Forums/Armchair-GM

Thoughts on last night

Created by: arafay
Team: 2021-22 Winnipeg Jets
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 7, 2022
Published: Jan. 7, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I know the jets got blown out last night. I know the avs showed why they are in a league of their own. However, there were some really good things last night.

1) I’m really liking this new system. The jets have always been a big, fast team. Lowry has convinced this team to start getting to the front of the net. While it’s very much a work in progress, but we are seeing the effects already. While the jets need to build on that, it’s very good to see.

2) The jets have the talent and skill to go with anyone. There were long periods of time when the jets were absolutely dominant last night, even though they got blown out. That proved that the jets could do it, but simply didn’t have the conviction to play that style for much time.

3) Perfetti looked really good. He’s going to take some time getting used to the nhl speed but he is a guy who is going to start taking over some games soon. The jets have some high end weapons on this roster and once perfetti adjusts to the nhl speed, he can go with anyone. I’d like to see him get into at least the Detroit game, even if it’s on the 4th line. Last year we saw heinola get better each game as he got used to the nhl speed. Once perfetti does the same, I don’t think he will be looking back.

4) I’m really liking what reichel brings. He’s big and fast. The perfect 3rd/4th line player.

Things we learned:
1) Schmidt needs a stable puck mover next to him if he’s on the off-side. Like most defensemen playing on their off-side, Schmidt struggles controlling pucks under pressure on his off-side. He needs a stable partner who can help him out. Much like the role demelo plays for morrissey. I do think that Morrissey can play that role, but they are streaky together. I would explore the option of swapping Dillon and Schmidt. I think that a Schmidt-pionk pairing could be great.

2) The Dillon-pionk pairing needs a break. They force too much, and both need a revivals of sorts. Dillon isn’t playing that aggressive style he was early on and pionk isn’t moving the puck like he can. Give pionk a few games with another puck mover to get him going and give Dillon more of a shutdown role. Then re-visit the pairing when both players get back on their games.

3) Time to bring heinola up. The kid is dominating the AHL and is more than ready. Demelo is out so now is as good a time as any.

4) The avs have a “nuclear option”. The oilers have one. The bruins do. The lightning do. Etc. The jets used to have one but Wheeler is aged. Therefore, if I’m the jets, I would explore a new “nuclear option” of Connor-Sheifele-dubios. Like all the lines mentioned above, they have size, speed, and so much skill. It’s worth a look every once in a while.

Based on those edits, my lines for next game (assuming guys in covid protocol are still in protocol) are below.
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$76,266,313$145,122$1,407,500$5,233,687
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$3,750,000$3,750,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$6,125,000$6,125,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$7,142,857$7,142,857
LW
UFA - 5
$5,000,000$5,000,000
C
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
LW, C
RFA - 3
$3,640,000$3,640,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,250,000$3,250,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$750,000$750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$752,500$752,500
RW
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LD
UFA - 7
$863,333$863,333
LD
RFA - 3
$6,166,667$6,166,667
G
UFA - 3
$5,950,000$5,950,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$5,875,000$5,875,000
RD
UFA - 4
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
LD
RFA - 2
$3,900,000$3,900,000
LD
UFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$8,250,000$8,250,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 3
$725,000$725,000
LW
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
LW
UFA - 1
$5,291,667$5,291,667
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$817,500$817,500 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
LW, C
RFA - 1
Taxi Squad
$845,833$845,833 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
G
RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 7, 2022 at 12:31 p.m.
What if DeMelo and Harkins are back? They might be, given the 5 day quarantine rules (assuming no symptoms)
I'd say then Harkins in for Ves. Then DeMelo in for Stan, and the pairings are
JMo-Ville
Schmidt-Pionk
Dillon-DD
Then Wheeler probably on the 2nd or 3rd line (If Perfetti is rolling then Wheeler on the 3rd)
arafay liked this.
Jan. 7, 2022 at 12:32 p.m.
retired
jets played pretty well but were helpless against the topline. they got outworked and outmuscled and hellebuyck had an off game. they should make the playoffs.
arafay liked this.
Jan. 7, 2022 at 12:38 p.m.
Lenny7
High five for pulling the positives out of a rough night. A refreshing change from the "TrAdE eVeRyOnE!!!" threads that are typically on here.

Haven't seen a lot of the Jets this year, but I'm guessing you need to figure out a solid shut down line if the plan is to make a run in the playoffs.
arafay liked this.
Jan. 7, 2022 at 12:51 p.m.
Quoting: hwjw
What if DeMelo and Harkins are back? They might be, given the 5 day quarantine rules (assuming no symptoms)
I'd say then Harkins in for Ves. Then DeMelo in for Stan, and the pairings are
JMo-Ville
Schmidt-Pionk
Dillon-DD
Then Wheeler probably on the 2nd or 3rd line (If Perfetti is rolling then Wheeler on the 3rd)

I like it, though I would consider swapping demelo and heinola.
hwjw liked this.
Jan. 7, 2022 at 12:56 p.m.
Quoting: DirtyDangle
jets played pretty well but were helpless against the topline. they got outworked and outmuscled and hellebuyck had an off game. they should make the playoffs.

I have no doubt in my mind that they are going to make the playoffs. Helley was a bit shaky, I’ll give you that. His rebound control wasn’t where we are used to (most goals scored by the avs we’re off a rebound). However, this team absolutely folded the second the avs scored the second gold. Like wtf was that??? They were playing great until then but seemed to give up in a 1 goal game and often left helle out to dry. Just clear the front of the net like you were in the 1st period and you avoid most of those goals. Everyone is blaming Lowry but it’s the players who stopped playing the system he has been coaching for 3 weeks.

Overall though, I think these are growing pains with the new coach. Lowry also panicked and started moving guys around like crazy. Overall, it was a complete ****show after the 1st period. But the first period showed us where the jets are going under Lowry and I like it
DirtyDangle liked this.
Jan. 7, 2022 at 12:59 p.m.
Quoting: Lenny7
High five for pulling the positives out of a rough night. A refreshing change from the "TrAdE eVeRyOnE!!!" threads that are typically on here.

Haven't seen a lot of the Jets this year, but I'm guessing you need to figure out a solid shut down line if the plan is to make a run in the playoffs.

We already have a couple of lines who go head to head with the best but due to injury and panic moves last night, both of those lines were broken up. The lines I’m talking about are Connor-dubios-3rd guy
Copp-Lowry-3rd guy.

Those pairs are quite effective working together.

Read my post above. I actually liked their game until everyone (coach included) panicked early in the 2nd.
Lenny7 liked this.
Jan. 7, 2022 at 1:01 p.m.
retired
Quoting: arafay
I have no doubt in my mind that they are going to make the playoffs. Helley was a bit shaky, I’ll give you that. His rebound control wasn’t where we are used to (most goals scored by the avs we’re off a rebound). However, this team absolutely folded the second the avs scored the second gold. Like wtf was that??? They were playing great until then but seemed to give up in a 1 goal game and often left helle out to dry. Just clear the front of the net like you were in the 1st period and you avoid most of those goals. Everyone is blaming Lowry but it’s the players who stopped playing the system he has been coaching for 3 weeks.

Overall though, I think these are growing pains with the new coach. Lowry also panicked and started moving guys around like crazy. Overall, it was a complete ****show after the 1st period. But the first period showed us where the jets are going under Lowry and I like it

yea avs feasted on the rebounds, there was no one there to clear them. the powerplay was solid too. avs had a slow start but i found them dominant almost the entire game with the exception of the first 10 minutes and a late push by the jets in the 3rd.
arafay liked this.
Jan. 7, 2022 at 1:04 p.m.
I would have:
JMo-Schmidt
Heinola-Pionk
Dillion-DeMelo
Jan. 7, 2022 at 1:05 p.m.
Lenny7
We already have a couple of lines who go head to head with the best but due to injury and panic moves last night, both of those lines were broken up. The lines I’m talking about are Connor-dubios-3rd guy
Copp-Lowry-3rd guy.

Those pairs are quite effective working together.

Read my post above. I actually liked their game until everyone (coach included) panicked early in the 2nd.

Ah, missed that part! Cheers!
arafay liked this.
Jan. 7, 2022 at 2:08 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Its hard to judge a team or game when one side gets awful goaltending and can appreciate your optimism but I just don't think the Jets are in the same class as the Avs.

I think a bigger overhaul is needed.
arafay liked this.
Jan. 7, 2022 at 6:39 p.m.
yea avs feasted on the rebounds, there was no one there to clear them. the powerplay was solid too. avs had a slow start but i found them dominant almost the entire game with the exception of the first 10 minutes and a late push by the jets in the 3rd.

I don’t think the avs had a slow start. They played the same way for the full 60 mins. The jets are the ones that crashed and burned
Jan. 7, 2022 at 6:40 p.m.
Quoting: MisstheWhalers
Its hard to judge a team or game when one side gets awful goaltending and can appreciate your optimism but I just don't think the Jets are in the same class as the Avs.

The avs are in a league of their own. I’m not denying it. But I’m saying that there were a lot of good things in the game regardless of the result
Jan. 7, 2022 at 6:55 p.m.
retired
I don’t think the avs had a slow start. They played the same way for the full 60 mins. The jets are the ones that crashed and burned

yea the took a dumb penalty and the jets scored. after that their forecheck sucked and they couldn't get anything going in the offensive zone. they just skate in and lose it. jets were getting their chances. it was about 10 minutes of unimpressive hockey.
Jan. 7, 2022 at 7:25 p.m.
Banned

Growing pains? Where were these so called growing pains with the Canucks when they made their coaching change?

I'm not a Jets fan so you can take what I have to say with a grain of salt, but since you guys had such high expectations going into this season (Everyone pegged them to take 2nd in the Central behind Colorado, speaking of) and seeing where they are actually at, I must admit I'm becoming inclined to believe there needs to be some significant roster overhaul if they are to take a step forward since they are all capped out as it is. Not suggesting a full on rebuild of course, but a serious retool for sure, and I'm not sure if Chevy should be the guy to do it
MisstheWhalers liked this.
Jan. 7, 2022 at 7:40 p.m.
yea the took a dumb penalty and the jets scored. after that their forecheck sucked and they couldn't get anything going in the offensive zone. they just skate in and lose it. jets were getting their chances. it was about 10 minutes of unimpressive hockey.

I actually think colorado played the same way the full 60 mins. But the jets were actually playing well the first period so the avs didn’t look “good” (in quotations because I’m comparing it to the 2nd and 3rd periods). I think the result isn’t because the avs turned it up (cause I honestly don’t think they did), but rather it’s cause the jets panicked and made terrible decisions, coach included
Jan. 7, 2022 at 7:46 p.m.
Quoting: Knuckl3s
Growing pains? Where were these so called growing pains with the Canucks when they made their coaching change?

I'm not a Jets fan so you can take what I have to say with a grain of salt, but since you guys had such high expectations going into this season (Everyone pegged them to take 2nd in the Central behind Colorado, speaking of) and seeing where they are actually at, I must admit I'm becoming inclined to believe there needs to be some significant roster overhaul if they are to take a step forward since they are all capped out as it is. Not suggesting a full on rebuild of course, but a serious retool for sure, and I'm not sure if Chevy should be the guy to do it

Not every team is the same. And I wouldn’t call them growing pains. The jets simply are still learning lowry’s system. And the canucks were a unique situation where a coaching change sparked the team. Additionally, the canucks’ new coaching system isn’t so different than their old one, while the jets one is completely different and totally new (keep in mind that maurice is the only nhl coach most of these guys have ever had). I just think you are comparing apples and oranges. Also, to be clear, I’m not saying that even after the jets execute the Lowry system correctly that they are at the avs level, that’s simply not true. The avs are a much better team on every portion of the ice (outside goaltending). But the expectation of 2nd best in the central can easily be met if they do.
Jan. 7, 2022 at 7:51 p.m.
Banned
Not every team is the same. And I wouldn’t call them growing pains. The jets simply are still learning lowry’s system. And the canucks were a unique situation where a coaching change sparked the team. Additionally, the canucks’ new coaching system isn’t so different than their old one, while the jets one is completely different and totally new (keep in mind that maurice is the only nhl coach most of these guys have ever had). I just think you are comparing apples and oranges. Also, to be clear, I’m not saying that even after the jets execute the Lowry system correctly that they are at the avs level, that’s simply not true. The avs are a much better team on every portion of the ice (outside goaltending). But the expectation of 2nd best in the central can easily be met if they do.

Fair point, but I take it it's kind of late for the Jets to still be flirting with the idea of making it to 2nd in the Central. They should make the playoffs however, I do think they are a better team than Dallas for sure. I even think Nashville is somewhat overachieving and wouldn't be surprised to see them fall back down to Earth a bit
Jan. 7, 2022 at 7:57 p.m.
Fair point, but I take it it's kind of late for the Jets to still be flirting with the idea of making it to 2nd in the Central. They should make the playoffs however, I do think they are a better team than Dallas for sure. I even think Nashville is somewhat overachieving and wouldn't be surprised to see them fall back down to Earth a bit

I mean, the difference between 2nd and the jets is 6 points right now with a game in hand. I don’t think for a second it’s out of reach with 49 games left, especially if the jets start playing at the level we expect/know they can. Also keep in mind that the jets are without Wheeler right now.

Also, I agree that the preds are bound to fall off a cliff soon.
Jan. 7, 2022 at 8:06 p.m.
Banned
I mean, the difference between 2nd and the jets is 6 points right now with a game in hand. I don’t think for a second it’s out of reach with 49 games left, especially if the jets start playing at the level we expect/know they can. Also keep in mind that the jets are without Wheeler right now.

Also, I agree that the preds are bound to fall off a cliff soon.

Personally, I'm not very optimistic about Wheeler, I think he may have fallen off that cliff we sometimes refer to only this time, I mean in terms of his individual play. Jet's bottom six is also quite weak, which nobody really talks about strangely
MisstheWhalers liked this.
Jan. 7, 2022 at 8:18 p.m.
retired
I actually think colorado played the same way the full 60 mins. But the jets were actually playing well the first period so the avs didn’t look “good” (in quotations because I’m comparing it to the 2nd and 3rd periods). I think the result isn’t because the avs turned it up (cause I honestly don’t think they did), but rather it’s cause the jets panicked and made terrible decisions, coach included

i have the opposite view. avs became more disciplined and making smarter plays after they finally got on the board. i didn't notice much difference in the jets. avs finally started to put in the effort and overwhelmed the jets in the last 2 periods. avs tend to take the 1st off, it's been a trend that they blow the game open in the 2nd. what you witnessed is just the motivated avs and unmotivated avs.
Jan. 7, 2022 at 9:07 p.m.
MisstheWhalers

I wasn't one with high expectations, I figured they could make the playoffs but the best they could do would be a 2nd round exit, they're just not good enough.

I never believed in Maurice but I also didn't think the Jets were as good as some thought they were.

They need an overhaul, I too wonder if Chevy is the guy to do it though and if they even see they need to do one.
Jan. 7, 2022 at 9:19 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Personally, I'm not very optimistic about Wheeler, I think he may have fallen off that cliff we sometimes refer to only this time, I mean in terms of his individual play. Jet's bottom six is also quite weak, which nobody really talks about strangely

Yeah the Jets bottom six has been super weak for years yet it gets hyped and called good by many fans and hockey talking heads which I find laughable, I hear about the Jets depth all the time and I'm thinking whats this depth they're referring to?.. lol
arafay liked this.
Jan. 8, 2022 at 2:04 a.m.

Wheeler has fallen off a cliff, I’m not saying he’s a huge player. However, his production is still missed since it was pretty significant. The jets are mired with injuries right now and are playing like 1/3 an ahl lineup. Now is not the best time to talk about depth lol
Jan. 8, 2022 at 2:12 a.m.
i have the opposite view. avs became more disciplined and making smarter plays after they finally got on the board. i didn't notice much difference in the jets. avs finally started to put in the effort and overwhelmed the jets in the last 2 periods. avs tend to take the 1st off, it's been a trend that they blow the game open in the 2nd. what you witnessed is just the motivated avs and unmotivated avs.

First of all, saying they got more disciplined when they took more penalties in the following periods is ironic and simply false. As I said, the jets simply fell off a cliff after the avs’ 2nd goal. The jets had 5 (Or 4 I think) more power play opportunities but failed to generate good chances. That’s not on the avs’ good play, that’s on the jets’ poor play.

As I said, I clearly saw a different avs team than you did. I think they came out gunning and played with similar pace the whole game. While you could say the avs top line turned it up (and you would be right), but I don’t think that applies to the whole team. The simple fact is that this loss is more on the jets than it is on the avs’ good play (which I am not denying).

The jets simply panicked when they got a little adversity. I’ve never seen this team do it quite this badly (at least that I can think of) but it was brutal. It also didn’t help that Lowry started confusing the players mid game by changing the lines every rotation. The second period was a ****show. And a lot of that is on lowry. He changed the lines so much that you could tell how confused the jets forwards were in the 2nd. And that’s when the avs did the most damage.

If the jets don’t panic like that, I think the game is much closer. 3-1/4-1 win for the avs. I still don’t think the jets win that, but it wouldn’t be a blowout. Without helle playing at the top of his game (which he very much wasnt), the jets don’t have much of a chance against an elite team like the avs
Jan. 8, 2022 at 2:19 a.m.
Yeah the Jets bottom six has been super weak for years yet it gets hyped and called good by many fans and hockey talking heads which I find laughable, I hear about the Jets depth all the time and I'm thinking whats this depth they're referring to?.. lol

For once I agree with you here. The jets have never had huge depth (not even in the wcf run). I think fans are all amped up because of the jets’ 3rd line from last year contributing up to a goal a game at times. However, they don’t realize that good dpeth also means you have 4 lines that can score, not just 3 and then the 4th one is there just to kill time.

That being said, when healthy, I think the jets have a a real shot at having some real depth this year. Assuming svechnikov, harkins or even perfetti can lock down the spot next to Connor and dubios and Stastny continues to play well on the top line, the bottom six could be deep this year.

Copp-Lowry-Wheeler
Harkins/Vesalainen/svechnikov-gus/toninato-Harkins/Vesalainen/svechnikov

If Lowry actually runs a rotation (something pomo had never done with the jets), we could have some real depth.

But for now, out bottom 6 is an ahl team…

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll