SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

Ricky Williams Trade

Jan. 24, 2022 at 7:10 p.m.
For those of you who aren't football fans... The Ricky Williams trade was a trade between the New Orleans Saints and Washington Redskins of the National Football League (NFL), which occurred prior to the 1999 NFL Draft. Mike Ditka who at the time was the head coach of the Saints wanted to move up in the draft order from the 12th overall pick to ensure that he would be able to select Ricky Williams from the University of Texas at Austin. To do so, the Saint traded every pick they had in the draft, plus two of their first three picks in the 2000 NFL Draft, for the fifth overall pick, with which it selected Williams. The trade was as follow:

Traded to New Orleans

1999 first round pick (5th overall, Ricky Williams)

Traded to Washington
1999 first round pick (12th overall, later traded to Chicago, used to select Cade McNown)
1999 third round pick (71st overall, later traded to Chicago, used to select D'Wayne Bates)
1999 fourth round pick (107th overall, used to select Nate Stimson)
1999 fifth round pick (144th overall, later traded to Chicago, used to select Khari Samuel)
1999 sixth round pick (179th overall, later traded to Denver, used to select Desmond Clark)
1999 seventh round pick (218th overall, later traded to Denver, used to select Billy Miller)
2000 first round pick (2nd overall, used to select LaVar Arrington)
2000 third round pick (64th overall, used to select Lloyd Harrison)

Here's my question.. how many players today if any would you pull the "Ricky Williams" trade for aka 8 picks (2 1sts, 2 3rds (or 1 2nd 1 3rd for arguments sake) and then 4th-7th), and how many teams would actually say yes?

My short list of players who would be worth it:
McDavid
Matthews
Makar
MacKinnon
and MAYBE Bedard for the #1 overall pick.

and honestly idk if any of those teams (EDM, COL, TOR) would say yes.
Jan. 25, 2022 at 7:39 a.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
I don’t even know if some of these organizations would be content enough with a Ricky Williams return. With McDavid, I would expect EDM to ask for a Herschel Walker-esqe return.
capsfan2121 liked this.
Jan. 26, 2022 at 9:56 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Gotta think NHL teams would do to move from 12th to 5th (sometimes) Can't imagine any team trading down from their first to 12th though.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll