Forums/NHL Trades

(CHI/PIT) - Nylander for Lafferty

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Feb. 23, 2022 at 9:27 a.m.
sensonfire
Quoting: jr400
You can't judge this trade on Henri Jokiharju. You could if they had traded him for Nylander and then immediately flipped Nylander for Lafferty, but years have passed so it's not realistic to expect Nylander to have the same trade value now that he did then.

I voted fair deal. I was leaning toward Pittsburgh because Lafferty is a pending UFA and Chicago isn't going to make the playoffs this year so a rental is of little value to them. It seems that they're basically just giving up on Nylander and giving him a chance to see if he can fit in better somewhere else. However, Lafferty does appear to be an NHL player -- albeit a 4th liner, but you need them too -- so the Hawks have a chance to see what he can do for them and if he fits in well they'll have first crack at extending him. That would be upside for Chicago given that they don't think Nylander is an NHL player and they probably already decided they weren't going to make him a qualifying offer after this season. Pittsburgh is going to make the playoffs so you'd think that a depth rental would be more valuable to them than to Chicago, but I guess they still see enough potential upside in Nylander to place a little bet on him and see if it pays off. It could easily turn out that neither team gets anything out of this trade, but neither is giving up much so no harm done if that's what happens.

Since I can't get judge this trade on Jokiharju, I'll say this as a means of clarifying what I said:

That it's one loss (first Nylander trade) ...

after another (second Nylander trade) ...

for Chicago.

At least at the time when each trade was made.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit