ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    24$81,500,000$71,854,141$597,561$1,475,000$9,645,859
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
    $2,125,000$2,125,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 3
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$537,500$538K)
    C
    UFA - 1
    $880,833$880,833 (Performance Bonus$300,000$300K)
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    RW, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 6
    $750,000$750,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 2
    $6,500,000$6,500,000
    RW, LW
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 6
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    LW
    UFA - 3
    $750,000$750,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    $1,150,000$1,150,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $3,400,000$3,400,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $950,000$950,000
    C, LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $917,831$917,831
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$637,500$638K)
    LD
    RFA - 1
    $1,750,000$1,750,000
    LD/RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $10,500,000$10,500,000
    G
    NMC
    UFA - 5
    $761,250$761,250
    LD/RD
    RFA - 1
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    RD
    UFA - 4
    $880,833$880,833
    G
    RFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    $750,000$750,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $750,000$750,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $750,000$750,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $7,857,143$7,857,143
    RD
    UFA - 5
    $3,400,000$3,400,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 4
    $4,450,000$4,450,000
    C
    UFA - 4
    $750,000$750,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    $875,000$875,000
    LD/RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $2,875,000$2,875,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    $950,000$950,000
    LW, RW, C
    UFA - 1
    $750,000$750,000
    G
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Feb. 7, 2022 at 10:27 a.m.
    KFTW
    Strong interest doesn’t mean anyone is sending anything of value back or will take his entire 6 mill without sending someone in return or retention
    palhal, swinny, villenash and 1 other person liked this.
    Feb. 7, 2022 at 10:27 a.m.
    unless there is a decent amount of retention by montreal, I dont think it goes beyond interest. Which is such a buzz word by the insiders. Teams are always interested in players but never means they are willing to trade for them
    palhal, csick, villenash and 1 other person liked this.
    Feb. 7, 2022 at 10:29 a.m.
    Hop on the Slaftrain
    Quoting: csick
    Strong interest doesn’t mean anyone is sending anything of value back or will take his entire 6 mill without sending someone in return or retention

I haven't said anything about value, I'm just looking for potential interested teams
    capsfan2121 and csick liked this.
    Feb. 7, 2022 at 10:30 a.m.
    Banned
    Dreger gets a dollar for every time someone mentions his speculation on capfriendly. All he need to say is "bad declining Habs player is drawing interest" and he makes bank.
    Feb. 7, 2022 at 10:30 a.m.
    Tintin over 1122
    Bmac is the type of guy who like defensemen. We drafted one offensive of guy in the 2021 draft. What the hell
    Feb. 7, 2022 at 10:33 a.m.
    VGKNation702
    Maybe half retained, I cant imagine any team taking on that full contract for its length out to a 38 year old Petry....
    palhal and SociallyHawkward liked this.
    Quoting: coga16
    unless there is a decent amount of retention by montreal, I dont think it goes beyond interest. Which is such a buzz word by the insiders. Teams are always interested in players but never means they are willing to trade for them

and the need for a decent amount of retention is based on? Dreger is pretty bang on with his reporting, Hughes has already said he is open to moving petry aslong as it makes sense for the team which means theres value coming back and certainly no retention with 3 years remaining on his contract. If you think a petry trade must have retention then you probably havent watched much of petry's play over the past 5 years. Even factoring in a slow year this year Petry can still do a lot for a team and i really think this year's numbers are because of the perfect storm of him having to play with a different d partner every other not, showing little motivation with the team being in the basement, and the fact that hes living without his family and wants to go back to the states.
    Joblow liked this.
    LongtimeLeafsufferer
    "DARREN DREGER ON TSN THERE IS STRONG INTEREST AROUND THE NHL IN JEFF PETRY". I'm been amazed at Dreger over the years how he can look have this camera with this serious/all knowing eyes and then spew absolute BS.

Don't know what the definition of "serious interest" is but you can be sure if Petry is traded, the Habs are retaining 50% or taking back a bad contract.

GM talk all the time about players., probably 15 players on every team is mentioned in trades, that's 480 players in the league. Petry is just one of those.
    csick and SociallyHawkward liked this.
    Feb. 7, 2022 at 10:35 a.m.
    Quoting: habs_need_Scoring
    and the need for a decent amount of retention is based on? Dreger is pretty bang on with his reporting, Hughes has already said he is open to moving petry aslong as it makes sense for the team which means theres value coming back and certainly no retention with 3 years remaining on his contract. If you think a petry trade must have retention then you probably havent watched much of petry's play over the past 5 years. Even factoring in a slow year this year Petry can still do a lot for a team and i really think this year's numbers are because of the perfect storm of him having to play with a different d partner every other not, showing little motivation with the team being in the basement, and the fact that hes living without his family and wants to go back to the states.

he is making too much money based on his level of play, he fell off a cliff this season. Teams will always ask for retention. would be hard pressed to find teams willing ot take on his contract at full clip right now
    SociallyHawkward liked this.
    Feb. 7, 2022 at 10:39 a.m.
    he is making too much money based on his level of play, he fell off a cliff this season. Teams will always ask for retention. would be hard pressed to find teams willing ot take on his contract at full clip right now

I dont see any reason why mtl would retain on him, I think if that becomes the sticking point they will just wait, They have plenty of other candidates to be moved, theres no reason for them to by paying petry to play somewhere else for the next three years.
    Feb. 7, 2022 at 10:42 a.m.
    I dont see any reason why mtl would retain on him, I think if that becomes the sticking point they will just wait, They have plenty of other candidates to be moved, theres no reason for them to by paying petry to play somewhere else for the next three years.

hes a 34 year old dman that fell off a cliff this season in the 1st year of a new contract. That is very concerning. Aging curves exist and do think hes going to just magically get better at 35 next year to justify 6.25m aav, that is just too muhc pie in the sky type thinking and not being careful with him. Dmen who have logged as many minutes as he has in his career dont age gracefully and this is the 1st sign of that aging curve decline.

Teams will want him as a lesser cap hit to justify the risk at his age. They could be interested in him but only at a reduced cost
    csick liked this.
    Feb. 7, 2022 at 10:52 a.m.
    hes a 34 year old dman that fell off a cliff this season in the 1st year of a new contract. That is very concerning. Aging curves exist and do think hes going to just magically get better at 35 next year to justify 6.25m aav, that is just too muhc pie in the sky type thinking and not being careful with him. Dmen who have logged as many minutes as he has in his career dont age gracefully and this is the 1st sign of that aging curve decline.

Teams will want him as a lesser cap hit to justify the risk at his age. They could be interested in him but only at a reduced cost

Kind proving my point that you havent look at Petry's career. Yes hes a 34 year old dman, but he has hardly logged the minutes of a normal 34year old dman and has only played in 766 reg season games. Couple that with the fact that if you've watched him play this year, his skating is the same as last year, no part of his game seems to be lacking because of a decrease in skill, seems a lot more like a player thats lacking motivation, and wants to move on.

Theres certainly risk in trading for him, as there is an any trade for a player in his mid 30's ,but i think the difference here is everyone on this site wants to focus solely on the 31 games Petry as played and write him off as being to expensive. Whereas i think a lot of teams will view Petry as an attractive piece because of his slow play this year, you have the ability to land a legit top 4 dman for a modest package instead of what it would've cost to land him last year.
    SevenLeg and Joblow liked this.
    Feb. 7, 2022 at 10:56 a.m.
    What in tarnation
    Kind proving my point that you havent look at Petry's career. Yes hes a 34 year old dman, but he has hardly logged the minutes of a normal 34year old dman and has only played in 766 reg season games. Couple that with the fact that if you've watched him play this year, his skating is the same as last year, no part of his game seems to be lacking because of a decrease in skill, seems a lot more like a player thats lacking motivation, and wants to move on.

Theres certainly risk in trading for him, as there is an any trade for a player in his mid 30's ,but i think the difference here is everyone on this site wants to focus solely on the 31 games Petry as played and write him off as being to expensive. Whereas i think a lot of teams will view Petry as an attractive piece because of his slow play this year, you have the ability to land a legit top 4 dman for a modest package instead of what it would've cost to land him last year.

Just name us a few contending teams around the league potentially interested in an assumed top-4 RHD with cap space to take in a $6M+ contract. Because I can't think of a single one.

Habs will have to retain, or take in cap dumps. MTL is not going to be gaining only positive value here. It's not just realistically sustainable.
    SociallyHawkward and palhal liked this.
    Feb. 7, 2022 at 11:02 a.m.
    Hop on the Slaftrain
    Quoting: justaBoss
    Just name us a few contending teams around the league potentially interested in an assumed top-4 RHD with cap space to take in a $6M+ contract. Because I can't think of a single one.

Habs will have to retain, or take in cap dumps. MTL is not going to be gaining only positive value here. It's not just realistically sustainable.

Never underestimate the value of RHDs to NHL GMs. What Ristolainen got as a rental after years of being god awful, or the fact that Gudbranson was passed around like a hot potato at $4M or even an underperforming Seth Jones fetching two top 10 picks, makes me confident we can get some positive assets for Jeff Petry. He has the track record, the name, and was borderline elite 40 games ago.
    Feb. 7, 2022 at 11:02 a.m.
    Habs 2010
    No one expected Buffalo to get a return like Hagg, a 1st round pick (14th overall) and a 2nd round pick for Ristolainen who is a pending UFA.

Top 4 RHD have value, it has been reported that some teams still view Petry as the same player of last year... if that's the case it's then there's a real scenario MTL gets a good return.

Also, a year ago when Petry was extended everyone was talking about what a steal it was (he went on to have a career year after signing the extension). That doesn't just become an albatross contract over half a season.

Edit:
    @SevenLeg you beat me to it haha, agreed.
    SevenLeg and Hockey247 liked this.
    Feb. 7, 2022 at 11:04 a.m.

Since joining the league, Jeff Petry is 22nd amongst Dmen in time on ice. Dont tell me he hasnt logged many minutes. He has been a work horse since he has entered the league. hes breaking down,
    Feb. 7, 2022 at 11:06 a.m.
    retired
    teams with a lot of cap and maybe looking to improve. wings, kings, and kraken?
    Feb. 7, 2022 at 11:07 a.m.
    Go Habs Go
    HABS are not trading Petry because his value today at best is a 3rd pick because of his contract and lousy play this year. Petry has over 170 pts in the last 4 years and was a nominee for the Norris last year.

He needs to pickup his game to get traded. Unless he scores 5 goals and 15 points by March deadline he will be traded next year. HABS management will not lose out with a Petry trade.
    Feb. 7, 2022 at 11:21 a.m.
    What in tarnation
    Quoting: SevenLeg
    Never underestimate the value of RHDs to NHL GMs. What Ristolainen got as a rental after years of being god awful, or the fact that Gudbranson was passed around like a hot potato at $4M or even an underperforming Seth Jones fetching two top 10 picks, makes me confident we can get some positive assets for Jeff Petry. He has the track record, the name, and was borderline elite 40 games ago.

Sure, they will likely net positive value because GMs are idiots but my point is that realistically no team can afford the guy as of now without MTL taking in salary.
    Feb. 7, 2022 at 11:26 a.m.
    Hockey247
    detroit, preds, maybe ducks if they lose some depth on the right side. detroit makes the most sense to me. hometown player too. maybe dallas if they want to compete next year?
    Feb. 7, 2022 at 11:31 a.m.
    Ovchinnikov 137
    Quoting: SevenLeg

Think this pretty much sums it up. We can hate on the player all we want, RD's will always be a commodity that GM's will covet.

Dreger is a fool IMO but it's not hard to think that some team will come calling. On what he will cost, no idea but there will probably be some team that comes calling at the TDL or summer.
    SevenLeg liked this.
    Feb. 7, 2022 at 11:33 a.m.
    Quoting: justaBoss

100% agree that most contenders cant afford a 6mil dman without shedding, and I fully expect mtl to have to take back a contract in a petry deal to a contender, which i think is something the habs would do. My argument was only against this notion that they will retain a significant portion of his contract, i dont think they will need too. I think Detroit is an option, and one where they can take on that contract. Would bring veteran presence to a pretty young team.

Theres many ways a petry deal can go down and theres no rush to move him at the TDL, habs can be patient on this.
    Feb. 7, 2022 at 11:40 a.m.
    What in tarnation
    100% agree that most contenders cant afford a 6mil dman without shedding, and I fully expect mtl to have to take back a contract in a petry deal to a contender, which i think is something the habs would do. My argument was only against this notion that they will retain a significant portion of his contract, i dont think they will need too. I think Detroit is an option, and one where they can take on that contract. Would bring veteran presence to a pretty young team.

Theres many ways a petry deal can go down and theres no rush to move him at the TDL, habs can be patient on this.

Well yes and no. The thing is the longer he continues being terrible the less interest he's likely to fetch. Yes, they shouldn't be hasty, but memory is a fickle thing, and say if it takes them a full year and Petry's level is not upgrading the interest will keep fading away.

I'd say the next draft is the final point when that deal can be made. After that it gets more unlikely the guy ever moves.
    Feb. 7, 2022 at 12:20 p.m.
    If it is a non-playoff team interested it won't be a TDL trade it will happen in the offseason. Even respected journalists make predictions that don't happen. After Friedman said Toronto was interested in Bertuzzi ALMOST EVERY Leafs fan here at CapFriendly was sure they were getting Bertuzzi. Hughes said they are in no hurry to make a deal at the deadline.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll