SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021-22 WJC Thread

Dec. 27, 2021 at 5:18 p.m.
Quoting: yikes
Size don’t matter. Not saying you’re like “these people”. But so many Scouts and people degrade prospects based on size. But man Caufield, Debrincat, Marchand, Gaudreau. These are players who are have learned to play with their size. Even Eklund; watch Eklunds first NHL game vs Jets. Just an easy example (recent draft, kinda small but high value prospect);

Eklund has clearly learned to play around not being large and not being physical and being a target to the other team.

Bedards skill and ceiling are undeniable. If he can expose teams in his play, his size won’t matter. The worry should be if he can’t learn to play his game with his size in the NHL. Guys like Marchand Gaudreau Debrincat have. Caufield is going to learnfull time and has shown that he can. Eklund showed that he can and has been reassigned with a direct assignment to add lean muscle (not get bigger but get stronger and some weight).

Players with these IQ’s levels often learn to adapt and that’s why we see “wow HOW DID CAUFIELD FALL SO FAR???!!!”

It’s because these guys have an insane IQ level we shouldn’t think they can’t adapt. If you’re a small player with a low IQ than maybe that’s a worry. But often these small players are incredibly high IQ players which is why they so often make teams regret passing on them. These guys don’t think the game the same as us. They don’t see the game same as us. They are solving puzzles basically at 20mph on the ice. Because that’s how they survive and how they thrive.

It happens every year, small player high talent high iq falls because small -> small player high talent high iq thrives and becomes a steal because he’s learned -> next draft rinse and repeat.

These kids IQ make up for size and that’s why if you’re a scout and you drop points on a prospects grade based on size; I immediately drop you points as a reliable source. Because it happens far too often.

Isnt Bedard 16? Most guys not close to being done growing at 16, Mitchov is 17 and only an inch talent. 5' 9 - 5' 10.
Saskleaf liked this.
Dec. 27, 2021 at 5:20 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN
Isnt Bedard 16? Most guys not close to being done growing at 16, Mitchov is 17 and only an inch talent. 5' 9 - 5' 10.

Yup Bedard is 16, Michkov JUST turned 17.

You actually normally see growth until 18-21. Some men even seem (NOT COMMON) see a growth spurt until 23.

I would say we’ll know the rough estimate of what Bedard and Michkov will be at 19/20 (just a safer number).

For myself, I’ve noticed at 23 (working in the sports and fitness industry); my body has changed DRASTICALLY from 21-23. I gain weight/ fat more but man I’ve gained more strength. 21 I could intermittently fast and eat 4000 calories and gain muscle. Now I kinda struggle with fasting and eating that much will put weight on overall not just muscle. But now I enjoy more calories and feel healthier. I stopped growing at 18 but I’ve physically seen some dudes have a growth spurt at 21.
BuFfaLOFaN and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Dec. 27, 2021 at 5:22 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

You actually normally see growth until 18-21. Some men even seem (NOT COMMON) see a growth spurt until 23.

I would say we’ll know the rough estimate of what Bedard and Michkov will be at 19/20 (just a safer number).

There is just too many puns to make here
BuFfaLOFaN, yikes, A_Habs_fan and 2 others liked this.
Dec. 27, 2021 at 5:25 p.m.
Yup Bedard is 16, Michkov JUST turned 17.

Yep, normally the number they are on draft night is not what they are in. 2 years. Dahlin went from 6'1 to 6'3 I'm pretty sure. And 180-210 lol
Dec. 27, 2021 at 6:42 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Quoting: AndrewLadd
If I were to make a 2023 NHL draft rankings, I’d have Dalibor Dvorsky at 3

Damn I didn’t even realize another 16 year old was in the tourney

No ones even mentioned him. Gonna watch that for the Swede vs Slovak game
AndrewLadd and SadSensFan14 liked this.
Dec. 27, 2021 at 7:00 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
WJC is Michkov's playground lul.

Love watching him play
capsfan2121 and EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Dec. 27, 2021 at 7:52 p.m.
I make typos
so annoyed that Bourgault got injured, really hope he is only out for the game against Austria
capsfan2121 and EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Dec. 27, 2021 at 8:27 p.m.
Jinx god
Quoting: oilersguy
so annoyed that Bourgault got injured, really hope he is only out for the game against Austria

Hope he isn’t out too long, also hope this gives Stankoven the opportunity to show that he’s better than some of those 4th line grit grinders.
oilersguy liked this.
Dec. 27, 2021 at 8:56 p.m.
Go leafs go
Damn I didn’t even realize another 16 year old was in the tourney

No ones even mentioned him. Gonna watch that for the Swede vs Slovak game

Wow really?!?! I did not realize that. 2023 draft is really shaping up to be a great draft.
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Dec. 27, 2021 at 8:57 p.m.
Go leafs go
Size don’t matter. Not saying you’re like “these people”. But so many Scouts and people degrade prospects based on size. But man Caufield, Debrincat, Marchand, Gaudreau. These are players who are have learned to play with their size. Even Eklund; watch Eklunds first NHL game vs Jets. Just an easy example (recent draft, kinda small but high value prospect);

Eklund has clearly learned to play around not being large and not being physical and being a target to the other team.

Bedards skill and ceiling are undeniable. If he can expose teams in his play, his size won’t matter. The worry should be if he can’t learn to play his game with his size in the NHL. Guys like Marchand Gaudreau Debrincat have. Caufield is going to learnfull time and has shown that he can. Eklund showed that he can and has been reassigned with a direct assignment to add lean muscle (not get bigger but get stronger and some weight).

Players with these IQ’s levels often learn to adapt and that’s why we see “wow HOW DID CAUFIELD FALL SO FAR???!!!”

It’s because these guys have an insane IQ level we shouldn’t think they can’t adapt. If you’re a small player with a low IQ than maybe that’s a worry. But often these small players are incredibly high IQ players which is why they so often make teams regret passing on them. These guys don’t think the game the same as us. They don’t see the game same as us. They are solving puzzles basically at 20mph on the ice. Because that’s how they survive and how they thrive.

It happens every year, small player high talent high iq falls because small -> small player high talent high iq thrives and becomes a steal because he’s learned -> next draft rinse and repeat.

These kids IQ make up for size and that’s why if you’re a scout and you drop points on a prospects grade based on size; I immediately drop you points as a reliable source. Because it happens far too often.

I agree (except for the bad grammer). Size is very overrated, especially among prospects.
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Dec. 27, 2021 at 9:13 p.m.
MOVE THE COYOTES
Quoting: Saskleaf
Did Neimela of Hirvonen get any points? (I was working on making a rink so I don't know).

Oh ya I was too.
Saskleaf liked this.
Dec. 27, 2021 at 9:15 p.m.
MOVE THE COYOTES
Yep, normally the number they are on draft night is not what they are in. 2 years. Dahlin went from 6'1 to 6'3 I'm pretty sure. And 180-210 lol

Ya. did you know that Aattu Raty made the Finnish team as a 16 year old, but then didn't as a 17 year old? Crazy at how far he fell.
Dec. 27, 2021 at 9:18 p.m.
MOVE THE COYOTES

Caufiled isn't that good. I'm deffinatly not saying that cause he's small, but he just isn't that good. Oh and Kane and Marner have learned to play really well being small. And I know size is overated.
Dec. 27, 2021 at 9:25 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: JetsCanesSens
Oh ya I was too.

I know wink

After all, I just traded you off.
capsfan2121 and SadSensFan14 liked this.
Dec. 27, 2021 at 9:26 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Ivan Ivan Ivan
oilersguy and Remus liked this.
Dec. 27, 2021 at 9:32 p.m.
Edited Dec. 27, 2021 at 10:06 p.m.
Florian Bugl just stole that game for Germany, what a performance. Jan Bednar looked really good too, but the Czechs shoulda won, and Bugl was remarkable.
yikes liked this.
Dec. 27, 2021 at 9:45 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith

MatthewsFan liked this.
Dec. 27, 2021 at 9:52 p.m.
MOVE THE COYOTES
Quoting: Saskleaf
I know wink

After all, I just traded you off.

Well I'm coming out in a few.
Saskleaf liked this.
Dec. 27, 2021 at 9:58 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
The 2021 Blue Jackets draft was bananas. To walk away with Kent Johnson, Cole Sillinger, Corson Ceulemans, and Stanislav Svozil is very impressive. Like all 4 of these guys will make an impact in the NHL.
Dec. 27, 2021 at 10:08 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: MatthewsFan
The 2021 Blue Jackets draft was bananas. To walk away with Kent Johnson, Cole Sillinger, Corson Ceulemans, and Stanislav Svozil is very impressive. Like all 4 of these guys will make an impact in the NHL.

Never really thought about it, but wow that's a really good list of guys for one draft.
MatthewsFan liked this.
Dec. 27, 2021 at 10:09 p.m.
Go leafs go

Wait Germany won?
Dec. 27, 2021 at 10:12 p.m.
I make typos

so nice to have a prospect who is playing a prominent role for his team
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Dec. 27, 2021 at 10:16 p.m.
I make typos
Quoting: capsfan2121
Ivan Ivan Ivan

don't forget about Oskar Maier on Team Austria
capsfan2121 liked this.
Dec. 27, 2021 at 11:09 p.m.
Mesar has looked really good so far, he’s a puck hound. Looks like a ball of energy, sometimes overskates the play though and ends up out of position, Slafkovsky is horrible off puck, good with the puck. Nemec looks really good offensively, defense leaves some room for improvement from what I’ve seen so far. I saw one shift of Yurov, looked solid, good positioning, good puck pursuit, didn’t touch the puck when I was watching though. Obviously Wright, Cooley and Jiricek didn’t play today. Didn’t see Lambert or Kemell
Dec. 27, 2021 at 11:55 p.m.
What in tarnation
Wallstedt is a beast
MatthewsFan, TheFlamingC, Remus and 1 other person liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll