SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Can a goalie earn a shutout if his team gives up a goal?

Can a goalie earn a shutout if his team gives up a goal?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jan. 9, 2022 at 8:23 a.m.
Last night (January 8, 2022), Washington was leading Minnesota 2-1 late in the third period. Minnesota’s only goal came when Washington scored on their own net with their goalie (Zach Fucale) pulled on a delayed penalty. Minnesota came back and tied the game, but if they hadn’t, and the game ended 2-1, would Fucale have been given credit for a shutout? Perhaps the analysts discussed this during the game (though shutouts are a taboo subject in the third period), but I didn’t see it. When responding, please state whether you’re giving your opinion or you actually know the rule.

I don’t know the rule, which is why I’m asking, but I’m thinking that you probably need to be in the net for every shot against your team to earn the shutout, and the empty net goal counts as a shot, so Fucale unfortunately would not have earned the shutout.
capsfan2121 liked this.
Jan. 9, 2022 at 8:54 a.m.
Ban Price trades
The only instance I know of where a goalie can pitch a shutout while the score says otherwise is if a team loses 1-0 via a shootout. So long as a goal isn't allowed during regulation or OT, it counts as a shutout.

But, I'm willing to guess that had Minnesota not tied it - following the same logic as above - then Fucale would have been awarded a shutout as he was not scored on. His statline would have shown 22/22 saves and a save percentage of 100%. That be a shutout.
NoVaSpartan liked this.
Jan. 9, 2022 at 9:58 a.m.
Fucale would not have had a shutout

. Goal doesn't count against him but it's not a shutout due to his team having allowed a goal
capsfan2121 liked this.
Jan. 9, 2022 at 10:00 p.m.
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
I'm willing to guess that had Minnesota not tied it - following the same logic as above - then Fucale would have been awarded a shutout as he was not scored on. His statline would have shown 22/22 saves and a save percentage of 100%. That be a shutout.

You definitely need 100% save percentage to earn a shutout, but that’s not the only requirement. For example, a goalie who is a perfect 22/22 but plays only two periods doesn’t earn a shutout, though he could earn a shared shutout if the goalie who plays the rest of the game doesn’t give up a goal.

How does this apply to Fucale’s situation? I’m not sure, but it does show that what happens when a goalie is not on the ice could impact whether he earns a shutout.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit