SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021-22 WJC Thread

Dec. 26, 2021 at 9:42 p.m.
Jinx god
Edited Dec. 26, 2021 at 9:49 p.m.
Quoting: justaBoss
He's just adjusting to his future life in Dallas.

True true.

Sadly…
justaBoss and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Dec. 26, 2021 at 9:51 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: yikes
Jiricek injured. Really hope hes 100% fine for the future.

but, man that looks bad tho.

3-3 and 12 shots on goal when Jiricek left the game.
Since: 3 goals for Canada and just 3 shots on goal for CZE

Me too 🤞
yikes and capsfan2121 liked this.
Dec. 26, 2021 at 10:14 p.m.
Daddy
The worry about Garand seems a little pre mature. Looked to me on the 2nd goal that the traffic in front blocked him from seeing the cross ice time pass hence the delay getting across, still I will agree that's omething you probably want your goalie to fight through. I'm kind of indifferent on that 3rd goal, was a good shot but again probably one he'd like to stop. Not saying it's pertaining to this thread but the people who say "he was down too early" there are foolish. When a player is in so tight like that you need to be in the butterfly or else any player in the WJC will slide it five-hole fairly easily. Not sure why he drops his glove there and tries to use his shoulder, if he has it up out from is body a bit he probably makes that save as the player would've had significantly less net to shoot at ie. box control. I thought after the time out he looked in control and despite being tested minimally he made some nice stops. Cossa looked pretty shaky against the Russians so I was fine with giving Garand (who looked super solid against the Russians) the start tonight. I would give the nod to Cossa though against the germans, although I'm pretty sure Brochu was the backup tnt so who knows maybe Cameron gives him a shot next game.

I'm also not overly concerned with the D. They were pinching like crazy in the first and gave up way too many odd man rushes but after that they did a pretty good job all around after that, especially offensively. To me the excessive pinching can be chalked up to it being the first game and some of them being a little overly excited and trying to do too much up in the play. This is definitely something that will need to change and if it doesn't then I think there will be a reason to be concerned, although I'm confident it will. The Czech's really didn't get much from in zone play which is encouraging, mostly off the rush chances stemming from bad pinches.

I think it's a little early to panic just yet, definitely some things that need to be cleaned up all around though.
A_Habs_fan and Remus liked this.
Dec. 26, 2021 at 10:21 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
USA up 2-0 after 1

Crazy snipe from Samoskevich
Remus and capsfan2121 liked this.
Dec. 26, 2021 at 10:23 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Devil1122
USA up 2-0 after 1

Crazy snipe from Samoskevich

It was Kniece like Knies goal wink
capsfan2121 liked this.
Dec. 27, 2021 at 12:07 a.m.
My rankings of 2022 guys I watched today
1. Brad Lambert - Great hockey IQ, force on the ice, opportunistic
2. Logan Cooley - Very complete
3. Simon Nemec - Very complete
4. Joakim Kemell - Doesn’t drive play, always open and has a snipe shot
5. Juraj Slafkovsky - Lacks foot speed, poor off puck, good offensively with the puck
6. Filip Mesar - Barely noticed him, seemed out of position a lot, good foot speed

Didn’t see Wright, Jiricek or Yurov
BuFfaLOFaN, Remus, capsfan2121 and 1 other person liked this.
Dec. 27, 2021 at 12:53 a.m.
Here’s my collection of thoughts from the game:

Well Canada’s offense looks pretty good. Offense from the blueline especially looks really good, which is always nice to have. Unfortunately the defense looks terrible outside of that, they gave up far too many rush chances, they’re gonna have to be a bit more selective when pinching (pinching sometimes is good, but they were doing it nearly every play, which is unnecessary and excessive). And Garand looked shaky and small, good goaltending can cover some mistakes from the defense, but he didn’t exactly provide that. He should have had more than enough time to go post to post to stop the Novak goal, and when he went down to the butterfly on the Svozil goal, if he was bigger his shoulders woulda still covered the top of the net, but his smaller frame meant that there was a sizeable hole up top. I don’t really care who plays Austria, but I’d like to see Cossa against Germany. Canada relied on their superior firepower and good power play to outscore their problems today, which won’t be an option against superior opponents. I also noticed at least 4 or 5 times where it would have been nice to have a right shot on the right side, rather than a leftie (e.g. when Cormier pinched in on the right side but couldn’t control the seam pass on his backhand, or when Power got caught on the 2-on-1 that led to the first Czech goal, etc.). I thought Mason McTavish looked like a man amongst boys, he was a beast. Brute forcing his way through the defense for an initial chance, then controlling the puck all the way around the perimeter of the zone before dangling Novak out of his jock strap and roofing it was a beautiful play from start to finish. Power didn’t play the 2-on-1 well (kinda just stood there and let the Czechs pass through him), but he was excellent offensively, obviously. Another thing I noticed is that everyone keeps running into each other. In particular, I think that Johnson-McTavish-Bourque line is being carried by individual skill rather than chemistry. They keep bumping into each other, or cramping up very close to each other (2 or 3 guys less than a stick length apart from each other for no reason) and it leads to turnovers or a stall in the cycle/break-in. It was noticeable on the power play too, same culprits (but again, individual skill carried them, and because they are EXTRAORDINARILY skilled, it led to a couple goals). They’re too good to be making stupid mistakes like this, and it will cost them against good teams, like Finland and their medal round opponents. Canada will rely heavily on that line moving forward to be dominant offensively, and at least somewhat defensively responsible. Can’t be running into each other. On the bright side though, Bedard looks to have played himself onto the other top 6 line with Perfetti and Wright, and they look good. That will be an exciting line to keep an eye on moving forward if it sticks. The oldest player on the team with the two youngest players, all incredibly talented. And the checking line of Neighbours-Greig-Sourdif looked really solid, engaged physically, good on the forecheck, not making too many mistakes, and creating some good chances. I won’t be surprised if they’re used heavily to shift momentum when needed, and they’ll likely contribute a few goals (depth scoring is always key, and they’re a veteran line capable of providing that).
A_Habs_fan, yikes, Remus and 1 other person liked this.
Dec. 27, 2021 at 12:54 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
I’ve seen it on twitter too and another guy posted it

And thats why u stay off twitter wink as people just post silly things or trick the world with their seemingly real hockey news stories

Remember the Fox situation and people were posting fake news saying Fox was close to signing with the Flames and got them excited for a week then his agent went off and said he aint. And ironically they got away with it again with the Hurricanes. The fact he went on for a week was pretty surprising

Power will most likely sign with the Sabers. Things could change in 2 years depending on how well Buffalo handles things in terms of their rebuild but as of now I don't see him going anywhere. Dahlin on the other hand....Yeah I could see a move as it seems things have soured a bit and maybe its best both sides move on
capsfan2121 liked this.
Dec. 27, 2021 at 2:33 a.m.
Quoting: TheFlamingC
5. Juraj Slafkovsky - Lacks foot speed, poor off puck, good offensively with the puck
6. Filip Mesar - Barely noticed him, seemed out of position a lot, good foot speed

I thought Wright was okay. Noticed him a few times, was part of a couple ozone possessions/chances, nothing really noticeable defensively, which is usually good. Bedard was more impressive I thought, and probably earned a full time role on that line. Perfetti was excellent. They’ll probably score a lot going forward, and I expect Wright will be a part of that.

Quoting: AustonMatthews3443
The worry about Garand seems a little pre mature. Looked to me on the 2nd goal that the traffic in front blocked him from seeing the cross ice time pass hence the delay getting across, still I will agree that's omething you probably want your goalie to fight through. I'm kind of indifferent on that 3rd goal, was a good shot but again probably one he'd like to stop. Not saying it's pertaining to this thread but the people who say "he was down too early" there are foolish. When a player is in so tight like that you need to be in the butterfly or else any player in the WJC will slide it five-hole fairly easily. Not sure why he drops his glove there and tries to use his shoulder, if he has it up out from is body a bit he probably makes that save as the player would've had significantly less net to shoot at ie. box control. I thought after the time out he looked in control and despite being tested minimally he made some nice stops. Cossa looked pretty shaky against the Russians so I was fine with giving Garand (who looked super solid against the Russians) the start tonight. I would give the nod to Cossa though against the germans, although I'm pretty sure Brochu was the backup tnt so who knows maybe Cameron gives him a shot next game.

I'm also not overly concerned with the D. They were pinching like crazy in the first and gave up way too many odd man rushes but after that they did a pretty good job all around after that, especially offensively. To me the excessive pinching can be chalked up to it being the first game and some of them being a little overly excited and trying to do too much up in the play. This is definitely something that will need to change and if it doesn't then I think there will be a reason to be concerned, although I'm confident it will. The Czech's really didn't get much from in zone play which is encouraging, mostly off the rush chances stemming from bad pinches.

I think it's a little early to panic just yet, definitely some things that need to be cleaned up all around though.

The problem with the Svozil goal wasn’t how he played it (you have to go butterfly there), but the fact that he’s below average size for a goalie. Cossa wouldn’t have allowed that goal purely because he’s 6’6”. Garand left 4 inches up high wide open, and to shooters these days that’s as easy to hit as it is to score on a shooter tutor. To succeed he’s either gotta have the reflexes to compensate (usually with his glove) or he’s just not gonna cut it, even if his technical skills/positioning are the same or even slightly better than a larger goalie. I also think he may have some issues with lateral movement, two of the Czech goals came off of cross-ice passes (2-on-1 was probably hopeless, but he shoulda had the PP goal easily).

I also think that they’ll change the habit of pinching on every possession, but it’s still fair to flag it as a major issue for now. Every coach will be telling their wingers to play high and play aggressive in the defensive zone, to either strip Canada’s D of the puck and go the other way, or be open if a D digs the puck out and can hit you with a 2-on-1 pass because a Canadian D is too low. Rush chances are extremely dangerous, and Cameron’s gotta whip that habit out of them, or they’ll get destroyed by teams like Finland and Sweden. This weakness to odd man rushes combined with Garand potentially being weak on side to side passes is an extremely exploitable weakness.
Dec. 27, 2021 at 7:47 a.m.
So WJ Day 1 of Round Robin Recap

3-1 Finland over Germany
6-3 Sweden over Russia
6-3 Canada over Czechia
3-2 USA over Slovakia

Just by looking at the scores ( didn't watch the games ), you would tend to think Germany looked good as Finland didn't blow them out of the water, Russia sucks, should've brought NA players over ( Petrov, Kuznetsov, Guschiin ), Canada wasn't great ( scoring 6 is normal but allowing 3 goals to Czechia might not be the best start ) and Slovakia was pretty good
EsoYeezus69, Remus, capsfan2121 and 1 other person liked this.
Dec. 27, 2021 at 8:55 a.m.
Power meanwhile making buffalofan salivate for the future Sabres stud

Oh yea baby!! 🥳 Kids legit. Him and Edvinsson look amazing
capsfan2121 liked this.
Dec. 27, 2021 at 8:56 a.m.

Jiricek got injured it looked like, didn't get to see if he finished the game.
Dec. 27, 2021 at 8:57 a.m.
Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN
Jiricek got injured it looked like, didn't get to see if he finished the game.

Jiricek didn't finish the game i think
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Dec. 27, 2021 at 8:58 a.m.
Top 10 Forwards By NHLe

1. William Eklund
2. Joakim Kemell
3. Jake Neighbours
4. Nikita Chibrikov
5. Cole Perfetti
6. Alexander Holtz
7. Matvei Michkov
8. Marat Khusnutdinov
9. Danila Yurov
10. Ville Koivunen

Top 10 D By NHLe
1. Topi Niemela
2. Simon Edvinsson
3. Emil Andrae
4. Joel Nystrom
5. Jake Sanderson
6. Owen Power
7. Helge Grans
8. Scott Morrow
9. Luke Hughes
10. Olen Zellweger

Goalies in no order
Dylan Garand/Sebastian Cossa
Jesper Wallstedt
Yaroslav Askarov

Where do you get these numbers? The NHLe numbers?
capsfan2121 liked this.
Dec. 27, 2021 at 10:18 a.m.
HutsonNorlinderGuhle

The only thing that I would change about this is Jiricek, I did see him a few times before he went off, I do think missing time will hurt his stock

It'll be interesting to see how Marco Kasper does against Finland today, although I have a strong feeling that it'll be like Rossi last year, he'll just have no help whatsoever
capsfan2121 and yikes liked this.
Dec. 27, 2021 at 11:04 a.m.

Lambert was incredible. Best player on the ice for either team in that game. Just makes things happen.
AustonMatthews3443 liked this.
Dec. 27, 2021 at 11:11 a.m.
So, uh, how many Vezina's does Wallstedt win? Holy Christ that's a good goalie. Just a rock back there. So calm and collected because he knows his positioning is impeccable - fills the net so well.
yikes and Remus liked this.
Dec. 27, 2021 at 11:21 a.m.
do not Devil my ass
Hated teams:

For me, as a Swede, the two countries we have the least time for are generally Russia and Canada.
Russia is mainly due to the country itself being a historical rival with wars and hostilities etc (similarly we tend to cheer for Finland whenever they play other teams than Sweden).
Canada cus most teams that face Sweden play reeeeally dirty and utilize underhanded tactics (remember one WJC in Canada where they put the Swedish dressing room ridiculously far from the rink).
Canada are also the most talented team in most tournaments so there's that, but you knew that already.

I'm wondering how rivalries / hated teams work for your countries in international hockey tournaments, if you have any?
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Dec. 27, 2021 at 11:38 a.m.
Canes fan
My predictions for today:

Finland beats Austria 5-1
Russia beats Switzerland 4-1
Czechia beats Germany 3-2
Sweden beats Slovakia 3-0
capsfan2121 and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Dec. 27, 2021 at 12:25 p.m.
Daddy
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
Lambert was incredible. Best player on the ice for either team in that game. Just makes things happen.

Agreed I thought he was oustanding. Looked at the game summary today and he was 10th in ice-time for Finnish forwards which I found to be interesting.
Dec. 27, 2021 at 12:30 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
Quoting: PaulieWalnuts
Hated teams:

For me, as a Swede, the two countries we have the least time for are generally Russia and Canada.
Russia is mainly due to the country itself being a historical rival with wars and hostilities etc (similarly we tend to cheer for Finland whenever they play other teams than Sweden).
Canada cus most teams that face Sweden play reeeeally dirty and utilize underhanded tactics (remember one WJC in Canada where they put the Swedish dressing room ridiculously far from the rink).
Canada are also the most talented team in most tournaments so there's that, but you knew that already.

I'm wondering how rivalries / hated teams work for your countries in international hockey tournaments, if you have any?

As an American, I don’t like Canada (because geographic rivalry and they’re always good)
I’m hoping for a US Vs Sweden finals and Russia vs Finland bronze medal game
Dec. 27, 2021 at 12:57 p.m.
Jinx god
Quoting: PaulieWalnuts
Hated teams:

As an American, I don’t like Canada (because geographic rivalry and they’re always good)
I’m hoping for a US Vs Sweden finals and Russia vs Finland bronze medal game

For me as a Canadian it’s USA and Russia.

USA because when we play them we should win because we’re better then them in talent, but the majority of the time they beat us because we look uninspired and they look like they’re out for blood.

Russia is because they always play dirty and are also a pain in the @ss.

The Czech’s are my second team for some reason, I’ve always liked how they played with such speed and intensity. They’re the true meaning of an underdog, and if Canada were to disappoint I want them to win it all.

I’m hoping for a Canada vs Usa final with Canada coming out on top this time and a Russia vs Sweden bronze with Sweden winning.
capsfan2121 and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Dec. 27, 2021 at 1:00 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Edited Dec. 27, 2021 at 1:17 p.m.
My most anticipated players to watch throughout the tourney:

Wallstedt
He was my pick for SJS, on my board I would have seen value in him being a top 5 pick (too early but worth it imo). Obviously I’m super super super happy and lucky we got Eklund. I think Eklund will be a star. But Wallstedt imo; was worth selecting at 4-10 (again super early and not every team needed a goalie). I think Wallstedt has the highest ceiling from his draft class. He’s played well so far but I’m looking to see watch him closely every game not so much the result.

Eklund
wow shocker SJS homer says Eklund. But I think everyone watching Sweden should watch Eklund (#17). It’s very interesting because he’s a dynamic player and he played wing mostly and only played wing in his 8NHL games. But he’s playing Center for Sweden and he did quite well especially in the dot yesterday. He displayed his usual skills and IQ and made plays on and off the puck. Sweden needs him to help drive the Holtz - Olausson line because those 3 are scary when firing all cylinders.

Perfetti
I’ve always been a Perfetti homer and I’m still riding and dying with him. Perfetti being the oldest players and leading Bedard and Wright on a line is scary. Perfetti has already shown that he can make some great players, slick passes and i love the little things like acknowledging he shouldn’t be the one timer, tells Power to go to the one timer spot, directs and leads the play feeds Power for a slap shot goal. Just those little things all add up.

Bedard - Wright
No explanation. I’m not a Wright homer so I’m following him closely. BUT I AM A BEDARD HOMER.

Topi N and Simontavial
Topi continues to build his rise to stardom and another WJ showcase will only add to his stock. The Leafs have a future stud or incredibly valuable trade chip (he will not be traded for some bum or regular top 6/4 player.. if he is traded, it will be for a high tier NHL player if Topi ever gets moved). Simontavial I really want to see lead Finland in the dot. They need consistency in offence and a lead Center will help.

Jake Sanderson
Sanderson; while I usually tell Sens fans (haha @csick) to pump the brakes a little, is incredibly talented. He’s rock solid and plays sound hockey. But that doesn’t mean he isn’t exciting to watch - he’s smart and displays constant leadership qualities. The USA winning back to back starts with Sanderson leading the blue line. Topi N, Evindsson, and Power have competition in Sanderson to be the best D man in the tourney.

HM:
Canada third line (finally some GRIT but they’re fun too)
Michkov
Canadas goalies/ Cossa
Kemell
Lambert
Jiricek (rip tho)
capsfan2121, csick, A_Habs_fan and 1 other person liked this.
Dec. 27, 2021 at 1:16 p.m.
Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN
Where do you get these numbers? The NHLe numbers?

TopDownHockey NHLe values, calculated them myself
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Dec. 27, 2021 at 1:30 p.m.
KFTW
My most anticipated players to watch throughout the tourney:

Wallstedt
He was my pick for SJS, on my board I would have seen value in him being a top 5 pick (too early but worth it imo). Obviously I’m super super super happy and lucky we got Eklund. I think Eklund will be a star. But Wallstedt imo; was worth selecting at 4-10 (again super early and not every team needed a goalie). I think Wallstedt has the highest ceiling from his draft class. He’s played well so far but I’m looking to see watch him closely every game not so much the result.

Eklund
wow shocker SJS homer says Eklund. But I think everyone watching Sweden should watch Eklund (#17). It’s very interesting because he’s a dynamic player and he played wing mostly and only played wing in his 8NHL games. But he’s playing Center for Sweden and he did quite well especially in the dot yesterday. He displayed his usual skills and IQ and made plays on and off the puck. Sweden needs him to help drive the Holtz - Olausson line because those 3 are scary when firing all cylinders.

Perfetti
I’ve always been a Perfetti homer and I’m still riding and dying with him. Perfetti being the oldest players and leading Bedard and Wright on a line is scary. Perfetti has already shown that he can make some great players, slick passes and i love the little things like acknowledging he shouldn’t be the one timer, tells Power to go to the one timer spot, directs and leads the play feeds Power for a slap shot goal. Just those little things all add up.

Bedard - Wright
No explanation. I’m not a Wright homer so I’m following him closely. BUT I AM A BEDARD HOMER.

Topi N and Simontavial
Topi continues to build his rise to stardom and another WJ showcase will only add to his stock. The Leafs have a future stud or incredibly valuable trade chip (he will not be traded for some bum or regular top 6/4 player.. if he is traded, it will be for a high tier NHL player if Topi ever gets moved). Simontavial I really want to see lead Finland in the dot. They need consistency in offence and a lead Center will help.

Jake Sanderson
Sanderson; while I usually tell Sens fans (haha csick) to pump the brakes a little, is incredibly talented. He’s rock solid and plays sound hockey. But that doesn’t mean he isn’t exciting to watch - he’s smart and displays constant leadership qualities. The USA winning back to back starts with Sanderson leading the blue line. Topi N, Evindsson, and Power have competition in Sanderson to be the best D man in the tourney.

HM:
Canada third line (finally some GRIT but they’re fun too)
Michkov
Canadas goalies/ Cossa
Kemell
Lambert
Jiricek (rip tho)

Sanderson > Chabot

Also I hope Ottawa can draft top 8. One of Lambert, Savoie, Kemell on Stutzle’s wing would be great
capsfan2121 and BuFfaLOFaN liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll