread starter's intelligence or anything. I went through each one and responded to each, some I thought were fair and others I thought were a bit rich. I agree with you that none of us really know. I gave some examples such as with the goalies when I thought of one. I disagree with others saying they're all bad and no one will trade for them, one of my biggest gripes on here are people insisting their team wouldn't do this or that unless they give up nothing for it.

I totally agree with you lol, my biggest peeve though is when people on here say their team has no interest in anyone outside of Suzuki or Caufield. I always want to reply with "really you work for the team now to know they would have no interest in upgrading any other position?" LOL
bluspy88 and Shanesaw9 liked this.
Dec. 17, 2021 at 11:19 a.m.
I totally agree with you lol, my biggest peeve though is when people on here say their team has no interest in anyone outside of Suzuki or Caufield. I always want to reply with "really you work for the team now to know they would have no interest in upgrading any other position?" LOL

Yeahhh those comments irk me so much. I did a few Flyers threads imagining them selling, and asked for feedback about a fit for Giroux and a return as a lot of people said to switch them up. So I made a new one based on constructive comments, and set the price admittedly high, going to Colorado. This one avs fan went on and on about how Giroux is bad because he will be 34 and they would never trade for a forward because they have good forwards. Its hard to argue with a brick wall like that. I guess the Oilers never traded for forwards in the 80s because they had Gretzky and Messier and Kurri and Anderson right?
Shanesaw9 and Campabee liked this.
Dec. 18, 2021 at 1:15 a.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
Quoting: Shanesaw9
They gave values for every player??? Should probably read it again. These were my notes from the article:

Carey Price:
- Colorado?
- Retention / take back money
- 1st + Prospect

Jake Allen:
- A 1st (Maybe)... likely less

Petry:
- Nashville
- 2nd + 3rd + B Prospect

Savard:
- Prefer taking back a contract over retaining

Toffoli:
- 1st + Prospect / Young Player
- Take back a contract

Hoffman:
- No value, just signed, would have to meet specific needs (PP).

Drouin:
- mixed: a 4th half Retained or a 2nd + Prospect

Armia:
- 4th
- 2nd if Retaining

Lehkonen:
- 2nd + Prospect

I didn't take a note on Gallagher because retaining on him just isn't feasible nor is the return worth it if they don't retain.

They gave value for everyone except Hoffman and Savard... who probably wont be moved anyways.

Edit:

Thanks for sharing OP. I think I'll make a post later trying to hammer out some more specific deals based off this article.

I thought OP was talking about this podcast, my bad. Didn't realize there was a new article about trade values out yesterday. It was a great read though I'd consider it very optimistic.
Shanesaw9 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll