SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021-2022 NHL Discussion Thread #10 - Happy New Year!

Jan. 14, 2022 at 10:55 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
So I just heard the McDavid clip where he’s talking about Kane…

Holy ****. He has lost so much respect from me. And I am 100% sure that Connor McDavid is an emotionless robot engineered to be good at hockey. The worst part is that he didn’t need to say anything, but with his incompetence he had to dig himself deeper in his hole.
capsfan2121 and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Jan. 14, 2022 at 10:58 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15

Holy ****. He has lost so much respect from me. And I am 100% sure that Connor McDavid is an emotionless robot engineered to be good at hockey. The worst part is that he didn’t need to say anything, but with his incompetence he had to dig himself deeper in his hole.

I 100% agree with you. He does not show any emotion whatsoever. He reminds me of Johnny t
Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Jan. 14, 2022 at 10:59 p.m.
Go leafs go

Ya, he basically said "as long as he helps on the ice that's the only thing that matters", didn't he? Still one of my favourite players but that certainly isn't a good look to not care about what kind of people his teammates are.
Jan. 14, 2022 at 11:04 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

Its like we haven't learned anything from the Chicago Kyle Beach situation where Chicago chose winning over justice. While Kane didnt do something like that he is not what I like to call a golden child or non-guilty candidate.

Winning at all cost is not always the answer

As is it really worth lowering your image
capsfan2121, Kotkaniemi15, EsoYeezus69 and 2 others liked this.
Jan. 14, 2022 at 11:05 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: Saskleaf
Ya, he basically said "as long as he helps on the ice that's the only thing that matters", didn't he? Still one of my favourite players but that certainly isn't a good look to not care about what kind of people his teammates are.

Essentially.

The way he said it was like he was blaming the fans for disliking Kane, and that people’s real grievances don’t matter if it helps them win hockey games.

Connor McDavid’s personality certainly isn’t out in the media much, and in the clip he comes off as a privileged asshole that doesn’t care about anything outside his own little bubble. And the fact that he chose to answer like this when 99% of players would’ve deflected or not answered is even more damning as to his overall character.
A_Habs_fan, zk97 and Saskleaf liked this.
Jan. 14, 2022 at 11:06 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: aadoyle
Its like we havent learned anything from the Chicago situation

Winning at all cost is not always the answer

As is it really worth lowering your image

Exactly. There was absolutely no benefit that could’ve come from answering the question like that, and no one would’ve blamed him to give a non-answer.
aadoyle liked this.
Jan. 14, 2022 at 11:15 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: EsoYeezus69
61ccfi.jpg

Lmao
NoVaSpartan, EsoYeezus69, Rangsey and 1 other person liked this.
Jan. 14, 2022 at 11:29 p.m.
Speak of the Devil

He's down tremendously

All he cares about is winning, which isn't a bad thing, but not caring about the type of person your teammates is a bad look when you're supposed to be the face of the league
capsfan2121, zk97 and Saskleaf liked this.
Jan. 14, 2022 at 11:52 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Coyotes were a goal away from pulling another upset

Man did Prosteov play well against Colorado

So I guess Vajmelka can be moved along with Wedgewood lul. As a 0.936 against Colorado aint bad

This team sometimes surprises us as they sometimes either steal a win or come very close to
capsfan2121 and zk97 liked this.
Jan. 14, 2022 at 11:54 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
Quoting: aadoyle
Coyotes were a goal away from pulling another upset

Man did Prosteov play well against Colorado

So I guess Vajmelka can be moved along with Wedgewood lul. As a 0.936 against Colorado aint bad

This team sometimes surprises us as they sometimes either steal a win or come very close to

Where are the Coyotes getting these insane goalies from?😂
capsfan2121, A_Habs_fan and zk97 liked this.
Jan. 15, 2022 at 12:09 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Devil1122
Where are the Coyotes getting these insane goalies from?😂

I think Prosteov was drafted

Vajmelka was a former Preds pick from the Czech League.
capsfan2121 and zk97 liked this.
Jan. 15, 2022 at 2:08 a.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
McDavid's reaction to Kane was surprising to say the least. Especially if the border-crossing during the quarantine stuff is real as there is also Stalock attempting a comeback after developing a heart condition due to covid in the same locker room. The least he could do is add some "no bullsh*t allowed" comments though.

But I understand there's some kind of frustration too. The guy is already one of the best of all-time, signs a more than fair contract in order to have a competitive team around him just to be wasted by poor management decisions for 7 straight years. He's a winner and he wants to win, gotta understand his point of view.
justaBoss, A_Habs_fan, capsfan2121 and 4 others liked this.
Jan. 15, 2022 at 2:09 a.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
Quoting: mondo
I know it's a fan survey, and I know Jfresh didn't personally make the rankings. But they were voted on by people who follow him and it's not a farfetched assumption that his analytical ratings of players have some impact on how these people voted.

It's nonsense because the terms "overrated" and "underrated" need context. Do these people think Marner, Kane and Draisaitl are valued too highly for their ability? Are they paid too much for what they provide? Does hockey media talk about them too much?

People use the word overrated for "most hated" it seems.
capsfan2121 and Saskleaf liked this.
Jan. 15, 2022 at 2:53 a.m.
Edited Jan. 15, 2022 at 11:31 a.m.
He's down tremendously

All he cares about is winning, which isn't a bad thing, but not caring about the type of person your teammates is a bad look when you're supposed to be the face of the league

This is probably gonna rub folks the wrong way but

What would you have him say?

Bad mouth Kane? Then he's gotta play with him.
Give a non answer about how it's all a team effort? We've seen Edmonton play, any "team" talk coming out of Edmonton is absolute bs. They don't have a team.
Say we don't tolerate bs here? But they do, they have a roster full of passengers.
He was screwed to begin with.

McDavid is a fantastic hockey player, but he's not a media darling, he's not a super charasmaric leader, he probably should never have been given the captaincy. The issue isn't with Connors answer, the deeper issue is that he should never have been in the situation to be asked the question in the first place. He's been alone without meaningful support on any front since he entered the league.

1. He probably shouldnt be captain.
2. Edmonton should be in a position where they're not wasting a generational talent who is clearly so done with this he would take absolutely any help possible. You can tell he's done with this circus.
3. Ken Holland should be a decent enough human being that he doesnt go and try to sign Kane less they a week after his contract was terminated.

Yes, Connor should be better. But so should everyone else.
justaBoss, A_Habs_fan, capsfan2121 and 7 others liked this.
Jan. 15, 2022 at 8:07 a.m.
Quoting: EsoYeezus69
61ccfi.jpg

It wasn’t until I read this meme that I read your name right for the first time lmaoo

I thought it was Eyoyeezus lmao, and I’m like “he misspelled his own name”
A_Habs_fan, capsfan2121, EsoYeezus69 and 2 others liked this.
Jan. 15, 2022 at 8:11 a.m.

To be clear, I’m not defending mcdavid. Kane isn’t a nice person based on what we’ve seen, and the captain should be the guy to hold players accountable to be the best versions of themselves; on and off the ice.

Although, he is most definitely not a “politician”, he just wants to play hockey. And I’m sure he’s heard about this question multiple times and is just sick of politics. That said, he shouldn’t just be like “yeah we’ve got an **shole on our team but he’s good at hockey YOLO”. 97 needs to be a leader, and push guys to be the best they can; what guys do off ice translates to the locker room, which translates to the play on the ice.
A_Habs_fan, capsfan2121, Kotkaniemi15 and 1 other person liked this.
Jan. 15, 2022 at 8:17 a.m.
Quoting: Rangsey
This is probably gonna rub folks the wrong way but

What would you have him say?

Bad mouth Kane? Then he's gotta play with him.
Give a non answer about how it's all a team effort? We've seen Edmonton play, any "team" talk coming out of Edmonton is absolute bs. They don't have a team.
Say we don't tolerate bs here? But they do, they have a roster full of passengers.
He was screwed to begin with.

McDavid is a fantastic hockey player, but he's not a media darling, he's not a super charasmaric leader, he probably should never have been given the captaincy. The issue isn't with Connors answer, the deeper issue is that he should never have been in the situation to be asked the question in the first place. He's been alone without meaningful support on any front since he entered the league.

1. He probably shouldnt be captain.
2. Edmonton should be in a position where they're not wasting a generational talent who is clearly so done with this he would take absolutely any help possible. You can tell he's done with this circus.
3. Ken Holland should be a decent enough human being he does going and try to sign Kane less they a week after his contract was terminated.

Yes, Connor should be better. But so should everyone else.

Yep, I feel like this is the correct answer, McDavid's probably frustrated with Edmonton let's be real and if Kane can help them win he'll take it, plus, if Holland is actually signing Kane, McDavid won't exactly bad mouth Kane, that would just make it awkward when Kane signs
capsfan2121 and yikes liked this.
Jan. 15, 2022 at 11:01 a.m.
What in tarnation
So Makar is in 40+ goal pace.

Can't recall if any other D except Orr has scored 40 goals in a year.

If Makar reaches that, I think he deserves all of Hart, Norris and Ted Lindsay awards.
zk97, capsfan2121, EsoYeezus69 and 4 others liked this.
Jan. 15, 2022 at 11:30 a.m.
Quoting: justaBoss
So Makar is in 40+ goal pace.

Can't recall if any other D except Orr has scored 40 goals in a year.

If Makar reaches that, I think he deserves all of Hart, Norris and Ted Lindsay awards.

Ron hextalls decision to draft Patrick over Makar is looking worse by the minute lol
Devil, capsfan2121, EsoYeezus69 and 1 other person liked this.
Jan. 15, 2022 at 11:34 a.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: MitchMarner_16
Ron hextalls decision to draft Patrick over Makar is looking worse by the minute lol

I think all teams that drafted before COL in 2017 regret not taking Makar to some extent.
Jan. 15, 2022 at 12:13 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
I think all teams that drafted before COL in 2017 regret not taking Makar to some extent.

If the Devils didn't win the lottery that year, they would have gotten Makar most likely (or Pettersson)
capsfan2121 liked this.
Jan. 15, 2022 at 12:17 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
If the Devils didn't win the lottery that year, they would have gotten Makar most likely (or Pettersson)

Would you rather have maker or hischier
Jan. 15, 2022 at 12:17 p.m.
What in tarnation

In hindsight everyone should've taken Makar, no matter what draft position.

Glad that my Stars got the second best option with Heiskanen.
capsfan2121, EsoYeezus69, A_Habs_fan and 2 others liked this.
Jan. 15, 2022 at 12:24 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan

I know Pettersson is having a down year but Makar>Pettersson>Heiskanen
Jan. 15, 2022 at 12:26 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
Quoting: capsfan2121
Would you rather have maker or hischier

Makar but Im not upset about Hischier. Better than drafting Nolan Patrick

If Makar played in the WHL, I think he could have had a chance at going #1

Playing in the AJHL hurt his draft stock
capsfan2121, EsoYeezus69, justaBoss and 1 other person liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll