Forums/Armchair-GM

Edmonton Blockbuster

Created by: SlevinKalevra
Team: 2021-22 Dallas Stars
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 7, 2022
Published: Jan. 7, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Edmonton gets upgrades at every position for a cup run along with some long term cap relief assuming Klinger is just a rental. Stars get another first round pick and a few quality young players and have Barrie to recover some of the lost offense. Kailer gets a fresh start. If he can’t find his groove with JRob and Hintz he’s a lost cause. Kivi and Faksa can go with Comeau where they belong. The fact that Bones still feeds Faksa minutes after how bad he’s been this year is mind boggling
Trades
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$80,152,905$927,073$1,797,500$1,347,095
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$795,000$795,000 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
LW, RW
RFA - 1
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$3,150,000$3,150,000
C
UFA - 2
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$1,175,000$1,175,000
RW
RFA - 1
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$2,550,000$2,550,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$9,500,000$9,500,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$9,850,000$9,850,000
C, RW
NMC
UFA - 6
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$842,500$842,500 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
LW, C
RFA - 2
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$803,333$803,333 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
C
RFA - 2
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$6,250,000$6,250,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
LW
RFA - 1
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$537,500$538K)
RW
RFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$3,650,000$3,650,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$8,450,000$8,450,000
LD/RD
UFA - 8
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$5,800,000$5,800,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 3
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$537,500$538K)
G
RFA - 1
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
LD
RFA - 3
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RD
UFA - 3
$4,500,000$4,500,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$750,000$750,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$4,916,667$4,916,667
G
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$750,000$750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 7, 2022 at 10:01 p.m.
Nuggy to Draisaitl
I guess we accept?
Jan. 7, 2022 at 10:04 p.m.
Quoting: Stuey4Vezina
I guess we accept?

Checks a lot of boxes while moving pieces I’d think Edmonton would be willing to move
Jan. 7, 2022 at 10:08 p.m.
I make typos
that is a lot to take in
Jan. 7, 2022 at 10:09 p.m.
EclipzeEDM
Klingberg isn’t an upgrade defensively from Barrie so it’s not really and upgrade for Edmonton. I like Joe for a 1st but not with Yamo.
TraderJoes and CD282 liked this.
Jan. 7, 2022 at 10:37 p.m.
Quoting: Eclipze
Klingberg isn’t an upgrade defensively from Barrie so it’s not really and upgrade for Edmonton. I like Joe for a 1st but not with Yamo.

Klingberg defensive play is underrated. He just need to play in a much suitable system. On top of that, he is a total playoff beast.

You want a deep playoff run and want to please McJesus? This trade gives you just that.
Stuey4Vezina liked this.
Jan. 7, 2022 at 10:43 p.m.
Good job. I just wish we would have the GM to pull something like that off.

Nill is completely asleep at the wheel in the trading department. I never saw a GM so inactive in my 132 years of following pro sports.

And the usage of Faksa is mesmerizing. Often, he is the F with the most even strength ice time, even in games where we are trailing. On top of that, he plays in OT!

That HC must be the most incompetent HC of the NHL.
Jan. 7, 2022 at 10:58 p.m.
What in tarnation
I think it's pretty meh for Dallas all things considered.

Barrie and Koskinen are just plain old bad. I see Oilers fans dumping Barrie for a 5th or so.

Broberg isn't developing as planned and as LHD I see a little room for him.

Yamamoto would fall under the same niche as Gurianov in our system, so we won't get much out of him, plus he's due for an extension this year.

It's not the worst package I've seen but imo we could do a lot better dealing these assets separately.
Jan. 7, 2022 at 11:02 p.m.
Quoting: justaBoss

Barrie and Koskinen are just plain old bad. I see Oilers fans dumping Barrie for a 5th or so.

Yamamoto would fall under the same niche as Gurianov in our system, so we won't get much out of him, plus he's due for an extension this year.

It's not the worst package I've seen but imo we could do a lot better dealing these assets separately.

I don’t disagree. I just liked the idea of one big trade and wanted to have a look at it
justaBoss liked this.
Jan. 7, 2022 at 11:06 p.m.

I don’t see Bones being here next year. The fact that Faksa still gets fed minutes as bad as he’s been and it taking this long to figure out how to get offense out of Guri… I could see Denny and Kailer being very nice top six pieces moving forward if they can find their games and some consistency
Jan. 7, 2022 at 11:08 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: SlevinKalevra
I don’t see Bones being here next year. The fact that Faksa still gets fed minutes as bad as he’s been and it taking this long to figure out how to get offense out of Guri… I could see Denny and Kailer being very nice top six pieces moving forward if they can find their games and some consistency

Think it depends whether we end up in playoffs or not. I certainly hope we get a new coach but knowing Nill's MO he's not going to make any rash decisions.
Jan. 7, 2022 at 11:16 p.m.
Think it depends whether we end up in playoffs or not. I certainly hope we get a new coach but knowing Nill's MO he's not going to make any rash decisions.

If we miss the playoffs (we will) Nill can go too. I think we could easily do worse at the GM position but I’m running out of energy defending the guy at this point. I say there’s a 70% chance we get somebody worse than him. He hasn’t been active enough but at least we’ve had some decent drafts lately
Edit: I don’t think we do anything rash but I do think we overreact to things. We got beat by a heavy team. Let’s add size and play more defensive. That didn’t work let’s draft some skill. We’re too all over the place. I’d like some new faces followed by a steady path
Jan. 7, 2022 at 11:19 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: SlevinKalevra
If we miss the playoffs (we will) Nill can go too. I think we could easily do worse at the GM position but I’m running out of energy defending the guy at this point. I say there’s a 70% chance we get somebody worse than him. He hasn’t been active enough but at least we’ve had some decent drafts lately

I'd favor for a new front office too. I'd prefer having a GM in my favorite team more competent at his job than my cat - because neither of those do absolutely nothing mid season.
EsoYeezus69 and Goofie liked this.
Jan. 7, 2022 at 11:52 p.m.
Bringer_Of_Snow
Value probably isn't far off, but it makes no sense for the Oilers. Trading 3 (Broberg, 2022 1st, Yamamoto) of arguably their top 5 valuable trade chips for rentals who they can't resign. Klingberg requested a trade due to his contract demands not being met. Seeing what others resigned for this offseason (Nurse, Heiskenan, McAvoy, Jones etc.), theres precedent to say he's going to get $8.5M+ minimum. Im not saying hes on their level, but when you are one of the top UFA dmen availible, someones going to give it. Oilers can not afford that. Pavelski would be a great pickup for any team, but theres less than a 0% chance he resigns in Edmonton. Holtby has openly said in the past he does not want to play in Edmonton. Maybe there is a chance, but its not like he is a long term solution.

Before the responses saying "you gotta improve or McDavid will leave" pour in, I would like to make it clear I am on board trading every single pick and prospect (not named Holloway) for help. But we need guys with term. This team as of right now is so far away from being cup contenders. Selling the farm to win a round or two, then be in a worse spot next season with no trade chips or cap space is just reckless. If they make those improvements, then you I'm fine with rentals. And I still think they will get some depth guys on expiring deals. But the bigger trade chips (Broberg, Bourgault, Samorukov, Lavoie, Savoie, 1st and 2nds) need to be put towards guys who are locked in.

Klingberg at his acquisition cost and contract demands is not even a possibility for the Oilers
Jan. 8, 2022 at 12:37 a.m.
I make typos

Barrie is not bad it is Bouchard is better and Tippet refuses to but Bouch on the pp1 and Koskinen can be ok sometimes but his okay games get massively overshadowed by his bad ones I would be completely fine with him as a under 1.5 mil back up

Broberg is developing just fine, some people think he sucks cuz he was bad at the last WJC but that was because he was playing with injury because as the captain of team Sweden he didn't not want to play and in the first game where he wasn't injured he had 2 assists, so far in his first AHL season he has 2G 10A for 12PTS and is +5 in 18 games

Yamomoto is very good defensively and his offensive game has started to pick up in the past week or so, he had point in the last game and he had a 3 point game vs. NJD aswell
Jan. 8, 2022 at 3:00 a.m.
Quoting: Eclipze

Klingberg is definitely an upgrade over Barrie defensively. But man the Oilers get shafted in this deal by having to trade Yamamoto, Broberg and another 1st on top of that.
Jan. 8, 2022 at 5:42 a.m.
EclipzeEDM
Quoting: Chopper02
Klingberg is definitely an upgrade over Barrie defensively. But man the Oilers get shafted in this deal by having to trade Yamamoto, Broberg and another 1st on top of that.

Both rank in the bottom 5 percentile.
CD282 liked this.
Jan. 8, 2022 at 10:57 a.m.

Wow, that's a biased take.

- Barrie is worth more than Klingberg. They're about equal defensively while Barrie is better offensively, plus Barrie has term and isn't demanding a ridiculous contract next summer.

- I'm not sure what your expectations were for Broberg, but his scoring in the AHL at age 20 is in the top-20 all time and in the range of guys like Theodore, Dumba, Gonchar, Subban, Bouchard and Barrie; ahead of notable names like DeAngelo, Dunn, Ellis, Weber and Josi. He's a top-flight prospect.
Eclipze liked this.
Jan. 8, 2022 at 11:11 a.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: CD282

- Barrie is worth more than Klingberg. They're about equal defensively while Barrie is better offensively, plus Barrie has term and isn't demanding a ridiculous contract next summer.

- I'm not sure what your expectations were for Broberg, but his scoring in the AHL at age 20 is in the top-20 all time and in the range of guys like Theodore, Dumba, Gonchar, Subban, Bouchard and Barrie; ahead of notable names like DeAngelo, Dunn, Ellis, Weber and Josi. He's a top-flight prospect.

I think you lost all credibility you had after you claimed Barrie is worth more than Klingberg. He gets regularly dumped to any team in the league in exchange to low picks or players like Hakanpää by EDM fans, but no one has put forth a Klingberg trade of him returning less than first round pick and a solid prospect. Seems like you're the only Oilers fan who holds Barrie at actual good value.

As for Broberg I admit what I said was a bit off, but it doesn't change the fact we don't have room or need for him, and if he was developing like 8th overall pick would he'd already be in your system, because at the end of the day Oilers' LHD core is not that competitive. It's Nurse and then there's a big step down towards declining Keith and Russell/Koekkoek. The more recent 5-10th overall D-man picks like Hughes, Frysdale and Boqvist for instance have made a greater impression thus far without extended stints in AHL.
Jan. 8, 2022 at 11:55 a.m.
I think you lost all credibility you had after you claimed Barrie is worth more than Klingberg. He gets regularly dumped to any team in the league in exchange to low picks or players like Hakanpää by EDM fans, but no one has put forth a Klingberg trade of him returning less than first round pick and a solid prospect. Seems like you're the only Oilers fan who holds Barrie at actual good value.

As for Broberg I admit what I said was a bit off, but it doesn't change the fact we don't have room or need for him, and if he was developing like 8th overall pick would he'd already be in your system, because at the end of the day Oilers' LHD core is not that competitive. It's Nurse and then there's a big step down towards declining Keith and Russell/Koekkoek. The more recent 5-10th overall D-man picks like Hughes, Frysdale and Boqvist for instance have made a greater impression thus far without extended stints in AHL.

So fans set a player's trade value now? tears of joy You lost all credibility with that statement.
Jan. 8, 2022 at 12:05 p.m.
What in tarnation
So fans set a player's trade value now? tears of joy You lost all credibility with that statement.

At this site? Yes. We're not f*cking GMs here, we don't know how they evaluate their assets. We can only guess and guesstimate about things, based mostly on hindsight and/or stats.

Why do you think there's almost never an exactly fair trade? Because people value stuff differently. A general manager thought it'd be a great idea to move two firsts for Rasmus f*cking Ristolainen. I'm pretty sure everyone here unanimously thought that Adams robbed Fletcher blind with that one.
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Jan. 8, 2022 at 12:23 p.m.
At this site? Yes. We're not f*cking GMs here, we don't know how they evaluate their assets. We can only guess and guesstimate about things, based mostly on hindsight and/or stats.

Why do you think there's almost never an exactly fair trade? Because people value stuff differently. A general manager thought it'd be a great idea to move two firsts for Rasmus f*cking Ristolainen. I'm pretty sure everyone here unanimously thought that Adams robbed Fletcher blind with that one.

Sure, and a section of a fan base selling one of the best offensive defensemen of his generation for nothing is credible, huh? Okay, bud. You base your assessment of player value on whatever random people on the internet are saying you want. I won't.
Jan. 8, 2022 at 12:27 p.m.
What in tarnation
Sure, and a section of a fan base selling one of the best offensive defensemen of his generation for nothing is credible, huh? Okay, bud. You base your assessment of player value on whatever random people on the internet are saying you want. I won't.

Here's the thing - my own estimation is worth nothing without taking into account the consensus opinion. No discussion is fruitful if they value their own guesstimate that much above others. There's nothing to learn. I'm not here because I'm interested in teaching people, I'm here because I'm interested in learning how they value assets.
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Jan. 8, 2022 at 1:42 p.m.
Nuggy to Draisaitl

The only thing Barrie is good at is PP, defensively he makes a load of mistakes in our zone and Klingberg is a wayy better defensive upgrade than him
Jan. 8, 2022 at 5:52 p.m.
Quoting: Stuey4Vezina
The only thing Barrie is good at is PP, defensively he makes a load of mistakes in our zone and Klingberg is a wayy better defensive upgrade than him

This is what's wrong with Oilers fans - you don't even know what you have so you end up running useful players out of town as a result. Barrie ISN'T only good on the powerplay, he's also elite offensively at 5v5 too. And his defensive issues are overblown - his defensive rels are so close to Klingberg's you can't actually tell who is better defensively. They're essentially equal. One thing is obvious though, and that is that Barrie is better offensively.

Also, your talk of defensive mistakes reminds me that CoH actually counts mistakes made, here are the Oilers defensemen in major mistakes per 15 this season:

Ceci: 1.17
Nurse: 1.43
Barrie: 1.51
Russell: 1.57
Broberg: 1.65
Bouchard: 1.95
Koekkoek: 2.05
Keith: 2.16

And here's the thing: Barrie has the 2nd highest rate of contributions to grade A scoring chances (after Bouchard), so his net differential is #1 on the team. So stop parroting what the haters are saying and look at the facts for once.

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/short-of-firing-dave-tippett-what-can-the-edmonton-oilers-do-to-fix-this-sinking-ship
Jan. 8, 2022 at 6:45 p.m.
Nuggy to Draisaitl
This is what's wrong with Oilers fans - you don't even know what you have so you end up running useful players out of town as a result. Barrie ISN'T only good on the powerplay, he's also elite offensively at 5v5 too. And his defensive issues are overblown - his defensive rels are so close to Klingberg's you can't actually tell who is better defensively. They're essentially equal. One thing is obvious though, and that is that Barrie is better offensively.

Also, your talk of defensive mistakes reminds me that CoH actually counts mistakes made, here are the Oilers defensemen in major mistakes per 15 this season:

Ceci: 1.17
Nurse: 1.43
Barrie: 1.51
Russell: 1.57
Broberg: 1.65
Bouchard: 1.95
Koekkoek: 2.05
Keith: 2.16

And here's the thing: Barrie has the 2nd highest rate of contributions to grade A scoring chances (after Bouchard), so his net differential is #1 on the team. So stop parroting what the haters are saying and look at the facts for once.

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/short-of-firing-dave-tippett-what-can-the-edmonton-oilers-do-to-fix-this-sinking-ship

Here's the thing:
Tyson Barrie heavily relies on McDavid for defense AND OFFENSE. He is below average offensively and defensively with Connor McDavid.

GF% Barrie without McDavid: 45.45%
GF% Barrie with McDavid: 57.14%

What's worse? McDavid does better without him.
GF% McDavid without Barrie: 61.54%

what'd you say he's better 5v5?
Only 1 goal 5v5 out of his 3 goals this season
points 5v5? tied with DUNCAN KEITH and less than CODY CECI.

Why do you think Bouchard was elevated to the top pair with Nurse? EXACTLY BECAUSE BARRIE CAN'T PLAY DEFENSE WITH NURSE.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll