SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021-2022 NHL Discussion Thread #9 - Happy Holidays

Dec. 22, 2021 at 9:26 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
If we’re going outside of the KHL’s top players, maybe Matvei Michkov.

He's going to be a star, but right now I don't think I can count a 17 year old the best hockey player overall outside NHL lol
Dec. 22, 2021 at 9:27 p.m.
Quoting: justaBoss
Tbf during his time off last year he was constantly dumped from the Habs team, whether it was as a cap dump or possibly him "retiring" or something like that. Even I thought he was going to get moved.

I knew he wasn’t going to get moved for 1 reason, no team would want him without knowing his status so he was much more valuable as a Hab then as a trade piece
capsfan2121 liked this.
Former Hockey Fan
Tbf during his time off last year he was constantly dumped from the Habs team, whether it was as a cap dump or possibly him "retiring" or something like that. Even I thought he was going to get moved.

Well I mean the fact that that was an idea being thrown out there is just showing how the garbage habs “fans” perpetuated the idea, trying to run him out of town when they had no info.
What in tarnation
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
I knew he wasn’t going to get moved for 1 reason, no team would want him without knowing his status so he was much more valuable as a Hab then as a trade piece

That's true. I claimed numerous times in ACGMs that until we know exactly why he was off he's not going to net Habs any kind of value, so it was a question of whether they keep him and hope he returns or they just dump his cap.
A_Habs_fan and capsfan2121 liked this.
Dec. 22, 2021 at 9:28 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
He's going to be a star, but right now I don't think I can count a 17 year old the best hockey player overall outside NHL lol

I don’t think he’s the best, but we’re going to have to be creative if we aren’t saying Shipachyov.
justaBoss liked this.
Dec. 22, 2021 at 9:29 p.m.
I don’t think he’s the best, but we’re going to have to be creative if we aren’t saying Shipachyov.

Sergei Mozyakin? Not sure if he still plays but I’m pretty sure he’s one of the best ever KHL players, Kovalchuk might be an option too
justaBoss liked this.
Dec. 22, 2021 at 9:29 p.m.
What in tarnation
Well I mean the fact that that was an idea being thrown out there is just showing how the garbage habs “fans” perpetuated the idea, trying to run him out of town when they had no info.

That is quite sad, but honestly quite expected. When a guy "disappears" for no clear reason it's fairly natural to expect he might not come back, especially to an environment that could be said quite toxic in terms of high pressure, with them being one of the largest hockey markets there is on the planet.
Kotkaniemi15 and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Dec. 22, 2021 at 9:30 p.m.
What in tarnation
Sergei Mozyakin? Not sure if he still plays but I’m pretty sure he’s one of the best ever KHL players, Kovalchuk might be an option too

Both of them have retired I think
Dec. 22, 2021 at 9:34 p.m.
What in tarnation
That is quite sad, but honestly quite expected. When a guy "disappears" for no clear reason it's fairly natural to expect he might not come back, especially to an environment that could be said quite toxic in terms of high pressure, with them being one of the largest hockey markets there is on the planet.

To add here, I'm still quite positive that in a small market team, like Arizona for example, he could thrive. He has the tools and was one of the highest potential players as a prospect, but his development have been hindered by many off ice reasons starting in TB and not fitting to the team, and then being under such constant scrutiny in Montreal. A change of environment to a smaller market team not having a strong core could be exactly what he needs - a place to be with no high expectations. Do your best and lead your team with your example.
Dec. 22, 2021 at 10:22 p.m.
GO FLAMES GO
Finland and Czech Republic rosters for WJC? Might get to go to there game.
Saskleaf liked this.
Dec. 22, 2021 at 10:33 p.m.
I make Articals.
Quoting: Alfie11
I mean, this is pretending McDavid won’t still be the best player in the league in 4 years. If you add the 2015 draft, I’d take McDavid+Barzal+Marner+Chabot over Eichel+Connor+Boeser+Werenski. I also think the next 2 drafts are good for Canada (Wright+Savoie+Geekie > Cooley+McGroarty+Nazar in 2022, I’d say Savoie/Cooley and Geekie/McGroarty match pretty well and Wright could be a top 5 player in the league, looks like a Bergeron/Toews type with even higher offensive upside, which blows Nazar out of the water, and both Bedard and Fantilli look like gamebreaking studs that are likely to go #1 and #3 in 2023, a cut well above the rest of the draft class, specifically Bedard looks like he could be right up there with McDavid and MacKinnon, and the #2 pick will be Michkov, a Russian, not an American) so that will help.

sad noises
Dec. 22, 2021 at 10:34 p.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Quoting: EsoYeezus69
They also deserve to have both sides of the pillow warm.

Edit: my pick would be the best player who retired this year, whoever that should be.

David Krejci...
EsoYeezus69 and justaBoss liked this.
Dec. 22, 2021 at 11:52 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Question to everyone here

Who is the best player in the world outside NHL right now? Was having a discussion with my brother about the issue tonight, and I promised to ask some feedback from some other people watching hockey (you guys basically lol).

When Kaprizov was playing in KHL he was the easy answer but now we're in a bit of a pickle as we haven't really reached any kind of consensus on this matter. Is the best one even playing in KHL, or perhaps in juniors or possibly in University or something like that? Maybe in Switzerland.

Throw me some ideas about the issue. I'm positive we could figure out better names than Vadim Shipachyov.

Additional note: anyone answering Blake Comeau to this question deserves to have wet socks on them for the rest of the Christmas week lol

The case can certainly be made for some Junior players not drafted yet but IMO the best players outside the NHL are:
Andrei Kuzmenko (KHL)
Topi Niemelä (LIIGA)
Jesper Wallstedt (SEL)
Filip Chlapik (CZECH ExtraLiga)
Cole Perfetti + Dustin Wolf (AHL)
Alfie11 and justaBoss liked this.
Dec. 23, 2021 at 12:13 a.m.
Quoting: MatthewsFan
The case can certainly be made for some Junior players not drafted yet but IMO the best players outside the NHL are:
Andrei Kuzmenko (KHL)
Topi Niemelä (LIIGA)
Jesper Wallstedt (SEL)

I like this list, although I'd have both Pelletier and Quinn ahead of Perfetti for forwards in the AHL. They've both led the AHL in rookie scoring, and Pelletier is currently 3rd in total AHL scoring (Quinn I think got hurt so he's in like 10th overall). I'd throw Power and Sanderson into the mix from college, I think they're the two best D outside of the NHL right now. Chlapik is kind of a Shipachyov situation, he tried to make it in the NHL and just couldn't hang (couldn't even secure a full time job on Ottawa's 4th line), so I'm not sure he should be in this conversation tbh.

Quoting: Gmonwy
Finland and Czech Republic rosters for WJC? Might get to go to there game.

Notable Finns: Hirvonen (22), Jarventie (13), Simontaival (29), Niemela (7), Viro (6)
Notable draft eligible guys: Kemell (37), Lambert (33)

Notable Czechs: Mysak (19), Novak (13), Pytlik (21), Svozil (5), Teply (11)
Notable draft eligible guys: Jiricek (8)

There are some other players that might be interesting to watch to see how they do (notably for me, Kapanen and Heimosalmi, and maybe Helenius and Koivunen too) but these are probably the best players on the teams plus the draft eligible guys (who should be major factors, all potential top 10 picks). And the goalies of course, Blomqvist/Merilainen for the Finns and Bednar for the Czechs are all solid prospects.

Full Czech roster
Full Finnish roster
Devil liked this.
Dec. 23, 2021 at 12:22 a.m.
GO FLAMES GO
Andrei Kuzmenko (KHL)
Topi Niemelä (LIIGA)
Jesper Wallstedt (SEL)

I love Wolf being on here
Dec. 23, 2021 at 12:39 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: Alfie11
I like this list, although I'd have both Pelletier and Quinn ahead of Perfetti for forwards in the AHL. They've both led the AHL in rookie scoring, and Pelletier is currently 3rd in total AHL scoring (Quinn I think got hurt so he's in like 10th overall). I'd throw Power and Sanderson into the mix from college, I think they're the two best D outside of the NHL right now. Chlapik is kind of a Shipachyov situation, he tried to make it in the NHL and just couldn't hang (couldn't even secure a full time job on Ottawa's 4th line), so I'm not sure he should be in this conversation tbh.

Notable Finns: Hirvonen (22), Jarventie (13), Simontaival (29), Niemela (7), Viro (6)
Notable draft eligible guys: Kemell (37), Lambert (33)

Notable Czechs: Mysak (19), Novak (13), Pytlik (21), Svozil (5), Teply (11)
Notable draft eligible guys: Jiricek (8)

There are some other players that might be interesting to watch to see how they do (notably for me, Kapanen and Heimosalmi, and maybe Helenius and Koivunen too) but these are probably the best players on the teams plus the draft eligible guys (who should be major factors, all potential top 10 picks). And the goalies of course, Blomqvist/Merilainen for the Finns and Bednar for the Czechs are all solid prospects.

Full Czech roster
Full Finnish roster

Personally I don’t believe Chlapik ever got used properly by the Sens. After bouncing between the NHL and AHL for 4 years Chlapik never received anything more than fourth line minutes. He actually had really good underlining numbers. For me, Ottawa failed to use him properly. I was very surprised they just bought him out. I hope he gets another opportunity in the NHL. Still only 24. Chlapik has 18 goals (2nd in Czech) and 38 points (1st) in 30 games. For me this is a former 2nd round pick who got pushed into the NHL too soon.
Dec. 23, 2021 at 12:44 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: Gmonwy
I love Wolf being on here

Hard to ignore the numbers he is putting up. Super consistent at ever level so far
MitchMarner_16 and Gmonwy liked this.
Dec. 23, 2021 at 1:56 a.m.

Personally I don’t believe Chlapik ever got used properly by the Sens. After bouncing between the NHL and AHL for 4 years Chlapik never received anything more than fourth line minutes. He actually had really good underlining numbers. For me, Ottawa failed to use him properly. I was very surprised they just bought him out. I hope he gets another opportunity in the NHL. Still only 24. Chlapik has 18 goals (2nd in Czech) and 38 points (1st) in 30 games. For me this is a former 2nd round pick who got pushed into the NHL too soon.

I mean the Czech league isn’t exactly the most competitive league on the planet. It’s like, maybe in the 6-8 range? NHL, AHL, KHL, SEL, Liiga, then you get to like DEL/ECHL/Extraliga. And I mean, it’s not like he had any competition. Paquette, Galchenyuk, Anisimov, etc. were all doing their best to play themselves out of the league at the time. His underlying defensive numbers were fine, but that doesn’t earn you a full time job when you’re a fringe roster guy. At some point you’ve got to produce, and he didn’t. A change of scenery probably wouldn’t have even helped either, because he wasn’t producing enough offense to warrant playing higher than the 4th line. He just got passed on the depth chart by too many guys. Maybe in a few years he’ll come back and earn himself a checking role.
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Dec. 23, 2021 at 7:13 a.m.

Hard to ignore the numbers he is putting up. Super consistent at ever level so far

I know personally how weird the goalie position is. One year and level you’ll be putting up .950 and a 1.50 GAA, switch leagues/levels and you’re putting up a .875 and 3.25GAA.

Props to him, cool to see his adjustment going well! Hopefully he makes the show!
capsfan2121, Gmonwy and zk97 liked this.
Dec. 23, 2021 at 9:27 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
If we’re going outside of the KHL’s top players, maybe Matvei Michkov.

I was going to say that too
Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Dec. 23, 2021 at 9:33 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
Atlanta Thrashers. Hartford Whalers. the Oilers logo with the red around it. The old predators logo and Floridas logo. These are the coolest logos of all time
Dec. 23, 2021 at 9:59 a.m.
Quoting: capsfan2121
Atlanta Thrashers. Hartford Whalers. the Oilers logo with the red around it. The old predators logo and Floridas logo. These are the coolest logos of all time

On the topic of logos, is there anyone on here who's not familiar with the duality of the Wild's logo?

Minnesota Wild

How it's a forest landscape but also the head of a bear.

Feel like it's just one of those experiences that we all share, where you didn't notice it at first but one day it's either pointed out or just clicks in your brain and you're just blown away. You don't see it until you do and then you can't un-see it.
capsfan2121, Devil, justaBoss and 2 others liked this.
Dec. 23, 2021 at 10:04 a.m.
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
On the topic of logos, is there anyone on here who's not familiar with the duality of the Wild's logo?

Minnesota Wild

How it's a forest landscape but also the head of a bear.

Feel like it's just one of those experiences that we all share, where you didn't notice it at first but one day it's either pointed out or just clicks in your brain and you're just blown away. You don't see it until you do and then you can't un-see it.

I NEVER REALIZED, you just made me LOL, i will never see that logo the same
Dec. 23, 2021 at 10:16 a.m.
I NEVER REALIZED, you just made me LOL, i will never see that logo the same

It's crazy, isn't it? Huge props to whoever designed that.
capsfan2121 liked this.
Dec. 23, 2021 at 11:15 a.m.
Too all my Seinfeld fans out there,

Happy Festivus!

It’s a festivus for the rest of us!!
capsfan2121 and yikes liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll