Forums/Armchair-GM

The Dumba Conundrum

Created by: MNBassman
Team: 2022-23 Minnesota Wild
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 23, 2022
Published: Jan. 23, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I’m one of the few who believe the Wild should keep Dumba long-term, but I feel like the writing is on the wall and he will be the odd man out…
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
6$6,750,000
6$3,000,000
4$3,000,000
3$850,000
3$800,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,000,000
5$2,000,000
Trades
MIN
  1. Anderson, Josh
  2. 2023 2nd round pick (MTL)
MTL
  1. Dumba, Matt
  2. Greenway, Jordan
Additional Details:
I’m (probably) overpaying here because the Habs are taking on extra $$.
I also realize Anderson is probably not available, but he’s exactly the player the Wild need and I wanted to see this roster on paper…
MIN
  1. Kassian, Zack
  2. 2023 2nd round pick (EDM)
Additional Details:
The Wild HAVE to get tougher now that they have stars worth protecting and (someone like) Kassian plus Anderson and Foligno will definitely accomplish this.
EDM
  1. Zuccarello, Mats ($1,000,000 retained)
Additional Details:
Zucc is a weird player to trade! My fellow Wild fans will tell me how he can’t be moved because of his bromance and on-ice chemistry with Kaprizov and fans outside of Minnesota seem to have forgotten how good of a player he is…. Regardless, because if the cap situation, the Wild have to make done very tough, very difficult decisions! This is the one I would make, regardless of how unpopular it is…
I do, however, believe Zuccarello would be an amazing fit with McDavid and/or Draisaitl!
Fire away…
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$82,500,000$80,149,421$0$1,532,500$2,350,579
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$9,000,000$9,000,000
LW
UFA - 4
$1,700,000$1,700,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$880,833$880,833 (Performance Bonus$600,000$600K)
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$6,750,000$6,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 7
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C
RFA - 3
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$3,100,000$3,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C
UFA - 7
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C
UFA - 3
$850,000$850,000
LW, C
RFA - 2
$1,200,000$1,200,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,125,000$1,125,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$7,575,000$7,575,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
$3,666,667$3,666,667
G
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$795,000$795,000 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
RD
RFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
G
UFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 6
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LD
UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 23, 2022 at 1:59 p.m.
Pretty decent trade for Habs. I’d take out the second. Dumba is UFA after next year. It’s an overpay from Minnesota but I think Anderson is part of the solution here.

Suzuki and most likely one of Wright, Savoie, Cooley will be our top 2 centres going forward. Very young down the middle so would need some vets on the wing. Anderson has stated that he wants to stay here for the rebuild and he brings size and speed which Montreal also sorely lacks. Unless it’s a massive overpay I think Montreal hangs on to Anderson.
Campabee and MNBassman liked this.
Jan. 23, 2022 at 2:00 p.m.
Hockey247
everyone on the habs is available except suzuki caufield and romanov
MNBassman liked this.
Jan. 23, 2022 at 2:05 p.m.
Good hockey trade here
Only reason MTL take this is if Dumba sign an extension
Jan. 23, 2022 at 2:06 p.m.
don't mind the trades. My only thing is I watch a lot of Edmonton games since I'm from Calgary but a wild fan lol and kassian hasn't seemed to be the same player since his last injury. He's not noticeable or anything. His teammates are getting hit and pushed around. I'm not sure if it's the type of game he's always played has taken a toll on his body. I'd also like to get bigger on the back end we are a tiny team there. good ideas tho.
MNBassman liked this.
Jan. 23, 2022 at 2:07 p.m.
Banned
We have Marcus foligno and duhaime for a reason! I have no idea why you are trading Zuccarello for zack whose so bad, he doesn't fight and Edmonton fans want out. Not to mention wild coaches doesn't want players to fight

Why are you trading dumba and greenway for a Winger much less on that contract?. Minnesota shouldn't do either.
Jan. 23, 2022 at 2:08 p.m.
I think Dumba is the odd man out, but he walks as a UFA and isn't traded. That Spurgeon contract + the buyouts are killer.

Zucc isn't tradeable because his full NTC runs until July 1st. Teams just sign FA instead of make trades then. Next year's TDL is when the best chance to trade him will be.

I think signing Merrill means Goli isn't going to be back next year. Freddy G probably kills Sturm coming back next year too.

Talbot it the player I'd look to move 1st to open up some cap space. Sign Kahk to a lower deal than $3m/yr (thinking $1.5m x 2) first though.
MNBassman and GMs liked this.
Jan. 23, 2022 at 2:10 p.m.
Man I feel like the Habs should both take this and leave it at the same time lol. Dumba would be an amazing add but losing Anderson would be a huge loss as well.
ricochetii, MNBassman and GMs liked this.
Jan. 23, 2022 at 2:14 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: wabit
I think Dumba is the odd man out, but he walks as a UFA and isn't traded. That Spurgeon contract + the buyouts are killer.

Zucc isn't tradeable because his full NTC runs until July 1st. Teams just sign FA instead of make trades then. Next year's TDL is when the best chance to trade him will be.

I think signing Merrill means Goli isn't going to be back next year. Freddy G probably kills Sturm coming back next year too.

Talbot it the player I'd look to move 1st to open up some cap space. Sign Kahk to a lower deal than $3m/yr (thinking $1.5m x 2) first though.

Didn't Russo reported when he signed that alex agreed to a handshake deal of lesser money? Freddy g is like a million dollars or less?
Jan. 23, 2022 at 2:31 p.m.
Quoting: Wildnochance
Didn't Russo reported when he signed that alex agreed to a handshake deal of lesser money? Freddy g is like a million dollars or less?

It has been rumored, yes. But he or the team could always back out of that. The Merrill signing just seems really odd if Goli is going to be re-signed too.

If there was a deal in place then why isn't it signed yet? Goli is having a career year for points and so far he's worth his $5m contract. He might just price himself out of any handshake deal.
MNBassman liked this.
Jan. 23, 2022 at 2:43 p.m.
Banned
It has been rumored, yes. But he or the team could always back out of that. The Merrill signing just seems really odd if Goli is going to be re-signed too.

If there was a deal in place then why isn't it signed yet? Goli is having a career year for points and so far he's worth his $5m contract. He might just price himself out of any handshake deal.

I think there's and wild don't want NHL looking into it. I am just skeptical Russo would put out not only a tweet but in an article if it's not true
Jan. 23, 2022 at 2:47 p.m.
v5 Minnesota GM
Habs accept. Great trade. We need a RD and Greenway Is a mini anderson, therefore we accept, though we only do it if there is an extension in place, if not take out the 2nd and give a 3rd to the habs
MNBassman liked this.
Jan. 23, 2022 at 3:15 p.m.
I think there's and wild don't want NHL looking into it. I am just skeptical Russo would put out not only a tweet but in an article if it's not true

There is nothing for the NHL to look into. It's not cap circumvention, tampering, or anything else. The window is open to re-sign players (Merrill). Players take discounts to stay where they are.

Russo probably only got a snippet of what is going on and ran with it. IIRC it was in the dead zone for hockey news when the article came out. So it could have just been a filler article.
MNBassman liked this.
Jan. 23, 2022 at 3:26 p.m.
As for the MTL trade. Why?

Since the start of last season Greenway has 43p and is +20. Anderson has 38p and is -23. It's not like Anderson has been anything special in the Playoffs either (Staal had more points last year). He's older and makes a lot more money that Greenway's next contract should be. Dumba also has more points over the last 2 seasons than Anderson and is a d-man.

I understand MTL is a tire fire so that puts a damper on his stats somewhat, I don't see how this trade benefits MN at all.
ricochetii and Wildnochance liked this.
Jan. 23, 2022 at 3:39 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Quoting: Campabee
Man I feel like the Habs should both take this and leave it at the same time lol. Dumba would be an amazing add but losing Anderson would be a huge loss as well.

Since the start of last season Greenway has 43p and is +20. Anderson has 38p and is -23. It's not like Anderson has been anything special in the Playoffs either (Staal had more points last year). He's older and makes a lot more money that Greenway's next contract should be. Dumba also has more points over the last 2 seasons than Anderson and is a d-man.

I understand MTL is a tire fire so that puts a damper on his stats somewhat, I don't see how this trade benefits MN at all.

I don't want to trade Anderson, but I'm having a hard time turning this down simply because we need RD.
Greenway might lessen the loss a little, but if we're able to keep Anderson and pick up a RD elsewhere, I'd prefer that.

I'm not certain Minnesota should do this either, but they can afford to move them and can't really afford to keep them due to the buyouts. Dumba has seemingly been on the way out for years now, so keeping him probably isn't an option.
Jan. 23, 2022 at 3:43 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: ricochetii
I don't want to trade Anderson, but I'm having a hard time turning this down simply because we need RD.
Greenway might lessen the loss a little, but if we're able to keep Anderson and pick up a RD elsewhere, I'd prefer that.

I'm not certain Minnesota should do this either, but they can afford to move them and can't really afford to keep them due to the buyouts. Dumba has seemingly been on the way out for years now, so keeping him probably isn't an option.

Dumba is beloved by Guerin. Minnesota is stacked with Wingers and doesn't need anymore like josh! Also dumba has 1 more year left. He was named alternate captain for a reason. Dumba rumors were just that, nothing more.
ricochetii liked this.
Jan. 23, 2022 at 3:56 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Dumba is beloved by Guerin. Minnesota is stacked with Wingers and doesn't need anymore like josh! Also dumba has 1 more year left. He was named alternate captain for a reason. Dumba rumors were just that, nothing more.

Think they'll be able and willing to extend him?
Jan. 23, 2022 at 3:59 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: ricochetii
Think they'll be able and willing to extend him?

I won't be surprised if they are. He's become one of the face of wild since George floyd's death and everything he's done
ricochetii liked this.
Jan. 23, 2022 at 4:09 p.m.

The reason he was given an A: Lack of other options. It was either Dumba or Brodin to get the 3rd letter after the buyouts, Staal trade, and not re-signing Koivu. Nobody else left on the team had done much of anything for the Wild. Dumba wins the Clancy so he gets the letter.

Dumba is fine wearing a letter, but now others (JEE, Kaprizov, Zucc, Brodin) could just as easily wear it.
MNBassman liked this.
Jan. 23, 2022 at 4:09 p.m.

I know he’s the Captain and all, but Guerin should really explore trading Spurge to Edmonton. I think that would be the one place he’d waive for. Get a high pick and prospect. Take back Barrie and/or Kassian to help make the cap work.
Jan. 23, 2022 at 4:12 p.m.
Quoting: BoredWildFan
I know he’s the Captain and all, but Guerin should really explore trading Spurge to Edmonton. I think that would be the one place he’d waive for. Get a high pick and prospect. Take back Barrie and/or Kassian to help make the cap work.

I think Spurgeon is too smart to want to play for that train wreck of an organization and in that media market.
Jan. 23, 2022 at 4:49 p.m.
If wanting to keep Dumba is an unpopular opinion amongst our fan base then I'll join you with that take. He is not the same player after tearing his pec, but he's still a solid 2nd pairing player and he apparently is extremely well liked in the room. I'd try to keep him, let Gigoski walk (he's been good, just can't afford him if Dumba stays), and move Addison to play with Spurge.

I'd definitely still move Greenway this offseason. He's been decent I just think one of our younger guys can step up and provide similar production for cheap. If Habs (or another team) want him for a 2nd, I probably take that.

As for Zucc, I'd rather have him than what he returns here. He's a bit overpaid but still a decent player (I'd rather have him than Anderson, fwiw)
Wildnochance liked this.
Jan. 24, 2022 at 3:58 a.m.
MNBassman

I realize I’m overpaying here a bit, but I consider cap space and cost certainty as assets in the trades here. Regardless of points, Anderson is a much better player than Greenway and brings elements that Greenway never will: speed and toughness! As I stated above, the Wild finally have stars worth protecting and Greenway simply does not have it in him to be a policeman!
Jan. 24, 2022 at 6:08 a.m.
Quoting: MNBassman
I realize I’m overpaying here a bit, but I consider cap space and cost certainty as assets in the trades here. Regardless of points, Anderson is a much better player than Greenway and brings elements that Greenway never will: speed and toughness! As I stated above, the Wild finally have stars worth protecting and Greenway simply does not have it in him to be a policeman!

Greenway is plenty tough, he rag dolls people all the time. As an added plus Greenway knows where the d-zone is on the ice. Anderson isn't a Wilson by any stretch and he's injured a lot.

You're pay $500k less for Anderson than Zucc, and Zucc is by far the better player.

You're paying Kassian more than Greenway should get in his next deal. Greenway is younger, better, and not out injured all the time.

With the retention you've got the a slightly bigger cap hit and worse players in the Anderson+Kassian for Zucc+Greenway lineup swap. Dumba is traded for a pair of 2nds (probably accurate value for him).

Don't make the trades. Don't re-sign Goli and Sturm (Freddy G will play over him anyways) and you've almost accounted for all of Dumba's cap hit. Give Kahk a $1.5m bridge deal. Then give him Talbot's money if he earns it next year.

Anderson's contract gives the the Zucker buyers remorse vibes. He even has the Zucker all goal no assist vibe to him. More physical than Zucker by far, but that doesn't make him not even getting 50p once in his career.
Jan. 24, 2022 at 4:25 p.m.
Greenway is plenty tough, he rag dolls people all the time. As an added plus Greenway knows where the d-zone is on the ice. Anderson isn't a Wilson by any stretch and he's injured a lot.

You're pay $500k less for Anderson than Zucc, and Zucc is by far the better player.

You're paying Kassian more than Greenway should get in his next deal. Greenway is younger, better, and not out injured all the time.

With the retention you've got the a slightly bigger cap hit and worse players in the Anderson+Kassian for Zucc+Greenway lineup swap. Dumba is traded for a pair of 2nds (probably accurate value for him).

Don't make the trades. Don't re-sign Goli and Sturm (Freddy G will play over him anyways) and you've almost accounted for all of Dumba's cap hit. Give Kahk a $1.5m bridge deal. Then give him Talbot's money if he earns it next year.

Anderson's contract gives the the Zucker buyers remorse vibes. He even has the Zucker all goal no assist vibe to him. More physical than Zucker by far, but that doesn't make him not even getting 50p once in his career.

Anderson is miles better than Greenway
People really only look at stats
Look it in that way instead : Anderson 2nd best goal scorer last year with the Habs and 1st goal scorer this year despite missing games. MTL are bad but Suzuki and Anderson are MTL best forwards followed by Toffoli. Toffoli gets more points than Anderson but I take Anderson and is contract any day over Toffoli and is contract (which is good but Anderson is much better)
MNBassman liked this.
Jan. 24, 2022 at 5:09 p.m.
MNBassman

I am tougher than Greenway!

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll