2021-22 WJC Thread

Dec. 28, 2021 at 8:28 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Quoting: Devil1122
Very close game after the first
Canada = 5 goals
Austria = 6 shots

Canada can pull the goalie and still win this game
capsfan2121, Devil, A_Habs_fan and 2 others liked this.
Dec. 28, 2021 at 8:32 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
Quoting: justaBoss
Numbers don't lie. Austria is elite.

11-6 lead for Austria
justaBoss liked this.
Dec. 28, 2021 at 8:40 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
Canada needs to forfeit after that goal
Dec. 28, 2021 at 9:02 p.m.
4 for bedard let’s goooo
Saskleaf liked this.
Dec. 28, 2021 at 9:16 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
11-1💀
capsfan2121 liked this.
Dec. 28, 2021 at 9:36 p.m.
Canes fan
Jeez I went to play chel after 5 goals and come back and it's 11-2. The 11 was pretty much expected for Canada by the end of the 1st period, but can someone tell me how on earth Austria got 2 goals?
capsfan2121 and EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Dec. 28, 2021 at 9:40 p.m.
Jinx god
Quoting: Dzinger18
Jeez I went to play chel after 5 goals and come back and it's 11-2. The 11 was pretty much expected for Canada by the end of the 1st period, but can someone tell me how on earth Austria got 2 goals?

Canada’s goaltending.
Zinger and capsfan2121 liked this.
Dec. 28, 2021 at 9:40 p.m.
Canes fan
Quoting: EsoYeezus69
Canada’s goaltending.

Figures
EsoYeezus69 and capsfan2121 liked this.
Dec. 28, 2021 at 9:41 p.m.
Perfetti - 1G5A
Bedard - 4G1A
Power - 3G2A
McTavish - 3G2A

Solid start to the tournament through 2 games I’d say. Brochu probably shouldn’t play again though, letting Austria score twice when they only got 1 goal in the entire tournament last year is kinda sad. Hopefully Cossa starts tomorrow and runs with the starter’s job.

Johnson-McTavish-Bourque were still running into each other. Defense still gave up a couple odd man rushes. Some things to work on, but Bedard looks excellent, super talented, and McTavish is still a beast, he just plows through guys and gets to the front of the net. Guenther has done the same thing a couple times as well over these two games, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him score one soon (couple assists tonight). Stankoven looked alright in his debut and picked up a goal, I wonder if he bumps Cuylle or Desnoyers out if Bourgault is healthy (otherwise he stays as the 13th forward, no issues).
EsoYeezus69 and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Dec. 28, 2021 at 9:41 p.m.
Jinx god
Quoting: Dzinger18
Figures

They played their 3rd goalie in a year where their goalies aren’t strong.
capsfan2121 and Zinger liked this.
Dec. 28, 2021 at 9:44 p.m.
Jinx god
Quoting: Alfie11
Perfetti - 1G5A
Bedard - 4G1A
Power - 3G2A
McTavish - 3G2A

Solid start to the tournament through 2 games I’d say. Brochu probably shouldn’t play again though, letting Austria score twice when they only got 1 goal in the entire tournament last year is kinda sad. Hopefully Cossa starts tomorrow and runs with the starter’s job.

Johnson-McTavish-Bourque were still running into each other. Defense still gave up a couple odd man rushes. Some things to work on, but Bedard looks excellent, super talented, and McTavish is still a beast, he just plows through guys and gets to the front of the net. Guenther has done the same thing a couple times as well over these two games, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him score one soon (couple assists tonight). Stankoven looked alright in his debut and picked up a goal, I wonder if he bumps Cuylle or Desnoyers out if Bourgault is healthy (otherwise he stays as the 13th forward, no issues).

Desnoyers gets the boot, he’s worse than Comeau (both fall over often, do giveaway’s, play over good players, are 4th line grit grinders who don’t belong there).

If Stankoven gets scratched I will completely lose it.

Lines when fully healthy should be:

Perfetti-Bourque-Bourgault
Johnson-McTavish-Stankoven
Cuylle-Wright-Bedard
Neighbours-Greig-Guenther

Power-Seeley
Guhle-Cormier
Sebrango-Zellweger

Garand
Cossa

Extras would be Sourdif and Lambos
Dec. 28, 2021 at 9:51 p.m.
Daddy
Desnoyers gets the boot, he’s worse than Comeau (both fall over often, do giveaway’s, play over good players, are 4th line grit grinders who don’t belong there).

Cuylle-Wright-Bedard

Power-Seeley
Guhle-Cormier
Sebrango-Zellweger

Garand
Cossa

I agree with Desnoyers I was shocked when he made the team and he hasn't done anything to make me change my position on that.
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Dec. 28, 2021 at 9:52 p.m.
Jinx god
Quoting: AustonMatthews3443
I agree with Desnoyers I was shocked when he made the team and he hasn't done anything to make me change my position on that.

Hendrix Lapierre would’ve been a 100% better choice.
zk97 and Zinger liked this.
Dec. 28, 2021 at 9:54 p.m.
Desnoyers gets the boot, he’s worse than Comeau.

Cuylle-Wright-Bedard

Power-Seeley
Guhle-Cormier
Sebrango-Zellweger

Garand
Cossa

I get you’re a Stars fan but Stankoven is not a top 6 forward on this team lol. I’d probably go with this:

Perfetti-Wright-Bedard
Johnson-McTavish-Bourque
Neighbours-Greig-Sourdif
Cuylle-Stankoven-Guenther
Bourgault

Bourgault rotated in at 1/3/4RW so Bedard doesn’t get overworked, and I don’t mind Guenther being part of that rotation unless he continues to succeed and play himself into more minutes. Middle six is probably fairly set in stone, and I don’t hate it, 2nd line is very talented (they just need to stop running into each other lol) but they probably stay together the majority of the time, and the 3rd line looked very solid in the first two games together, they actually have some chemistry and are a good checking line (I thought Guenther was also good on that line though, so I wouldn’t mind some shifts where Bourgault is 4RW and Guenther is 3RW so Sourdif sits).
Dec. 28, 2021 at 9:57 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Connor Bedard with 4 of the 11 goals

Rip Austria but hey they got 2
EsoYeezus69, zk97, Zinger and 1 other person liked this.
Dec. 28, 2021 at 9:58 p.m.
Jinx god
Edited Dec. 28, 2021 at 10:10 p.m.
Quoting: Alfie11
I get you’re a Stars fan but Stankoven is not a top 6 forward on this team lol. I’d probably go with this:

Perfetti-Wright-Bedard
Johnson-McTavish-Bourque
Neighbours-Greig-Sourdif
Bourgault

Bourgault rotated in at 1/3/4RW so Bedard doesn’t get overworked, and I don’t mind Guenther being part of that rotation unless he continues to succeed and play himself into more minutes. Middle six is probably fairly set in stone, and I don’t hate it, 2nd line is very talented (they just need to stop running into each other lol) but they probably stay together the majority of the time, and the 3rd line looked very solid in the first two games together, they actually have some chemistry and are a good checking line (I thought Guenther was also good on that line though, so I wouldn’t mind some shifts where Bourgault is 4RW and Guenther is 3RW so Sourdif sits).

Bourque should 100% be at centre and him and Bourgault had amazing chemistry in the Q.

If you find my Stars bias too big I can counter with:

Johnson-McTavish-Bedard
Neighbours-Greig-Wright
Sourdif

Never liked Sourdif, at least he’s better than Desnoyers. If you want to keep the score low than sure play him, but he’s one if the last players to go to if you want to score. That checking line (Neighbours-Greig-Sourdif) was great when stopping goals, but when it comes to scoring them I don’t trust it.

Also Wright hasn’t played well enough to play on the first line. Playing him with big strong players could maybe help his play. Could switch Bedard and Wright.
Dec. 28, 2021 at 10:04 p.m.
Daddy
Hendrix Lapierre would’ve been a 100% better choice.

There were several better choices imo. I watched Desnoyers when he was with the Moncton Wildcats and then when I went off to school in Halifax he got traded there so I've watched him in person upwards of 30 times and while he's a good Q player he's just not a WJC player. They already have their identity/checking line in Neighbors-Greig-Sourdif, Desnoyers is a good role player but he just doesn't have the high end skill required to make team Canada imo.

While I will say on paper Lappierre not making it is a shock, I have a buddy who plays on the Titan and said he hasn't really been that great since he returned to the Q. I also have a buddy who refs in the Q and he tells me Lappiere is a pr*ck and walks around the rink in all his caps gear and doesn't really seem to care all that much. How much truth these statements hold, I'm not sure, but that could be a reason he got cut. I would've taken Roy, Dean, Evangelista, etc. over Desnoyers though.
EsoYeezus69 and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Dec. 28, 2021 at 10:07 p.m.
Jinx god
There were several better choices imo. I watched Desnoyers when he was with the Moncton Wildcats and then when I went off to school in Halifax he got traded there so I've watched him in person upwards of 30 times and while he's a good Q player he's just not a WJC player. They already have their identity/checking line in Neighbors-Greig-Sourdif, Desnoyers is a good role player but he just doesn't have the high end skill required to make team Canada imo.

While I will say on paper Lappierre not making it is a shock, I have a buddy who plays on the Titan and said he hasn't really been that great since he returned to the Q. I also have a buddy who refs in the Q and he tells me Lappiere is a pr*ck and walks around the rink in all his caps gear and doesn't really seem to care all that much. How much truth these statements hold, I'm not sure but that could be a reason he got cut. I would've taken Roy, Dean, Evangelista, etc. over Desnoyers though.

I also have a buddy who plays for the Titan, or well is drafted by them (was called up a couple of weeks ago from the Moncton Flyers).

Also I know this might sound a little bit bias, but Wyatt Johnston would’ve also been a very good pick, he seemed to fit in well in the NHL during the preseason.
AustonMatthews3443 liked this.
Dec. 28, 2021 at 10:10 p.m.
Daddy
I also have a buddy who plays for the Titan, or well is drafted by them (was called up a couple of weeks ago from the Moncton Flyers).

Also I know this might sound a little bit bias, but Wyatt Johnston would’ve also been a very good pick, he seemed to fit in well in the NHL during the preseason.

Must be Phil Collette I know he's drafted by the Titan, used to ref him before I went off to uni.
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Dec. 28, 2021 at 10:12 p.m.
Jinx god
Must be Phil Collette I know he's drafted by the Titan, used to ref him before I went off to uni.

Yeah we went to school together almost all out lives plus I’ve camped with his family half of my life, he’s between me and my brother in age so we know each other quite alright, always seem like a very nice guy.
AustonMatthews3443 liked this.
Dec. 28, 2021 at 10:12 p.m.
Farewell
Connor Bedard, holy smokes
Saskleaf liked this.
Dec. 28, 2021 at 10:13 p.m.
Bourque should 100% be at centre and him and Bourgault had amazing chemistry in the Q.

If you find my Stars bias too big I can counter with:

Johnson-McTavish-Bedard
Neighbours-Greig-Wright
Sourdif

Never liked Sourdif, at least he’s better than Desnoyers. If you want to keep the score low than sure play him, but he’s one if the last players to go to if you want to score.

I agree that sometimes the “grit-grind” philosophy is excessive, but there is value in a shutdown line, and they’ve been running Neighbours-Greig-Sourdif the entire camp, with good success, and even Canada’s “grit-grinders” are gonna be good offensively. These 3 are veteran guys, who provide some physicality, leadership, responsibility in their own end, and underrated offense (all 3 are among the points per game leaders in the W, with Sourdif’s 1.38ppg the lowest of the 3, so it’s not like they’re useless offensively). It might also interest you to know that Desnoyers has a better points per game than Stankoven this year. If you’re gonna play Bourque at C with Bourgault on his RW, it would be on the 4th line though, likely with Cuylle on LW, Desnoyers as 13F, Guenther moving up to the Johnson-McTavish line, and Stankoven scratched. Wright and McTavish are the top two centres (I did expect a little more from him so far, but he hasn’t been bad enough to lose his spot), and Bourgault hasn’t been very good in camp/game 1.
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Dec. 28, 2021 at 10:15 p.m.
Daddy
Yeah we went to school together almost all out lives plus I’ve camped with his family half of my life, he’s between me and my brother in age so we know each other quite alright, always seem like a very nice guy.

Yeah I used to work in Bouctouche two days a week helping teach golf lessons. Would see him, as well as Lukas Cormier and few other guys from there that played in the Q (Pat LeBlanc, Bastarache) around the course when I was up there.
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Dec. 28, 2021 at 10:16 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: PointStamkosVasilevskiy219188
Connor Bedard, holy smokes

Michkov 2 games 3 goals
Bedard 2 games 4 goals 1 assist

Watching these 2 in the NHL (2026 per Michkov's KHL deal expiring) is gonna be fun
Dec. 28, 2021 at 10:17 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
The 2023 NHL draft: to name a few
Connor Bedard
Matvei Michkov
Adam Fantilli
Dalibor Dvorsky

If your going to suck, suck in 23
Saskleaf liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options: