SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Carolina Hurricanes

Which players should Carolina try to sign to a contract extension?

Who would be your top priority?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jan. 12, 2022 at 7:40 p.m.
(I tried to set up the poll so you could pick more than one, but I couldn't figure out how to do that, so you'll have to post something if you want to give us your full list.)

The Hurricanes have the best record in the league so far, so they are obviously doing a lot of things right, but they don’t have a good track record lately when it comes to re-signing their own free agents, even the restricted free agents who are still under team control other than the threat of arbitration and offer sheets. I’m sure some of this is intentional, and they’ve been able to find some good low-cost replacements, but in general it should better to retain the good talent you already have if you can afford to than to bring in new guys.

There are 10 players on the current NHL roster whose contracts run out at the end of this season. They’re about $2M under the cap now assuming Gardiner stays on LTIR, so they can't afford to give out too many big raises without freeing up the money somewhere else. Who would you try to sign to an extension, and what do you think it would take to sign them? The complete list is above. All of the restricted free agents are arbitration eligible except Necas.
Jan. 26, 2022 at 8:25 p.m.
v5 Minnesota GM
KK! ( please don't sign him we want him in free agency)
Apr. 5, 2022 at 11:06 p.m.
Banned
I think both Trocheck and Niederreiter leave in free agency, Ian Cole probably does as well. All three of them can likely get more on the open market than what the Canes will offer them

I wouldn't mind them re-signing Stepan though, he's been a nice bottom six fixture and shouldn't be outrageously expensive. Brendan Smith probably gets let go if I had to guess

I'd be surprised if DeAngelo, Lorentz, and Bear aren't wearing a Canes uniform next season. I can see their being a low percentage that Necas gets moved for some other roster player

Obviously KK has been re-signed to a deal I think has a little bit of risk but I think has a realistic chance of been good value, so yeah, those are my takes
Apr. 8, 2022 at 10:29 p.m.
Bedard23
Why did they sign KK to an 8 year contract?

He barely warrants a 3 year contract
Apr. 18, 2022 at 3:28 p.m.
cautious optimism
probably, uhhh...

(googles "canadiens rfas this year")

Alex Romanov.
May 5, 2022 at 9:03 p.m.
v5 CBJ GM
Quoting: Bobcat205
probably, uhhh...

(googles "canadiens rfas this year")

Alex Romanov.