Forums/Armchair-GM

Clearing Cap Space and Filling Needs 4

Team: 2021-22 Boston Bruins
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 3, 2022
Published: Feb. 3, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
PLEASE READ
Some people didn't take my message of "This is only for fun so don't take it too serious." to heart. Who would have thought that a depth player for a middle pick would be the trade that sets people off. 🙄
This will be my last stab at these trades so feel free to politely offer your opinions.

1. Isles defense are terrible. They will be letting both Chara and Greene walk in the off-season and may trade Mayfield by the deadline. They're going to need someone now and for the next couple years. I've seen an Isles fan offer a third and a player for Reilly in another thread but I'm more interested with dumping salary here so just want the pick.

2. Arizona has made themselves available to absord cap hits. Don't really buy a lot with this move but do obtain a servicable bottom pair D that doesn't fit into the Yotes plans. They get a pick, a prospect and can even give Senyshyn a no risk try out for the rest of the season to see if he can pan out. Nobody wanted him on waivers so just moving on is better for the Bruins.

3. For Seattle, Debrusk is equal or better than Jarnkrok and is much younger. Both players are capable of being 20 goal scorers but neither has lived up to that this year for different reasons but both are starting to play well. Having a player in the lineup that has asked for a trade is bad for morale so cut our losses and get a piece back that can help the team. Nosek is better than Sheahan and younger as well but is a cap casuality jn this scenerio. Seattle absorbs the higher cap hit but gets younger players as a trade off and Nosek has another year left on a decent contract. Wagner adds some grit to their 4th line and is mostly just a throw in but would be an upgrade for Seattle. He has also already cleared waivers so they don't need to bring him up unless needed.

4. Plenty of cap space so now it's time to put the screws to Vegas who is under the gun to move some contracts. Martinez fits a LD1 need and with his cap hit they will have to pay to move it. It's going to cost them a 1st round pick to move 3 years at 5.25 mil for a 34 year old. Sending a much cheaper defense option back that has playoff experience to either be a third pair D of 7th man.

Those first four deals need to be done sooner rather than later or risk missing the Vegas dump.

5. Lastly, if Pavelski is willing to come to the Bruins a first round pick, a prospect and a young player should be enough for a rental at his age. Dallas retains half his salary to make the cap hit work. I've heard this is an overpay and an underpay, so I'm probably in the sweet spot for a good trade for both teams. The reason I would go after Pavelski and slot him in RW on Bergy's line is because of how well Haula has played at 2C. Since he has taken over in January he has averaged around .72 pts per game and the second line had been our best, while the first line has taken a step back with Smith on the right. Pavelski allows us to drop Smith to the third line where he will have more impact and creates an explosive top two lines. If Haula struggles Pavelski can also play center and take over the 2C position.

There is some give and take in these moves. Sometimes giving a little more to get necessary cap space and sometimes getting a lot more than I'm giving away. In the end, if all this gets done, I think the Bruins have a chance at making a nice playoff run and they haven't sacrificed the future to do it.

Be gentle. 🤣✌
Trades
BOS
  1. 2022 3rd round pick (NYI)
BOS
  1. Martinez, Alec
  2. 2023 1st round pick (VGK)
VGK
  1. Clifton, Connor
  2. 2022 7th round pick (BOS)
BOS
  1. Pavelski, Joe ($3,500,000 retained)
DAL
  1. Berglund, Victor
  2. Frederic, Trent
  3. 2023 1st round pick (VGK)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the SEA
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$81,500,000$79,794,841$1,956,507$207,500$1,705,159

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$6,125,000$6,125,000
LW
NMC
UFA - 4
$6,875,000$6,875,000
C
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW
NMC
UFA - 4
$2,375,000$2,375,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$6,666,667$6,666,667
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Seattle Kraken
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, C, LW
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C, RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 5
$3,100,000$3,100,000
RW
UFA - 2
$3,800,000$3,800,000
LW, C, RW
NMC
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$809,167$809,167 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
C, RW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Seattle Kraken
$850,000$850,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,900,000$4,900,000
RD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
NMC
UFA - 4
$3,687,500$3,687,500
LD
UFA - 3
$4,100,000$4,100,000
RD
UFA - 6
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$125,000$125K)
G
RFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
$1,350,000$1,350,000
RD
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
NMC
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
Taxi Squad
$894,167$894,167 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
LD/RD
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 3, 2022 at 2:51 p.m.
Islanders trade make sense, coyotes won’t take Moore and give liub for bunch of nothings,
Seattle trade make sense but it’s should be like Debrusk and Wagner for janrkork and a 3rd don’t add sheahan and nosek but I can’t see seattle trading their picks, Dallas trade make sense but bruins won’t trade Frederic and berglund has no value
Feb. 3, 2022 at 2:55 p.m.
Yikes that is bad for Vegas
Feb. 3, 2022 at 2:55 p.m.
In case you haven’t noticed, no one reads details on here, maybe 1 in 10 actually do, they skip right to the trades and then say nope we want your best prospect and 2 years 1st rounders for a rental, anyways

I like jarkrok and lyu for depth options, Martinez I’m not sold on just cause contract cost and length,if it was a rental or one more year only of term then I’d be down but between him forbort and someone has to go next season, and with his contract being larger would really hurt us for resigning until we got him moved
Feb. 3, 2022 at 3:01 p.m.
Now you are getting a 1st for Clifton? Holy hell
Feb. 3, 2022 at 3:04 p.m.
Quoting: Bruinsforlife
Islanders trade make sense, coyotes won’t take Moore and give liub for bunch of nothings,
Seattle trade make sense but it’s should be like Debrusk and Wagner for janrkork and a 3rd don’t add sheahan and nosek but I can’t see seattle trading their picks, Dallas trade make sense but bruins won’t trade Frederic and berglund has no value

The way I see it is this,
Arizona is open to taking on salary. Moore has alreay cleared waivers as has Senyshyn so really they are only taking on 1.6 mil. That almost goes to zero cap hit by moving Lyubush, who isn't in their future plans and they still receive a 4th and a prospect to do it. I think they accept.
For Seattle I have to include Nosek to make the cap work and bringing back Sheahan just gives some 4th line depth that I am losing by clearing cap. Seattle might not want to move a 3rd round pick but I could probably squeeze a 4th out of them. Either way, you have to start negotiations somewhere.
For Dallas it's more about getting a 1st round pick and a young player. I don't see Frederic as being untouchable if it makes the team better and Berglund is a throw in prospect to make up for a '23 pick instead of a '22.
These threads are about what we would do as GM's not what we think the current GM's will do. These are the moves I would make to give my Bruins a chance to win now while Bergy is still under contract. ✌
Feb. 3, 2022 at 3:06 p.m.
Quoting: glarson17
Now you are getting a 1st for Clifton? Holy hell

No, we're getting a 1st to take the Martinez cap hit from Vegas who needs to dump salary for when Eichel and Martinez return. They don't have a choice but to dump cap. Are you new?
Feb. 3, 2022 at 3:08 p.m.
Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy
Yikes that is bad for Vegas

What choice do they have sitting at 92 mil with Eichel and Martinez about to get healthy?
Feb. 3, 2022 at 3:13 p.m.
Quoting: Snowball
In case you haven’t noticed, no one reads details on here, maybe 1 in 10 actually do, they skip right to the trades and then say nope we want your best prospect and 2 years 1st rounders for a rental, anyways

I like jarkrok and lyu for depth options, Martinez I’m not sold on just cause contract cost and length,if it was a rental or one more year only of term then I’d be down but between him forbort and someone has to go next season, and with his contract being larger would really hurt us for resigning until we got him moved

I noticed. Really if you look at UFA's for next year, it's only Bergeron, Pavelski and Jarnkrok that need to be signed. Bergy will sign for less than he is making now if he comes back and no one else will make significantly more than what they are making now. Pavelski probably walks but we replace the 1st we spent on him in the Vegas deal. If Bergy leaves we could still re-sign Pavelski who should also be much lower than his previous cap hit. The rest are all RFA's that haven't earned any big pay raises. It is very doable
Feb. 3, 2022 at 3:24 p.m.
Quoting: BRUINSfansEVERYWHERE
What choice do they have sitting at 92 mil with Eichel and Martinez about to get healthy?

Thats funny that you think they would pay to move a player as good as Martinez.
Feb. 3, 2022 at 3:45 p.m.
Thats funny that you think they would pay to move a player as good as Martinez.

They can't wait for the deadline and that is a bad contract for a 34 year old player just coming back from injury. Not many teams can take on that contract let alone carry it for two more years without clearing space. What playoff contender is going to be able to trade for him without sending back a bad contract? What non playoff team is going to make that kind of investment in a 34 year old? The list gets smaller and smaller until it gets to the point where they don't have a choice but to pay to get rid of the contract to fit Eichel in. The precedent has already been set that dumping a 5+mil contract on an older player is a 1st round pick. If you can come up with a team willing to pay for him that can make the cap work in the next 4 weeks, feel free to post it.
Feb. 3, 2022 at 3:49 p.m.
They can't wait for the deadline and that is a bad contract for a 34 year old player just coming back from injury. Not many teams can take on that contract let alone carry it for two more years without clearing space. What playoff contender is going to be able to trade for him without sending back a bad contract? What non playoff team is going to make that kind of investment in a 34 year old? The list gets smaller and smaller until it gets to the point where they don't have a choice but to pay to get rid of the contract to fit Eichel in. The precedent has already been set that dumping a 5+mil contract on an older player is a 1st round pick. If you can come up with a team willing to pay for him that can make the cap work in the next 4 weeks, feel free to post it.

The fact that you think Martinez has negative value really says a lot. Plenty of teams would pay to add him at the deadline
Feb. 3, 2022 at 3:52 p.m.
The fact that you think Martinez has negative value really says a lot. Plenty of teams would pay to add him at the deadline

Give me a scenerio of a team that needs him enough to make it fit. In a flat cap, crazy things happen. Vegas can't afford to keep him and need to move him soon. Who can take his cap hit right now and for 2 more years after this? Give me a trade that makes sense if you know you are right.
Feb. 3, 2022 at 4:05 p.m.
Give me a scenerio of a team that needs him enough to make it fit. In a flat cap, crazy things happen. Vegas can't afford to keep him and need to move him soon. Who can take his cap hit right now and for 2 more years after this? Give me a trade that makes sense if you know you are right.

I dont understand your narrative that Martinez has to be the player moved. Eichel probably isn't going to play until the playoffs at this point. and even then both Dadonov and Smith will be moved long before Martinez
Feb. 3, 2022 at 4:29 p.m.
I dont understand your narrative that Martinez has to be the player moved. Eichel probably isn't going to play until the playoffs at this point. and even then both Dadonov and Smith will be moved long before Martinez

From a depth perspective I can't see them moving both of those forwards and they just signed Mcnabb to an extension. Those things together with Martinez age puts him on the outs in my opinion. Smith would be the other player I see getting moved out. Those two moves limit the hit to their complete roster depth compared to moving out a bunch of their middle players.
Eichel should be back sometime in the next 4-8 weeks but either way they will have to make their moves before then. Who knows, maybe I'm completely wrong about what they will do but they are not dealing from a place of strength no matter what it is.
Skull_King liked this.
Feb. 3, 2022 at 4:31 p.m.
Fair deal for the Isles, wanted them to sign Reilly before he resigned with Boston.
Feb. 3, 2022 at 4:44 p.m.
From a depth perspective I can't see them moving both of those forwards and they just signed Mcnabb to an extension. Those things together with Martinez age puts him on the outs in my opinion. Smith would be the other player I see getting moved out. Those two moves limit the hit to their complete roster depth compared to moving out a bunch of their middle players.
Eichel should be back sometime in the next 4-8 weeks but either way they will have to make their moves before then. Who knows, maybe I'm completely wrong about what they will do but they are not dealing from a place of strength no matter what it is.

They are dealing from a position of auction. Refer to the JT. Miller trade a couple years ago. Regardless of who gets moved for cap space they are still a positive impact player on a pro-rated contract for the year. There are a lot of teams in the race that can afford to add a player in the 1-3M range. For example Reilly Smiths prorated cap hit (since the TDL is ~80% through the season in terms of days) is just a bit over 1M
Feb. 3, 2022 at 5:09 p.m.
They are dealing from a position of auction. Refer to the JT. Miller trade a couple years ago. Regardless of who gets moved for cap space they are still a positive impact player on a pro-rated contract for the year. There are a lot of teams in the race that can afford to add a player in the 1-3M range. For example Reilly Smiths prorated cap hit (since the TDL is ~80% through the season in terms of days) is just a bit over 1M

But they can't carry the full cap hit for the next two years and that's the point. Any team with space now is also looking at re-signing some of their own stars in the off-season. If he was a rental like Smith would be, I could see it. His age and contract are not very desireable for contending teams or for teams that are out of the playoff picture. Like I said, maybe I'm wrong but I don't see any teams willing to take him on without compensation. 🤷‍♂️
Feb. 3, 2022 at 5:17 p.m.
But they can't carry the full cap hit for the next two years and that's the point. Any team with space now is also looking at re-signing some of their own stars in the off-season. If he was a rental like Smith would be, I could see it. His age and contract are not very desireable for contending teams or for teams that are out of the playoff picture. Like I said, maybe I'm wrong but I don't see any teams willing to take him on without compensation. 🤷‍♂️

I think quite a few teams like Florida and Carolina would go out of their way to add Martinez to their top 4 this deadline and for the next 2 years. I think you just have a very poor idea on who Martinez is as a player.
Feb. 3, 2022 at 5:19 p.m.
I think quite a few teams like Florida and Carolina would go out of their way to add Martinez to their top 4 this deadline and for the next 2 years. I think you just have a very poor idea on who Martinez is as a player.

Cool. Sorry for not knowing anything. Have a great day. 👍
Ledge_And_Dairy liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll