Forums/Armchair-GM

Wishful Thinking

Created by: KDow88
Team: 2021-22 Edmonton Oilers
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 3, 2022
Published: Jan. 3, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
While Yamamoto is showing a bit of what he did 2 years ago, now would be the best time to deal him for somebody a bit more developed/established for scoring.. In order to make the money work for both sides, Buffalo takes Koskinen and gets a mid pick next season, while Edmonton gets a 3rd string goalie w/ Smith being injury prone and Skinner looking like he's ready to take another step to becoming an NHL regular...
IF Edmonton is not on Chiarot's NTC then make a play for him to solidify the left side d pairings...Conditional Draft picks tho...
In Lieu of dealing the 2 and 3rd round picks for the next 2 seasons, I would look to trade down at this years draft using my first to drop to a later 1st w/ a 2nd or 3rd this year, then look to trade down again and try get a pick in the middle of the 2nd round this year and either a 2nd or 3rd for next years draft and basically recoup the picks that way, replenish the draft picks given away...
Trades
BUF
  1. Koskinen, Mikko
  2. Yamamoto, Kailer
  3. 2023 3rd round pick (EDM)
Additional Details:
Conditional 3rd for next season, Should Edmonton make it past the 2nd round w/ Olofsson being in the top 3 for scoring on Edm in the playoffs, pick becomes a 2nd...
MTL
  1. Turris, Kyle
  2. 2022 2nd round pick (EDM)
Additional Details:
Making the money work for Turris in there.. Conditional 2nd- same as Duncan Keith's condition but for the playoffs(if Keith's condition comes into play, becomes next years 2nd, should Olofsson's condition come in to play becomes this year and next years 3rd round picks)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$77,264,468$669,339$990,000$4,235,532

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 7
$12,500,000$12,500,000
C
UFA - 5
$1,175,000$1,175,000
RW
UFA - 1
$5,125,000$5,125,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 8
$8,500,000$8,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 4
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$3,050,000$3,050,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$834,167$834,167 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
C
RFA - 1
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 3
$850,000$850,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 2
$1,250,000$1,250,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,600,000$5,600,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 3
$2,200,000$2,200,000
G
UFA - 2
$5,538,462$5,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 2
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$3,250,000$3,250,000
RD
UFA - 4
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$817,500$817,500 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
LD
RFA - 1
$4,167,000$4,167,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$785,000$785,000
G
UFA - 1
Taxi Squad
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$725,000$725,000 ($0$0$0$0)
G
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000 ($0$0$0$0)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000 ($0$0$0$0)
RW, LW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 3, 2022 at 10:17 a.m.
Make it Work
Chairot will be traded for a 1st, so not to Edmonton. Don't forget the draft is 'IN' Montreal so they will want the best return and what's here is not it.
Jan. 3, 2022 at 10:18 a.m.
Evans truther
So you're getting your top 4 defender and I get a cap dump and a conditional 2nd? Whu?
Jan. 3, 2022 at 10:28 a.m.
Buffalo pass
gretzkyghosts liked this.
Jan. 3, 2022 at 10:28 a.m.
Another Oilers team another horrible Chiarot proposal.
Jan. 3, 2022 at 10:58 a.m.
KDow88
I'll be absolutely shocked if Chiarot nets a 1st in return.. If he does, there will be a pick going back the other way, and I LOVE Chiarot, feel like Winnipeg dropped the ball not trying to bring him back.. And, you know teams that have the cap space are usually willing to take the small cap hit in return to bring in other assets too, so the Turris throw in will be more so Edmonton can make the cap work, otherwise, they'd look for Montreal to retain salary on Chiarot, and that goes for ANY team acquiring him who doesn't have the space to get the deal done right away...
TraderJoes liked this.
Jan. 3, 2022 at 11:10 a.m.
MisstheWhalers
Should just keep Yamamoto, he's looking at a cheap bridge deal that the Oilers are going to need, Olofsson will be looking for a raise and the Oilers are tight for cap space, they need the cheaper player.
TraderJoes liked this.
Jan. 3, 2022 at 12:08 p.m.
KDow88
Quoting: MisstheWhalers
Should just keep Yamamoto, he's looking at a cheap bridge deal that the Oilers are going to need, Olofsson will be looking for a raise and the Oilers are tight for cap space, they need the cheaper player.

The issue is, he's not turning into a bonafide top 6 forward, other than the last 2 games, he's been awful all year. He didn't have a shot on goal for what 5 games in a row, has taken bad penalty after bad penalty, plus with his size, he gets knocked off the puck WAYYYYYY to easy, yes, he is a try hard grinder, but he is NOT Martin St Louis and will likely NEVER come close to being that player.. At least with Olofsson you get a solidified Top 6 winger who can play on either wing(yes, would will cost at least $3.25m due to being an RFA for the next 2 seasons, but once the 3 year deal I proposed comes to an end maybe he's more willing to sign a longer term team friendly deal, or one of the prospects they have is ready to play top 6) , and realistically round out the top 6; McDavid, Leon, Nuge, Pupu, Hyman, Olofsson would be a very respectable top 6, with the ability to plus in Kassian, Foegele, or bring up Lavoie, Safin, Holloway should any injuries occur...
Jan. 3, 2022 at 12:54 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Quoting: KDow88
I'll be absolutely shocked if Chiarot nets a 1st in return.. If he does, there will be a pick going back the other way, and I LOVE Chiarot, feel like Winnipeg dropped the ball not trying to bring him back.. And, you know teams that have the cap space are usually willing to take the small cap hit in return to bring in other assets too, so the Turris throw in will be more so Edmonton can make the cap work, otherwise, they'd look for Montreal to retain salary on Chiarot, and that goes for ANY team acquiring him who doesn't have the space to get the deal done right away...

From what I've heard what kept Chiarot from signing in Winnipeg was Bergevin was willing to go three years and Chevy only wanted to go two.
Jan. 3, 2022 at 12:59 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
The issue is, he's not turning into a bonafide top 6 forward, other than the last 2 games, he's been awful all year. He didn't have a shot on goal for what 5 games in a row, has taken bad penalty after bad penalty, plus with his size, he gets knocked off the puck WAYYYYYY to easy, yes, he is a try hard grinder, but he is NOT Martin St Louis and will likely NEVER come close to being that player.. At least with Olofsson you get a solidified Top 6 winger who can play on either wing(yes, would will cost at least $3.25m due to being an RFA for the next 2 seasons, but once the 3 year deal I proposed comes to an end maybe he's more willing to sign a longer term team friendly deal, or one of the prospects they have is ready to play top 6) , and realistically round out the top 6; McDavid, Leon, Nuge, Pupu, Hyman, Olofsson would be a very respectable top 6, with the ability to plus in Kassian, Foegele, or bring up Lavoie, Safin, Holloway should any injuries occur...

Okay, well ask Buffalo fans if they'd accept this, I'm sure they'll say no.

My thought is you sign Yamamoto to a two year bridge deal for like $1.5-1.75M and hope he figures it out, if he doesn't you trade him later for a pick or whatever, in the meantime hopefully Holloway has found a spot in the top 6 and you're running some configuration of McD, Drai, RNH, JP, Hyman and Holloway which would be pretty solid.

I'm not an Oilers fan but really think they need to prioritize adding some better bottom six players, Foegele is good and McLeod looks like he'll get there but after that there isn't much there.
Jan. 3, 2022 at 1:00 p.m.

There just isn't the cap space to sign Olofsson next year, and top-6 winger isn't as pressing as some of the other holes in Edmonton's lineup.
MisstheWhalers liked this.
Jan. 3, 2022 at 1:20 p.m.
KDow88
Okay, well ask Buffalo fans if they'd accept this, I'm sure they'll say no.

My thought is you sign Yamamoto to a two year bridge deal for like $1.5-1.75M and hope he figures it out, if he doesn't you trade him later for a pick or whatever, in the meantime hopefully Holloway has found a spot in the top 6 and you're running some configuration of McD, Drai, RNH, JP, Hyman and Holloway which would be pretty solid.

I'm not an Oilers fan but really think they need to prioritize adding some better bottom six players, Foegele is good and McLeod looks like he'll get there but after that there isn't much there.

That would be such poor asset management, the dude has SOME value, you're better off dealing him in a trade to get a need, Goalie, LH D Man, or another Top 6 forward to a non contender, and start the Lavoie/Holloway/Bourgault professional development at the beginning of next season.. Yamamoto would just be a useless roster spot/cap hit, when you can use that money to re-up Pupu, who has proven he can play in the top 6..
Jan. 3, 2022 at 1:29 p.m.
KDow88
Quoting: TraderJoes
There just isn't the cap space to sign Olofsson next year, and top-6 winger isn't as pressing as some of the other holes in Edmonton's lineup.

Klefbom likely won't be returning to resume his career, which combined with the just over $5m they have in space going into the off season will mean $9m+ in cap space.. To qualify Olofsson they would only need $3.2, hence why I say sign him to a 3 year deal worth roughly $4m per year, he gets a raise, can up his value playing with McDavid/Draisaitl and either re-sign for a bigger ticket(especially given the buyouts/retained salaries would hopefully all be done by then) plus the cap likely to go up a bit more during that time as well.. If not, during that time, Holloway/Lavoie/Bourgault/Tullio etc.. will likely be ready at that point to take over his roster spot in the top 6.. And as I mentioned before, the obvious hole they have is in goal, but I would say next to it is another legit top 6 forward, even more so than another LeftHand D man.. With that said, you're really banking on Skinner or Konovalev to take the reigns from Smith going into next season, and should that not work, look to deal for a goalie at the deadline- with a team retaining salary hopefully... Best case scenario, deal Ceci in any deal to free up another $3.25m and use that money with what is remaining to get a goalie in Edmonton not in their mid to late 30's and not injury prone...
Jan. 3, 2022 at 1:33 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
That would be such poor asset management, the dude has SOME value, you're better off dealing him in a trade to get a need, Goalie, LH D Man, or another Top 6 forward to a non contender, and start the Lavoie/Holloway/Bourgault professional development at the beginning of next season.. Yamamoto would just be a useless roster spot/cap hit, when you can use that money to re-up Pupu, who has proven he can play in the top 6..

Okay then, doubt anyone is trading you that for Yamamoto at this point though.
Jan. 3, 2022 at 1:38 p.m.
KDow88
Okay then, doubt anyone is trading you that for Yamamoto at this point though.

Being a cheap cap hit, and still having some upside, I bet he could be a part of a package deal that would likely net the Oilers a return of sorts.. If not Buffalo, maybe Arizona, Ottawa, Montreal, New Jersey, Chicago and should things not trend positively for the Islanders, even they could look into taking a chance on somebody like Yamamoto for pending UFA or a RFA who is in line for a bit for a raise, that would be more than what they'd need to pay this kid..
Jan. 3, 2022 at 1:56 p.m.
Klefbom likely won't be returning to resume his career, which combined with the just over $5m they have in space going into the off season will mean $9m+ in cap space.. To qualify Olofsson they would only need $3.2, hence why I say sign him to a 3 year deal worth roughly $4m per year, he gets a raise, can up his value playing with McDavid/Draisaitl and either re-sign for a bigger ticket(especially given the buyouts/retained salaries would hopefully all be done by then) plus the cap likely to go up a bit more during that time as well.. If not, during that time, Holloway/Lavoie/Bourgault/Tullio etc.. will likely be ready at that point to take over his roster spot in the top 6.. And as I mentioned before, the obvious hole they have is in goal, but I would say next to it is another legit top 6 forward, even more so than another LeftHand D man.. With that said, you're really banking on Skinner or Konovalev to take the reigns from Smith going into next season, and should that not work, look to deal for a goalie at the deadline- with a team retaining salary hopefully... Best case scenario, deal Ceci in any deal to free up another $3.25m and use that money with what is remaining to get a goalie in Edmonton not in their mid to late 30's and not injury prone...

Don't they have 7-8 free agents next summer? $9M isn't going to go very far, especially with Puljujarvi in the mix for a long-term contract. Now you're suggesting sending Ceci out (further weakening the defense) in order to make room for a winger that they don't need / isn't a priority?? You're making less and less sense with every comment.
Jan. 3, 2022 at 2:50 p.m.
KDow88
Don't they have 7-8 free agents next summer? $9M isn't going to go very far, especially with Puljujarvi in the mix for a long-term contract. Now you're suggesting sending Ceci out (further weakening the defense) in order to make room for a winger that they don't need / isn't a priority?? You're making less and less sense with every comment.

Ceci has been mediocre at best, he can easily be replaced by a Koekkoek or Lagesson in the bottom pairing, hell even Kris Russell is on point with Ceci, I'd much rather deal him and solidify the top 6 forward group, rather than worry about what the bottom pairing d man making $3.25 for the next 3 years will do for the Oilers... Plus worst case scenario you can deal on of Kassian or Barrie, but again these guys are much beloved in the locker room so you're likely going to have to get the ok from the core group before doing so, and it would likely be Kassian before Barrie.. So, with that said, current cap space for next season $5.2 for arguments sake plus the $1m projected cap increase for next seaosn, and Klefbom's LTIR cap hit, actually puts Edmonton to roughly $10.3m, combined with the Kassian/Ceci cap dumps if possible for $6.45m now gives Edmonton $16.75m in cap space to qualify both Olofsson and Pupu(again only 5% raise from the prev salary to qualify) and really lean in to the fact they have Sekera's buyout($1.5m) and Lucic's retention($.75m) coming off the books the following year! So, maybe you give one or both a 1 or 2 year deal with raises obviously and bank on the fact they'll be able to cash in either the following off season, or the one after that when Neal's $1.9 also comes off the books.. But again, for arguments sake, the $16.75m for next off season with the pending moves already mentioned, of the $16.75m Olofsson gets say $3.5m for 1 year, and Pupu $3.5m for 2 years, that leaves $9.75m to fill the holes you're speaking of.. Goaltending, RFA's like McLeod/Benson/Niemalainen/Samorokov/Lagesson to fill out the rest of your roster, not including any PTO's that will likely be signed as well, and maybe make the team... Sorry long winded answer, but I am really thinking outside the box, and other than the Glaring Goaltending need, I would argue getting another bonafide scoring forward would be of more use than another bottom pairing dman.. Tipp should just mix up the d-pairings Nurse-Barrie, Keith-Bouchard, Koekkoek/Lagesson/Niemalainen/Russell- Ceci with the current players..
Jan. 3, 2022 at 3:58 p.m.
Ceci has been mediocre at best, he can easily be replaced by a Koekkoek or Lagesson in the bottom pairing, hell even Kris Russell is on point with Ceci, I'd much rather deal him and solidify the top 6 forward group, rather than worry about what the bottom pairing d man making $3.25 for the next 3 years will do for the Oilers... Plus worst case scenario you can deal on of Kassian or Barrie, but again these guys are much beloved in the locker room so you're likely going to have to get the ok from the core group before doing so, and it would likely be Kassian before Barrie.. So, with that said, current cap space for next season $5.2 for arguments sake plus the $1m projected cap increase for next seaosn, and Klefbom's LTIR cap hit, actually puts Edmonton to roughly $10.3m, combined with the Kassian/Ceci cap dumps if possible for $6.45m now gives Edmonton $16.75m in cap space to qualify both Olofsson and Pupu(again only 5% raise from the prev salary to qualify) and really lean in to the fact they have Sekera's buyout($1.5m) and Lucic's retention($.75m) coming off the books the following year! So, maybe you give one or both a 1 or 2 year deal with raises obviously and bank on the fact they'll be able to cash in either the following off season, or the one after that when Neal's $1.9 also comes off the books.. But again, for arguments sake, the $16.75m for next off season with the pending moves already mentioned, of the $16.75m Olofsson gets say $3.5m for 1 year, and Pupu $3.5m for 2 years, that leaves $9.75m to fill the holes you're speaking of.. Goaltending, RFA's like McLeod/Benson/Niemalainen/Samorokov/Lagesson to fill out the rest of your roster, not including any PTO's that will likely be signed as well, and maybe make the team... Sorry long winded answer, but I am really thinking outside the box, and other than the Glaring Goaltending need, I would argue getting another bonafide scoring forward would be of more use than another bottom pairing dman.. Tipp should just mix up the d-pairings Nurse-Barrie, Keith-Bouchard, Koekkoek/Lagesson/Niemalainen/Russell- Ceci with the current players..

I didn't get past the first sentence where you said "Ceci could easily be replaced by Koekkoek or Lagesson or Russell"... that tells me I can't trust your take on anything hockey-related, so there's no need for me to read further or to continue this conversation.

Have a great day, sir.
Jan. 3, 2022 at 4:58 p.m.
KDow88
I didn't get past the first sentence where you said "Ceci could easily be replaced by Koekkoek or Lagesson or Russell"... that tells me I can't trust your take on anything hockey-related, so there's no need for me to read further or to continue this conversation.

Have a great day, sir.

This coming from a guy who doesn't think Marc Andre Fleury is a significant improvement to Mike Smith.... Cute Take.. I am stating that the $3.25m cap hit in the 3rd pairing d could be much cheaper, and those guys although not my first choice, I'd prefer over a $3.25m Cody Ceci.. If he were even $2.5->$2.75m I'd still think it's an overpayment, but, would be able to live with it...
Jan. 3, 2022 at 5:06 p.m.
This coming from a guy who doesn't think Marc Andre Fleury is a significant improvement to Mike Smith.... Cute Take.. I am stating that the $3.25m cap hit in the 3rd pairing d could be much cheaper, and those guys although not my first choice, I'd prefer over a $3.25m Cody Ceci.. If he were even $2.5->$2.75m I'd still think it's an overpayment, but, would be able to live with it...

Ceci isn't a 3rd pairing D, and none of those guys has the proven ability to play 2RD. Nice try.
Jan. 3, 2022 at 5:17 p.m.
KDow88
Ceci isn't a 3rd pairing D, and none of those guys has the proven ability to play 2RD. Nice try.

Although Ceci is playing the in the 2nd pairing right now, he's not an actual 2nd pairing d man either... If I were Tipp, or Playfair or whomever runs the D Pairings, I would set it up as Nurse-Barrie, Keith-Bouchard, Koekkoek/Lagesson/Broberg/Russell- Ceci... Case and point, look to the Devils game, when the d pairings were set as what is mentioned here half way through the 2nd, the Oilers took over that game, when they reverted back last game and the last period of the Devils they were meh again.. Now, had your Boy Smith been able to STOP a PUCK in the game against the Devils they would've easily won that game, and the game against the Islanders was proof of the lack of scoring depth they need, if Connor or Leon aren't contributing at least one point the scoring "depth" gets as thin as Koskinen's hairline..
Jan. 4, 2022 at 10:31 a.m.
You realize that you just explained why, the difference between Yamamoto and Olofsson is much more than a third and probably more than a 2nd?
Olofsson is an established top 6 LW, with 40 goals over his 140 game career, Yamamoto has only 27 goals over 138 games.
@TraderJoes
@MisstheWhalers
@Fjordy
MisstheWhalers and GMTD liked this.
Jan. 4, 2022 at 10:39 a.m.
KDow88
Quoting: gretzkyghosts
You realize that you just explained why, the difference between Yamamoto and Olofsson is much more than a third and probably more than a 2nd?
Olofsson is an established top 6 LW, with 40 goals over his 140 game career, Yamamoto has only 27 goals over 138 games.
TraderJoes
MisstheWhalers
Fjordy

But, for cap purposes and the upside potential that's where it could be a conditional pick, wouldn't be opposed to having it as a conditional 2nd possibly turning into a 1st pending the playoff performance..
Jan. 4, 2022 at 11:43 a.m.
Quoting: gretzkyghosts
TraderJoes
MisstheWhalers
Fjordy

From Edmonton's side, your numbers don't carry much weight as they include a LOT of powerplay goals and Olofsson most definitely won't displace Draisaitl on the powerplay (they like to shoot from the same spot). Looking at 5v5 goals only and the picture changes drastically:

Yamamoto: 21 goals in 138 games
Olofsson: 13 goals in 141 games

Now consider that Olofsson is 26 while Yamamoto is 23, and then consider their salary projections going forward ($5M range for Olofsson, $2M range for Yamamoto) compared to each team's cap space projection, and it becomes obvious that Edmonton CAN'T make this trade work and Buffalo SHOULDN'T make such a move.
Jan. 4, 2022 at 12:24 p.m.
Thanks for your comment.
I just checked it on https://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/frozenpool_report.php?pos=Forwards&team=EDM&rookie=All&mingp=1&period=2017-2018%3AR&startdate=&enddate=&report=Goals&reportdata_length=30
And here:
https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/seasons/last-5-nhl-seasons-players-stats.html
Yamamoto: 21 goals in 138 games In his career Yamamoto has 23 EVG 3 PPG 1SHG
Olofsson: 13 goals in 141 games In his career Olofsson has 19 EVG and 21 PPG...
At the end of the game PPG and EVG carry the same weight
But the difference is closer than your data.
I would imagine playing for Edmonton, who has had the best PP in each of the last 3 seasons, Olofsson may get even more PPG
I am curious where you found your information.
GMTD liked this.
Jan. 4, 2022 at 12:30 p.m.
KDow88
From Edmonton's side, your numbers don't carry much weight as they include a LOT of powerplay goals and Olofsson most definitely won't displace Draisaitl on the powerplay (they like to shoot from the same spot). Looking at 5v5 goals only and the picture changes drastically:

Yamamoto: 21 goals in 138 games
Olofsson: 13 goals in 141 games

Now consider that Olofsson is 26 while Yamamoto is 23, and then consider their salary projections going forward ($5M range for Olofsson, $2M range for Yamamoto) compared to each team's cap space projection, and it becomes obvious that Edmonton CAN'T make this trade work and Buffalo SHOULDN'T make such a move.

Where do you get these Salary "Projections" from?? They are both RFA's so you don't need to sign them to "projected salaries" you can qualify them, give them a 5% raise, meaning Olofsson would then be $3.2m.. Unless you'd like to explore more term on a deal, don't think he's arb eligible until next off season-haven't looked into it at all TBH.. He also wouldn't be on the first unit PP, likely 2, if he were to play unit 1, the Oilers are a moving unit so it's not like Leon couldn't go to the slot, or they switch or come in on the wing, it's what makes their PP so dynamic, they're not stagnate for the most part..

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll