Miller and Namestnikov

Created by: Richard88
Team: 2021-22 Colorado Avalanche
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 18, 2022
Published: Jan. 19, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Trades
COL
  1. Namestnikov, Vladislav ($1,000,000 retained)
DET
    3rd or B prospect
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the COL
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    22$81,500,000$81,268,963$1,741,463$3,350,000$231,037
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
    $7,000,000$7,000,000
    LW, C
    NMC
    UFA - 8
    $6,300,000$6,300,000
    C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $9,250,000$9,250,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 4
    Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
    $5,250,000$5,250,000
    C, LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $4,900,000$4,900,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $908,333$908,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    C, LW
    RFA - 2
    Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
    $0$0
    LW, RW, C
    UFA - 1
    $1,075,000$1,075,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $725,000$725,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    C
    UFA - 2
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $4,100,000$4,100,000
    LD
    UFA - 3
    $9,000,000$9,000,000
    RD
    UFA - 6
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 6
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
    LD/RD
    RFA - 2
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    RD
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 2
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $750,000$750,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    C, LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $750,000$750,000
    LW
    UFA - 1
    $875,000$875,000
    LD/RD, LW
    UFA - 1
    $725,000$725,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    Taxi Squad
    $809,167$809,167 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
    C, LW
    RFA - 1
    $725,000$725,000 ($0$0$0$0)
    G
    UFA - 1
    $750,000$750,000 ($0$0$0$0)
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jan. 19, 2022 at 9:46 a.m.
    John 3 16
    Quoting: Xqb15a
    Easy no. What’s the point of trading 4 pieces for Miller? They don’t need to score more. They don’t need help in the top 6. They don’t need help on the PP. They don’t need a 2C. Where as Barron is in the line up next year, Compher has rebounded and is the Swiss Army knife guy every good team needs, a 1st rd pick is still a 1st rd pick.

It's not about scoring more. It's about adding players suites to playoff hockey who can provide contingency plans incase of injuries or another suspension for Kadri. Having another experienced C would allow us to match up against the best teams in the east, most of whom have great C depth. I'd rather not have to suffer another series with Jost in over his head.

Miller is also signed another year which means you have a 2C for next year to buy some more time for Newhook to develop as a future 2C.

Also, the top 6 doesn't need help, but the bottom 6 does. Adding Miller pushes Nichuskin down to the 3rd line, thereby making the bottom 6 a lot tougher to match up against.

As for Compher, hes a Swiss army knife, but not a very good one. For starters he sucks at PKing (as analytics show), doesn't being physicality much anymore, and doesn't win draws, which are just three key components of a useful bottom 6 forward in the playoffs. His capspace can be used much more effectively.
    Jan. 19, 2022 at 9:49 a.m.
    John 3 16
    Edited Jan. 19, 2022 at 10:34 a.m.
    Quoting: Lancebmx
    They have two more retention slots they can use this year still. Each team is allowed 3 at any one time. So theoretically they could retain on Namestnikov but the price would have to be a second I would think.

Why would it be a 2nd? The market will be flooded with rental forwards which will push the price down. Rakell, kessel, giroux, Forsberg, Hertl, Pavelski, Donskoi, Jarnkrok, Lehkonen, Crouse, Namestnikov, etc etc. It's shaping up to be a buyer's market.
    Jan. 19, 2022 at 9:51 a.m.
    John 3 16
    Quoting: DirtyDangle
    probably a bit too high on both trades.

Quoting: TJTwolf
    Easy no for the Avs on Miller. Namestnikov for a 4th.

What do you think is a fair price to get Miller? A 1st + good prospect seems reasonably close, with Compher going the other way for salary purposes; Bowers won't be waiver exempt next season so is basically a throw in at this stage.
    Jan. 19, 2022 at 10:12 a.m.
    retired
    Quoting: Richard88
    What do you think is a fair price to get Miller? A 1st + good prospect seems reasonably close, with Compher going the other way for salary purposes; Bowers won't be waiver exempt next season so is basically a throw in at this stage.

1st, barron, bowers should be enough valuewise.
    Richard88 liked this.
    Jan. 19, 2022 at 10:24 a.m.
    Representing the 505
    The advantage in getting someone like Miller is that he can play in the top 6 which means you can move Nuke down, thereby helping the bottom 6 get better. Also, if he can PK, that's a plus. To me, if that makes the bottom 6 and PK better, it's a good deal. Not as sold on Nemestnikov but if he can be had for cheap and you have JTC heading out the door, you probably need him.
    Richard88 liked this.
    Jan. 19, 2022 at 10:24 a.m.
    John 3 16
    Quoting: DirtyDangle
    1st, barron, bowers should be enough valuewise.

Cool, maybe just include some more retention or a 3rd rounder then if Compher is included. Either way the cap savings would be welcome and/or necessary.
    Jan. 19, 2022 at 10:27 a.m.
    John 3 16
    Quoting: NMAvsFan
    The advantage in getting someone like Miller is that he can play in the top 6 which means you can move Nuke down, thereby helping the bottom 6 get better. Also, if he can PK, that's a plus. To me, if that makes the bottom 6 and PK better, it's a good deal. Not as sold on Nemestnikov but if he can be had for cheap and you have JTC heading out the door, you probably need him.

Exactly. Miller creates depth by pushing Nichuskin down.

Regarding Namestnikov, there are several forwards like him who would be fine additions on the cheap as well, like Donskoi or Jarnkrok just off the top of my head. A solid but unspectacular 3rd liner should be easy and reasonably cheap to acquire at the deadline given how many teams are already looking like sellers.
    Jan. 19, 2022 at 10:30 a.m.
    Representing the 505
    Exactly. Miller creates depth by pushing Nichuskin down.

Regarding Namestnikov, there are several forwards like him who would be fine additions on the cheap as well, like Donskoi or Jarnkrok just off the top of my head. A solid but unspectacular 3rd liner should be easy and reasonably cheap to acquire at the deadline given how many teams are already looking like sellers.

The other plus is that Miller wouldn't just be a rental.

I'd rather have Jarnkrok because he doesn't have term left. He seems like an ideal target.
    Richard88 liked this.
    Jan. 19, 2022 at 10:31 a.m.
    It's not about scoring more. It's about adding players suites to playoff hockey who can provide contingency plans incase of injuries or another suspension for Kadri. Having another experienced C would allow us to match up against the best teams in the east, most of whom have great C depth. I'd rather not have to suffer another series with Jost in over his head.

Miller is also signed another year which means you have a 2C for next year to buy some more time for Newhook to develop as a future 2C.

Also, the top 6 doesn't need help, but the bottom 6 does. Adding Miller pushes Nichuskin down to the 3rd line, thereby making the bottom 6 a lot tougher to match up against.

As for Compher, hes a Swiss army knife, but not a very good one. For starters he sucks at PKing (as analytics show), doesn't being physicality much anymore, and doesn't win draws, which are just three key components of a useful bottom 6 forward in the playoffs. His capspace can be used much more effectively.

Bro everybody’s pk analytics suck with the dumb ass system they insist on running. The bottom 6 has been fine in many games very good. Newhook, LOC, and Compher in particular especially considering how much the latter 2 have played up into the top 6 frequently. Compher has been very good this year, because he has played all over the line up. No he isn’t a center but can play it in a pinch, and you aren’t being honest if you think Compher who is pacing for 40pts isn’t playing well. Jost is what Jost is a solid bottom 6 guy especially if you get past his draft status. Helm hasn’t been good. NAK has actually been really good.
    Jan. 19, 2022 at 10:46 a.m.
    John 3 16
    Bro everybody’s pk analytics suck with the dumb ass system they insist on running. The bottom 6 has been fine in many games very good. Newhook, LOC, and Compher in particular especially considering how much the latter 2 have played up into the top 6 frequently. Compher has been very good this year, because he has played all over the line up. No he isn’t a center but can play it in a pinch, and you aren’t being honest if you think Compher who is pacing for 40pts isn’t playing well. Jost is what Jost is a solid bottom 6 guy especially if you get past his draft status. Helm hasn’t been good. NAK has actually been really good.

Compher's xGA/60 on the PK has been significantly worse than all other forwards on the team for several years now. His defensive awareness isn't very good.

His production of 12 points in 24 games is solid, but most of that came in an unsustainable spurt at the start of the year. His scoring has dropped a lot in the last 10-15 games after a hot start. I'm not desperate to move him, but if salary needs to be opened up then he's the obvious candidate.

Jost is fine as long as he isn't played above his head, but ideally we'd have a 4C who can bring some physicality and key FO wins on the PK.

A bottom 6 like below should be the target:

Nichuskin - Newhook - Jarnkrok/Namestnikov/etc
    NAK/Maltsev - 4C good at PK and FO's - O'Connor

The FO issue at 4C is less pronounced with an addition like Miller given that he can PK and win draws. Maybe Maltsev can even be that guy.

Basically replace Compher and Jost with guys who can PK and bring a physical game in the playoffs.
    NMAvsFan liked this.
    Jan. 19, 2022 at 10:59 a.m.
    Representing the 505
    Compher's xGA/60 on the PK has been significantly worse than all other forwards on the team for several years now. His defensive awareness isn't very good.

His production of 12 points in 24 games is solid, but most of that came in an unsustainable spurt at the start of the year. His scoring has dropped a lot in the last 10-15 games after a hot start. I'm not desperate to move him, but if salary needs to be opened up then he's the obvious candidate.

Jost is fine as long as he isn't played above his head, but ideally we'd have a 4C who can bring some physicality and key FO wins on the PK.

The FO issue at 4C is less pronounced with an addition like Miller given that he can PK and win draws. Maybe Maltsev can even be that guy.

Basically replace Compher and Jost with guys who can PK and bring a physical game in the playoffs.

I'd like to see them give Bowers a shot but he hasn't been impressive in Loveland
    Jan. 19, 2022 at 11:15 a.m.
    John 3 16
    Quoting: NMAvsFan
    I'd like to see them give Bowers a shot but he hasn't been impressive in Loveland

Bowers has very little trade value at this point. Coming up on 5 years since he was drafted, and has yet to make his NHL debut. Next season he'll be waiver fodder, so realistically he's nothing more than a throw-in at the deadline, or as part of a change of scenery type of deal like the Bigras/Graves deal.
    NMAvsFan liked this.
    Jan. 19, 2022 at 11:17 a.m.
    Representing the 505
    Bowers has very little trade value at this point. Coming up on 5 years since he was drafted, and has yet to make his NHL debut. Next season he'll be waiver fodder, so realistically he's nothing more than a throw-in at the deadline, or as part of a change of scenery type of deal like the Bigras/Graves deal.

Yep - Avs trade one reclamation project for another
    Richard88 liked this.
    Jan. 19, 2022 at 12:52 p.m.
    Quoting: Lancebmx
    I feel like with the way compher has been playing I would almost think they would want to send Jost? I'm not an avs fan so I don't know. Probably need full retention though.

I'd rather keep Namestnikov over Compher.
    Jan. 19, 2022 at 1:52 p.m.

I had a long ass reply then I had to work. 🤦🏻‍♂️. Millet isn’t worth that, ultimately. You can hate on Compher all you want and if stats were the end all of player analysis that’s all you’d go by, and yes I say that having a degree in engineering, but Compher is tracking for 40pts playing up and down the line up in multiple positions. As for the bottom 6 if you’re paying assets to fill out multiple positions then you suck at drafting. I don’t know what the deal if with Kaut and Bowers but at least in the case of Bowers give the kid a chance. Regardless, giving up all of that for Miller is just poor asset management, you could better convince me to move Girard in the off season than all of that for Miller.
    Jan. 19, 2022 at 2:35 p.m.

I just think it's an unnecessary trade for the Avs at present, the value probably isn't far off IF 50% retention was added. That's never really been my issue with the trades for Miller. Just that it isn't really a necessity.
    Jan. 19, 2022 at 3:55 p.m.
    Avs fans understandably don't want to give up Barron, but you need to give to get, and Colorado has a surplus of good young Dmen (Helleson, Behrens, Barron) so that's the obvious solution. That said Barron's skating ability makes him a perfect stylistic fit for Colorado, but Helleson's defensive game might be more of a need going forward, so it's a tough choice of which one to part with, if any.

Miller (2.625M retained) for Barron + Jost + 1st 2023

How do you feel about this counterproposal?
    Richard88 liked this.
    Jan. 19, 2022 at 4:13 p.m.
    If were giving up that much for Miller then VAN would have to retain 50% imo

I think they go for a D man instead of adding Miller at this point with Murray out and the uncertainty with Byram
    Jan. 20, 2022 at 7:43 a.m.
    John 3 16
    I had a long ass reply then I had to work. 🤦🏻‍♂️. Millet isn’t worth that, ultimately. You can hate on Compher all you want and if stats were the end all of player analysis that’s all you’d go by, and yes I say that having a degree in engineering, but Compher is tracking for 40pts playing up and down the line up in multiple positions. As for the bottom 6 if you’re paying assets to fill out multiple positions then you suck at drafting. I don’t know what the deal if with Kaut and Bowers but at least in the case of Bowers give the kid a chance. Regardless, giving up all of that for Miller is just poor asset management, you could better convince me to move Girard in the off season than all of that for Miller.

Compher might be pacing for 40 points, and that's great. However, the primary thing that should matter at this point is how effective he is in the playoffs, and I've seen enough against Dallas and Vegas the last two years to tell me that he's not the type of player who's going to be a difference maker. In fact he had a decidedly negative impact in both series, seeing his minutes drastically reduced (except when there were injuries). The Dallas series was particularly egregious as our "3rd" line got totally caved in which was a big reason for losing that series. There are far better ways for a contender to spend $3.5m of capspace than with Compher. And btw, I too have a master's degree in mechanical engineering grin
    Jan. 20, 2022 at 7:46 a.m.
    John 3 16
    Quoting: TJTwolf
    I just think it's an unnecessary trade for the Avs at present, the value probably isn't far off IF 50% retention was added. That's never really been my issue with the trades for Miller. Just that it isn't really a necessity.

It might not be a necessity in the regular season, but come playoffs having another top 6 C will be really desirable against the likes of Vegas and the top east teams.

Also keep in mind the extra year on Miller's deal. Adding him solves the 2C spot for next year as well, buying another season of insulation for Newhook. Miller's caphit is also low enough (especially with retention) to allow both Nichuskin and Burakovsky to be resigned and set the team up for another run next season.
    TJTwolf liked this.
    Jan. 20, 2022 at 7:51 a.m.
    John 3 16
    Quoting: Canucks33
    Miller (2.625M retained) for Barron + Jost + 1st 2023

How do you feel about this counterproposal?

Thanks for the counteroffer. Seems fine, though I'm not the biggest Jost fan so others may disagree. Maybe a mid round pick or Halak could be coming back to Colorado?

Note that Avs would need to acquire a 4C in a separate deal if Jost gets moved, unless Maltsev can earn that job before the deadline. I'd be happy with either outcome as I'd prefer a bigger 4C who can win some draws and PK well.
    Jan. 20, 2022 at 9:03 a.m.
    Compher might be pacing for 40 points, and that's great. However, the primary thing that should matter at this point is how effective he is in the playoffs, and I've seen enough against Dallas and Vegas the last two years to tell me that he's not the type of player who's going to be a difference maker. In fact he had a decidedly negative impact in both series, seeing his minutes drastically reduced (except when there were injuries). The Dallas series was particularly egregious as our "3rd" line got totally caved in which was a big reason for losing that series. There are far better ways for a contender to spend $3.5m of capspace than with Compher. And btw, I too have a master's degree in mechanical engineering grin

Nice, that’s what my degree is in too! He has been a difference maker in the playoffs particularly against SJS. Could you spend $3.5M better, maybe but you’re willing to bet that and team chemistry at the TDL to give up a fortune for a guy that 1 you don’t really need and 2 are paying such a huge amount for that you can’t let him walk in FA, even though in the same off season you have to sign MacKinnon, Newhook and Byram. Would I like Miller on this team? Who wouldn’t. Do I think it’s wise to part with your top d prospect, a 1st, a former 1st and a guy a middle 6 guy that works in your system for a season and a half of him. No. Not at all.
    TJTwolf liked this.
    Jan. 20, 2022 at 2:26 p.m.
    Thanks for the counteroffer. Seems fine, though I'm not the biggest Jost fan so others may disagree. Maybe a mid round pick or Halak could be coming back to Colorado?

Note that Avs would need to acquire a 4C in a separate deal if Jost gets moved, unless Maltsev can earn that job before the deadline. I'd be happy with either outcome as I'd prefer a bigger 4C who can win some draws and PK well.

We could include a swap of Halak and Francouz in there as well, shouldn't be a problem except for Halak's trade protection. If he will waive then sure.

Isn't it fair to say that Jost in a 4C role may be underusing him or at least him not playing up to his potential? He would probably come over and be our 3C.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll