Forums/Armchair-GM

Klingberger

Created by: NoDeke
Team: 2021-22 Dallas Stars
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 9, 2022
Published: Jan. 14, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Couch On Ice Podcast Epi - 65 (2nd half of the Epi)
Selling teams this episode and looking at 3 Canadian teams taking on Chychrun.
Dallas is an interesting one as they can take a selling position and not hurt the roster too much.... Possibly. Honestly the Klingberg trade is really sticking your head out for the Av's. Too much, yes! I'm thinking that condition has to be going to Colorado if they don't win the cup. Avs get a 2nd or 3rd if they don't win the cup.
The wings trade is a bit wild. Idea is that the Wings give the Stars the ability to trade Leddy if they want to, just so the wings can get Wyatt Johnson who was the pick the Wings gave up to move up for Cossa.
UFA POSSIBILITIES
Risto $4-5M / Braun $1-2M/ Stecher $2-3M
Trades
NYR
  1. Eriksson, Albin [Reserve List]
  2. Radulov, Alexander ($3,125,000 retained)
DAL
  1. Barron, Justin
  2. Johnson, Erik
  3. 2023 3rd round pick (COL)
COL
  1. Klingberg, John
Additional Details:
3rd pick transferred if COL advances to the Cup Final
DAL
  1. Leddy, Nick ($2,750,000 retained)
  2. Namestnikov, Vladislav
  3. 2022 2nd round pick (WSH)
Additional Details:
Assuming Griess is traded and retained
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the DAL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$76,389,573$927,073$1,552,500$5,110,427
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$795,000$795,000 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
LW, RW
RFA - 1
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$3,150,000$3,150,000
C
UFA - 2
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$7,000,000$7,000,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$9,500,000$9,500,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$9,850,000$9,850,000
C, RW
NMC
UFA - 6
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$2,550,000$2,550,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$3,250,000$3,250,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 1
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$1,050,000$1,050,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 2
Logo of the New York Rangers
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, RW
RFA - 1
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$842,500$842,500 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
LW, C
RFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$3,650,000$3,650,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$8,450,000$8,450,000
LD/RD
UFA - 8
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$537,500$538K)
G
RFA - 1
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$5,800,000$5,800,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA - 1
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$0$0
LD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RD
UFA - 3
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$750,000$750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$750,000$750,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$4,916,667$4,916,667
G
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
Taxi Squad
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$925,000$925,000 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
G
UFA - 2
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$803,333$803,333 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
C
RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 14, 2022 at 12:49 p.m.
PlusMinus is stupid
Insanely hard pass from Detroit. The cost of retaining on Leddy alone is a high asset, let alone taking your cap dumps AND giving you Namestikov AND a 2nd.
mokumboi and aedoran liked this.
Jan. 14, 2022 at 12:51 p.m.
Jinx god
Easy decline to the Wings trade. Not trading one of our best prospects for two rentals who most likely won't be any use to use since we won't compete for the cup soon, plus they could both leave via FA next year.
mokumboi and Goofie liked this.
Jan. 14, 2022 at 12:52 p.m.
WingusAmingus
Quoting: DeadWingsv2
Hard pass from Detroit. The cost of retaining on Leddy alone is a high asset, let alone taking your cap dumps AND giving you Namestikov AND a 2nd.

Its alot lol, I really want Wyatt Johnson if you cant tell, Im so sad we dont have him. Right handed Centerman, worth all the gold. And a couple guys that are ufas aint that big of deal. Would like Namestikov to sign back with the Wings.
BStinson liked this.
Jan. 14, 2022 at 12:52 p.m.
WingusAmingus
Quoting: EsoYeezus69
Easy decline to the Wings trade. Not trading one of our best prospects for two rentals who most likely won't be any use to use since we won't compete for the cup soon, plus they could both leave via FA next year.

Might be able to trade leddy for a 1st this yaer if you want. If thats makes you feel better?
Jan. 14, 2022 at 12:53 p.m.
Easily decline by the avs, they don’t need to sacrifice Barron and a pick to change ej to klingberg who might not even play In the avs top 4 when healthy

Add in the fact he’s a pending ufa who wants 8m aav, not loving Barron for a rental
mokumboi, TJTwolf and NoDeke liked this.
Jan. 14, 2022 at 12:58 p.m.
Jinx god
Quoting: NoDeke
Might be able to trade leddy for a 1st this yaer if you want. If thats makes you feel better?

No, the concept that a team who won't compete for the next few years and will probably miss the playoffs this year will give up high end assets for players who will bring in 0 value to change that doesn't make sense.

We will not give up pieces that will help with our re-tool for things that won't.
Jan. 14, 2022 at 12:58 p.m.
HabsFan
MTL: would you consider Garianov (or Fask) & Lindell (rental until we sign him)
for Petry, Hoffman (could be Armia or Lehkonen), 2nd?

It will secure a top RD in Petry sign for another 4 years at a decent cost
Jan. 14, 2022 at 1:11 p.m.
WingusAmingus
Quoting: DomCholette
MTL: would you consider Garianov (or Fask) & Lindell (rental until we sign him)
for Petry, Hoffman (could be Armia or Lehkonen), 2nd?

It will secure a top RD in Petry sign for another 4 years at a decent cost

Petry for Klingberg is a very interesting conversation. Lindell will play 20 seasons as a Dallas Star..... maybe lol

Dallas could use some forward depth help. With having those Fin's theres a good chance the Habs and Stars make a deal. Gotta get them Fin's together.
TheDuminator liked this.
Jan. 14, 2022 at 1:16 p.m.
WingusAmingus
Quoting: EsoYeezus69
No, the concept that a team who won't compete for the next few years and will probably miss the playoffs this year will give up high end assets for players who will bring in 0 value to change that doesn't make sense.

We will not give up pieces that will help with our re-tool for things that won't.

Justin Barron and Kravstov are a step away from the NHL. Johnson can help replace Klingberg for the time being. If i can't get leddy to stay then I trade him and get a first round pick this year whatever it takes. I dont think this hurts the team too much and I really like how the stars are playing, very inconsistent and one line right now. But i think they have more to show us. I will not count out the Stars, Jets, Oilers, and Nucks for the playoffs, not today. Weird schedule and this are abnormal right now. See how the next 10 games go and when these teams start catching up in games played.
Jan. 14, 2022 at 1:16 p.m.
Klingberg a pending UFA that wants to get paid, who wouldn’t be on the PP in COL, doesn’t get you Barron in any situation. Seriously why would COL even be interested in him, I mean if he is free sure but adding a top 4 dman even with Byram’s issue is about the last thing to improve on their roster. Also are all other teams ACGM’s just looking to add Barron?
TJTwolf liked this.
Jan. 14, 2022 at 1:25 p.m.
WingusAmingus
Quoting: Xqb15a
Klingberg a pending UFA that wants to get paid, who wouldn’t be on the PP in COL, doesn’t get you Barron in any situation. Seriously why would COL even be interested in him, I mean if he is free sure but adding a top 4 dman even with Byram’s issue is about the last thing to improve on their roster. Also are all other teams ACGM’s just looking to add Barron?

Ya the boys on the pod said the same thing. More or less they do this move to save the $6M of Johnsons contract next year. I understand that its not worth it but Ive seen GM's every year give up way to much to get the big deadline fish. Barron would be lovely for teh stars as they are limted to 0 RHD prospects that are playable in the next few years. This money off will help keep Kadri. Though I love how Johnson is playing and right now to me seems unlikely for him to move.
Jan. 14, 2022 at 1:27 p.m.
WingusAmingus

Like i said in the description, the condition has to be for the other side. Av's getting picks if they dont win the cup. Barron is a pretty valuable guy so i can understand why hes in trades, lol, being RH and all. If hes not involved im sure there something to be worked out in a klingberg Johnson deal.
Jan. 14, 2022 at 1:44 p.m.
Ya the boys on the pod said the same thing. More or less they do this move to save the $6M of Johnsons contract next year. I understand that its not worth it but Ive seen GM's every year give up way to much to get the big deadline fish. Barron would be lovely for teh stars as they are limted to 0 RHD prospects that are playable in the next few years. This money off will help keep Kadri. Though I love how Johnson is playing and right now to me seems unlikely for him to move.

that makes no sense, avs dont save 6m if they do this trade. They would have to replace EJ and Barron who would make up their D core next season. So you have to go out and spending on 2 UFAs...they dont save any money this way, all they do is trade away Barron then have to sign guys to more term to fill those rolls

People who dont know the avs assume EJs cap hit is an anchor, its not,

If the avs were really that hard up, they could buyout EJ who would have a 2m cap hit. People really over thing things
Xqb15a and TJTwolf liked this.
Jan. 14, 2022 at 2:14 p.m.
Stars aren’t giving up Wyatt for rentals just like Rado shouldn’t give up Barron for a rental
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Jan. 14, 2022 at 2:17 p.m.
Like i said in the description, the condition has to be for the other side. Av's getting picks if they dont win the cup. Barron is a pretty valuable guy so i can understand why hes in trades, lol, being RH and all. If hes not involved im sure there something to be worked out in a klingberg Johnson deal.

COL has zero need for Klingberg. If the Avs are healthy 100% he’s a third pairing pending UFA that wants to get paid. The Avs wouldn’t do Barron for Klingberg straight up, I mean come on you think COL trades their top prospect who projects as a top 4 RHD for rental when they have Makar, Toews, Girard and Byram? COL won’t spend a single asset looking to get a top 4 dman. In order of importance of what the Avs would be looking for: goalie(yes the Avs are trending to an area where maybe they consider making a move, they need a 3rd regardless, and no Kudobin isn’t of interest), depth dman (preferably a pk 6-7 guy), depth forward (ideally a pk machine that is great on face offs), a top 6 winger which then by default pushes Nichushkin down to the 3rd, a top 4 dman (as in incredibly unlikely unless they did something odd like Girard for Chychrun), top 6 center, MacKinnon AND Kadri are in the top 5 in ppg.
coga16 and TJTwolf liked this.
Jan. 14, 2022 at 2:48 p.m.
Banned
Detroit declines.
DeadWingsv2 and aedoran liked this.
Jan. 14, 2022 at 2:52 p.m.
COL has zero need for Klingberg. If the Avs are healthy 100% he’s a third pairing pending UFA that wants to get paid. The Avs wouldn’t do Barron for Klingberg straight up, I mean come on you think COL trades their top prospect who projects as a top 4 RHD for rental when they have Makar, Toews, Girard and Byram? COL won’t spend a single asset looking to get a top 4 dman. In order of importance of what the Avs would be looking for: goalie(yes the Avs are trending to an area where maybe they consider making a move, they need a 3rd regardless, and no Kudobin isn’t of interest), depth dman (preferably a pk 6-7 guy), depth forward (ideally a pk machine that is great on face offs), a top 6 winger which then by default pushes Nichushkin down to the 3rd, a top 4 dman (as in incredibly unlikely unless they did something odd like Girard for Chychrun), top 6 center, MacKinnon AND Kadri are in the top 5 in ppg.

the main thing avs would look at for a Dman at this years deadline would be one that is a big time PKer....Klingberg does not do that. So avs make their PK even worth by moving EJ who is top PK dman for a guy who cant replace those minutes. You are going to make Makar take on more minutes by PKing? Thats not a very smart idea...you cant make Klingberg PK bc that will be a distaster for an already weak PK

Again sometimes guys really do not think through the simple things when it comes to working shopping trades, its not always about Cap space
Xqb15a and TJTwolf liked this.
Jan. 14, 2022 at 3:29 p.m.
Big no thanks from Drury
Jan. 14, 2022 at 3:36 p.m.
Quoting: coga16
the main thing avs would look at for a Dman at this years deadline would be one that is a big time PKer....Klingberg does not do that. So avs make their PK even worth by moving EJ who is top PK dman for a guy who cant replace those minutes. You are going to make Makar take on more minutes by PKing? Thats not a very smart idea...you cant make Klingberg PK bc that will be a distaster for an already weak PK

Again sometimes guys really do not think through the simple things when it comes to working shopping trades, its not always about Cap space

I’ll play a bit of devils advocate here. I think, depending on Byram’s status for the rest of the season (obviously lots of questions there), Colorado might look to add another puck-moving defenseman. The defense’s ability to drive play is a major part of their identity, and I think they like the option of a good puck-carrier on the 2nd and 3rd pair with Toews-Makar on the top pair. That said, I agree that Klingberg’s on-ice value to Colorado as a rental won’t be worth what it costs to get him. Similar to the Chyrchrun discussions, he wouldn’t have a big enough role on their current defense to justify the high price. They were rumored to be involved in Seth Jones talks last deadline but strictly as a rental, so you never know.
NoDeke and TJTwolf liked this.
Jan. 14, 2022 at 3:48 p.m.
Quoting: Letter_Kenny
Detroit declines.

Honestly neither team accepts the Detroit trade. It's a hot mess.
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Jan. 14, 2022 at 4:31 p.m.
WingusAmingus
that makes no sense, avs dont save 6m if they do this trade. They would have to replace EJ and Barron who would make up their D core next season. So you have to go out and spending on 2 UFAs...they dont save any money this way, all they do is trade away Barron then have to sign guys to more term to fill those rolls

People who dont know the avs assume EJs cap hit is an anchor, its not,

If the avs were really that hard up, they could buyout EJ who would have a 2m cap hit. People really over thing things

COL saves money, go get someone to block shots for 1-2 mill not 6. Your right, more of a cap move for next year. Lets not pretend their defensemen actually play hockey!, not just sit back, and klingberg can play with the best of them. I can understand Barron being off the table, but adding klingberg and having the space to add another d and maybe even a forward. Also not have Johnson at $6M next year when you have Kadri to sign. Fututre wise i think this makes sense as GM's do give up for a playoff run. It happens every year. That trade helps them go for it and helps them cap wise next year. There is no losing to me, prospects and picks aside, Johnson for klingberg should work for both sides.
Jan. 14, 2022 at 4:38 p.m.
WingusAmingus
Quoting: aedoran
Honestly neither team accepts the Detroit trade. It's a hot mess.

tears of joy It's a little out in left field, no, foul territory. Was more of a fun one, way out of this world.

The question i have is, would it work to give someone else your trade chip so you can nab a guy they drafted? as lets say the other team wants a 1st in this years draft as they have higher hopes for a 20th pick this year than last year. Like i doubt itll ever happen as that would be too abnormal for the NHL.
aedoran liked this.
Jan. 14, 2022 at 4:40 p.m.
COL saves money, go get someone to block shots for 1-2 mill not 6. Your right, more of a cap move for next year. Lets not pretend their defensemen actually play hockey!, not just sit back, and klingberg can play with the best of them. I can understand Barron being off the table, but adding klingberg and having the space to add another d and maybe even a forward. Also not have Johnson at $6M next year when you have Kadri to sign. Fututre wise i think this makes sense as GM's do give up for a playoff run. It happens every year. That trade helps them go for it and helps them cap wise next year. There is no losing to me, prospects and picks aside, Johnson for klingberg should work for both sides.

you have had multiple avs fans say no it doesnt work. EJ fills a roll, he is over paid by todays standards but he fills a roll. What he does is a 4m Dman on the open market. We just say that with Suter. So no its not sign a 1-2m guy to block shots. That is not what EJ is as a Dman.

Avs D core doesnt get deeper int his trade, it gets weaker and less rounded.
SankFeravalli and TJTwolf liked this.
Jan. 14, 2022 at 4:57 p.m.
you have had multiple avs fans say no it doesnt work. EJ fills a roll, he is over paid by todays standards but he fills a roll. What he does is a 4m Dman on the open market. We just say that with Suter. So no its not sign a 1-2m guy to block shots. That is not what EJ is as a Dman.

Avs D core doesnt get deeper int his trade, it gets weaker and less rounded.

EJ’s money is also more-or-less earmarked for MacKinnon in 2 years, as their deals expire at the same time. MacKinnon’s $6.3M + Johnson’s $6M = $12.3M starting point for a MacKinnon extension. They may have more flexibility in the short term, but they can’t go on a spending spree just because Johnson’s $6M is off the books.
NoDeke and TJTwolf liked this.
Jan. 14, 2022 at 5:02 p.m.
WingusAmingus

COL has ZERO.... NEED for Byram, yet when he's healthy you play him! I love EJ the way hes playing and is playing a perfect role for them, and yes its unnecessary for them to go big game hunting for a top 4 d especially when it doesnt clearly make them much better, gives them cap for one or two guys this cup run.

Barron is heavy man for sure. him being off the table makes the deal alot more difficult cuz DAL has lots of LHD prospects and need a RHD badly if theres no Klingberg. DAL would pay up for Barron if the Av's would even consider letting him go. Klingberg is in the shadows with Makar there but i dont think thats a bad thing especially with whats going on with Byram.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll