Forums/Armchair-GM

Selling with EK65 Out for Surgery

Created by: areax91
Team: 2021-22 San Jose Sharks
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 25, 2022
Published: Jan. 25, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
With EK65 going under the knife, it's tough to say where the Sharks will end up. It could very well serve as a time for the Sharks to sell, so this ACGM will cover a potential selling situation to build up draft capital.
Trades
SJS
  1. DeSmith, Casey
  2. 2022 2nd round pick (PIT)
  3. 2022 4th round pick (PIT)
SJS
  1. Swayman, Jeremy
  2. 2022 1st round pick (BOS)
BOS
  1. Hertl, Tomas ($2,812,500 retained)
SJS
  1. 2022 5th round pick (WSH)
SJS
  1. Turris, Kyle
  2. 2022 2nd round pick (EDM)
EDM
  1. Nieto, Matt
  2. 2022 4th round pick (SJS)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$49,968,333$0$780,000$31,531,667
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the San Jose Sharks
$750,000$750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$8,000,000$8,000,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 6
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$1,550,000$1,550,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Seattle Kraken
$2,250,000$2,250,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$1,650,000$1,650,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$500,000$500,000
LW
UFA - 1
$842,500$842,500 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
C
RFA - 2
$848,333$848,333 (Performance Bonus$60,000$60K)
LW, RW
RFA - 3
$750,000$750,000
LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
LD
UFA - 1
$5,280,000$5,280,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$125,000$125K)
G
RFA - 2
$725,000$725,000
LD
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$300,000$300K)
RD
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
LD
UFA - 1
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LD/RD
NMC
UFA - 5
$2,175,000$2,175,000
G
UFA - 2
$2,250,000$2,250,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$783,333$783,333
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$796,667$796,667
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$10,000,000$10,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 6
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 25, 2022 at 1:53 p.m.
We probably sell now, but smaller pieces so Hertl stays and with Labanc hurt he probably stays as well, besides he has negative value right now till he can turn things around.
i would look for max value for Reimer, Nieto, Cogliano, Bonino, Simek.
and listen to offers for Barabanov, Balcers and Middleton.
Jan. 25, 2022 at 2:00 p.m.
IamAlwaysRight
what is the point of wennberg. No point at all to acquire him.
Jan. 25, 2022 at 2:02 p.m.
Banned
Sharks should have been selling in the first place.
As far as the trades:
Boston - take out the first and its a discussion. I still don’t think they’ll ever trade swayman for a rental, but it’s a discussion.
Seattle - I guess I just don’t see the point. It’s a swap of mid level bad contracts. One, or both sides is going to hate it.
The rest are kind of just shuffling deck chairs.
Jan. 25, 2022 at 2:09 p.m.
Banned
Here's a few issues with the Reimer trade and it's not because it's not fair deal, it totally is...

1) Hextall has been pretty adamant that the Pens 1st and 2nds are off-limits. Now, could break on that rule? I guess anything is possible, but I wouldn't bet on it. That said, the Pens offer would probably look closer to a 3rd, 4th, DeSmith + Prospect.

2) Salary. Pens are in cap-hell and would need retention. Not 50%, but probably around $500-$700K which obviously would mean you'd want more than the offer I proposed in #1.

If it were up to me, I'd take that proposed deal with $600K retained.
Jan. 25, 2022 at 2:13 p.m.
Quoting: Mr_Gardoki
Here's a few issues with the Reimer trade and it's not because it's not fair deal, it totally is...

1) Hextall has been pretty adamant that the Pens 1st and 2nds are off-limits. Now, could break on that rule? I guess anything is possible, but I wouldn't bet on it. That said, the Pens offer would probably look closer to a 3rd, 4th, DeSmith + Prospect.

2) Salary. Pens are in cap-hell and would need retention. Not 50%, but probably around $500-$700K which obviously would mean you'd want more than the offer I proposed in #1.

If it were up to me, I'd take that proposed deal with $600K retained.

Reimer has a cheap contract where the sharks could even return a million and take back desmith and he’s the same cap hit. with another year on his contract and how well he has played and his price there’s no way the sharks move him without at least a 2nd. 3rd, 4th and prospect won’t do it.
Jan. 25, 2022 at 2:24 p.m.
Backn 2da leff-JFK
I remember wanting the Blackhawks to overpay for EK65 to have a DK EK line back then. It’s unfortunate to see him with the injuries he has sustained, truly was an offensive beast in prime
areax91 liked this.
Jan. 25, 2022 at 2:26 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: glarson17
Reimer has a cheap contract where the sharks could even return a million and take back desmith and he’s the same cap hit. with another year on his contract and how well he has played and his price there’s no way the sharks move him without at least a 2nd. 3rd, 4th and prospect won’t do it.

Agreed. I was just explaining the Pens situation, not trying to low-ball.
Jan. 25, 2022 at 2:28 p.m.
Agreed. I was just explaining the Pens situation, not trying to low-ball.

For sure, I think he would be a good add to the pens. Definitely and upgrade from desmith for the same price if the sharks retain a mil
areax91 liked this.
Jan. 25, 2022 at 2:33 p.m.
Lets Get Kraken
Personally, I think that the Sharks should sell Hertl off if they have any doubt that they make the playoffs. Mind you, there would be a handshake agreement to bring him back to SJ in the off-season. With Kane’s money no longer dragging down the team, the Sharks should be able to give him about 9mil. You get as much of a return for Hertl to build up the future more, then bring him back in the off season and try contending again. For the sharks, they should heavily consider this strategy with all their UFA rentals this year.
areax91 liked this.
Jan. 25, 2022 at 3:07 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: glarson17
For sure, I think he would be a good add to the pens. Definitely and upgrade from desmith for the same price if the sharks retain a mil

Totally. He'd be the perfect get for the Pens.
Jan. 25, 2022 at 3:11 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: evelutions2
Personally, I think that the Sharks should sell Hertl off if they have any doubt that they make the playoffs. Mind you, there would be a handshake agreement to bring him back to SJ in the off-season. With Kane’s money no longer dragging down the team, the Sharks should be able to give him about 9mil. You get as much of a return for Hertl to build up the future more, then bring him back in the off season and try contending again. For the sharks, they should heavily consider this strategy with all their UFA rentals this year.

I think the Sharks in general need to have a serious re-evaluation of how to move forward. If it were me, and I've talked about this with other Sharks fans on here, it's time to pull the chord and start the rebuild. The Pacific is only going to get tougher next year with VGK and CGY leading the pack and with ANA, VAN and LAK on the rise. This division is going to look a lot like the Metro soon enough and SJ is just overall an older team looking in.
evelutions2 liked this.
Jan. 25, 2022 at 3:37 p.m.
You lost Boston when you mentioned Swayman
Jan. 25, 2022 at 5:19 p.m.
Temple of Ferraro
I think the Sharks in general need to have a serious re-evaluation of how to move forward. If it were me, and I've talked about this with other Sharks fans on here, it's time to pull the chord and start the rebuild. The Pacific is only going to get tougher next year with VGK and CGY leading the pack and with ANA, VAN and LAK on the rise. This division is going to look a lot like the Metro soon enough and SJ is just overall an older team looking in.

I don’t necessarily think we need to commit to a full rebuild at this point. We have a 1C prospect in Eklund, a 2C prospect in Bordeleau, a 1G prospect in Gaudreau, and several top 6 wing prospects in Guschin, Coe, Wiesblatt, and Robins. We also got Merkley, Ferraro, Knyzhov, and Hatakka who’ve shown they can play at the NHL level and be good + underrated prospects like Laroque, Knizev on the back end. Add to that probably one of the best 4th lines in 2-3 years with Viel-Weatherby-Raska. And then of course Meier and Dahlen who will be top 6 staples for the next decade. Along with a couple other pieces in Couture, Barabanov, Karlsson, and Balcers; I think we only need 2 more years with high picks and we’re back to being the power house of old. (Sorry if that was rambly)
Jan. 25, 2022 at 5:31 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Bias_it_self
I don’t necessarily think we need to commit to a full rebuild at this point. We have a 1C prospect in Eklund, a 2C prospect in Bordeleau, a 1G prospect in Gaudreau, and several top 6 wing prospects in Guschin, Coe, Wiesblatt, and Robins. We also got Merkley, Ferraro, Knyzhov, and Hatakka who’ve shown they can play at the NHL level and be good + underrated prospects like Laroque, Knizev on the back end. Add to that probably one of the best 4th lines in 2-3 years with Viel-Weatherby-Raska. And then of course Meier and Dahlen who will be top 6 staples for the next decade. Along with a couple other pieces in Couture, Barabanov, Karlsson, and Balcers; I think we only need 2 more years with high picks and we’re back to being the power house of old. (Sorry if that was rambly)

Not rambly, I get where you're coming from, but I think you have to consider a few things:

1) Not all of those prospects will pan out, but let's respectively the top ones you mention do and maybe two of the others top-six wing prospects you mention do as well.
2) They may all make the NHL, but they will not all have the same impact. Some will be better than others.
3) These guys are all 19 to 20, so it's going to be a solid two years before they start to have a real impact.
4) By the time they are having an impact, your older players are now even older.

So MAYBE you don't need a full-on rebuild, but something in the model of what the Rangers did would be wise.

IMO it's better to stink for a few years of their development, bank some more top picks and then start shopping FA to build around them.

EDIT: I'd consider retaining half on your bigger/badder contracts to get some picks, maybe one buyout, get some top picks for Hertl and maybe Couture (retaining a little) and in a few years you can have a lot more money to build around the younger players instead of being hampered down.
Jan. 25, 2022 at 6:08 p.m.
Quoting: CMcAvoy73
As far as the trades:
Boston - take out the first and its a discussion. I still don’t think they’ll ever trade swayman for a rental, but it’s a discussion.
Seattle - I guess I just don’t see the point. It’s a swap of mid level bad contracts. One, or both sides is going to hate it.

The idea is the Wennberg would be a 3C after this season. Seattle hasn't played to his strengths and the Kraken are in need of a scoring winger. Both Wennberg and Labanc are on a downswing and both have comparable cap hits, so I figured the Sharks would might as well put that same cap hit to a player who can fill in as a 3C and can serve as a stop-gap in 2C until an offseason addition (or ideally Bordeleau or Robins) can take the role.

The important thing is that we have a lot of prospects waiting in the wings and it would be ideal to blood them into the NHL level over the next two seasons. Ryan Merkley, Weatherby, Raska, and Dahlen have done well in their first year, and Eklund, Wiesblatt, and one of Bordeleau, Hatakka, Kniazev, or Robins are likely to be on the main roster next season. As much as I'd love us to make it to the playoffs and keep Hertl, objectively looking at our roster makes me think it's time for new blood to be brought on full time to the big leagues.
Jan. 25, 2022 at 6:19 p.m.
As far as the trades:

I chose Swayman for the Hertl deal given the Bruins' jam in goalies and his solid performances at the NHL level at his young age. It makes sense if Boston isn't interested in trading him, but he does fill a need for reliable goaltending. Reimer is currently providing this in spades for the Sharks, but if the Sharks sell he's amongst the likeliest to be gone come deadline day. Would the Bruins be interested in Swayman for Hertl direct swap or (more ideally) Swayman + 2022 1st for Hertl + 2022 3rd? If Swayman is off the table, I'd be down for a trade involving Ullmark.
Jan. 25, 2022 at 6:21 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: areax91
I chose Swayman for the Hertl deal given the Bruins' jam in goalies and his solid performances at the NHL level at his young age. It makes sense if Boston isn't interested in trading him, but he does fill a need for reliable goaltending. Reimer is currently providing this in spades for the Sharks, but if the Sharks sell he's amongst the likeliest to be gone come deadline day. Would the Bruins be interested in Swayman for Hertl direct swap or (more ideally) Swayman + 2022 1st for Hertl + 2022 3rd? If Swayman is off the table, I'd be down for a trade involving Ullmark.

Swayman for hertl straight up is the maximum. I still think they probably don’t do that. And lets not undersell the performance in the NHL. It wasn’t solid, it was fantastic. Sub 2 GAA and I think like a .928 SV%. I think the plan is to gauge Rasks performance for the remainder of the season. The most likely scenario is Rask is Rask, and the plan moving forward is to move Ullmark for whatever the team can get, and go with Swayman and Rask moving forward.
Jan. 25, 2022 at 6:31 p.m.
Swayman for hertl straight up is the maximum. I still think they probably don’t do that. And lets not undersell the performance in the NHL. It wasn’t solid, it was fantastic. Sub 2 GAA and I think like a .928 SV%. I think the plan is to gauge Rasks performance for the remainder of the season. The most likely scenario is Rask is Rask, and the plan moving forward is to move Ullmark for whatever the team can get, and go with Swayman and Rask moving forward.

Fair enough. How about Ullmark, a 1st + a conditional 4th (given if Hertl re-signs) for Hertl?
Jan. 25, 2022 at 6:50 p.m.
Lets Get Kraken

I completely agree with that take. I agree the Sharks should really start their rebuild. I was just making that statement assuming they still want to try to be competitive, and just keep postponing their rebuild. I am pretty sure that they will try to be competitive again next year, but they can only be so mediocre until they are forced to rebuild. I mean, if you can snag a couple of first round equivalents then bring Hertl right back in the off-season, they should be all in on that.
Mr_Gardoki and areax91 liked this.
Jan. 25, 2022 at 6:51 p.m.
Bedard23
When it looks like Karlsson finally gets going injuries happen…
Jan. 25, 2022 at 6:54 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: evelutions2
I completely agree with that take. I agree the Sharks should really start their rebuild. I was just making that statement assuming they still want to try to be competitive, and just keep postponing their rebuild. I am pretty sure that they will try to be competitive again next year, but they can only be so mediocre until they are forced to rebuild. I mean, if you can snag a couple of first round equivalents then bring Hertl right back in the off-season, they should be all in on that.

They absolutely should get what they can for Hertl. No doubt.
Jan. 25, 2022 at 7:00 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: areax91
Fair enough. How about Ullmark, a 1st + a conditional 4th (given if Hertl re-signs) for Hertl?

I don’t think teams are allowed to do re-sign conditions anymore.

I doubt the bruins do that, i think the plan is to move ullmark in the off-season. Personally i would love it.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll