SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Pittsburgh Penguins signed Jeff Carter (2 Years / $3,125,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jan. 26, 2022 at 6:59 p.m.
v5 Minnesota GM
He's already 37 so contract will run till mid 39. I don't think they should've signed that contract even though he has been amazing since coming to Pittsburgh. I would've liked to see a 1 year 3 million contract. And if he's still good you give the same contract again
Jan. 26, 2022 at 6:59 p.m.
Canes fan
Looks good this season, but if he falls off next season, Hextall will be getting a lot of backlash for this.

I'd called it a risk signing, but it'll pay off if he doesn't drop off too much for next season.
Jan. 26, 2022 at 7:07 p.m.
Let's go Pens!
As a Pens fan, I like Jeff Carter pretty much. He can play in both sides of the rink and any forward position. And he's been playing pretty well. But our priority should be re-sign Letang, Malkin and Rust. Then we'd try to re-sign him. Now, it'll be much harder to keep Rust, especially. That's the reason that I don't like it. I hope Hextall figure it out.
Jan. 26, 2022 at 7:10 p.m.
GO KNIGHTS GO
hqdefault.jpg
oilersguy liked this.
Jan. 26, 2022 at 8:01 p.m.
Yes, a real hockey story. I was getting tired of the meaningless contract signings and the Ahl trades.

Vote YES
Jan. 26, 2022 at 8:17 p.m.
cautious optimism
The man that lives rent-free in the heads of every Blue Jackets fan.
Jan. 26, 2022 at 8:25 p.m.
Not yet trannycided
On one hand, Carter has been awesome with PIT. On the other hand, it is almost never a good idea to give a multi-year deal to a guy as old as he is. The NMC was totally unnecessary too.
Jan. 26, 2022 at 11:52 p.m.
Evans truther
The deal just feels like Carter got anything he'd ask..
Multi year check
NMC check
North of 3M check
I understand he's having a good year but he's 37 and that contract is buyout and trade proof, likelihood of this ending up like Marleau are pretty high but I guess that's Pitts last effort to be contenders.
Trickster liked this.
Jan. 27, 2022 at 3:14 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Trickster
NMC, I dont get it why Penguins gave that.

because he wants to win a cup and not dumped off to some other team and that's what it takes to stop him from going else where.
Lets be clear about this. It's not like a player of his caliber and ability didn't have options.

3 mil per is a pretty standard contract for a 3C right now. One could argue that it's a little less to be honest.
2 years isn't some long contract they are roped into.
I like the move as far as keeping the depth down the middle. It's a huge move in the sense that they really don't have any depth down the middle past their current 4 centers.
People want to talk about decline. This isn't an issue. Blueger is a stud and everyone who watches him play knows that. He's more than capable of playing up the line. So It's not like they can't limit the role and use Carter in the best ways.
I think the reality to me is what they are looking at is 2 more years of a window. Because if they didn't think they had 2 more years of a window, than I don't see why they do this.
I can't blame them for thinking that. It's not like the team isn't playing well. Having said that, they do need some help in a scoring forward and defensive depth on the 3RD.
But I would say this deal probably marks an end to Zucker next year or this. I wouldn't be holding my breath if I was him.
Jan. 27, 2022 at 5:15 a.m.
Chiggy
Quoting: ColonelX
The deal just feels like Carter got anything he'd ask..
Multi year check
NMC check
North of 3M check
I understand he's having a good year but he's 37 and that contract is buyout and trade proof, likelihood of this ending up like Marleau are pretty high but I guess that's Pitts last effort to be contenders.

There's a big difference between a 37-year-old player getting 2 x $3,125,000 with a NMC and one getting 3 x $6,250,000 with a NMC.
Jan. 27, 2022 at 10:26 a.m.
NoCupsForCanada
This is one of those wait and see deals. Could be fine, could look horrible. Pitt probably looked at the risk/reward and decided to keep pushing with their window closing soon.
Jan. 27, 2022 at 1:00 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Quoting: pharrow
because he wants to win a cup and not dumped off to some other team and that's what it takes to stop him from going else where.
Lets be clear about this. It's not like a player of his caliber and ability didn't have options.

3 mil per is a pretty standard contract for a 3C right now. One could argue that it's a little less to be honest.
2 years isn't some long contract they are roped into.
I like the move as far as keeping the depth down the middle. It's a huge move in the sense that they really don't have any depth down the middle past their current 4 centers.
People want to talk about decline. This isn't an issue. Blueger is a stud and everyone who watches him play knows that. He's more than capable of playing up the line. So It's not like they can't limit the role and use Carter in the best ways.
I think the reality to me is what they are looking at is 2 more years of a window. Because if they didn't think they had 2 more years of a window, than I don't see why they do this.
I can't blame them for thinking that. It's not like the team isn't playing well. Having said that, they do need some help in a scoring forward and defensive depth on the 3RD.
But I would say this deal probably marks an end to Zucker next year or this. I wouldn't be holding my breath if I was him.

The post right above yours by @ColonelX sums up my thoughts pretty well.
Jan. 27, 2022 at 2:12 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Trickster
The post right above yours by ColonelX sums up my thoughts pretty well.

that's great and all but he's going to get all of that anyhow.
Teams are always looking for center help. He's on a 24-25 goal, 50+ point pace. You tell me where you are getting a 3C like that on a 1 year deal at less than 3 million.
Furthermore, he wants to compete for a cup not get shipped off to some bottom feeder team, so he's gonna get his NMC on that.
To be bluntly honest about it, looking at his numbers, what he brings on the ice as far as faceoff, defense leadership etc... He took a discount.
Danault got 5.5 mil last year.
Wennberg got 4.5
Jenner 3.75
Lowry got 3.25

I mean look, to say he asked for money is kind of a joke. He could have probably got a whole lot more.
To say he asked for term, 2 years...that's not really asking for term. Especially given the year he's had this year. It's not like he's showing sings of falling off the cliff.
My guess is the NMC comes with the low cap hit. Guys are willing to sign for less if they are happy and like where they are at. You take that away and they want their money.
Jan. 27, 2022 at 4:57 p.m.
WentWughes
Hated the trade, but he surprised me (I thought he was finished). Bravo for him

Now for the signing, I think 2 years is too long because of the chances he drops off. That being said, 3.1 Million for a middle 6 center is a very fair contract.
Jan. 27, 2022 at 5:54 p.m.
torontos finest
This makes sense if you believe the Penguins are trying to get everything they can out of their current core of players. He's been very good for them and thinking he can continue for another two years is a better gamble than trying to fill that spot with a free agent (who would be more expensive) or a prospect (which the Penguins lack). Players into their late 30s start to fall off significantly so there's a lot of risk, though. If the deal goes south the team is already going to be headed in that direction anyways.
Jan. 30, 2022 at 3:21 a.m.
GM67
For those that voted NO on this signing they are absolutely clueless of how good Jeff Carter is to a hockey team and he has been nothing but excellent for the Pittsburgh Penguins. Carter still flies on the ice and he is so darn smart and can play 5 on 5 and on the Power Play and the Penalty Kill. Jeff is a terrific leader and he makes everyone around him better. This is a GREAT signing and at his age he should not ba as good as he is BUT he is a stud hockey player. GREAT JOB with this signing.
Apr. 15, 2023 at 1:04 p.m.
Quoting: jasondomitrovic
For those that voted NO on this signing they are absolutely clueless of how good Jeff Carter is to a hockey team and he has been nothing but excellent for the Pittsburgh Penguins. Carter still flies on the ice and he is so darn smart and can play 5 on 5 and on the Power Play and the Penalty Kill. Jeff is a terrific leader and he makes everyone around him better. This is a GREAT signing and at his age he should not ba as good as he is BUT he is a stud hockey player. GREAT JOB with this signing.

Are you sure they are clueless?
GiggywithGibby liked this.
Apr. 18, 2023 at 2:33 a.m.
Future Ducks legend
Quoting: jasondomitrovic

This didn't age very well, did it?
Ritzy liked this.
Apr. 18, 2023 at 10:58 a.m.
Leafs Sufferer
Quoting: GiggywithGibby
This didn't age very well, did it?

He was just kidding, of course.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit